Outlook 2003 - changing default folder view

We're on Exchange 2003 and have started rolling out Outlook 2003 in place of
Outlook 2000.

In Outlook 2003 by default all folders come up grouped by day and with solid
lines between the messages. Everyone hates these "features" and has made a
point of telling me so. Yes, each individual folder can be changed back
through the user interface but that's a non-solution for 100 users that have
an average of 25 folders each plus the 50 or so public folders as well.

Is there any way to change this default behavior in Outlook 2003 so that all
folders come up without the solid lines and not grouped? If so I'd really
appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

See http://www.howto-outlook.com/faw/classicview2003.htm

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?

-----
"Gary McDonnell" <garymcdonnell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We're on Exchange 2003 and have started rolling out Outlook 2003 in place
> of
> Outlook 2000.
>
> In Outlook 2003 by default all folders come up grouped by day and with
> solid
> lines between the messages. Everyone hates these "features" and has made a
> point of telling me so. Yes, each individual folder can be changed back
> through the user interface but that's a non-solution for 100 users that
> have
> an average of 25 folders each plus the 50 or so public folders as well.
>
> Is there any way to change this default behavior in Outlook 2003 so that
> all
> folders come up without the solid lines and not grouped? If so I'd really
> appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks in advance!

0
Roady
12/14/2004 8:35:06 PM
You need to reset the views and then change the Messages view - see
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm for the basic steps needed to
change a view globally.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Gary McDonnell" <garymcdonnell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We're on Exchange 2003 and have started rolling out Outlook 2003 in place
> of
> Outlook 2000.
>
> In Outlook 2003 by default all folders come up grouped by day and with
> solid
> lines between the messages. Everyone hates these "features" and has made a
> point of telling me so. Yes, each individual folder can be changed back
> through the user interface but that's a non-solution for 100 users that
> have
> an average of 25 folders each plus the 50 or so public folders as well.
>
> Is there any way to change this default behavior in Outlook 2003 so that
> all
> folders come up without the solid lines and not grouped? If so I'd really
> appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks in advance!

0
dianenws (1904)
12/14/2004 8:35:16 PM
Thank you both! I had tried the define view but had been selecting the
Current View rather than Messages.

The client was ready to shoot me over this (have been rolling out Office
2003 for them). Amazing how one irritation can sour people even though
they're very happy with the rest of the upgrade...

/gary

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <dianenws@poremsky.com> wrote in message
You need to reset the views and then change the Messages view - see
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm for the basic steps needed to
change a view globally.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Gary McDonnell" <garymcdonnell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We're on Exchange 2003 and have started rolling out Outlook 2003 in place
> of
> Outlook 2000.
>
> In Outlook 2003 by default all folders come up grouped by day and with
> solid
> lines between the messages. Everyone hates these "features" and has made a
> point of telling me so. Yes, each individual folder can be changed back
> through the user interface but that's a non-solution for 100 users that
> have
> an average of 25 folders each plus the 50 or so public folders as well.
>
> Is there any way to change this default behavior in Outlook 2003 so that
> all
> folders come up without the solid lines and not grouped? If so I'd really
> appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks in advance!

It's just a thing you need to get used to. I hated it at first but I've got
grouping (with shading) enabled now and I'm not gonna change back! :-)

--

> Thank you both! I had tried the define view but had been selecting the
> Current View rather than Messages.
>
> The client was ready to shoot me over this (have been rolling out Office
> 2003 for them). Amazing how one irritation can sour people even though
> they're very happy with the rest of the upgrade...
>
> /gary
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <dianenws@poremsky.com> wrote in message
> You need to reset the views and then change the Messages view - see
> http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm for the basic steps needed
> change a view globally.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)

> "Gary McDonnell" <garymcdonnell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> We're on Exchange 2003 and have started rolling out Outlook 2003 in place
>> of
>> Outlook 2000.
>>
>> In Outlook 2003 by default all folders come up grouped by day and with
>> solid
>> lines between the messages. Everyone hates these "features" and has made
>> point of telling me so. Yes, each individual folder can be changed back
>> through the user interface but that's a non-solution for 100 users that
>> have
>> an average of 25 folders each plus the 50 or so public folders as well.
>>
>> Is there any way to change this default behavior in Outlook 2003 so that
>> all
>> folders come up without the solid lines and not grouped? If so I'd really
>> appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!

0
Roady

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

New Disk storage

Runtime Error when closing OUTLOOK 2k

Store Operations crashes when viewing journal (F4) on register 2.
We have two registers, register 1 is the main machine where the database is located and register 2 is networked into it. Whenever you try to view the journal (F4) on register 2, the program crashes and gives this message just before closing: Run-time error '-2147417848 (80010108)': Automation error The object invoked has disconnected from its clients. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Install a default windows printer on register 2 - even if it's just something like the print to fax or MS Office Document...

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Crash on 'Send"

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Outlook default to paragraph