Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Hi,
We are testing Outlook 2003 at our office now and there is
one very frustrating "feature" that is bugging all of us.
When we create a new e-mail message and type in the first
name of a person from the global address book and hit ctrl-
k to check the name...we get a response that Outlook
doesn't recognize the name and there are "no suggestions".
The only way Check Name will successfully resolve the name
is if we type it last name first (ie, Gates, Bill). This
was not the case in Office XP or Outlook 2000. You could
search by first name (or partial first name).

Is there an option that we are missing? This is very
frustrating because not everyone in the company knows
everyone's last name (1000s of users)...so searching by
first name is often the easiest.

Thanks!
-Scott Tingley
0
anonymous (74722)

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

LDAP and Check Names
We currently have Outlook 2003 connected to an Exchange 5.5 server (neither of these products can be upgraded), and our organisation has an LDAP server. I have added the LDAP server into Outlook, and if you go to the Address book and do a search, it returns all the values it is supposed to. However, you change the order of the address books so that the LDAP server is searched first, type a name (surname or forename) into the "To" box and click check names then the LDAP server is not searched. Instead the following error is generated: "The search request to the L...

Outlook 2003 Issue with Check Names
I have upgraded to Outlook 2003 from Outlook XP, no problems. I then was given a new laptop (Dell Precision M60) and then re-installed all of my stuff, including Outlook 2003. My problem is that I used to be able to do a Check Names with the name spelled..."Last, First" or "First Last" and it would search correctly through my Global Address Book (work) and my Personal Contacts. It worked great. Since the rebuild, I can ONLY search via "Last, First". The "First Last" search does not work. Any suggestions or known issues? I've Googled and se...

Lost ability to check names in Outlook 2002 when sending e-mail
After a few crashes, my Outlook 2002 (sp3) has lost the ability to automatically look up names from the address book when I type them in the "To:" bar. It gives me a dialog window saying it doesn't recognize "name" and offers me the option of creating a new address or "change to". If I click on Show More Names, it's blank, and "Show names from the:" is empty as well. Can someone help me fix this? Thanks! > After a few crashes, my Outlook 2002 (sp3) has lost the ability to > automatically look up names from the address book when ...

Check names with Address book
So I have enabled checking names with address books but still it won't do that (ie when I typed in someone's name, it won't provide a list of e-mails). I clicked on the Address Book icon on the menu bar, then Tools->Options. It is displaying the name of the address book under "When sending mail, check names using these address lists in the following order:" How do I setup this properly? The check names feature is populated dynamically as you enter email addresses. It does not use the Contacts folder or Address book for this. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook...

Alternate names / check names
2 people - one's name is Charles and the other's Robert. How can users find them by Chuck and Bob when addressing To: either using Check Names or Find in OWA? Thanks, Jason Jason, There are a couple of ways you can do this. If you want them to show up as Chuck or Bob then you can change the users display name in AD. If you don't want to change this then you could also modify their Alias (on the Exchange general tab). If you change the display name then this is how the user will be listed in the GAL. If this is not what you want then you should probably use the Ali...

Check names problem
We have: dc01, fp01 (both dc's with AD repl.) and mx01 in a single domain/forest. All are Win2k3 and mx01 is running Exch 2k3 enterprise. We have around 600 user accounts. When a user is deleted, the mailbox is disconnected. If we then try to reconnect this mb to another user and open the select object app. only about 40 user objects are shown, and we cannot find the others. Anyone have any ideas, please? -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message has been checked for all known viruses. The i...

Check Names
Using Outlook 2000 under Windows 2000 Server. When I type a partial name in the To: field on a new email, I get the red squiggly line indicating there are multiple names matching that pattern. When I hit Send, I get the Check Names window showing a list of matching names. However the only names that show up in the list are from the Global Address List, and none from my Contacts. Under Tools, Services, Addressing tab, I have two entries in the "When sending mail, check names using these address lists in the following order". First is the Global Address List, and second is Contacts,...

Outlook should check names from more than one Contacts folder
When clicking Check Names in Outlook (2007 maybe others?) you only get the names from the first Contact folder that has at least one match. if you have multiple people named Tom in multiple contact folders you will not see them all as possible targets for your email. Interestingly enough you will get matches from any Contact folder (based on selected search order in the Address book Options) but once a folder is found to have one match you will receive all of the matches from that folder but no others. Multiple contact folders are necessary as there is no other way to limit ...

Outlook 2003 Check Names, Any Character Defaulting to User
We have a peculiar problem. We are using Exchange 2003 SP2 with Outlook 2003 clients and whenever I place any character, e.g. *, %, ! or ?, it defaults to a specific user in the Address Book. There appears to be nothing special about this account, but it is rather annoying. Any suggestions as to why this would be happening? ...

OWA check names search limits
Does anyone know if the 100 search item limit can be increased for OWA check names. I know that you can customise standard searches up to 1000 items but the check names appears to be different. any ideas? ...

Check Names with Exchange 2003
I have Outlook 2000 clients installed on a network with Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003 servers. When Outlook is connected to an Exchange 5.5 mailbox (thus using Exchange DS) and the user enters a partial last name/first name combination separated by a comma (i.e. May, Hu when looking for Mayo, Hugh) the "Check Names" query is successful and all entries with those characters are retrieved. When Outlook is connected to an Exchange 2003 mailbox (thus using AD) and the same query is executed it fails. If a space is used instead of a comma the query is successful. Is there a way to...

