Outlook 2002 and categories

Hello
How can I send emails to all the  addresses from a category ?
Also why does Outlook uses the address book to send emails and not the
contacts????  That is quite dumb because there is no bridges from the
personal address book to the contacts !!!
Why such a useless functionality???
Yves Bodson
yves@ybdigitals.com

--

=====================================

You are welcome to visit my digital art gallery at http://www.ybdigitals.com
or my digital photography gallery at http://www.pbase.com/yves
Then listen to Mark Twain who once advised; "blessed is the man, who having
nothing to say, does not proceed to prove it."
This led us to consider that if "insanity is being defined as: "repeating
the same behavior despite consistently obtaining the same undesirable
results", then 'no one ever won a medal for being in the audience. Which
could relate to the second law of thermodynamics which can be summarized as
"you can't get something for nothing."
    The world wouldn't be
    In such a snarl
    If Marx had been Groucho
    Instead of Karl.
Le temps n'attend personne. Rassemble chaque instant qu'il te reste
et il sera de grande valeur.
Thank you.

0
smurk (5)

Oh, calm down.
Use the By Category view of your Contacts Folder.
Select the Category.
Actions > New Message to Contact...
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Smurk" <smurk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> How can I send emails to all the  addresses from a category ?
> Also why does Outlook uses the address book to send emails and not the
> contacts????  That is quite dumb because there is no bridges from the
> personal address book to the contacts !!!
> Why such a useless functionality???
> Yves Bodson
> yves@ybdigitals.com
>

> --
>

> =====================================
>
> You are welcome to visit my digital art gallery at
> http://www.ybdigitals.com
> or my digital photography gallery at http://www.pbase.com/yves
> Then listen to Mark Twain who once advised; "blessed is the man, who
> having
> nothing to say, does not proceed to prove it."
> This led us to consider that if "insanity is being defined as: "repeating
> the same behavior despite consistently obtaining the same undesirable
> results", then 'no one ever won a medal for being in the audience. Which
> could relate to the second law of thermodynamics which can be summarized
> as
> "you can't get something for nothing."
>    The world wouldn't be
>    In such a snarl
>    If Marx had been Groucho
>    Instead of Karl.
> Le temps n'attend personne. Rassemble chaque instant qu'il te reste
> et il sera de grande valeur.
> Thank you.

0
russval (3097)
12/1/2004 12:06:37 AM
First thank you.
This is the first coherent answer I got from this group and others.
But!  when I follow that method, I end up with all the contacts in the To:
Which means that they will be visible to all the list.
Is there a way to sequentially send all the contacts from a category without
having them lining up in the To: and be visible?  scripts or else?
Also I would like to seize the opportunity of having somebody who seems to
know about Outlook, why does it uses a personal address book that cannot be
sorted by categories and on the other hand we have all the contacts that are
redondant and with categories?  Is there a way to merge these two or at
least use only contact to send emails?
Or maybe I did not understand anything to Outlook..
Thanks you again even if I don't get an answer..
Yves Bodson
yves@ybdigitals.com

> Oh, calm down.
> Use the By Category view of your Contacts Folder.
> Select the Category.
> Actions > New Message to Contact...
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Smurk" <smurk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> > How can I send emails to all the  addresses from a category ?
> > Also why does Outlook uses the address book to send emails and not the
> > contacts????  That is quite dumb because there is no bridges from the
> > personal address book to the contacts !!!
> > Why such a useless functionality???
> > Yves Bodson
> > yves@ybdigitals.com
> >

> > --
> >

> > =====================================
> >
> > You are welcome to visit my digital art gallery at
> > http://www.ybdigitals.com
> > or my digital photography gallery at http://www.pbase.com/yves
> > Then listen to Mark Twain who once advised; "blessed is the man, who
> > having
> > nothing to say, does not proceed to prove it."
> > This led us to consider that if "insanity is being defined as:
"repeating
> > the same behavior despite consistently obtaining the same undesirable
> > results", then 'no one ever won a medal for being in the audience. Which
> > could relate to the second law of thermodynamics which can be summarized
> > as
> > "you can't get something for nothing."
> >    The world wouldn't be
> >    In such a snarl
> >    If Marx had been Groucho
> >    Instead of Karl.
> > Le temps n'attend personne. Rassemble chaque instant qu'il te reste
> > et il sera de grande valeur.
> > Thank you.

0
smurk (5)
12/1/2004 12:21:00 AM
This method can only be used to populate the To: field. To populate another
field, you'd have to cut and paste. Another alternative is to create and use
Distributions Lists. Unlike Categories, Distribution Lists will appear in
the Outlook Address Book. I don't like DL's very much, though, because they
are buggy, hard to maintain and can't be used for more advanced functions
things like mail merges.
In my opinion, the Outlook Address Book is a weak, inflexible interface that
has undergone no development whatsoever. Most of the development in Outlook
has been with Contacts Folders which can be sorted and customized to your
heart's content. The Personal Address Book have not been used for years in
Outlook.
--
> First thank you.
> This is the first coherent answer I got from this group and others.
> But!  when I follow that method, I end up with all the contacts in the To:
> Which means that they will be visible to all the list.
> Is there a way to sequentially send all the contacts from a category
> without
> having them lining up in the To: and be visible?  scripts or else?
> Also I would like to seize the opportunity of having somebody who seems to
> know about Outlook, why does it uses a personal address book that cannot
> be
> sorted by categories and on the other hand we have all the contacts that
> are
> redondant and with categories?  Is there a way to merge these two or at
> least use only contact to send emails?
> Or maybe I did not understand anything to Outlook..
> Thanks you again even if I don't get an answer..
> Yves Bodson
> yves@ybdigitals.com
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Oh, calm down.
>> Use the By Category view of your Contacts Folder.
>> Select the Category.
>> Actions > New Message to Contact...
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Smurk" <smurk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello
>> > How can I send emails to all the  addresses from a category ?
>> > Also why does Outlook uses the address book to send emails and not the
>> > contacts????  That is quite dumb because there is no bridges from the
>> > personal address book to the contacts !!!
>> > Why such a useless functionality???
>> > Yves Bodson
>> > yves@ybdigitals.com
>> >

>> > --
>> >

>> > =====================================
>> >
>> > You are welcome to visit my digital art gallery at
>> > http://www.ybdigitals.com
>> > or my digital photography gallery at http://www.pbase.com/yves
>> > Then listen to Mark Twain who once advised; "blessed is the man, who
>> > having
>> > nothing to say, does not proceed to prove it."
>> > This led us to consider that if "insanity is being defined as:
> "repeating
>> > the same behavior despite consistently obtaining the same undesirable
>> > results", then 'no one ever won a medal for being in the audience.
>> > Which
>> > could relate to the second law of thermodynamics which can be
>> > summarized
>> > as
>> > "you can't get something for nothing."
>> >    The world wouldn't be
>> >    In such a snarl
>> >    If Marx had been Groucho
>> >    Instead of Karl.
>> > Le temps n'attend personne. Rassemble chaque instant qu'il te reste
>> > et il sera de grande valeur.
>> > Thank you.

0
russval (3097)