Outlook 2003 on Vista

Have tried all sorts but can not get Outlook 2003 to send or receive on
Vista, the test settings work and that actually sends a email as if i
check with Windows Mail it receives the test message.

In Outlook 2003 options the Send Receive option button does not bring up
the Group Sending and other options window and the send receive button
does nothing.

Just switched to Mozilla Thunderbird and got everything working great,
may just stay with that.
0
campaman (10)

"CampaMan" <campaman@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> Just switched to Mozilla Thunderbird and got everything working great, may
> just stay with that.

If all you need is a mail client, don't bother with Outlook.  Stick to
Windows Mail or whatever other non-PIM client you want.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
11/18/2008 8:26:50 PM
find and delete the srs file for your profile.
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/filepath.htm

However, if thunderbird meets *your* needs, by all means use it. It's silly
to use Outlook "just because it came with office."

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"CampaMan" <campaman@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Have tried all sorts but can not get Outlook 2003 to send or receive on
> Vista, the test settings work and that actually sends a email as if i
> check with Windows Mail it receives the test message.
>
> In Outlook 2003 options the Send Receive option button does not bring up
> the Group Sending and other options window and the send receive button
> does nothing.
>
> Just switched to Mozilla Thunderbird and got everything working great, may
> just stay with that.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/18/2008 9:34:37 PM
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
> find and delete the srs file for your profile.
> http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/filepath.htm
>
> However, if thunderbird meets *your* needs, by all means use it. It's
> silly to use Outlook "just because it came with office."

I had found that tip already and deleted the file but still no joy.

I agree with your comment on not using Outlook, but as it comes as part
of a suit of software that I have paid for it would be nice to have it
working, as also at the moment I have other problems with Word,
Powerpoint, Publisher and Frontpage with the installer dialog popping up
each time I open them, so basically apart from Access and Excell most of
my office suit is unusable.

I have contacted MS regarding this and other problems with Vista, and
the general answer is use the KB's or the newsgroups.

It gets very frustrating when you can not get something as well known as
Office 2003 to actually work.
0
campaman (10)
11/19/2008 9:04:15 AM
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
> "CampaMan" <campaman@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Just switched to Mozilla Thunderbird and got everything working great,
>> may just stay with that.
>
> If all you need is a mail client, don't bother with Outlook.  Stick to
> Windows Mail or whatever other non-PIM client you want.

Yes I understand this comment, but see my reply below, I did use the PIM
part of Outlook but at the moment, I have no choice but to use another
email client as my preferred one will not work.
0
campaman (10)
11/19/2008 9:05:30 AM
On the installer, did you run detect and repair from one of the programs in
the suite?

When I buy office, I got pro because I need outlook, word, access, onenote,
and excel. I get a bunch of other crap I really don't need - but I figure if
I use them, fine, if I don't, I'm not going to worry about it. I paid for
the apps I need, everything else in the package is free.  I have never used
powerpoint, I have never used publisher. I'm not going to use either just
because "I paid for them" - I will use them if the need arises and they are
the best tool for the job. I won't force myself to use them when another
tool works better for me - because they are not the reason I bought the
suite. I bought the suite because the cost value of buying it seemed to be a
better deal than buying the apps I needed individually @ ~$100 each or as
part of a different suite.

--

> Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
>> find and delete the srs file for your profile.
>> http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/filepath.htm
>>
>> However, if thunderbird meets *your* needs, by all means use it. It's
>> silly to use Outlook "just because it came with office."
>>

> I had found that tip already and deleted the file but still no joy.
>
> I agree with your comment on not using Outlook, but as it comes as part of
> a suit of software that I have paid for it would be nice to have it
> working, as also at the moment I have other problems with Word,
> Powerpoint, Publisher and Frontpage with the installer dialog popping up
> each time I open them, so basically apart from Access and Excell most of
> my office suit is unusable.
>
> I have contacted MS regarding this and other problems with Vista, and the
> general answer is use the KB's or the newsgroups.
>
> It gets very frustrating when you can not get something as well known as
> Office 2003 to actually work.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/19/2008 12:39:57 PM
"CampaMan" <campaman@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> It gets very frustrating when you can not get something as well known as
> Office 2003 to actually work.

