Outlook 2003: My "auto suggest" email address does not work after reboot

Running Windows 7 HP 64.

After I access names in the Contact list, they will be auto suggested as I
start to type a letter, but if I reboot, its as if I've never done it.

Never had that happened before.

???

0
Hotkey

"Hotkey" <noway@notnow.com> wrote in message

> Running Windows 7 HP 64.
>
> After I access names in the Contact list, they will be auto suggested as I
> start to type a letter, but if I reboot, its as if I've never done it.
>
> Never had that happened before.

This is a sighn that Outlook isn't closing properly.  Start Outlook in safe
mode (hold Ctrl when starting) to see if the behavior changes.  If so, then
you have an add-in interfering with the proper closing of Outlook.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
11/18/2009 8:03:21 PM
That means the profile is buggy or outlook isn't closing correctly. See
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/nicknamecache.asp

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Hotkey" <noway@notnow.com> wrote in message
> Running Windows 7 HP 64.
>
> After I access names in the Contact list, they will be auto suggested as I
> start to type a letter, but if I reboot, its as if I've never done it.
>
> Never had that happened before.
>
> ???

0
Diane
11/18/2009 8:41:23 PM
The only Add-In I see is Exchange Extensions property pages.  I have no idea
what that is.  Is that normal in here?

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Hotkey" <noway@notnow.com> wrote in message
>
>> Running Windows 7 HP 64.
>>
>> After I access names in the Contact list, they will be auto suggested as
>> I start to type a letter, but if I reboot, its as if I've never done it.
>>
>> Never had that happened before.
>
> This is a sighn that Outlook isn't closing properly.  Start Outlook in
> safe mode (hold Ctrl when starting) to see if the behavior changes.  If
> so, then you have an add-in interfering with the proper closing of
> Outlook.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Hotkey
11/19/2009 1:01:36 PM

> The only Add-In I see is Exchange Extensions property pages.  I have no idea
> what that is.  Is that normal in here?

Did you look in both COM Add-Ins and Add-In Manager?  Did you actually try
safe mode?  Do you have a hand-held device with which you sync?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
11/19/2009 1:11:52 PM
It's normal, but unless you use Exchange server account, is not required and
you could safely disable it.

See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.asp for the types of programs
that may keep it open - something their might ring a bell.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

> The only Add-In I see is Exchange Extensions property pages.  I have no
> idea what that is.  Is that normal in here?
>
> "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "Hotkey" <noway@notnow.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Running Windows 7 HP 64.
>>>
>>> After I access names in the Contact list, they will be auto suggested as
>>> I start to type a letter, but if I reboot, its as if I've never done it.
>>>
>>> Never had that happened before.
>>
>> This is a sighn that Outlook isn't closing properly.  Start Outlook in
>> safe mode (hold Ctrl when starting) to see if the behavior changes.  If
>> so, then you have an add-in interfering with the proper closing of
>> Outlook.
>> --
>> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Diane
11/19/2009 1:33:53 PM
I tired Safe Mode and it seemed to work correctly there.  I did NOT look in
COM area.  iTunes helper.  I do sync Contacts and Calendar to iPod so I
suppose I need that.  I've always done this though and never had issues
before.

I have a Wireless Sync utility for my Verizon Palm Centro push mail/outlook
sync.  But again, have had it for long time with no issues.  Now?

> "Hotkey" <noway@notnow.com> wrote in message
>
>> The only Add-In I see is Exchange Extensions property pages.  I have no
>> idea what that is.  Is that normal in here?
>
> Did you look in both COM Add-Ins and Add-In Manager?  Did you actually try
> safe mode?  Do you have a hand-held device with which you sync?
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Hotkey
11/19/2009 4:54:00 PM
Note details in prior post on Brian's note.  I do have some of these.

> It's normal, but unless you use Exchange server account, is not required
> and you could safely disable it.
>
> See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.asp for the types of programs
> that may keep it open - something their might ring a bell.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> Poll: What version of Outlook do you use?
> http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=27072
>

> "Hotkey" <noway@notnow.com> wrote in message
>> The only Add-In I see is Exchange Extensions property pages.  I have no
>> idea what that is.  Is that normal in here?
>>
>> "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> "Hotkey" <noway@notnow.com> wrote in message

>>> This is a sighn that Outlook isn't closing properly.  Start Outlook in
>>> safe mode (hold Ctrl when starting) to see if the behavior changes.  If
>>> so, then you have an add-in interfering with the proper closing of
>>> Outlook.
>>> --
>>> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Hotkey
11/19/2009 4:55:03 PM

>I tired Safe Mode and it seemed to work correctly there.  I did NOT look in
>COM area.  iTunes helper.  I do sync Contacts and Calendar to iPod so I
>suppose I need that.  I've always done this though and never had issues
>before.
>
> I have a Wireless Sync utility for my Verizon Palm Centro push mail/outlook
> sync.  But again, have had it for long time with no issues.  Now?

