Outlook 2003 - error (0x80070057)

I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to Vista, the
following problem cropped up.

When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the following error
message:
Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the
operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.'  (note: "Main" is
my primary pop3/SMTP server).

My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the server, and they
have no idea.
I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.

It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the affected items
seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or imbedded
Internet links.
However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go through just
fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will go
through.

Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?

Thanks.

You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going on behind the
scenes. Take a look at this article for info on logging:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp

--
Kathleen Orland
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

"Joe" wrote:

> I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to Vista, the
> following problem cropped up.
>
> When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the following error
> message:
> Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the
> operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.'  (note: "Main" is
> my primary pop3/SMTP server).
>
> My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the server, and they
> have no idea.
> I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.
>
> It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the affected items
> seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or imbedded
> Internet links.
> However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go through just
> fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will go
> through.
>
> Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?
>
> Thanks.

0
KOrland1 (1012)
3/22/2007 1:25:43 PM
Joe

I have exactly the same problem - but without the Vista trigger.  I hope
someone has a suggestion.

"Joe" wrote:

> I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to Vista, the
> following problem cropped up.
>
> When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the following error
> message:
> Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the
> operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.'  (note: "Main" is
> my primary pop3/SMTP server).
>
> My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the server, and they
> have no idea.
> I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.
>
> It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the affected items
> seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or imbedded
> Internet links.
> However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go through just
> fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will go
> through.
>
> Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?
>
> Thanks.

0
JWT (2)
3/28/2007 1:48:20 AM
Thanks, but that didn't work.  Registry changes are all there, but the log
file is not created.  The folder structure described is not created, so I
created it manually--to no avail.  A search of all files with "smtp" or "log"
in the filename filas to show any such log file.

"K. Orland" wrote:

> You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going on behind the
> scenes. Take a look at this article for info on logging:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp
>
> --
> Kathleen Orland
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>

> "Joe" wrote:
>
> > I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to Vista, the
> > following problem cropped up.
> >
> > When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the following error
> > message:
> > Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the
> > operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.'  (note: "Main" is
> > my primary pop3/SMTP server).
> >
> > My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the server, and they
> > have no idea.
> > I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.
> >
> > It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the affected items
> > seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or imbedded
> > Internet links.
> > However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go through just
> > fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will go
> > through.
> >
> > Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?
> >
> > Thanks.

0
Joe (497)
6/8/2007 11:23:00 PM
Following advice I found in another thread, I discovered the OPMLOG file.  It
logs all activity, not just SMTP.  Here is the snippet where I was trying to
send:

  2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): Begin execution
  2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): End execution
  2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation started (flags = 00000030)
  2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: DoPOPDownload(flags = 00000030, max msg =
ffffffff): full items
  2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 0x80070057
  2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation completed

I don't see anything helful there.  Unfortunately, the error message in play
seems to translate to: "Wow! Something unexpected happened, but we have no
earthly idea of what it was or how to describe it."

"Joe" wrote:

> Thanks, but that didn't work.  Registry changes are all there, but the log
> file is not created.  The folder structure described is not created, so I
> created it manually--to no avail.  A search of all files with "smtp" or "log"
> in the filename filas to show any such log file.
>
> "K. Orland" wrote:
>
> > You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going on behind the
> > scenes. Take a look at this article for info on logging:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp
> >
> > --
> > Kathleen Orland
> > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> > http://www.howto-outlook.com/
> >

> > "Joe" wrote:
> >
> > > I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to Vista, the
> > > following problem cropped up.
> > >
> > > When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the following error
> > > message:
> > > Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the
> > > operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.'  (note: "Main" is
> > > my primary pop3/SMTP server).
> > >
> > > My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the server, and they
> > > have no idea.
> > > I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.
> > >
> > > It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the affected items
> > > seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or imbedded
> > > Internet links.
> > > However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go through just
> > > fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will go
> > > through.
> > >
> > > Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?
> > >
> > > Thanks.

0
Joe (497)
6/9/2007 12:12:01 AM
I would try running Detect and Repair (from the Help Menu), you'll likely
need your Office CD.

If that doesn't make a difference, I would rename your current mail profile
(use the mail applet in the Control Panel) and create a new one. You'll find
instructions on how to do that here:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm

Let me know if either or neither works. Good luck!
--
Kathleen Orland
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

"Joe" wrote:

> Following advice I found in another thread, I discovered the OPMLOG file.  It
> logs all activity, not just SMTP.  Here is the snippet where I was trying to
> send:
>
>   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): Begin execution
>   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): End execution
>   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation started (flags = 00000030)
>   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: DoPOPDownload(flags = 00000030, max msg =
> ffffffff): full items
>   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 0x80070057
>   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation completed
>
> I don't see anything helful there.  Unfortunately, the error message in play
> seems to translate to: "Wow! Something unexpected happened, but we have no
> earthly idea of what it was or how to describe it."
>
> "Joe" wrote:
>
> > Thanks, but that didn't work.  Registry changes are all there, but the log
> > file is not created.  The folder structure described is not created, so I
> > created it manually--to no avail.  A search of all files with "smtp" or "log"
> > in the filename filas to show any such log file.
> >
> > "K. Orland" wrote:
> >
> > > You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going on behind the
> > > scenes. Take a look at this article for info on logging:
> > >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp
> > >
> > > --
> > > Kathleen Orland
> > > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> > > http://www.howto-outlook.com/

0
KOrland1 (1012)
6/11/2007 2:48:02 AM
 Thanks.  I've tried those steps several times, to no effect.  I have three
email addresses (all on the same ISP, though), and they all behave the same
way.

