Outlook 2003 "Full Name..." field in contact screen reversed.

Outlook 2003 "Full Name..." field in contact screen reversed.

I am using XP, with Outlook 2003.
For some reason, all my 800 contacts are having a problem.
When I open the contact screen the "Full Name... " field is displaying names
backwards.

"Mr. John Smith"  displays as "Mr. Smith John"

I have checked my "Contacts Options" selection for default Full Name order
and it correctly displays "First (Middle) Last"...

I have noticed that if I delete the name and re-enter it, it displays
correctly, however I cannot spend the time to do this for 800 contacts.

I am curious as to how this could have gotten screwed up, but more
importantly, I want to know how to fix this easily, without having to edit
all 800 contacts.

Thank You!

Derek

The setting to which you refer only applies to new Contacts, not existing
ones. Your existing Contacts will display the way you created them, and only
you know that.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"EastAsia" <Private@AsiaWorld.com> wrote in message
> Outlook 2003 "Full Name..." field in contact screen reversed.
>
> I am using XP, with Outlook 2003.
> For some reason, all my 800 contacts are having a problem.
> When I open the contact screen the "Full Name... " field is displaying
> names backwards.
>
> "Mr. John Smith"  displays as "Mr. Smith John"
>
> I have checked my "Contacts Options" selection for default Full Name order
> and it correctly displays "First (Middle) Last"...
>
> I have noticed that if I delete the name and re-enter it, it displays
> correctly, however I cannot spend the time to do this for 800 contacts.
>
> I am curious as to how this could have gotten screwed up, but more
> importantly, I want to know how to fix this easily, without having to edit
> all 800 contacts.
>
> Thank You!
>
> Derek

0
russval1 (2100)
10/4/2006 9:34:09 PM
But, Russ, they were all displaying correctly until a short time ago.

I am convinced something happened and they were changed.  I am a very
particular Outlook user, and it is my lifeblood for my business.  What
happened though, I don't know.  I do know they weren't like this before.

No way to automatically switch them back?

Thanks for your help.

Derek

> The setting to which you refer only applies to new Contacts, not existing
> ones. Your existing Contacts will display the way you created them, and
> only you know that.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "EastAsia" <Private@AsiaWorld.com> wrote in message
>> Outlook 2003 "Full Name..." field in contact screen reversed.
>>
>> I am using XP, with Outlook 2003.
>> For some reason, all my 800 contacts are having a problem.
>> When I open the contact screen the "Full Name... " field is displaying
>> names backwards.
>>
>> "Mr. John Smith"  displays as "Mr. Smith John"
>>
>> I have checked my "Contacts Options" selection for default Full Name
>> order and it correctly displays "First (Middle) Last"...
>>
>> I have noticed that if I delete the name and re-enter it, it displays
>> correctly, however I cannot spend the time to do this for 800 contacts.
>>
>> I am curious as to how this could have gotten screwed up, but more
>> importantly, I want to know how to fix this easily, without having to
>> edit all 800 contacts.
>>
>> Thank You!
>>
>> Derek

That would be a first. The only way to changed derived fields like "Full
Name" or "File As..." for existing Contacts is to run code.
--
> But, Russ, they were all displaying correctly until a short time ago.
>
> I am convinced something happened and they were changed.  I am a very
> particular Outlook user, and it is my lifeblood for my business.  What
> happened though, I don't know.  I do know they weren't like this before.
>
> No way to automatically switch them back?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Derek
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> The setting to which you refer only applies to new Contacts, not existing
>> ones. Your existing Contacts will display the way you created them, and
>> only you know that.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "EastAsia" <Private@AsiaWorld.com> wrote in message
>>> Outlook 2003 "Full Name..." field in contact screen reversed.
>>>
>>> I am using XP, with Outlook 2003.
>>> For some reason, all my 800 contacts are having a problem.
>>> When I open the contact screen the "Full Name... " field is displaying
>>> names backwards.
>>>
>>> "Mr. John Smith"  displays as "Mr. Smith John"
>>>
>>> I have checked my "Contacts Options" selection for default Full Name
>>> order and it correctly displays "First (Middle) Last"...
>>>
>>> I have noticed that if I delete the name and re-enter it, it displays
>>> correctly, however I cannot spend the time to do this for 800 contacts.
>>>
>>> I am curious as to how this could have gotten screwed up, but more
>>> importantly, I want to know how to fix this easily, without having to
>>> edit all 800 contacts.
>>>
>>> Thank You!
>>>
>>> Derek

0
russval1 (2100)
10/5/2006 7:10:29 PM
Hmmm... So a Sync program could have done it then?

Ok...

Thanks

> That would be a first. The only way to changed derived fields like "Full
> Name" or "File As..." for existing Contacts is to run code.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "EastAsia" <Private@AsiaWorld.com> wrote in message
>> But, Russ, they were all displaying correctly until a short time ago.
>>
>> I am convinced something happened and they were changed.  I am a very
>> particular Outlook user, and it is my lifeblood for my business.  What
>> happened though, I don't know.  I do know they weren't like this before.
>>
>> No way to automatically switch them back?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Derek
>>

>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The setting to which you refer only applies to new Contacts, not
>>> existing ones. Your existing Contacts will display the way you created
>>> them, and only you know that.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "EastAsia" <Private@AsiaWorld.com> wrote in message

Sure could. Importing Contacts can, too.
--
> Hmmm... So a Sync program could have done it then?
>
> Ok...
>
> Thanks
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> That would be a first. The only way to changed derived fields like "Full
>> Name" or "File As..." for existing Contacts is to run code.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "EastAsia" <Private@AsiaWorld.com> wrote in message
>>> But, Russ, they were all displaying correctly until a short time ago.
>>>
>>> I am convinced something happened and they were changed.  I am a very
>>> particular Outlook user, and it is my lifeblood for my business.  What
>>> happened though, I don't know.  I do know they weren't like this before.
>>>
>>> No way to automatically switch them back?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> Derek
>>>

>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message

0