Outlook 2003 hangs during receive

Hi folks,

After an HD crash and subsequent fresh rebuild of Win XP and Office 2003 
(both fully patched), I have found OL hangs every now again during a 
receive. The message is "Receiving 45B of 180KB" or similar. OL just sits 
there forever until timeout. I never had this issue on the old system; 
it's only since the rebuild a week or so back. I have tried removing my 
AV (first McAffe, then NOD32) and my spam filter (K9) but still no joy. I 
also tried deleting and recreating my profile. Messenger integration and 
the internal OL spam filter are both turned off. I have found that during 
a hang, I can visit my ISP via a web interface, delete the offending mail 
and then OL works fine again on the next receive. The emails that OL 
hangs on have an attachment, usually a virus.

I googled for this issue and found that it seems to be a relatively 
common occurrence, but I've not seen a definitive fix yet. Could it be 
some sort of conflict between emails with disallowed file attachments 
(.PIF etc common to many viruses) and rules which move or delete spam? 
I'd be very grateful if anyone could shed any light. Thank you.

-- 
Regds,
Bob Osola
0
bobosola (1)
4/23/2004 10:05:30 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 11 followers. Follow

3 Replies
260 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 41

I've been having this same problem for a while. I've had 
it from several providers as well, though others with the 
same software (OL2000) have not experienced it. Wish 
someone could find the solution.
>-----Original Message-----
>Hi folks,
>
>After an HD crash and subsequent fresh rebuild of Win XP 
and Office 2003 
>(both fully patched), I have found OL hangs every now 
again during a 
>receive. The message is "Receiving 45B of 180KB" or 
similar. OL just sits 
>there forever until timeout. I never had this issue on 
the old system; 
>it's only since the rebuild a week or so back. I have 
tried removing my 
>AV (first McAffe, then NOD32) and my spam filter (K9) but 
still no joy. I 
>also tried deleting and recreating my profile. Messenger 
integration and 
>the internal OL spam filter are both turned off. I have 
found that during 
>a hang, I can visit my ISP via a web interface, delete 
the offending mail 
>and then OL works fine again on the next receive. The 
emails that OL 
>hangs on have an attachment, usually a virus.
>
>I googled for this issue and found that it seems to be a 
relatively 
>common occurrence, but I've not seen a definitive fix 
yet. Could it be 
>some sort of conflict between emails with disallowed file 
attachments 
>(.PIF etc common to many viruses) and rules which move or 
delete spam? 
>I'd be very grateful if anyone could shed any light. 
Thank you.
>
>-- 
>Regds,
>Bob Osola
>.
>
0
anonymous (74722)
4/24/2004 12:47:03 AM
If you are using Outlook 2003, try adjusting the Spam 
filter settings. They were causing me grief at one point.


>-----Original Message-----
>I've been having this same problem for a while. I've had 
>it from several providers as well, though others with the 
>same software (OL2000) have not experienced it. Wish 
>someone could find the solution.
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Hi folks,
>>
>>After an HD crash and subsequent fresh rebuild of Win XP 
>and Office 2003 
>>(both fully patched), I have found OL hangs every now 
>again during a 
>>receive. The message is "Receiving 45B of 180KB" or 
>similar. OL just sits 
>>there forever until timeout. I never had this issue on 
>the old system; 
>>it's only since the rebuild a week or so back. I have 
>tried removing my 
>>AV (first McAffe, then NOD32) and my spam filter (K9) 
but 
>still no joy. I 
>>also tried deleting and recreating my profile. Messenger 
>integration and 
>>the internal OL spam filter are both turned off. I have 
>found that during 
>>a hang, I can visit my ISP via a web interface, delete 
>the offending mail 
>>and then OL works fine again on the next receive. The 
>emails that OL 
>>hangs on have an attachment, usually a virus.
>>
>>I googled for this issue and found that it seems to be a 
>relatively 
>>common occurrence, but I've not seen a definitive fix 
>yet. Could it be 
>>some sort of conflict between emails with disallowed 
file 
>attachments 
>>(.PIF etc common to many viruses) and rules which move 
or 
>delete spam? 
>>I'd be very grateful if anyone could shed any light. 
>Thank you.
>>
>>-- 
>>Regds,
>>Bob Osola
>>.
>>
>.
>
0
anonymous (74722)
4/24/2004 1:25:03 AM
I recently started to experience the same behavior where 
Outlook 2003 simply hangs during the send/receive 
process. (E.g. Send receive progress 33%).

