Outlook 2003 Adding several Emails to Block Sender list at One Tim #2

I just upgraded to Windows 2003 SP 2.  In the older version of Outlook, I
could highlight several emails and add them to the junk senders list by
selecting: Action/Junk Email/Ad to junk senders list

With 2003, the option to “Add Sender to blocked senders list” is grayed out
and I am not able to select it.  What can I do to be able to use this?  It is
available when I select an individual email.

0
Richard853 (481)

you can only add one at a time. BTW - blocking senders is a poor way to
manage spam, especially since there is a limit of about 2000 addresses on
the blocked and safe lists combined.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just upgraded to Windows 2003 SP 2.  In the older version of Outlook, I
> could highlight several emails and add them to the junk senders list by
> selecting: Action/Junk Email/Ad to junk senders list
>
> With 2003, the option to "Add Sender to blocked senders list" is grayed
> out
> and I am not able to select it.  What can I do to be able to use this?  It
> is
> available when I select an individual email.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/15/2005 4:19:32 PM
Dear Diane:

Thank you for the informaiont.  If blocking senders is not a good solution,
what solution do you recommend?

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> you can only add one at a time. BTW - blocking senders is a poor way to
> manage spam, especially since there is a limit of about 2000 addresses on
> the blocked and safe lists combined.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just upgraded to Windows 2003 SP 2.  In the older version of Outlook, I
> > could highlight several emails and add them to the junk senders list by
> > selecting: Action/Junk Email/Ad to junk senders list
> >
> > With 2003, the option to "Add Sender to blocked senders list" is grayed
> > out
> > and I am not able to select it.  What can I do to be able to use this?  It
> > is
> > available when I select an individual email.

0
Richard853 (481)
11/15/2005 4:38:06 PM
If Outlook's filter set on high is not good enough, get a 3rd party antispam
addin. SpamBayes is one of several free ones that works well once trained or
go with a paid utility. http://www.slipstick.com/rules/junkmail.htm#tools

--

> Dear Diane:
>
> Thank you for the informaiont.  If blocking senders is not a good
> solution,
> what solution do you recommend?
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> you can only add one at a time. BTW - blocking senders is a poor way to
>> manage spam, especially since there is a limit of about 2000 addresses on
>> the blocked and safe lists combined.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)

>> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just upgraded to Windows 2003 SP 2.  In the older version of Outlook,
>> > could highlight several emails and add them to the junk senders list by
>> > selecting: Action/Junk Email/Ad to junk senders list
>> >
>> > With 2003, the option to "Add Sender to blocked senders list" is grayed
>> > out
>> > and I am not able to select it.  What can I do to be able to use this?
>> > It
>> > is
>> > available when I select an individual email.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/15/2005 5:06:18 PM
Diane:

Thank you again.  Is Norton Anti Spam compatible with Windows 2003 and would
your recomend this?

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> If Outlook's filter set on high is not good enough, get a 3rd party antispam
> addin. SpamBayes is one of several free ones that works well once trained or
> go with a paid utility. http://www.slipstick.com/rules/junkmail.htm#tools
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Diane:
> >
> > Thank you for the informaiont.  If blocking senders is not a good
> > solution,
> > what solution do you recommend?
> >
> > "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> you can only add one at a time. BTW - blocking senders is a poor way to
> >> manage spam, especially since there is a limit of about 2000 addresses on
> >> the blocked and safe lists combined.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> >> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
> >> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
> >> Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> >>
> >> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> >> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
> >> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
> >>

> >> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Richard853 (481)
11/15/2005 5:30:21 PM
it is AFAIK and it's as good as any others.

--

> Diane:
>
> Thank you again.  Is Norton Anti Spam compatible with Windows 2003 and
> would
> your recomend this?
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If Outlook's filter set on high is not good enough, get a 3rd party
>> antispam
>> addin. SpamBayes is one of several free ones that works well once trained
>> or
>> go with a paid utility. http://www.slipstick.com/rules/junkmail.htm#tools
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)

>> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Dear Diane:
>> >
>> > Thank you for the informaiont.  If blocking senders is not a good
>> > solution,
>> > what solution do you recommend?

0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/15/2005 6:02:56 PM
Sorry, what is AFAIK?

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> it is AFAIK and it's as good as any others.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Diane:
> >
> > Thank you again.  Is Norton Anti Spam compatible with Windows 2003 and
> > would
> > your recomend this?
> >
> > "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> If Outlook's filter set on high is not good enough, get a 3rd party
> >> antispam
> >> addin. SpamBayes is one of several free ones that works well once trained
> >> or
> >> go with a paid utility. http://www.slipstick.com/rules/junkmail.htm#tools
> >>
> >> --
> >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> >> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
> >> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
> >> Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> >>
> >> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> >> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
> >> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
> >>

> >> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Richard853 (481)
11/15/2005 6:25:04 PM
as far as I know.

for more acronyms, see http://www.netlingo.com/

--

> Sorry, what is AFAIK?
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> it is AFAIK and it's as good as any others.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)

>> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Diane:
>> >
>> > Thank you again.  Is Norton Anti Spam compatible with Windows 2003 and
>> > would
>> > your recomend this?

