Outlook 2003 Can't Open Item MS OFFICE FAILED

Yikes, I'm having a real problem.  I am running
Windows XP with Service Pack 2 Home Edition
Office 2003 with Service Pack 2 (only have Outlook and Word installed)
Toshiba Notebook M15-S405 Satellite Pro
1.4 ghz with 512 mgs ram

I woke up one morning and saw that I had a stop error window open on my
computer explaining that Windows had encountered some kind of driver
error and that windows had to restart.  Windows offered that I review
my system for serious errors.  That is a very sad thing to wake up to.

So I ran a chkdsk and defragged and a virus check.  No problems there.
I checked my drivers, but all of them seemed operational and fine.

I do typically use a 2nd monitor and wireless mouse which was not
connected at the time of the error, so I double checked those and then
reran all those same checks with the monitor and mouse plugged in.  I
didn't see any real problems, until I went to open OUTLOOK.  It did
open with no problems and downloaded emails.  But after it was done, I
double clicked an email and a simple small stop error window opened
saying "Can't Open this Item"  with no other code or explanation as to
why.  I've tried new and old email, and in the middle of testing I got
a balloon from my toolbar that said "MICROSOFT OUTLOOK HAS FAILED".
That was a sad little balloon, I'll tell you that.

So, I uninstalled, and reinstalled and updated and repaired but I
haven't got it to work.  I restored my computer to a week before the
error, but still I'm having problems.  Checking the Event Viewer I got
this :

0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45   System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72   rror  Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65   ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 35    1000005
0020: 30 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d   0  Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 65 64   eters ed
0030: 64 65 37 62 30 34 2c 20   de7b04,
0038: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30   00000000
0040: 2c 20 38 30 35 36 61 66   , 8056af
0048: 64 37 2c 20 30 30 30 30   d7, 0000
0050: 30 30 30 30               0000

But when I click the Help & Support links, there's no real explanation
as to what exactly happened or how to fix.  Man, can anyone out there
help me?  I've ran several virus checks and done a thorough scrubbing
of my hard disk.  What is going on?

luby@junkjunkie.com

0
luby (5)

Check your application event viewer, post any Outlook or Office errors by
Event ID and source.
You also may want to scan your PST for errors. You can also run detect and
repair from the Help menu. There are other options to test out as well, but I
would want to start with those.
--
Kathleen Orland
Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light

"luby@junkjunkie.com" wrote:

> Yikes, I'm having a real problem.  I am running
> Windows XP with Service Pack 2 Home Edition
> Office 2003 with Service Pack 2 (only have Outlook and Word installed)
> Toshiba Notebook M15-S405 Satellite Pro
> 1.4 ghz with 512 mgs ram
>
> I woke up one morning and saw that I had a stop error window open on my
> computer explaining that Windows had encountered some kind of driver
> error and that windows had to restart.  Windows offered that I review
> my system for serious errors.  That is a very sad thing to wake up to.
>
> So I ran a chkdsk and defragged and a virus check.  No problems there.
> I checked my drivers, but all of them seemed operational and fine.
>
> I do typically use a 2nd monitor and wireless mouse which was not
> connected at the time of the error, so I double checked those and then
> reran all those same checks with the monitor and mouse plugged in.  I
> didn't see any real problems, until I went to open OUTLOOK.  It did
> open with no problems and downloaded emails.  But after it was done, I
> double clicked an email and a simple small stop error window opened
> saying "Can't Open this Item"  with no other code or explanation as to
> why.  I've tried new and old email, and in the middle of testing I got
> a balloon from my toolbar that said "MICROSOFT OUTLOOK HAS FAILED".
> That was a sad little balloon, I'll tell you that.
>
> So, I uninstalled, and reinstalled and updated and repaired but I
> haven't got it to work.  I restored my computer to a week before the
> error, but still I'm having problems.  Checking the Event Viewer I got
> this :
>
> 0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45   System E
> 0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72   rror  Er
> 0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65   ror code
> 0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 35    1000005
> 0020: 30 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d   0  Param
> 0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 65 64   eters ed
> 0030: 64 65 37 62 30 34 2c 20   de7b04,
> 0038: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30   00000000
> 0040: 2c 20 38 30 35 36 61 66   , 8056af
> 0048: 64 37 2c 20 30 30 30 30   d7, 0000
> 0050: 30 30 30 30               0000
>
> But when I click the Help & Support links, there's no real explanation
> as to what exactly happened or how to fix.  Man, can anyone out there
> help me?  I've ran several virus checks and done a thorough scrubbing
> of my hard disk.  What is going on?
>
> luby@junkjunkie.com

0
KOrland1 (1012)
4/4/2006 3:10:04 PM
I've scanned my PST for errors and tried doing a detect and repair.
The scan found no problem.  The Detect & repair goes about 50% of the
way through and then asks for the OFFICE disk.  i put it in and it does
not recognize it.  I don't really know how to show office errors by
Event ID & source.  Sorry, but I'm still desperate. I've tried
everything I know besides reinstalling windows, which I don't want to
do.  Trying to look at the EVENT VIEWER, I can't see the Event ID, but
using properties on some of the issues, I see, 'The Application
Management service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found. ' and the source is Service
Manager.   Man, I am desperate!