My ISP swears it it not a problem on their end (and judging by the number of
people here who report similar behavior. I suspect my ISP may be right);
however, they only support OE and webmail--so they will give me no help in
seeking a solution.

At this point, I'm convinced it's a bug in Outlook that is not ISP specific,
so I'm trying to decide which alternate mail program to switch to.

"K. Orland" wrote:

> I would try running Detect and Repair (from the Help Menu), you'll likely
> need your Office CD.
>
> If that doesn't make a difference, I would rename your current mail profile
> (use the mail applet in the Control Panel) and create a new one. You'll find
> instructions on how to do that here:
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
>
> Let me know if either or neither works. Good luck!
> --
> Kathleen Orland
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>

> "Joe" wrote:
>
> > Following advice I found in another thread, I discovered the OPMLOG file.  It
> > logs all activity, not just SMTP.  Here is the snippet where I was trying to
> > send:
> >
> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): Begin execution
> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): End execution
> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation started (flags = 00000030)
> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: DoPOPDownload(flags = 00000030, max msg =
> > ffffffff): full items
> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 0x80070057
> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation completed
> >
> > I don't see anything helful there.  Unfortunately, the error message in play
> > seems to translate to: "Wow! Something unexpected happened, but we have no
> > earthly idea of what it was or how to describe it."
> >
> > "Joe" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks, but that didn't work.  Registry changes are all there, but the log
> > > file is not created.  The folder structure described is not created, so I
> > > created it manually--to no avail.  A search of all files with "smtp" or "log"
> > > in the filename filas to show any such log file.

0
Joe (497)
6/11/2007 5:51:02 PM
Honestly, the best troubleshooting step might be to look at the actual
network traffic with a protocol sniffer to see what exactly is being sent
that the server doesn't seem to agree with.  That's probably the only way
you'll get to the bottom of the problem.

--
f.h.
"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks.  I've tried those steps several times, to no effect.  I have three
> email addresses (all on the same ISP, though), and they all behave the
> same
> way.
>
> My ISP swears it it not a problem on their end (and judging by the number
> of
> people here who report similar behavior. I suspect my ISP may be right);
> however, they only support OE and webmail--so they will give me no help in
> seeking a solution.
>
> At this point, I'm convinced it's a bug in Outlook that is not ISP
> specific,
> so I'm trying to decide which alternate mail program to switch to.
>
> "K. Orland" wrote:
>
>> I would try running Detect and Repair (from the Help Menu), you'll likely
>> need your Office CD.
>>
>> If that doesn't make a difference, I would rename your current mail
>> profile
>> (use the mail applet in the Control Panel) and create a new one. You'll
>> find
>> instructions on how to do that here:
>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
>>
>> Let me know if either or neither works. Good luck!
>> --
>> Kathleen Orland
>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>>

>> "Joe" wrote:
>>
>> > Following advice I found in another thread, I discovered the OPMLOG
>> > file.  It
>> > logs all activity, not just SMTP.  Here is the snippet where I was
>> > trying to
>> > send:
>> >
>> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): Begin execution
>> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): End execution
>> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation started (flags = 00000030)
>> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: DoPOPDownload(flags = 00000030, max msg =
>> > ffffffff): full items
>> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr =
>> > 0x80070057
>> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation completed
>> >
>> > I don't see anything helful there.  Unfortunately, the error message in
>> > play
>> > seems to translate to: "Wow! Something unexpected happened, but we have
>> > no
>> > earthly idea of what it was or how to describe it."

0
f.h.muffman (751)
6/11/2007 6:02:05 PM
Where does one get a "protocol sniffer"?

What irritates me is the "Aw geez, something went wrong... sorry 'bout
that..." nature of the error message.  That's the way Macintosh does it!