0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/15/2005 6:58:51 PM
Hi Richard,

I would recommend you Feox (http://www.feox.com) .. it is quite simple
and effective.

Diana

Dear Diane:

I have one follow up question for you:

I have Outlook 2003 SP2 and have a problem with rules: I am only able to put
check marks by 3 rules I have created which have a total of 48 individual
email addresses associated with them.  When I put a check mark next to an
additional rule (even if it has only 1 email, associated with it) I receive
the error message:

“Microsoft Office Outlook (Popup box label
One or more rules could not be uploaded to exchange server and have been
deactivated.  This could be because some of the parameters are not supported
or there is insufficient spacer to store all the rules.”

When I select “Run Rules Now” and put check marks in all the rules (I have
9) and click “Run Now” the rules seem to perform as they are supposed to.

The rules move the email from the inbox to a separate folder.  No special
sounds or alerts are used because of the potential for problems. I have
reviewed each rule (since there are only 9 in total it did not take long) to
verify that all the folders exist.  Also, since mixing the server and local
drive is not always a good think for Outlook, I do everything on the hard
drive (all emails are automatically downloaded from the server to the hard
drive inbox and all rules move emails from specific senders from the inbox to
a folder in the PST file on the drive.

What can I do to fix this limitation?  My understanding is that Outlook
rules can support hundreds of individual email addresses.  I have deleted and
re-created the rules and that has not fixed the problem.

The PST file is not large, and I have plenty of RAM available (over 400 MB).

Thank you fo ryour assitance

Richard

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> as far as I know.
>
> for more acronyms, see http://www.netlingo.com/
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry, what is AFAIK?
> >
> > "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> it is AFAIK and it's as good as any others.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> >> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
> >> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
> >> Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> >>
> >> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> >> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
> >> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
> >>

> >> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Richard853 (481)
12/27/2005 11:29:02 PM
Exchange server accounts store rules in the mailbox, on the server. There is
a size limit of 32KB and it looks like the addresses are hitting the limit
so they aren't uploaded to the server. Plus, Ol2003 uses Unicode to store
rules and that uses more space per rule, so you'll have fewer in 2003 than
in 2002. Older versions of outlook (2000 and older) only stored server rules
on the server and you could get past the limitation by creating client
rules. That trick no longer works. :(

Rather than use one rule with dozens of addresses, try leaving the messages
in the inbox and use search folders (or views) to view the messages in
virtual folders.

Rules for POP3 account can support unlimited sizes because they are stored
locally - if there is a limit, no one has reported hitting it yet.

--

> Dear Diane:
>
> I have one follow up question for you:
>
> I have Outlook 2003 SP2 and have a problem with rules: I am only able to
> put
> check marks by 3 rules I have created which have a total of 48 individual
> email addresses associated with them.  When I put a check mark next to an
> additional rule (even if it has only 1 email, associated with it) I
> receive
> the error message:
>
> "Microsoft Office Outlook (Popup box label
> One or more rules could not be uploaded to exchange server and have been
> deactivated.  This could be because some of the parameters are not
> supported
> or there is insufficient spacer to store all the rules."
>
> When I select "Run Rules Now" and put check marks in all the rules (I have
> 9) and click "Run Now" the rules seem to perform as they are supposed to.
>
> The rules move the email from the inbox to a separate folder.  No special
> sounds or alerts are used because of the potential for problems. I have
> reviewed each rule (since there are only 9 in total it did not take long)
> verify that all the folders exist.  Also, since mixing the server and
> local
> drive is not always a good think for Outlook, I do everything on the hard
> drive (all emails are automatically downloaded from the server to the hard
> drive inbox and all rules move emails from specific senders from the inbox
> a folder in the PST file on the drive.
>
> What can I do to fix this limitation?  My understanding is that Outlook
> rules can support hundreds of individual email addresses.  I have deleted
> and
> re-created the rules and that has not fixed the problem.
>
> The PST file is not large, and I have plenty of RAM available (over 400
> MB).
>

> Thank you fo ryour assitance
>
> Richard
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> as far as I know.
>>
>> for more acronyms, see http://www.netlingo.com/
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)

>> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Sorry, what is AFAIK?

0
outlookmvp (5838)
12/28/2005 5:58:16 PM
Dear Diana:

Thank you.  Can you clarify some points:
1)	Server: What is the name of the file that has the rules (the file I
measured was “Mailbox.Pst” file.  Based on your email, it seems that rules
are stored on the server.
chosen to have emails delivered to a PST file on my hard drive.  The rules I
have created have “Client Only” after them.

