outlook 2003 and Exchange 5.5 (client drops to offline)

I have a number of workstations that are using outlook 2003 without any
problem.  However I have one workstation that continues to drop to offline
mode and cannot send or recieve may.  I uncheck the offline mode and then it
goes in connected mode for about 10 minutes and then fails again.  It then
asks for username and password which it rejects, even using administrator.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this one?

Thanks
Scott

0
ssimmons1 (1)

Checked the physical connection already?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data
-Creating a Permanent New Mail Desktop Alert in Outlook 2003

-----
"Scott" <ssimmons@holdenandrew.com> wrote in message
>I have a number of workstations that are using outlook 2003 without any
>problem.  However I have one workstation that continues to drop to offline
>mode and cannot send or recieve may.  I uncheck the offline mode and then
>it goes in connected mode for about 10 minutes and then fails again.  It
>then asks for username and password which it rejects, even using
>administrator. Anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this one?
>

> Thanks
> Scott

0
Roady
3/2/2005 8:49:45 AM
I have a similar problem with a few of my Outlook 2003 clients connecting to
my Exchange 5.5 server.  Outlook will go "offline" for no apparent reason.
As soon "offline" is unchecked, the mailbox updates and the mail starts to
flow as expected.  I've seen this same problem posted many different times
and no one seems to have any clue.  I may have narrowed it down to a recent
security update/patch with XP/Office/Explorer/??  Any suggestions are
certainly appreciated.

Rich Semmel

"Scott" wrote:

> I have a number of workstations that are using outlook 2003 without any
> problem.  However I have one workstation that continues to drop to offline
> mode and cannot send or recieve may.  I uncheck the offline mode and then it
> goes in connected mode for about 10 minutes and then fails again.  It then
> asks for username and password which it rejects, even using administrator.
> Anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this one?
>

> Thanks
> Scott

0
Rich (271)
3/21/2005 4:49:08 PM
Rich <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have a similar problem with a few of my Outlook 2003 clients
> connecting to my Exchange 5.5 server.  Outlook will go "offline" for
> no apparent reason. As soon "offline" is unchecked, the mailbox
> updates and the mail starts to flow as expected.  I've seen this same
> problem posted many different times and no one seems to have any
> clue.  I may have narrowed it down to a recent security update/patch
> with XP/Office/Explorer/??  Any suggestions are certainly appreciated.

Have all Exchange 5.5 patches been installed?  I believe I read somewhere
that there are problems with Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2003 without the
proper Exchange patches.
--
Brian Tillman

0