I imagine so, but since a ton of people do use Outlook 2003 on Vista, it
can't be a systemic problem.  In your original post, you said you "tried all
sorts".  Please be specific in describing what you've done.  State EXACTLY
how you configured your account (with the exception of real mail addresses
or passwords).  State EXACTLY what errors you see, if any, when you click
Send/Receive.  Enable diagnostic logging and see that's happening between
Outlook and the server.  Look in the Event log for any Outlook-related
events.  You have to give us more information than simply "I can't make it
work."
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
11/19/2008 12:42:49 PM
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
> On the installer, did you run detect and repair from one of the programs
> in the suite?
>
> When I buy office, I got pro because I need outlook, word, access,
> onenote, and excel. I get a bunch of other crap I really don't need -
> but I figure if I use them, fine, if I don't, I'm not going to worry
> about it. I paid for the apps I need, everything else in the package is
> free.  I have never used powerpoint, I have never used publisher. I'm
> not going to use either just because "I paid for them" - I will use them
> if the need arises and they are the best tool for the job. I won't force
> myself to use them when another tool works better for me - because they
> are not the reason I bought the suite. I bought the suite because the
> cost value of buying it seemed to be a better deal than buying the apps
> I needed individually @ ~$100 each or as part of a different suite.

Yes I have run the detect and repair multiple times, I have uninstalled
and re-installed multiple times as well.

I would like to get the Office programs to work as it has been paid for
and as we are in a business environment we get files sent to us that are
in the Microsoft Office format and need to reply in the same format.
0
campaman (10)
11/19/2008 1:55:09 PM
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
> "CampaMan" <campaman@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>
>> It gets very frustrating when you can not get something as well known
>> as Office 2003 to actually work.
>
> I imagine so, but since a ton of people do use Outlook 2003 on Vista, it
> can't be a systemic problem.  In your original post, you said you "tried
> all sorts".  Please be specific in describing what you've done.  State
> EXACTLY how you configured your account (with the exception of real mail
> addresses or passwords).  State EXACTLY what errors you see, if any,
> when you click Send/Receive.  Enable diagnostic logging and see that's
> happening between Outlook and the server.  Look in the Event log for any
> Outlook-related events.  You have to give us more information than
> simply "I can't make it work."

The email account is a pop3 account via BT. If you use the test
connection in the account settings dialog, the test works and everything
reports as being OK. The test email is sent, that I know as if I log
onto my mail account with Vista's Windows Mail the message arrives.

If you press the Send Receive button on Outlooks toolbar nothing
happens, the button just goes back to being un-selected. If you go into
Outlooks options and got to the Mail Setup Tab and click the
Send/Receive... button to set send receive options, nothing happens.

On Outlooks menu, Tools, Send/Receive, Send Receive Settings, Define
Send Receive groups, nothing happens, no dialogs etc.

There are NO error messages.

The Event Log has nothing, it is as though certain parts of Outlook are
not working.

I have tried the Detect and repair multiple times also from other office
programs, and have alo un-installed and re-intstalled multiple times.

As mentioned I also have the installer window popping up in all but
Access and Excell, which means they take 1-2 minutes to load before you
can use them, i mention this incase the problems are connected.
0
campaman (10)
11/19/2008 2:03:30 PM
I would try setting up a completely new Outlook profile first through
Control Panel | Mail

Also, I'm curious - what exactly does this installer Window say?

--
-Patrick Reed

Patrick Reed wrote:
> I would try setting up a completely new Outlook profile first through
> Control Panel | Mail
>
> Also, I'm curious - what exactly does this installer Window say?

Yep, have tried deleting the profile and starting with a new one, still
the same.

The installer says Configuring Microsoft ' The actual program that you
are loading' with a cancel button, there are other posts about this when
searching google but does not seem to be any definative answer
0
campaman (10)
11/19/2008 4:42:56 PM
Do you let it finish?

--

> Patrick Reed wrote:
>> I would try setting up a completely new Outlook profile first through
>> Control Panel | Mail
>>
>> Also, I'm curious - what exactly does this installer Window say?
>>

> Yep, have tried deleting the profile and starting with a new one, still
> the same.
>
> The installer says Configuring Microsoft ' The actual program that you are
> searching google but does not seem to be any definative answer

0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/19/2008 6:03:39 PM
"CampaMan" <campaman@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> On Outlooks menu, Tools, Send/Receive, Send Receive Settings, Define Send
> Receive groups, nothing happens, no dialogs etc.