I would be great if you could clarify these points

Richard

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > rules can support hundreds of individual email addresses.  I have deleted
> > and
> > re-created the rules and that has not fixed the problem.
> >
> > The PST file is not large, and I have plenty of RAM available (over 400
> > MB).
> >

> > Thank you fo ryour assitance
> >
> > Richard
> >

> > "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> as far as I know.
> >>
> >> for more acronyms, see http://www.netlingo.com/
> >>
> >> --
> >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> >> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
> >> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
> >> Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> >>
> >> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> >> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

12/28/2005 6:21:04 PM
Dear Diana:

I need you to clarify two points:

1) List Feature: How can I change the display in Outlook 2003 so when I
click “New” (compose new email) and then click the “To” button and the
“Select Names” list appears the column is based on the LAST name and not the
first name.  This will enable me to search by typing the person’s last name.
I have set the Outlook 2003 default “File as” order to “Last, First” and
default “FullName” order as “Last First” by doing the following:
Tools/Options/Preferences/Under “Contacts” section/Click “Contacts
Options”/Change “Default file name order” to “Last First”

2) AutoComplete: When I imported my personal address book (PAB) into
Contacts in 2003, it placed BOTH the last and first names into a single
field, the First Name field.  As a result, when I try and use the Auto
complete feature by typing in the person’s last name in the “to” line, not
does not work.  It does work if I add a new contact by dropping & dragging an
email into the Contacts folder (it automatically separates first and last
name and places them into separate fields).
How can I get the auto complete feature to work again?  How can I separate
the fields without having to re-enter over 5,689 individual records?  Is
there a macro I can run on an excel spreadsheet?

Richard

"dutza.gugutza@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I would recommend you Feox (http://www.feox.com) .. it is quite simple
> and effective.
>
> Diana

0
Richard853 (481)
12/28/2005 11:36:02 PM
Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> 1) Server: What is the name of the file that has the rules (the file I
> measured was “Mailbox.Pst” file.  Based on your email, it seems that
> rules are stored on the server.

Since you are using an Exchange server, based on the message you included in
your earlier post, the rules aren't stored locally on your PC, but in your
mailbox on the Exchange server.

> have chosen to have emails delivered to a PST file on my hard drive.
> The rules I have created have “Client Only” after them.

I don't think your messages being delivered to a PST matters for rule
storage when your account in an Exchange account, whether or not they
include "Client Only".  I believe they're still stored on the server.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/3/2006 3:03:33 PM
Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> 1) List Feature: How can I change the display in Outlook 2003 so when
> I click “New” (compose new email) and then click the “To” button and
> the “Select Names” list appears the column is based on the LAST name
> and not the first name.

Click Tools>E-mail Accounts>View or change existing directories or address
books>Next.  Select "Outlook Address Book" and click Change.  Set the sort
order there.

> 2) AutoComplete: When I imported my personal address book (PAB) into
> Contacts in 2003, it placed BOTH the last and first names into a
> single field, the First Name field.  As a result, when I try and use
> the Auto complete feature by typing in the person’s last name in the
> “to” line, not does not work.  It does work if I add a new contact by
> dropping & dragging an email into the Contacts folder (it
> automatically separates first and last name and places them into
> separate fields).

Importing into Outlook from any source can be problematic.  I don't know how
to fix the issue you describe except manually.
--
Brian Tillman
> How can I get the auto complete feature to work again?  How can I
> separate the fields without having to re-enter over 5,689 individual
> records?  Is there a macro I can run on an excel spreadsheet?
>
> Richard
>
> "dutza.gugutza@gmail.com" wrote:
>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> I would recommend you Feox (http://www.feox.com) .. it is quite
>> simple and effective.
>>
>> Diana

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/3/2006 3:06:33 PM
Brian:

I don't understand your answer.  I have done a manual fix: I seperated the
"Last Name" and "First Name" fields for al of my contacts.  However, the
problem still persists:

A) Settings: Last Name Basis: “Default Full name order” = Last, First,
“Default File As Order” =  Last, First
Issue: When I add the Sender to Contact list  (“Add to Outlook Contacts”),
the Last name is stored in First name column and First Names is stored in
Last Name column.  Consequently, when I click “New” and “To” and enter the
last name, the program does not find that person because the last name has
been entered into the first name field.
Detailed Description:
a) Set the settings (Last, First, and Last First).  In additon, I have set
Outlook “File As Filed” to Last Name, First Name via this process:
Tools/Options/Mail Set up tab/E-mail accounts/View or change Existing
Directories Or Address Books/Next/Outlook Address Book/Change button/Select
“File As (Smith, John)”/Close/Finish/Ok
b) Add a person: Open an email and highlight the sender and right click and
chose “Add to Outlook Contacts”, the  screen displays: “Full Name” = Last,
First, “File As” = Last, First, and “Display as” Last, First. (I click save
and close)
c) Compose new Mail: New/Click “To” and list comes up with the Last names as
the first column.  Therefore, person is listed and can be search only by last
name THIS IS WHAT I WANT
d) Export the Contact folder as an Excel file: The First name is incorrectly
placed in the Last name field, and Last Name is in Last Name field (Dennis)

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > 1) List Feature: How can I change the display in Outlook 2003 so when
> > I click “New” (compose new email) and then click the “To” button and
> > the “Select Names” list appears the column is based on the LAST name
> > and not the first name.
>
> Click Tools>E-mail Accounts>View or change existing directories or address
> books>Next.  Select "Outlook Address Book" and click Change.  Set the sort
> order there.
>
> > 2) AutoComplete: When I imported my personal address book (PAB) into
> > Contacts in 2003, it placed BOTH the last and first names into a
> > single field, the First Name field.  As a result, when I try and use
> > the Auto complete feature by typing in the person’s last name in the
> > “to” line, not does not work.  It does work if I add a new contact by
> > dropping & dragging an email into the Contacts folder (it
> > automatically separates first and last name and places them into
> > separate fields).
>
> Importing into Outlook from any source can be problematic.  I don't know how
> to fix the issue you describe except manually.
> --
> Brian Tillman
> > How can I get the auto complete feature to work again?  How can I
> > separate the fields without having to re-enter over 5,689 individual
> > records?  Is there a macro I can run on an excel spreadsheet?
> >
> > Richard
> >
> > "dutza.gugutza@gmail.com" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Richard,
> >>
> >> I would recommend you Feox (http://www.feox.com) .. it is quite
> >> simple and effective.
> >>
> >> Diana

0
Richard853 (481)
1/3/2006 5:35:02 PM
Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I don't understand your answer.  I have done a manual fix: I
> seperated the "Last Name" and "First Name" fields for al of my
> contacts.  However, the problem still persists:

Open a contact item, select the "All Fields" tab, choose "Name Fields" in
the "Select from" drop-down and examine the "File As" field.  Is it
displayed as you want it?
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/3/2006 6:37:58 PM
Yes, it is displayed as I want.

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't understand your answer.  I have done a manual fix: I
> > seperated the "Last Name" and "First Name" fields for al of my
> > contacts.  However, the problem still persists:
>
> Open a contact item, select the "All Fields" tab, choose "Name Fields" in
> the "Select from" drop-down and examine the "File As" field.  Is it
> displayed as you want it?
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
Richard853 (481)
1/3/2006 6:50:03 PM
I ws WONRG, when I add a new person and do the process you detail below, the
name is NOT displayed correctly.  It is displayed as first name then last name

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't understand your answer.  I have done a manual fix: I
> > seperated the "Last Name" and "First Name" fields for al of my
> > contacts.  However, the problem still persists:
>
> Open a contact item, select the "All Fields" tab, choose "Name Fields" in
> the "Select from" drop-down and examine the "File As" field.  Is it
> displayed as you want it?
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
Richard853 (481)
1/3/2006 6:57:02 PM
Brian:

Sorry, I was WONRG,   When I just added a new perons, and looked at your
suggstoinm below< his name was NOT dispalyed the way I wanted.  INstead, it
was displayed as first name then last name

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't understand your answer.  I have done a manual fix: I
> > seperated the "Last Name" and "First Name" fields for al of my
> > contacts.  However, the problem still persists:
>
> Open a contact item, select the "All Fields" tab, choose "Name Fields" in
> the "Select from" drop-down and examine the "File As" field.  Is it
> displayed as you want it?
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
Richard853 (481)
1/3/2006 6:57:03 PM
Dear Brian:

What is the name of the file and extension where Microsoft Outlook 2003
rules are stored?
I have set my computer so emails are downloaded to the local drive (instead
of the server) and all of my rules are “Client-Only”

Richard

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > 1) List Feature: How can I change the display in Outlook 2003 so when
> > I click “New” (compose new email) and then click the “To” button and
> > the “Select Names” list appears the column is based on the LAST name
> > and not the first name.
>
> Click Tools>E-mail Accounts>View or change existing directories or address
> books>Next.  Select "Outlook Address Book" and click Change.  Set the sort
> order there.
>
> > 2) AutoComplete: When I imported my personal address book (PAB) into
> > Contacts in 2003, it placed BOTH the last and first names into a
> > single field, the First Name field.  As a result, when I try and use
> > the Auto complete feature by typing in the person’s last name in the
> > “to” line, not does not work.  It does work if I add a new contact by
> > dropping & dragging an email into the Contacts folder (it
> > automatically separates first and last name and places them into
> > separate fields).
>
> Importing into Outlook from any source can be problematic.  I don't know how
> to fix the issue you describe except manually.
> --
> Brian Tillman
> > How can I get the auto complete feature to work again?  How can I
> > separate the fields without having to re-enter over 5,689 individual
> > records?  Is there a macro I can run on an excel spreadsheet?
> >
> > Richard
> >
> > "dutza.gugutza@gmail.com" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Richard,
> >>
> >> I would recommend you Feox (http://www.feox.com) .. it is quite
> >> simple and effective.
> >>
> >> Diana