If I hit the cancel button it seems to cancel the task 
but when I subsequently try to exit Outlook, it stops 
responding and I have to kill the process.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
 Joe

>-----Original Message-----
>If you are using Outlook 2003, try adjusting the Spam 
>filter settings. They were causing me grief at one point.
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>I've been having this same problem for a while. I've 
had 
>>it from several providers as well, though others with 
the 
>>same software (OL2000) have not experienced it. Wish 
>>someone could find the solution.
>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>Hi folks,
>>>
>>>After an HD crash and subsequent fresh rebuild of Win 
XP 
>>and Office 2003 
>>>(both fully patched), I have found OL hangs every now 
>>again during a 
>>>receive. The message is "Receiving 45B of 180KB" or 
>>similar. OL just sits 
>>>there forever until timeout. I never had this issue on 
>>the old system; 
>>>it's only since the rebuild a week or so back. I have 
>>tried removing my 
>>>AV (first McAffe, then NOD32) and my spam filter (K9) 
>but 
>>still no joy. I 
>>>also tried deleting and recreating my profile. 
Messenger 
>>integration and 
>>>the internal OL spam filter are both turned off. I 
have 
>>found that during 
>>>a hang, I can visit my ISP via a web interface, delete 
>>the offending mail 
>>>and then OL works fine again on the next receive. The 
>>emails that OL 
>>>hangs on have an attachment, usually a virus.
>>>
>>>I googled for this issue and found that it seems to be 
a 
>>relatively 
>>>common occurrence, but I've not seen a definitive fix 
>>yet. Could it be 
>>>some sort of conflict between emails with disallowed 
>file 
>>attachments 
>>>(.PIF etc common to many viruses) and rules which move 
>or 
>>delete spam? 
>>>I'd be very grateful if anyone could shed any light. 
>>Thank you.
>>>
>>>-- 
>>>Regds,
>>>Bob Osola
>>>.
>>>
>>.
>>
>.
>
0
anonymous (74722)
7/7/2004 12:17:48 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Major bug in Outlook 2K(SP3)? Puts emails into the Junk E-Mail folder randomly?! #2
My Junk Sender list is empty and "move to Junk E-Mail folder" is tuned off!. Nevertheless, from time to time (once in a few days), Outlooks puts one legitimate email into the Junk E-Mail folder! It is an old problem that existed ever since I installed the original version and throughout all 3 SPs- 1, 2 & 3 upgrades. If I would not see it with my own eyes, it would be hard to believe it. I am using W2K+SP4. Any knowledgeable hint is appreciated. Thanks, David ...

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003
How do I migrate I personal folders file (.pst) from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003? Read the Help Files: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "rolo" <rolo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:706405A0-2971-409F-B213-67714B12713C@microsoft.com... > How do I migrate I personal folders file (.pst) from Outlook 2000 to > Outlook > 2003? Thanks Russ it helped. By the way how can I get to this useful help files? "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote: > Read the Help Files: > htt...

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook
How do you transfer files from OE to Outlook - inbox, contacts, etc. Can you do so if you have already started using Outlook but want to bring these files over. cooker <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do you transfer files from OE to Outlook - inbox, contacts, etc. > Can you do so if you have already started using Outlook but want to > bring these files over. Start Outlook Express, click File>Export>Messages. If you have Outlook running at the same time, you'll see the messages appear in Outlook. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson ...

OL 2002 Hanging up When Attaching Docs
I have been having a problem recently that is probably an easy fix .... just need some guidance. Running OL 2002 on an XP PRO machine connected to a Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000. Everytime I go to attach a file to an email it takes forever to navigate through the trees, often resulting in the program freezing. Have tried Detect and Repair but no difference. Problem just started a few weeks ago but have not added anything to my system. Can anyone help? ...

Outlook Sales
I have installed the CRM Server,Outlook Router, SQL, the whole nine yards so to say. So now when I try to install the Sales for Outlook CD, it gets to "Initializing" and then crashes with an error message that is unknown. Here is the message; Product: Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook -- Installation operation failed. The Event ID is 11708, any help would be appreciated. It is running on WIN2000 Server with Dual Xeon 3.06 with 2GB of Ram. Thanks, Bobby Bobby You cannot install the outlook client on the same machine as the MSCRM server - that's probably why it's bomb...

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)
Does anyone know of a place where I can find a bunch of various macros for outlook? I've looked around and found 1 or 2 but I would think someone has a large amount of them.. Thanks Dave dave wrote: > Does anyone know of a place where I can find a bunch of > various macros for outlook? I've looked around and found > 1 or 2 but I would think someone has a large amount of > them.. > > Thanks > > Dave Dunno, but a Google search on "Outlook macros" gets about 55,000 hits.... G'Day Dave, Try: http://www.outlookvba.com/examples//allexamples...

Outlook 0x800ccc0d error when Norton e-mail protect enabled: see hosts
This post is made to help others solve this issue, based on my experience. Symptom: - Outlook works perfectly well when Norton Anti-Virus e-mail protection is disabled - Outlook cannot retrieve incoming messages when NAV e-mail protection is enabled, message being: pop3 server not found, error 0x800ccc0d This symptom, and possible solutions, are exactly the object of Symantec support note: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000020716064206 Please read this note first ! The object of this post is to add another possible solution to this problem. NAV email protection sets up...

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails
I have an issue where there is a SBS 2003 server (newly installed) & when I drag emails to the file system (explorer window) in order to create file records of the emails it generates an error. Dialog Box Name: Error Copying File or Folder Error Msg: Not enough storage is available to process this command. I can't find an error logged anywhere, either on the server event logs or on the local machine event logs... I have searched the MS KB & Office online, but no joy yet... If anyone can help that would be great!!! R ...

Redirect Exchange 2000 IS backup to different Exchange 2003 server
I recently added an Exchange 2003 server to the same org as a 2000 server. I have dbs from the 2000 server that I need to restore to retrieve email from a user whose mailbox was moved to 2003. So I need to restore the db for that mailbox from BEFORE it was moved because when you move mailboxes you lose any deleted items that were being saved by retention policy. Is this possible? I'm using Veritas Backup Exec 10 but nothing in their support KB seems to follow this exact scenario. If it helps, the old Exch 2000 server is currently empty of users and is ready to be uninstalled. W...

using the journal on outlook
Once I link an email to the journal, can I still find that email in my mail box? I seem to be able to get to it only via the journal. If this is the way it is supposed to be, how do I remove it from the journal and get it back into my mail box? Am I just missing something? -- thanks, Independent Are you linking to the item or putting a copy into the journal item? Also, has the item been archived or not? "Independent" <Independent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:868279F2-53C8-403A-97F5-604CEECD873C@microsoft.com... > Once I link an email to the journ...

How do I see when new messages without outlook running?
Without Outlook 2003 constantly running, how do I send mail or know when I have new mail? two possible answers... 1) you don't or 2) you acquired a 3rd party app to occasionally poll your pop3/imap account "Leslie Adams" <Leslie Adams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D37C11C7-722C-4E91-9393-735A49C11701@microsoft.com... > Without Outlook 2003 constantly running, how do I send mail or know when I > have new mail? ...

will CRM load on a 2003 server?
will CRM load on a 2003 server? Microsoft CRM v1.2 supports Windows 2000/2003 Server. Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. >> Other Microsoft CRM Online Forum Resources: http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm >-----Original Message----- >will CRM load on a 2003 server? >. > No problem. We just completed a 1.2 installation on a 2003 server, without any problems. Brian Demoe "Troy Hicks" <tlhicks@nc.rr.com> wrote in message news:03dd01c3dcb2$93653a00$a501280a@phx.gbl... > will CRM load on a 2003 server? CRM 1.2 will also load on Small business server 2003 as wel...

Filters not working in Exchange 2003
I have been trying to turn on the Recipient, Connection, and Sender filters. I have gone to the Default SMTP Virtual Server and turned it on there without getting an error but when I go to the Properties and add senders to block and the hit Apply, it tells me that I must manually turn the filtering on in the SMTP VS. I have stopped and started the Default SMTP VS but still no luck. Any ideas? Hi Wayne That is a standard dialog box, it does not check to see if it is already enabled, have you tested the sender filtering? -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Limited This posting is provided &quo...

setup Windows Mail as Word 2003 default emailer
All I can do is setup Outlook. I do not use Outlook. I would like to email Word docs using MS Windows Mail (new version of Express) In the Windows Start area, type Regedit into the search bar and then start the Registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Clients>Mail Right Click on the (Default) item and then on Modify and in the Value data: field enter Windows Mail so that after you click OK, you have (Default) REG_SZ WIndows Mail -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a pa...

