Outlook 2002 SP3 Virtual Memory / Crashing problem

Hello, all.

I have Outlook 2002 SP3 on my work laptop. (thus, upgrading is not an
option.) I have recently broken out the .pst into multiple files, and run
the outlook repair program against the main .pst file. Even before that I
have had a problem where outlook, even sitting, will in a period of time
(anywhere from 20 minutes to hours) will lock up. It will lock up the entire
computer. A Virtual Memory is running low, making more box is presented, and
eventually outlook will crash. Then the computer recovers. It can lock the
computer up for 5 minutes.

Any quick ideas? My main PST file is rather large (330 MB) but I had it much
bigger long before the issue started.

Thanks,

Maury

0
maury1 (2)

How much free disk space do you have?  Have you tried increasing your
virtual memory size?

--
Aloha,

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm

Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup.  Mahalo!

"Maury" <maury@nortel.com> wrote in message
> Hello, all.
>
> I have Outlook 2002 SP3 on my work laptop. (thus, upgrading is not an
> option.) I have recently broken out the .pst into multiple files, and run
> the outlook repair program against the main .pst file. Even before that I
> have had a problem where outlook, even sitting, will in a period of time
> (anywhere from 20 minutes to hours) will lock up. It will lock up the
> entire
> computer. A Virtual Memory is running low, making more box is presented,
> and
> eventually outlook will crash. Then the computer recovers. It can lock the
> computer up for 5 minutes.
>
> Any quick ideas? My main PST file is rather large (330 MB) but I had it
> much
> bigger long before the issue started.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Maury

0
bens1 (1425)
11/14/2005 1:03:49 AM
it's not the size - that's actually quite small for a mailbox. what addins
do you have installed? are you using a desktop search engine?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Maury" <maury@nortel.com> wrote in message
> Hello, all.
>
> I have Outlook 2002 SP3 on my work laptop. (thus, upgrading is not an
> option.) I have recently broken out the .pst into multiple files, and run
> the outlook repair program against the main .pst file. Even before that I
> have had a problem where outlook, even sitting, will in a period of time
> (anywhere from 20 minutes to hours) will lock up. It will lock up the
> entire
> computer. A Virtual Memory is running low, making more box is presented,
> and
> eventually outlook will crash. Then the computer recovers. It can lock the
> computer up for 5 minutes.
>
> Any quick ideas? My main PST file is rather large (330 MB) but I had it
> much
> bigger long before the issue started.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Maury

0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/14/2005 2:25:46 AM
Why yes, yes I am. Google.

That would make sense on the timing of this issue, now that you mention it.

> it's not the size - that's actually quite small for a mailbox. what addins
> do you have installed? are you using a desktop search engine?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> "Maury" <maury@nortel.com> wrote in message
> > Hello, all.
> >
> > I have Outlook 2002 SP3 on my work laptop. (thus, upgrading is not an
> > option.) I have recently broken out the .pst into multiple files, and
run
> > the outlook repair program against the main .pst file. Even before that
> > have had a problem where outlook, even sitting, will in a period of time
> > (anywhere from 20 minutes to hours) will lock up. It will lock up the
> > entire
> > computer. A Virtual Memory is running low, making more box is presented,
> > and
> > eventually outlook will crash. Then the computer recovers. It can lock
the
> > computer up for 5 minutes.
> >
> > Any quick ideas? My main PST file is rather large (330 MB) but I had it
> > much
> > bigger long before the issue started.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Maury

0
maury1 (2)
11/14/2005 4:14:21 PM
I know from experience that the msn desktop search can cause problem in
outlook, so it's likely the google one causing your problems. Disable the
outlook search if possible, otherwise uninstall and if you reinstall, don't
include outlook in the searching (assuming it's possible to control that).

On 11/14/05 11:14 AM, in article dlad4u$fg1$1@zcars129.ca.nortel.com,

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.

0
outlookmvp (5838)

outlook.exe not terminating
I'm running Office XP with Outlook 2002 under Windows XP Pro, current as of today, except that I have reverted the IE update to the previous version of mshtml.dll that scrolls correctly (this has had no effect on the problem I am about to describe). I typically have a lot of applications running - no big deal as I have a 3.04 P4 with 1GB of memory. A problem that happens several times a day is that outlook.exe remains in the Task Manager process list after I shut Outlook down. In older versions, there used to be a message that said "Please wait while Outlook shuts down&qu...

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

SQL deadlock problem

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"