0
Richard853 (481)
1/3/2006 11:06:03 PM
Dear Diana:

Happy New Year.  What is the name of the file and extension where Microsoft

"Richard" wrote:

> [...]
> > > sounds or alerts are used because of the potential for problems. I have
> > > reviewed each rule (since there are only 9 in total it did not take long)
> > > verify that all the folders exist.  Also, since mixing the server and
> > > local
> > > drive is not always a good think for Outlook, I do everything on the hard
> > > drive (all emails are automatically downloaded from the server to the hard
> > > drive inbox and all rules move emails from specific senders from the inbox
> > > a folder in the PST file on the drive.
> > >
> > > What can I do to fix this limitation?  My understanding is that Outlook
> > > rules can support hundreds of individual email addresses.  I have deleted
> > > and
> > > re-created the rules and that has not fixed the problem.
> > >
> > > The PST file is not large, and I have plenty of RAM available (over 400

1/3/2006 11:07:31 PM
Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Happy New Year.  What is the name of the file and extension where
> Microsoft Outlook 2003 rules are stored?

If the account is an Exchange account, they're stored in the mailbox on the
Exchange server.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/4/2006 2:11:24 PM
Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> What is the name of the file and extension where Microsoft Outlook
> 2003 rules are stored?

Answered in your other thread.
--
Brian Tillman
0
Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I ws WONRG, when I add a new person and do the process you detail
> below, the name is NOT displayed correctly.  It is displayed as first
> name then last name

And in Tools>Options>Contact Options, you said you had "Last, First"
selected in the "Default 'File As' order" drop-down, correct?  Also, you
said you clicked Tools>E-mail Accounts>View or change existing directories
or address books>Next, selected Outlook Address Book, clicked Change, and
selected the "File As (Smith, John)" radio button, correct?  And that you
restarted Outlook after selecting these, correct?
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/4/2006 2:16:26 PM
Yes, this is corect.  How do I fix the problem?

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I ws WONRG, when I add a new person and do the process you detail
> > below, the name is NOT displayed correctly.  It is displayed as first
> > name then last name
>
> And in Tools>Options>Contact Options, you said you had "Last, First"
> selected in the "Default 'File As' order" drop-down, correct?  Also, you
> said you clicked Tools>E-mail Accounts>View or change existing directories
> or address books>Next, selected Outlook Address Book, clicked Change, and
> selected the "File As (Smith, John)" radio button, correct?  And that you
> restarted Outlook after selecting these, correct?
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
Richard853 (481)
1/4/2006 8:55:02 PM
Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Yes, this is corect.  How do I fix the problem?

I'm at a loss.  Everything you describe seems correct to me.  Sorry I can't
help.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/5/2006 1:44:09 PM
-	“Microsoft Newsgroup: http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/?pr=914.  On
left screen chose Outlook and then Outlook and then General Questions
(12/27/05): click “New” drop down button and select question
see@mitsuivp.com, IustiM2
Be sure to put “X” mark in (Notify me of replies”

Outlook 2003 Rules File Name and Location

Dear Brian:

1. File Name and Path: I have reviewed the other threads and did not find
the information.  Please provide the full name of the file and extension for
where Microsoft Outlook Rules are stored.  I have set my computer so emails
are downloaded to the local drive (instead of the server) and all of my rules
are “Client-Only”.

The path and file name of the file to which emails are set to download is as
follows:
File Name: “1AImportant.pst”
This was set through the following procedure:
Tools/Options/Mail set up tab/E-Mail accounts/next/View or change existing
accounts/under deliver new email to the following location specify the file

2) Size Limitation: Please confirm that Outlook 2003 has a limit of 32k for
the amount of space rules can occupy.

3) Size Verification: If this limitation is correct, how can I determine how
much space m rules currently occupy>  I exported them and look in Microsoft
Explorer.  However, often explorer does not return accurate file size
information when being used for determining operating system limitation.

4) Size Solution: Currently I have 90 rules created that have 27 individual
associated with them.  They are simple rules that only move an email from a
sender to a specific file.  There are not advanced alerts or graphics.  The
system tells me there is a space problem and that it will only accept 3 rules
with a total of 40 individual senders involved.  I cannot believe that 2003
Rules will only support 3 rules with 60 senders.  Please suggest what I can
do to increase this number.

Richard

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > What is the name of the file and extension where Microsoft Outlook
> > 2003 rules are stored?
>
> Answered in your other thread.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
Richard853 (481)
1/5/2006 5:54:07 PM
Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> 1. File Name and Path: I have reviewed the other threads and did not
> find the information.

It was there, however.  I saw it.

> Please provide the full name of the file and
> extension for where Microsoft Outlook Rules are stored.  I have set
> my computer so emails are downloaded to the local drive (instead of
> the server) and all of my rules are “Client-Only”.