0
luby (5)
4/11/2006 9:21:29 PM
If you double click one of the errors in the event viewer, you should see an
event ID number and source. That information would be quite helpful.
Also, when you see a Windows STOP screen, please read the information here
in order to troubleshoot it. Usually the STOP screen (BSOD) has quite useful
information. This site will help you to learn to read the information.
--

"luby@junkjunkie.com" wrote:

> I've scanned my PST for errors and tried doing a detect and repair.
> The scan found no problem.  The Detect & repair goes about 50% of the
> way through and then asks for the OFFICE disk.  i put it in and it does
> not recognize it.  I don't really know how to show office errors by
> Event ID & source.  Sorry, but I'm still desperate. I've tried
> everything I know besides reinstalling windows, which I don't want to
> do.  Trying to look at the EVENT VIEWER, I can't see the Event ID, but
> using properties on some of the issues, I see, 'The Application
> Management service terminated with the following error:
> The specified module could not be found. ' and the source is Service
> Manager.   Man, I am desperate!

0
KOrland1 (1012)
4/12/2006 12:54:02 PM
Alright.  First off when the Windows stop screen shows up, after I
double-click an email in outlook, the only thing that window says, is,
'Can't Open This Item' and that's it.  The box that opens is small and
says MICROSOFT OUTLOOK on the header.  Shortly after that box opens, a
balloon opens at the bottom right on my taskbar which says, 'MICROSOFT
OUTLOOK FAILED' and that's all it says.  When I click on the balloon
NOTHING happens.  So, looking back at my Event Viewer, only one of
three things shows up repeatedly for when I've tried to open OUTLOOK.
The info is as follows:

SOURCE: Service Control Manager
CATEGORY: None
EVENT ID: 7000
error:

SOURCE: System Error
CATEGORY: None
EVENT ID: 1003
00000000, parameter3 8056afd7, parameter4 00000000.

SOURCE: Service Control manager
CATEGORY: None
EVENT ID: 7023
following error:
The specified module could not be found.

I did see that the disk reported some bad blocks a few times, but not
only have I cleaned the heck out of the disk and defragged and all
that, but the bad blocks happened in seperate instances from the
outlook events.  Hope this helps - I sure need to get this fixed.

0
luby (5)
4/13/2006 5:35:45 PM
I think we are both defining a STOP screen differently. You will need to
describe it to me, to me a STOP screen is a Windows blue screen (BSOD). The
only way to get out of it is to power off and then power up again. Please let
me know what it is you are seeing. Thanks.

As for the events, they are very helpful but I don't see the source posted
for each event ID. The source of the event is as important as the event ID
number.
--

"luby@junkjunkie.com" wrote:

> Alright.  First off when the Windows stop screen shows up, after I
> double-click an email in outlook, the only thing that window says, is,
> 'Can't Open This Item' and that's it.  The box that opens is small and
> says MICROSOFT OUTLOOK on the header.  Shortly after that box opens, a
> balloon opens at the bottom right on my taskbar which says, 'MICROSOFT
> OUTLOOK FAILED' and that's all it says.  When I click on the balloon
> NOTHING happens.  So, looking back at my Event Viewer, only one of
> three things shows up repeatedly for when I've tried to open OUTLOOK.
> The info is as follows:

> SOURCE: Service Control Manager
> CATEGORY: None
> EVENT ID: 7000
> error:

> SOURCE: System Error
> CATEGORY: None
> EVENT ID: 1003
> 00000000, parameter3 8056afd7, parameter4 00000000.

> SOURCE: Service Control manager
> CATEGORY: None
> EVENT ID: 7023
> following error:
> The specified module could not be found.
>
> I did see that the disk reported some bad blocks a few times, but not
> only have I cleaned the heck out of the disk and defragged and all
> that, but the bad blocks happened in seperate instances from the
> outlook events.  Hope this helps - I sure need to get this fixed.

0
KOrland1 (1012)
4/13/2006 5:45:02 PM
I have not seen a STOP screen that you are describing.  The source is
identified in my last reply directly under each number.  They are
SERVICE CONTROL MANAGER, and SYSTEM MANAGER.  Is there something I'm
missing?  Sorry...

0
luby (5)
4/15/2006 10:31:58 PM
I'm still really desperate here.  Anyone got any ideas?

0
luby (5)

Dynamics 10 Upgrade fails "product 949 does not support upgrading
I have installed new instance of Dynamics 10 with latest service pack (new folder). I ran utilities and before I even get a chance to upgrade the data, I receive and errors "Product 949 does not support upgrading from version 9.0.268." We have version 9.0 running fine with Field Service in the set file so why won't it upgrade?? We only use a small part of field service (historical lookups in SOP) so I can't just drop it. Since it's a self-installed module by default, how can it not upgrade??? I believe you have to be at least on 9.0.281 version of GP. I am no...

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook blocking attachments
I am running Outlook 2000 and when I recieve an email with a .bat or .exe extension it blocks the attachment. How is that turned off so the attachments can be delivered? Thanks, Dan Dan wrote: > I am running Outlook 2000 and when I recieve an email with > a .bat or .exe extension it blocks the attachment. How is > that turned off so the attachments can be delivered? > > Thanks, > Dan try here: http://www.slovaktech.com/attachmentoptions.htm ...

MS Money 95 data files

Max number of Rules in Outlook
Hi everyone: Just a simple question that may be a common curiosity: does anyone know what is the max number of rules I can set up in Outlook? I have reached about 70 rules and the I get the message that there is no further space on the server. Maybe it is just a matter of room and the number it is not a limitation? Thanks for answering. Cheers That's it indeed; you can only store up to 32KB of e-mail rules. Disabled rules don't count but you're properly better of combining some rules or see if they are still needed. -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the mo...

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

upgrade from mac office to pc?

Runtime Error when closing OUTLOOK 2k

Standalone install of Office 98 Upgrade?

Addressing within Exchange 2003

Crash on 'Send"

Reminders in Outlook

Planned Open Market Days