How do I Remove a Split from my Comments in Excel 2003? #2
I have set my current workbook to split/freeze the first column and first 2 rows. Now, when I add a comment to the second row (in any column) my comments are cut off if I should scroll down. I don't ever remember the behavior before. And I don't know what I've done to enable it but it's really annoying. How do turn this off ? ...

Cannot open Outlook, keep getting Send error report of Microsoft.
We are having problems with Outlook 2003. Everytime we try to open, we get this: Send error report to Microsoft. Any ideas why? All windows and office update have been completed. ...

unable to paste Excel 2003 chart into Outlook 2003
(This was posted on "excel.charting" group.) I have a user who's unable to paste an Excel 2003 chart into Outlook 2003 email message. In Outlook options, the checkbox is selected for "Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages". When I tested this on my own computer running the same version of Office, if the box is check, I have no problem pasting; if this box is cleared, I cannot paste. But on his computer, it doesn't work regardless. Thanks and regards, TL ...

Is anyone an expert with outlook that I can call on the phone?
How do I share calenders between outlook and my MSN Premier account? Assuming you are using the outlook connector, you need to set the msn account to be the default message store then outlook will use the msn calendar as the default. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM You can access this...

AR invoicing update GL but not receivables
We have an issue where the GL is updated with invoicing activity, but in some cases the receivables side is not. Any piror issues with this, advice on how to figure out the problem, etc? Thanks I have only heard of the opposite happening - AR subledger is updated, but the GL is not. Can you walk through exactly what happens? What type of AR document in what screen? What is the 'On Account' amount? What are the GL distributions? Where are you going to see that the AR subledger is not updated? Where do you see that the GL is updated? -- Victoria Yudin Microsoft MVP - Gre...

cannot open hyper links in outlook
when I try to open a hyperlink in outlook, I get the following message: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator. ----- I am the system administrator. HELP This is a problem with IE, not Outlook. You need to reset your internet settings in IE's Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab. (Or Control Panel, Internet options, Advanced tab). See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm for more information. "Donald McNeely" <Donald McNeely@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Stop Outlook from starting up automatically
Once I installed Outlook2003, it now runs automatically on startup. How do I disable this? -- | +-- Julian | are you using a PDA that is trying to access the data in it? If so, make sure the device is not connected when you boot. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook ne...

Does Outlook use the DAV protocol?
I'm an Outlook Express user who wants to switch to Outlook. I received a notice from Microsoft that includes the following: "... as of June 30, 2008, Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer be able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express." Please tell me if this action by Microsoft will affect Outlook in the same manner, or am I free to make the switch. "BudV" <BudVitoff@(NO)att.(SPAM)net> wrote in message news:%230XUDi%23zIHA.2384@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I'm an Outlook Express user who wants to switch to Outlook...

outlook 97 and express email problems
Hi, I am currently on an IBM X21 laptop and is running windows 98 se with office 97 pro. I recently experienced some problems with outlook (illegal operations etc) and reinstalled office to fix the problem but since then I have not been able to send or recieve emails with outlook 97 and outlook express 6. I simply get an error message saying the host can't be found (but does exist and I can ping it successfully). Any suggestions on what I might do? I have tried creating new accounts in windows mail and outlook express, but I still get the same error. Thankyou in advance! Tim D...

Outlook Recall Msg Process
Problem: A user "recalls" an email message previously sent to four individuals. One recall request did not retrieve the message in a timely manner. The original message (OM) and recall message were in the recipient's mailbox. If the recipient opened the original message before opening the Recall Message (RM) Request, then they would be able to read the message. If the recipient opened the Recall Request first, the recall request AND the original message disappeared from mailbox. TechNet Information: It appears Message Recall will not be successful if: - The recipient...

CRM and Outlook Integration 07-22-03
Hello, I haven't seen a whole lot of great documentation on this - so if someone knows where some exists then please tell me - but I'm curious as to how featured the Outlook/CRM integration is? I see there is an addin for Outlook that gets installed, but it looks to me like it's nothing more than a synchronization tool between Outlook and the SQL Server - am I right? It looks like it syncs Contacts, Emails, Calendar dates, etc. I've looked through the SDK documentation and I've browsed a couple posts, but none really say outright in exactly what way does Outlook and CRM ...