When you're using a non-Exchange account, rules are kept in a hidden
location in your PST.  When your are using an Exchange account, rules are
kept in the Exchange mailbox on the Exchange server.  I believe this to be
true whether or not your delivery location is the Exchange mailbox or a PST
(and that belief is supported by the fact that you're being told by Exchange
that you've run out of space), but if I'm in error, then the rules are as
above: in the PST.  The path to that PST is wherever you created it.

> 2) Size Limitation: Please confirm that Outlook 2003 has a limit of
> 32k for the amount of space rules can occupy.

When your account is an Exchange account, this is true.  When the rules are
in the PST, I don't believe there is a specific rules size limit.

> 3) Size Verification: If this limitation is correct, how can I
> determine how much space m rules currently occupy>  I exported them
> and look in Microsoft Explorer.  However, often explorer does not
> return accurate file size information when being used for determining
> operating system limitation.

It's conceivable OutlookSpy (http://www.dimastr.com/outspy/) can tell you
that.  Absent OutlookSpy, I don't know how to determine that.

> 4) Size Solution: Currently I have 90 rules created that have 27
> individual associated with them.  They are simple rules that only
> move an email from a sender to a specific file.  There are not
> advanced alerts or graphics.  The system tells me there is a space
> problem and that it will only accept 3 rules with a total of 40
> individual senders involved.  I cannot believe that 2003 Rules will
> only support 3 rules with 60 senders.  Please suggest what I can do
> to increase this number.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to change the rules storage
size.  Suggestions for addressing the issue can be found at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886616/en-us
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/6/2006 2:26:02 PM
I figured out that the Tools, Options, Preferences, Contact Options dialog
box contains the correct option to make the appropriate selection. However,
on this system, the field that allows you to change the Default "Full Name"
order: is greyed out and so doesn't allow us to choose the proper one. I'm
looking into the problem with our tech support.

Thanks for your response.

Training Goddess

"Richard" wrote:

> I just upgraded to Windows 2003 SP 2.  In the older version of Outlook, I
> could highlight several emails and add them to the junk senders list by
> selecting: Action/Junk Email/Ad to junk senders list
>
> With 2003, the option to “Add Sender to blocked senders list” is grayed out
> and I am not able to select it.  What can I do to be able to use this?  It is
> available when I select an individual email.

Comparing two lists
I have the following data NAME CODE and I have another list NAME work I'm trying to compare the two and give the results of CODE based o name here is an example ---------- WORK -------- James Home Jame Work Bob Outside ----- ASSIGNMENT --------- James D Bob C ------ So I want to have a forumla that looks for one of the lines comparis i to a list and if it is true it will result in the cell next to it. i've tried this which doesn't seem to work =IF(WORK!A1=(OR(ASSIGNMENT!A:A),ASSIGNMENT!B1,"Cannot find") SO IF the cell in WORK has any of the NAMES in assignment th...

Payroll Accrual #2
Hello all, Just wondering if anyone else out there has an issue with payroll accrual. Can't seem to find a tool in GP that handles it so what we did was develop our own however when we have a partial week for the end of the month as in 60% for instance then we get over 3 decimals and because there is more debits then credits it does not match for a total which we directly put into GP batch then won't post. There must be some fancy accounting tricks to make the credits and debits balance. I am not an accounting guru and our guru is gone for the rest of the month plus. TIA ...

550 [PERMFAIL] destination not valid within DNS #2
I am getting this message from only one sent e-mail address. I know it is good, because it is in reply to the person's original e-mail and I can send from Yahoo. Any ideas? John <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am getting this message from only one sent e-mail > address. I know it is good, because it is in reply to the > person's original e-mail and I can send from Yahoo. Any > ideas? That's not an Outlook problem but a complaint from the receiving mail server that the domain of the address you specified can't be found in the DNS of ...

Problem with Outlook 2002...
I have been using Outlook 2002 as part of Office XP for some time now. Suddenly, I start getting the following error: Task 'pop.mail.yahoo.ca - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' I am using Yahoo as a POP3 and SMTP gateway. Please note that this configuration has been working for almost a year and a half! I can ping Yahoo's servers no problem. I did some Googli...

Transfer Outlook e-mail structure To Another Computer
I am currently using Outlook Express and I would like to transfer all of my e-mail folders, etc from Outlook Express to another computer Using Outlook. The Outlook Express is on a computer that is using XP Pro sp3 OS and I would like to transfer it to another computer using Win 7 Pro OS but using Office 2003 and Outlook that comes with it. Can someone tell me which filenames (full pathname) to copy so I can configure the new computer so the Outlook will have all of the information I have now (including all folders, like send folders, directory address, etc). Thank You, Ga...