"F.H. Muffman" wrote:

> Honestly, the best troubleshooting step might be to look at the actual
> network traffic with a protocol sniffer to see what exactly is being sent
> that the server doesn't seem to agree with.  That's probably the only way
> you'll get to the bottom of the problem.
>
> --
> f.h.
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks.  I've tried those steps several times, to no effect.  I have three
> > email addresses (all on the same ISP, though), and they all behave the
> > same
> > way.
> >
> > My ISP swears it it not a problem on their end (and judging by the number
> > of
> > people here who report similar behavior. I suspect my ISP may be right);
> > however, they only support OE and webmail--so they will give me no help in
> > seeking a solution.
> >
> > At this point, I'm convinced it's a bug in Outlook that is not ISP
> > specific,
> > so I'm trying to decide which alternate mail program to switch to.
> >
> > "K. Orland" wrote:
> >
> >> I would try running Detect and Repair (from the Help Menu), you'll likely
> >> need your Office CD.
> >>
> >> If that doesn't make a difference, I would rename your current mail
> >> profile
> >> (use the mail applet in the Control Panel) and create a new one. You'll
> >> find
> >> instructions on how to do that here:
> >> http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
> >>
> >> Let me know if either or neither works. Good luck!
> >> --
> >> Kathleen Orland
> >> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> http://www.howto-outlook.com/

0
Joe (497)
6/11/2007 9:40:00 PM
There's no polite way to say this, so, I beg your forgiveness.

If you don't know where to get a protocol sniffer, you're going to need a
lot of help in setting it up, using it and interpreting the results.  It's
sorta like the whole 'If you have to ask, you can't afford it' thing.

But, really, if your ISP says it's not their problem, I'd ask them 'How can
you tell?  What is Outlook sending to you that produces the error?'  If they
can't tell you, then, well, really, they can't know it isn't their problem.
I mean, really, it comes down to this question:  What is the command that
Outlook sends to the SMTP server that produces the error?  Knowing that, it
might be possible to figure out what's wrong in Outlook.  Or, honestly, it
might not be.  It might need to be one of those things that only Microsoft
can figure out through tech support.

--
> Where does one get a "protocol sniffer"?
>
> What irritates me is the "Aw geez, something went wrong... sorry 'bout
> that..." nature of the error message.  That's the way Macintosh does it!
>
> "F.H. Muffman" wrote:
>
>> Honestly, the best troubleshooting step might be to look at the actual
>> network traffic with a protocol sniffer to see what exactly is being sent
>> that the server doesn't seem to agree with.  That's probably the only way
>> you'll get to the bottom of the problem.
>>
>> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks.  I've tried those steps several times, to no effect.  I have
>> > three
>> > email addresses (all on the same ISP, though), and they all behave the
>> > same way.
>> >
>> > My ISP swears it it not a problem on their end (and judging by the
>> > number of
>> > people here who report similar behavior. I suspect my ISP may be
>> > right);
>> > however, they only support OE and webmail--so they will give me no help
>> > in
>> > seeking a solution.
>> >
>> > At this point, I'm convinced it's a bug in Outlook that is not ISP
>> > specific,
>> > so I'm trying to decide which alternate mail program to switch to.

0
f.h.muffman (751)
6/12/2007 12:36:47 AM
Have you turned on Diagnostic Logging?  Do so, and send something out, =
verify that is is not received and then post the relevant portions of =
the error log that show the problem (will probably have a "failed" =
somewhere).

--=81
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading. =20

After furious head scratching, Joe asked:

| Thanks.  I've tried those steps several times, to no effect.  I have
| three email addresses (all on the same ISP, though), and they all
| behave the same way.
|=20
| My ISP swears it it not a problem on their end (and judging by the
| number of people here who report similar behavior. I suspect my ISP
| may be right); however, they only support OE and webmail--so they
| will give me no help in seeking a solution.
|=20
| At this point, I'm convinced it's a bug in Outlook that is not ISP
| specific, so I'm trying to decide which alternate mail program to
| switch to.=20
|=20
| "K. Orland" wrote:
|=20
|| I would try running Detect and Repair (from the Help Menu), you'll
|| likely need your Office CD.
||=20
|| If that doesn't make a difference, I would rename your current mail
|| profile (use the mail applet in the Control Panel) and create a new
|| one. You'll find instructions on how to do that here:
|| http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
||=20
|| Let me know if either or neither works. Good luck!
|| --
|| Kathleen Orland
|| Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
|| http://www.howto-outlook.com/
||=20
||=20
||=20
|| "Joe" wrote:
||=20
||| Following advice I found in another thread, I discovered the OPMLOG
||| file.  It logs all activity, not just SMTP.  Here is the snippet
||| where I was trying to send:
|||=20
|||   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): Begin execution
|||   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): End execution
|||   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation started (flags =3D
|||   00000030) 2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: DoPOPDownload(flags =3D
||| 00000030, max msg =3D ffffffff): full items
|||   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr =3D
|||   0x80070057 2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation completed
|||=20
||| I don't see anything helful there.  Unfortunately, the error
||| message in play seems to translate to: "Wow! Something unexpected
||| happened, but we have no earthly idea of what it was or how to
||| describe it."=20
|||=20
||| "Joe" wrote:
|||=20
||||=20
||||=20
0
MillyS (3228)

Outlook Sales

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

Filters not working in Exchange 2003