If it works in safe mode, then you do have an add-in interfering.  Disable
them all and then re-enable them one at a time until it fails again.

Just because it has worked in the past doesn't mean anything unless you can
guarantee that none of them has received an update.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian

Auto suggest names in TO.. Outlook 2002
I have switched from outlook express to outlook. In express, as soon as I started typing a "TO" name, autofill suggested a name from my address book that fit the spelling. This happens sometimes in outlook but is very slow and mostly, it does not make suggestions. I have it turned on in "Tools, options email- advanced. Suggest names." Any ideas? -- \\\|/// \\ ~ ~ // ( @ @ ) --oOOo-(_)-oOOo--- Charlie Yes, the autocomplete cache file is called the NK2 file. It is populated from outgoing e-mails. It do...

Auto Suggest
Does the "Auto Suggest" feature work only on names that you've sent emails to? It doesn't seem to be woorking on hardly any of the names in my address book. Actually, it doesn't even work on a friends addy who I did recently send email to. It does work on a couple names but I'm wondering if there's a box that isn't checked or something???? Yes, you need to build the cache from sent items first. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account wil...

Outlook auto suggest name compleation.
While in Outlook, I would like my auto select use my contact list as a default address book. My goal is to use the auto complete (auto suggest) when typing in address's etc. I have the auto select checked in the preferences although nothing comes up or auto fills the name and email etc. Thanks. TEC Outlook 2003 >-----Original Message----- >You forgot to mention your Outlook version. > >-- >Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP >Author of > Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for > Administrators, Power Users, and Developers > http://www.outlook...

Auto suggest
One of the features i like from Open Office, is the auto-suggest / auto-complete word as you type. Say for example i type accommo the program will show accommodation as an option and i just hit enter to make the choice accepted. Can Word do this too? It could through Word2003, and it's been reported that the feature was restored in Word2010. Although if you've already gotten as far as "accommo," that particular AutoCorrect doesn't do you much good, since in that word it's the number of c's and m's that's tricky, and how would it know wheth...

Auto Suggest Name
I use Outlook 2002 and 2003. When I begin to type a name in the "To:" field to start an email I receive suggestions as to who I am going to email (for example when if I am going to email Jon Doe at Hotmail.com, when I type the first two letters of his name, it auto suggests to me his full email address). I like this feature, however it only gives me suggestions from my "contacts" folder contained under my "Personal Folder". It DOES NOT give me suggestion for individuals (contacts) I have set up in other folders contained in a subfolder under my "Co...

Outlook 2002 and email auto suggest? #2
1 - How do I turn this option on/off? 2 - How do I remove any cached names that could be incorrect over time? ...

Running Windows 7 HP 64. After I access names in the Contact list, they will be auto suggested as I start to type a letter, but if I reboot, its as if I've never done it. Never had that happened before. ??? "Hotkey" <noway@notnow.com> wrote in message news:OPqTXyHaKHA.3992@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Running Windows 7 HP 64. > > After I access names in the Contact list, they will be auto suggested as I > start to type a letter, but if I reboot, its as if I've never done it. > > Never had that happened before. This is a sighn...

Outlook 2002 and email auto suggest?
1 - How do I turn this option on/off? 2 - How do I remove any cached names that could be incorrect over time? Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use your arrow key to migrate to the entry) and then hitting your Delete key before you tab out of the field. To clear the entire cache, follow the instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q287623 Turn off the option in Tools > Options > Preferences > Email options... > Advanced Email options... > Sugges...

Re: Outlook 2002 and email auto suggest?
repost: The option selected is "show hidden files and folders" - is that right? > "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:#GdVdkKoEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > > JDS <noway@notnow.net> wrote: > > Did you enable hidden folders as well? The file itself is not hidden, but > > is in a subfolder of a hidden folder. The usual path is > > %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Outlook > > -- > > Brian Tillman > > > > ...