Outlook 2002 " Relaying denied. Proper authentication required."
Ok I have just recently switched aver to a new domain for a web site. I went through the configuration stuff in outlook under the accounts and it connects to all the servers and sends the test message just fine. If i try to send anything to anybody but me it says undeliverable. This includes emails on the same domain. I get the following message: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: [classified] Sent: 7/14/2004 11:44 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: '[email name @ aol]' on 7/14/2004 11:44 PM ...

Excel worksheet moved all data from multipl cells into one
I recently saved a list from another software program into excel. The original format was csv or txt, i can remember. when i resaved the worksheet i saved it into excel format and no formatting changed. when i reopened the file all the data that was in my rows which has 12 columns of data in individual cells all are now packed into the first colum. i don't know what happened and how to seperate the data into individual cells again. Step 1 is make a backup copy of your file so you don't lose data while figuring out the best way to do this. You may be able to use (on the...

Please help with returned emails from new domain
My home email is through Road Runner. I use Outlook 2003, with RR's mail servers. My work email is my own domain, registered with Network Solutions, hosted by GoDaddy. I've been with Godaddy about two weeks. Ever since then, I cannot send an email from Outlook/RR to my work domain. It immediately comes back as undeliverable. If needed, I will find the error messages. The interesting thing is that if I set up Outlook Express on my RR account, the emails to my work domain go through just fine. Does this particular issue ring a bell to anyone? What is it about Outlook that would ...

Move DC from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008
We currently have a small domain with a Win 2003 (NOT SBS) Server acting as Domain Controller. It handles DHCP, DNS and AD Services. We are about to install a Windows 2008 server into the domain and wish to migrate all the services to the new machine. Is there a step by step guide on how to do this anywhere? I have looked on Google and cannot find a simple step by step guide for the process. TIA -- ats@work The cracks between the paving stones Look like rivers of flowing veins. Strange people who know me Peeping from behind every window pane The Who - The Real Me Hello...

Blocks a second cell to have a value if the first has one already
In a range of cells (a row), I need a data validation that block a second cell to be filled with a value. How to do that? Sample: A B C D 1 X If Cell C1 has value X, another cell cannot have a velue, unless value in C1 is deleted. Bart Excel 2003 AA, Presumably, your X is a variable -- the first cell can have any value, and a second cell should be blocked. Data - Validation - Custom: =COUNTIF($A$1:$D$1,"*")<2 -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com Note: Top-posting has been the norm here. Some folks prefer bottom-posting. But if you bottom-post to a ...

Outlook send/receive
Cannot send/receive, create new message, reply or forward messages in Outlook 2007. Cannot access email set-up under Tools/Option/Email options. I have done a repair of Office 2007 but it did not help. "Vision2k" <Vision2k@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0DB6012-32A4-4312-83EB-E0B9CCEF0BBC@microsoft.com... > Cannot send/receive, create new message, reply or forward messages in > Outlook > 2007. Cannot access email set-up under Tools/Option/Email options. > > I have done a repair of Office 2007 but it did not help. This disc...

Symantec DLL and Outlook
After installing the new Symantec Anti-Virus Client 9.0 and rebooting, I now get the following meesage when first trying on open an email: The add-in "D:\Program Files\Symantec\vpmsece.dll" could not be installed or loaded. This problem may be resolved by using Detect and Repair on the Help Menu. Unable to load "D:\Program Files\Symantec\vpmsece.dll". You may be out of memory, out of system resources or missing a .dll file. I have ran the repair with not luck. I have plenty of resources. Any idea why this is happening and how I can correct it? You need to renam...

getting data from table using 2 values
from a standard spreadsheet, using a function(?) how can I return a value from a table using values for the headers and columns. For example, the table has ages across the top and events done the side. Simply I need to "lookup" both ages and events to return a value from the cross section of these values. Any assistance welcome!! Many thanks If the range is A1:G100, for example, and age is in H1 and event in H2: =INDEX(A1:G100,MATCH(H2,A1:A100,0),MATCH(H1,A1:G1,0)) HTH Bob Umlas Excel MVP "MS_user" <MSuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60189...

Access 2003: Loop Through Records
Hello, I need some assistance with the following code. Private Sub GradeAttempting() If Nz(Forms.Members.Ready, True) = True And Nz(Forms.Members.Active, True) = True Then With Forms.Members.GradeAttempting .SetFocus .ListIndex = .ListIndex + 1 End With End If End Sub This updates a combobox, "GradeAttempting" on a main form, "Members". This works but only for the Member page that I have the form open to. To update the rest of the records I have to manually navigate through all members pages and run the code for each page. ...

Outlook 2003 and PDA hold getting messages
I am running XP Pro, Outlook 2003 with latest SP's and have a ongoing problem I can not solve. My Dell Axim is connected, and Active Sync is set to stay up to date automatically, this part works. Outlook is set to access my POP account every 3 minutes. I am a SOHO so I need my mail. Well Outlook will not go get the message every 3 min UNLESS I remove the Dell from its docking station. It will check messages if I F9 outlook, or manually click the send/receive radio button.. I have tried different times and nothing seems to work.. Is there some setting somewhere I am missing? TIA ...

