Outlook 2002/XP: Automatic Export to *.pst backup? PLEASE

Hi
..
Since I had reinstall WinXP Pro and MS Office Pro 2002/XP a handy
little trick has gone AWOL.

I used to have Outlook set so that, every two days, on shutdown, it
automatically offered to back up as much as possible to a *.pst file.

This was very handy on reinstallation.

I have tried all I can think of and cannot work it out.

Does anyone know how it's done?

Thanks in advance.

David
David Probett
davidprobett@pobox.com

"David Probett" <davidprobett@***> wrote in message
> Hi
> .
> Since I had reinstall WinXP Pro and MS Office Pro 2002/XP a handy
> little trick has gone AWOL.
>
> I used to have Outlook set so that, every two days, on shutdown, it
> automatically offered to back up as much as possible to a *.pst file.
>
> This was very handy on reinstallation.
>
> I have tried all I can think of and cannot work it out.
>
> Does anyone know how it's done?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> David
> David Probett
> davidprobett@**********

You need to reinstall the MS Personal Files Backup Utility. Do you still
have the setup for it? If not, you can download it from MS.

Note - posting your valid e-mail address in a newsgroup post, or in your
news account settings, is a surefire way to get spam and SWEN and other
viruses sent to you....see http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm for help
in the future, but note that now that your address is out there, there's not
much you can do other than changing your address.

0
lanwench (7567)
2/12/2006 6:11:17 PM
A free add on is called Outlook Personal Folder Backup which will do this
for you.  It will add the backup item to the menu and you can automate it.
It is a very small download that you can search for on the web.

However, I still do mine manually too (about once a month or two).   For
manual, you select File->Import or Export->Export to a File (then select
..pst).  Important to note that you can export an sections you want or click
all subfolders to get everything.

"David Probett" <davidprobett@pobox.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> .
> Since I had reinstall WinXP Pro and MS Office Pro 2002/XP a handy
> little trick has gone AWOL.
>
> I used to have Outlook set so that, every two days, on shutdown, it
> automatically offered to back up as much as possible to a *.pst file.
>
> This was very handy on reinstallation.
>
> I have tried all I can think of and cannot work it out.
>
> Does anyone know how it's done?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> David
> David Probett
> davidprobett@pobox.com

0
someone1 (389)
2/12/2006 7:31:24 PM
Do you mean this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8B081F3A-B7D0-4B16-B8AF-5A6322F4FD01&displaylang=en

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, David Probett asked:

| Hi
| .
| Since I had reinstall WinXP Pro and MS Office Pro 2002/XP a handy
| little trick has gone AWOL.
|
| I used to have Outlook set so that, every two days, on shutdown, it
| automatically offered to back up as much as possible to a *.pst file.
|
| This was very handy on reinstallation.
|
| I have tried all I can think of and cannot work it out.
|
| Does anyone know how it's done?
|
| Thanks in advance.
|
| David
| David Probett
| davidprobett@pobox.com

0
MillyS (3228)
2/12/2006 7:34:07 PM
Ah. Silly me!
I forgot about that one.

Thank you both

David

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:34:07 -0800, "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
<MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote:

>Do you mean this:
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8B081F3A-B7D0-4B16-B8AF-5A6322F4FD01&displaylang=en
>
>--?
>Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
>Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  All
>unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
>reading.
>
>After furious head scratching, David Probett asked:
>
>| Hi
>| .
>| Since I had reinstall WinXP Pro and MS Office Pro 2002/XP a handy
>| little trick has gone AWOL.
>|
>| I used to have Outlook set so that, every two days, on shutdown, it
>| automatically offered to back up as much as possible to a *.pst file.
>|
>| This was very handy on reinstallation.
>|
>| I have tried all I can think of and cannot work it out.
>|
>| Does anyone know how it's done?
>|
>| Thanks in advance.
>|
>| David
>| David Probett
>| davidprobett@pobox.com

David Probett
davidprobett@pobox.com
Yes that is what I'm talking about.
Except I use the 2002 version.  Thanks for finding the website for this
person (post).

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
<MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
> Do you mean this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8B081F3A-B7D0-4B16-B8AF-5A6322F4FD01&displaylang=en

> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> reading.
>
> After furious head scratching, David Probett asked:
>
> | Hi
> | .
> | Since I had reinstall WinXP Pro and MS Office Pro 2002/XP a handy
> | little trick has gone AWOL.
> |
> | I used to have Outlook set so that, every two days, on shutdown, it
> | automatically offered to back up as much as possible to a *.pst file.
> |
> | This was very handy on reinstallation.
> |
> | I have tried all I can think of and cannot work it out.
> |
> | Does anyone know how it's done?
> |
> | Thanks in advance.
> |
> | David
> | David Probett
> | davidprobett@pobox.com

0
someone1 (389)
2/12/2006 9:29:47 PM
That version works with all the supported Outlook versions, 2000 through
2003.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, JCO asked:

| Yes that is what I'm talking about.
| Except I use the 2002 version.  Thanks for finding the website for
| this person (post).
|
| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
|| Do you mean this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8B081F3A-B7D0-4B16-B8AF-5A6322F4FD01&displaylang=en
|| --�
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  All
|| unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
|| reading.
|| After furious head scratching, David Probett asked:
||| Hi
||| .
||| Since I had reinstall WinXP Pro and MS Office Pro 2002/XP a handy
||| little trick has gone AWOL.
||| I used to have Outlook set so that, every two days, on shutdown, it
||| automatically offered to back up as much as possible to a *.pst
||| file.
||| This was very handy on reinstallation.
||| I have tried all I can think of and cannot work it out.
||| Does anyone know how it's done?
||| Thanks in advance.
||| David
||| David Probett
||| davidprobett@pobox.com

0
MillyS (3228)

CRM address book in Outlook

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

OL 2002 Hanging up When Attaching Docs

Outlook Sales

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

Please help #8

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

outlook 2007 e-mail

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

Outlook context menu lost most options
Hi there. I'd dearly love some help with this matter. It's been going on for months now. Has anyone got any idea how I can sort this issue out? "Jonathan E. (NZ)" <s_pam_stop@hotmail.comTAKEOUTTHESECAPS> wrote in message news:<eYICp6NCFHA.3976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... Hi there, I run outlook 2003. It would seem that the context menu has lost the plot. It looks like outlook has gone into some "mode" other than the one it is usually in by default. I have found that when I right click on any mail folder the context menu has very different options f...

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary