Outlook 2003 - Cannot connect to email server

I have just installed Outlook but when attempting to send a message I get two
error messages Ox8004210A and B. Both indicate timeout in connecting to the
server. I have at other times had messages indicating a failure to connect to
the Internet. However, I am using the same PC to connect to the Internet with
Internet Explorer and Outlook Express quite successfully. I have checked the
setup for email within Outlook several times. I can see no error.

We have two PCs linked by Ethernet cable. One is the ICS host and the PC
with the problem is the ICS client. Windows Firewall is active on the host
only. The problem is still there when the Firewall is deactivated.

There are a number of articles on the Knowledgebase about these error
messages but none of them seem to address my particular problem.

Has anyone any other alternative line of approach please?

0
Jephatrye (3)

Jephatrye <Jephatrye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have just installed Outlook but when attempting to send a message I
> get two error messages Ox8004210A and B. Both indicate timeout in
> connecting to the server. I have at other times had messages
> indicating a failure to connect to the Internet. However, I am using
> the same PC to connect to the Internet with Internet Explorer and
> Outlook Express quite successfully. I have checked the setup for
> email within Outlook several times. I can see no error.

If Outlook Express on that machine works, try importing its account values
into Outlook with File>Import and Export>Import Internet Mail Account
Settings
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)
2/28/2005 8:59:57 PM
Many thanks for your advice. I did try and successfully transferred the
settings from Outlook Express. Unfortunately, the same error messages still
arise. Is it possible there is some conflict between the two programs? I do
not have Outlook Express running when I am trying to send a message from
Outlook.

Jephatrye

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Jephatrye <Jephatrye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I have just installed Outlook but when attempting to send a message I
> > get two error messages Ox8004210A and B. Both indicate timeout in
> > connecting to the server. I have at other times had messages
> > indicating a failure to connect to the Internet. However, I am using
> > the same PC to connect to the Internet with Internet Explorer and
> > Outlook Express quite successfully. I have checked the setup for
> > email within Outlook several times. I can see no error.
>
> If Outlook Express on that machine works, try importing its account values
> into Outlook with File>Import and Export>Import Internet Mail Account
> Settings
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
Jephatrye (3)
3/2/2005 3:23:07 PM
Jephatrye <Jephatrye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Many thanks for your advice. I did try and successfully transferred
> the settings from Outlook Express. Unfortunately, the same error
> messages still arise. Is it possible there is some conflict between
> the two programs?

I don't know of any conflict and, in general, the two programs are
completely independent and do not conflict.  However, I'm at a loss for any
other suggestions.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)
3/2/2005 4:14:48 PM
Thanks again for trying. I'm sure that it will turn out to be a 'silly'.
Perhaps some else may have a suggestion. The only additional info I have is
that Outlook Email is fine on the host PC and that also is running Outlook
Express.

Thanks

Jephatrye

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Jephatrye <Jephatrye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Many thanks for your advice. I did try and successfully transferred
> > the settings from Outlook Express. Unfortunately, the same error
> > messages still arise. Is it possible there is some conflict between
> > the two programs?
>
> I don't know of any conflict and, in general, the two programs are
> completely independent and do not conflict.  However, I'm at a loss for any
> other suggestions.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0