Outlook Set Regarding Feature
When using Outlook to email contacts, we would like to record that communication against each account or Contact in CRM. We use the Track in CRM button and then select the 'Set Regarding' feature, however this 'Set Regarding' feature only allows us to assoicate the email to a single account or contact. Is it possible to select multiple accounts or contacts, or does this kind of email need to be generated via CRM and not Outlook. Many thanks Steve Hi, You can set regarding to multiple entities in CRM 4. Regards, Donna "Steve Le Monnier" wrote: > When...

0x80004005 #2
When Outlook sends and receives I get the following error message code - 0x80004005. I have read that norton antivirus scripting may be culprit, but I uninstalled and got some message. I also read that mail notification may be the problem, but I get the same error message whether it is on or not. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Solved my own problem. Ran detect and repair from within Outlook and error message went away. "David" <DBishop@crammer-bishop.com> wrote in message news:e2AXMQNMGHA.2992@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > When Outlook sends and receives I get the...

Double signatures in templates
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_01C4_01C4AF79.7366B130 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have multiple PC's in use right now by my users all using the same = image. I installed Office 2003 with SP1 and now they have a extra = signature showing up at the top when they open a template. The user = would usually setup the template just like a new email. They would type = what they want, and then put their signature at the bottom, then save as = an Outlook Template. When they open the t...

not able to send email
When I try to send email i get this message: Please help The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'literacy' Server: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E Protocol: SMTP Port: 25 Secure(SSL): No Socket Error: 10013 Has this ever worked for you? If so, what has changed? Yahoo has not recommended that server for several years already. What type of Yahoo account do you have, free (US-based), free (other country than US), paid (Mail Plus), or a partnered account via one of = the=20 big ISPs (AT&T, Verizon, etc.)? Who is your IS...

Import from Excel to Windows live outlook
How to import contacts from an Excel Spreadsheet to Windows live Outlook No such animal as "Windows live Outlook". There is Microsoft Outlook, and you will find the option under File, Import and Export. And there is Windows Live Mail, and there you could probably look in Help or post your question to the Live Mail group. Either way, "Excel" isn't actually involved and isn't needed. Import from Excel wrote: > How to import contacts from an Excel Spreadsheet to Windows live Outlook If you mean Office Outlook............... See Ron's site ...

Outlook 2007 fault
Outlook 07 has dramatically slowed down and freezing my computer even after archiving old emails. Cant work without running about 500k mailbox. Does anyone have any solutions? Seems a bitstrange that a new programme should seem so inefficient!! thanks, Sam Sam, you wrote on Wed, 4 Jul 2007 05:08:15 -0700: > Outlook 07 has dramatically slowed down and freezing my computer even after > archiving old emails. Cant work without running about 500k mailbox. Does > anyone have any solutions? Seems a bitstrange that a new programme should > seem so inefficient!! http:/...

Exchange 2007 Forwarded mail has a Resent-From: header added?
Hello, I asked this before but got no response. Exchange 2007 adds a Resent-From: header to messages that are forwarded based on active directory forwarding. In other words you create a contact with and external smtp addres and then have the an exchange user configured to use that contact as an alternate recipient. When the user receives a mail it is set to the alternate recipient. In Exchange 2003 this was operation was transparent other than an additional Received: header. In Exchange 2007 a Resent-From: header is added. Is there a way to supress this header? Thanks Bill The resent-...

Exchange 2000 Holding emails
We are running Exchange 2000 on Windows 2000 both are service packed etc. also on the 2000 server is Computer Associates etrust version 7 and GFI mail security & essentials. Our email is relayed to us from our ISP Last week one or two users reported that customers had sent emails but did not arrive?. checked the queue's, all okay, sent test messages to our ISP, test messages bounced back okay. looked at the system logs, nothing untoward .. kept an eye on the server all week and everything looked okay ... emails coming in and going out. Or so I thought. Monday morning, came in and f...

Creating Combinations from Two Lists
I have data in two lists on two different worksheets. The data is laid out as: Worksheet A A B C Worksheeet B X Y Z I need to define the relationship between each element in a vertical setting, In the past I have used cut and paste but am hoping to write a macro that would create the relationships for me. For example: Col A Col B Col C A X A Y A Z X A Y A Z A Does anyone have any thoughts ...

Blocking incoming email from AOL
On Exchange 5.5 I have entered aol.com in message filtering on the IMC. I stopped and restarted the IMC but emial from AOL continues to get through. Does anyone have any ideas. Cheers Mark, You have to enter @aol.com to get this feature to work. The help file is incorrect. Also, if you're just trying to block spam, AOL might not really be the actual spammer. Spammers love to put domain names in the message header that are false. It throws people off their trail. Rob "Mark" <m.sandiforth@groundrent.co.uk> wrote in message news:0ae301c3af73$9d79a240$a501280a@phx.gbl...