Outlook 2003 - moved PST to another location, lost settings...

Hello.

I copied my PST file from my D: drive to my F: drive.
I then went into "Data File Management" to get the new location
recognized and to have all future mail sent to that location.

After doing this, my custom settings, like new folders, date
settings, columns, etc, are all back to their default settings.

Is there any way I can get my custom settings working again on the F:
drive?

Thanks,
Dan

0
not7712 (112)

Could you explain yourself a bit more? What custom settings are you refering
to? You mean views? And what new folder settings?
Also post your version of Outlook.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?

-----
"beldar" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I copied my PST file from my D: drive to my F: drive.
> I then went into "Data File Management" to get the new location
> recognized and to have all future mail sent to that location.
>
> After doing this, my custom settings, like new folders, date
> settings, columns, etc, are all back to their default settings.
>
> Is there any way I can get my custom settings working again on the F:
> drive?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

0
Roady
12/21/2004 9:32:29 AM
Roady [MVP] wrote Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:32:29 GMT %n

> Could you explain yourself a bit more? What custom settings are you
> refering to? You mean views? And what new folder settings?

Ok, the folder settings are fine. What I mean by that is...new folders I
created within my "Personal Folders" are fine. But other than that,
everything appears to be back to the default. Columns are now the
wrong size. Grid lines are now on. The AutoPreview is now turned on when
I had it off.

I assumed that the PST file would retain my previous settings but
apparently it does not.

So the question to the group is if there's a quick way to get my
previous settings back.

> Also post your version of Outlook.

Outlook 2003. It's in the subject line.

Thanks,
Dan
0
not7712 (112)
12/21/2004 10:30:02 AM
Oops, I see it is in the subject indeed. Sorry about that :-)

Custom views "should" be stored in the pst-file indeed and moving the
pst-file around "shouldn't" have done anything about that. If they don't
show up when you move your pst-file back to it's original position I don't
think that it's possible to restore them.

--

> Roady [MVP] wrote Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:32:29 GMT %n
>
>> Could you explain yourself a bit more? What custom settings are you
>> refering to? You mean views? And what new folder settings?
>
> Ok, the folder settings are fine. What I mean by that is...new folders I
> created within my "Personal Folders" are fine. But other than that,
> everything appears to be back to the default. Columns are now the
> wrong size. Grid lines are now on. The AutoPreview is now turned on when
> I had it off.
>
> I assumed that the PST file would retain my previous settings but
> apparently it does not.
>
> So the question to the group is if there's a quick way to get my
> previous settings back.
>
>> Also post your version of Outlook.
>
> Outlook 2003. It's in the subject line.
>

> Thanks,
> Dan

0
Roady
12/21/2004 12:06:26 PM
"Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net>
wrote in news:u2depV15EHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

> Oops, I see it is in the subject indeed. Sorry about that :-)
>
> Custom views "should" be stored in the pst-file indeed and moving
> the pst-file around "shouldn't" have done anything about that. If
> they don't show up when you move your pst-file back to it's original
> position I don't think that it's possible to restore them.

I've seen that happen when I move my pst file from the PC to the laptop
the custom settings are gone.  I make my changes (not exactly matching
the PC) and when I move the file back to the PC, they're the same as
they were before on the PC, so they must be stored somewhere else.  Not
in the pst, dat, rwz or srs files, I know!  (Even the Rules weren't
right when I moved them over to the laptop - had to reset a bunch. And
then when I moved the pst back to the PC, my rules were messed up
again)

Sherry
0
sherdh (27)
12/21/2004 4:22:17 PM
Views are stored within the pst-file just like rules but rules are specific
for the machine that they were created on so moving the pst around messes up
rules indeed.

--

"Sherry" <sherdh@excite.com> wrote in message
> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net>
> wrote in news:u2depV15EHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
>
>> Oops, I see it is in the subject indeed. Sorry about that :-)
>>
>> Custom views "should" be stored in the pst-file indeed and moving
>> the pst-file around "shouldn't" have done anything about that. If
>> they don't show up when you move your pst-file back to it's original
>> position I don't think that it's possible to restore them.
>>

> I've seen that happen when I move my pst file from the PC to the laptop
> the custom settings are gone.  I make my changes (not exactly matching
> the PC) and when I move the file back to the PC, they're the same as
> they were before on the PC, so they must be stored somewhere else.  Not
> in the pst, dat, rwz or srs files, I know!  (Even the Rules weren't
> right when I moved them over to the laptop - had to reset a bunch. And
> then when I moved the pst back to the PC, my rules were messed up
> again)
>
> Sherry

0
Roady

Crash on 'Send"

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Set request parameters for web services

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

move cell contents

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away

Outlook 2003

cant start outlook pst file to large

"Save" preferences getting lost
List members: I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently. Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a default of thirty minutes. I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. - Mark Pavlick Hi Mark: That indicates that your user ID does not have permission to write to the preference file that Word is using, or that something is replacing the preference file. With the help of your System...

Reminders in Outlook

No Warning When Transaction Edits Are Going To Be Lost
I don't know how many times I have finished editing a transaction, and then inadvertently clicked somewhere else, like up into the register to see a prior example, and lost all my edits. The real problem is that there is no notification from Money that I am about to lose all my edits, it just trashes them. Sure would be nice if Money asked me if I want to save the edits before discarding them, yes?? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" b...

Outlook default to paragraph

Addressing within Exchange 2003

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...