Check names
I am trying to send multiple e-mails using bcc or cc and I can't because it checks names. I want to serve that feature off. How can I do that? I'll probably never find this page to get an answer, so would you send me an answer to my e-mail address at ennekingbj@fuse.net. Thank you. How are you adding the addresses? Most of the addresses should be in Contacts. It is not a good idea to post your address. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "Barb" <Barb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7A0BE34-674D-4DBA-A4DF-4E02DB4A744A@micr...

Check Names - Outlook 2000
When I enter an email address in the To: field for an employee of the company it will properly replace the email address with the contact name (e.g. stan@work.com -> Stan Sample (E-mail)). If I enter the name of someone in the personal contacts it will properly look it up (e.g. Pam -> Pam Personal (E-Mail)). This replace happens if I wait long enough or press the Check Names button. If however I type an email address of a person in the contacts, it never resolves to a particular contact (e.g. pam@home.com never becomes Pam Personal (E-Mail)). Is there a configuration problem with ...

Check names feature problems
Hi everyone, The problem here is with Outlook in Office XP SP2 running on a WinXP Pro machine. While typing an e-mail and hoping that the auto check names feature is going to work properly, it doesn't. Names get a red line under them and when I try to resolve, it shows a fax entry for the recipient as well as their e-mail entry. I want for this function to only go after the e-mail entry and not the fax. Can someone please tell me where to find this? I hope I provided enough information. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is really annoying. TIA, Nuke since fax is a...

Check Names = "Exchange Server computer is busy..."
Here's what I got: Active Directory on Server 2003 1 Domain Controller also running DNS and WINS No other DNS or WINS servers (I know, I know) Static IP Addresses...NO DHCP Exchange Server 2003 on a member server Client running W2K SP4 Outlook 2000 SP3 Exchange has 4 mailboxes set, but nobody is using it. I'm still testing things out. When I try to connect to Exchange via my Outlook 2000, I get the following message: "The function cannot be performed because the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is busy. Try again later" I've tried it from 3 different client comp...

Check Names with Personal Address Book
When I type a name from my Personal Address Book it auto completes the spelling but when I then Check Names or try to send, it doesn't find the name and brings up the Check Names box with no suggestions. If I click To, the Personal Address book shows up first and I can successfully choose the same person. If I use a name from my Global Address List, it works fine in all respects. I am running Outlook 2002 SP-2. Any theories? ...

LDAP and Check Names
Our current setup is Outlook 2003 connecting to an Exchange 5.5 server. For reasons I shan't go into, this configuration cannot be changed. I have added our organisations LDAP server into Outlook and if you open the adress book and search the LDAP directory it returns the expected results. However, if you set Outlook to search the LDAP directory first (via the Tools menu in the Address Book), type a name into the "To" box and then click Check Names, Outlook fails to return any matches, but does give the following error: "The search request to the LDAP Direc...

Distribution Group and Check Names
Hello, Hoping someone can help me with this. Some time ago I created a query-based distribution group called 'All Staff' which basically included every mail enabled account. This works fine and from Outlook when opening the Address Book, this group is presented near the top with all the other email accounts with the right drop-down simply set to show 'Global Address List'. Also, and most importantly, when creating a new message and simply entering the word 'all' in the To: input box and clicking 'Check Names' it immediately finds the DG. Now the problem. I...

Outlook check names (addressbook)
Hi all, I have a client who runs outlook 2000, when she want to send a mail to a colleague it doesn't preform a name check? This worked before but now it doesn't anymore. I have checked if the check name box was active, and what addressbook to search but both were good. Anyone has a sollution for this problem? On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:28:14 +0200, "RedCell" <redcellnl@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >I have a client who runs outlook 2000, when she want to send a mail to a >colleague it doesn't preform a name check? This worked before but now it &g...

check names from contact list
When I want to send emails to a recipient is not in my contacts list, check names comes up. I cant find where to undo this request. ...

Check Names box is difficult to read
In Outlook 2002 (XP), when I have entered a name that may occur multiple times in my Address Book, I can click on the Check Names icon and it will display all similar names. Unfortunately, the other information, such as email address, is stuck out in right field somewhere and I have to shorten some columns and widen others to see it, plus scroll horizontally across the box. In Outlook 2000 I could see everything at the same time in the Check Names box. Is there anyway to resize this box so I can see what I need to see? Thanks. Unfortunately, no. If you are able to upgrade to Out...

Check names showed green dotted underline
Hi, we have a user that uses Outlook2000 and it seems like each time she tried to send e-mail to a certain user, the automatic check names will displayed the name with a green dotted underline. I did a research and found out it means there is somene else with that name. However, checking all the addr books, there is none. The stange thing is, once she continues to click send, the e-mail will go to someone else with a totally different name. Can someone point me to the right direction to start troubleshooting? TIA. Try clearing the AutoNameCompletion Cache. The KB has instructions. ...

Outlook 2007 Check Names option
Hi, When using the Check Names button in Outlook 2007, it checks only the Global Address List. Can this be changed for all address books? If not, can it be changed to the Contacts address book by default? If so, where do I go to make this change? Thank you! Donna Right click on your Contacts folder, select Properties, then Outlook Address book, and tick the box. Donna wrote: > Hi, > > When using the Check Names button in Outlook 2007, it checks only the Global > Address List. Can this be changed for all address books? If not, can it be > chan...