With Outlook closed, delete the (hidden) file
%AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook\yourprofile.SRS and give it another go.
Patrick's advice to try a new profile is good as well.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
11/19/2008 6:26:48 PM
CampaMan

Just a shot in the dark. See what Office apps are already in the =
installer. Is there 2 instances of Outlook by any chance

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

--=20
Peter

> Patrick Reed wrote:
>> I would try setting up a completely new Outlook profile first through =

>> Control Panel | Mail
>>=20
>> Also, I'm curious - what exactly does this installer Window say?
>>=20
>=20
> Yep, have tried deleting the profile and starting with a new one, =
still=20
> the same.
>=20
> The installer says Configuring Microsoft ' The actual program that you =

> are loading' with a cancel button, there are other posts about this =
when=20
> searching google but does not seem to be any definative answer
0
okf221 (388)
11/19/2008 6:50:44 PM
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
> Do you let it finish?

Yes it finishes.
0
campaman (10)
11/20/2008 10:02:32 AM
Peter Foldes wrote:
> CampaMan
>
> Just a shot in the dark. See what Office apps are already in the installer. Is there 2 instances of Outlook by any chance
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Have this tool already and there are only one instance of Outlook and it
shows no failed installs
0
campaman (10)
11/20/2008 10:03:10 AM
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
> "CampaMan" <campaman@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>
>> On Outlooks menu, Tools, Send/Receive, Send Receive Settings, Define
>> Send Receive groups, nothing happens, no dialogs etc.
>
> With Outlook closed, delete the (hidden) file
> %AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook\yourprofile.SRS and give it another go.
> Patrick's advice to try a new profile is good as well.

Hi

Have already tried deleting the prs file and deleted and created new
profiles
0
campaman (10)
11/20/2008 10:03:41 AM
Ok. Well, it sounds as if we're running out of options here.

If it were me, at this point I would suspect registry issues. This may be
worth a try...

Set up a new user account on the machine and add it to the local
administrators group. Log in as that new user and perform a complete
uninstall of Office. Reboot. Now, perform a complete reinstall of Office.
Log back in with that fresh, new admin account and try setting up a new
Outlook profile with the same settings. Does it work now? Try it with your
account... how about now?

--
-Patrick Reed

Patrick Reed wrote:
> Ok. Well, it sounds as if we're running out of options here.
>
> If it were me, at this point I would suspect registry issues. This may
> be worth a try...
>
> Set up a new user account on the machine and add it to the local
> administrators group. Log in as that new user and perform a complete
> uninstall of Office. Reboot. Now, perform a complete reinstall of
> Office. Log back in with that fresh, new admin account and try setting
> up a new Outlook profile with the same settings. Does it work now? Try
> it with your account... how about now?

Hi Patrick

Thats a new idea, I will give it a try and report back.

Thanks
0
campaman (10)
11/20/2008 3:37:50 PM
Hey, you're not alone. I've got the same problem.

Anyone have any more clues?

0
goldelux (2)
1/30/2009 4:23:01 PM
Nope. But we might if we know what this was about - including the previous
message in your reply helps a lot.

--

"goldelux" <goldelux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey, you're not alone. I've got the same problem.
>
> Anyone have any more clues?

0
outlookmvp (5838)
1/30/2009 8:38:37 PM
Sorry : Here's my problem :

I can not get Outlook 2003 to receive on
Vista. The test settings work and that actually sends a email. I
check using Windows Mail and it receives the test message.

In Outlook 2003 tools, options the Send Receive option button does not bring
up
the Group Sending and other options window and the send/receive button
does nothing.

I've tried setting up a new profile but it makes no differrence.

All suggestions welcome...

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> Nope. But we might if we know what this was about - including the previous
> message in your reply helps a lot.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "goldelux" <goldelux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey, you're not alone. I've got the same problem.
> >
> > Anyone have any more clues?

0
goldelux (2)

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

outlook 2007 e-mail

Outlook context menu lost most options
Hi there. I'd dearly love some help with this matter. It's been going on for months now. Has anyone got any idea how I can sort this issue out? "Jonathan E. (NZ)" <s_pam_stop@hotmail.comTAKEOUTTHESECAPS> wrote in message news:<eYICp6NCFHA.3976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... Hi there, I run outlook 2003. It would seem that the context menu has lost the plot. It looks like outlook has gone into some "mode" other than the one it is usually in by default. I have found that when I right click on any mail folder the context menu has very different options f...

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook