Outlook 2000 client Connection TimeOut w/ Ex5.5 server???

Hi, we have a really intriguing issue that started recently.

Outlook users, when clicking on an item in the Mailbox, will get the message
"Can't open this item. The operation could not be completed because of an
error on the network. Try to log on to the network again, and then repeat
the operation."
The user will click OK, and usually will be able to open the same item in
one or two attempts.

The Envrionment:  Ex5.5 SP4, Outlook 2000.
It is ONLY the Windows98 users that is seeing this message, on NT and W2k
stations, there's this occassional hour-glass when we click on an item, but
eventually the item will be open.

My conjecture is that 'inactive' outlook clients will have to re-establish
their connections with the Ex server (via server port 1057 and 1068). And
W98 couldn't tolerate the time needed for the re-establishment and throw up
that message. While NT and W2k just throw up the hour-glass.

Any ideas? Is there a registry value on W98 that I can adjust to make it
more tolerate? Like TcpKeepCnt

If the conjecture above is true, another question is why would this
suddently started to happen? The W98 users does not have that problem since
recently- when our WINS server has to be restarted, and the Master Browser
was a 'bad' candidate -- these were corrected.
We also reapplied SP4 on Ex without running the optimizer- will that cause
issues?

Thnx!
Calvin

0
clo1 (2)

Problem resolved -- PIX noproxyarp was turned on -- see Q325967.
Calvin
"Calvin Lo" <clo@cityofcampbell.com> wrote in message
> There's another message where the problem exemplifies itself:
> "Unable to load personal free/busy data. Network problems are preventing
> connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer."
>
> Calvin
>
> "Calvin Lo" <clo@cityofcampbell.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, we have a really intriguing issue that started recently.
> >
> > Outlook users, when clicking on an item in the Mailbox, will get the
> message
> > "Can't open this item. The operation could not be completed because of
an
> > error on the network. Try to log on to the network again, and then
repeat
> > the operation."
> > The user will click OK, and usually will be able to open the same item
in
> > one or two attempts.
> >
> > The Envrionment:  Ex5.5 SP4, Outlook 2000.
> > It is ONLY the Windows98 users that is seeing this message, on NT and
W2k
> > stations, there's this occassional hour-glass when we click on an item,
> but
> > eventually the item will be open.
> >
> > My conjecture is that 'inactive' outlook clients will have to
re-establish
> > their connections with the Ex server (via server port 1057 and 1068).
And
> > W98 couldn't tolerate the time needed for the re-establishment and throw
> up
> > that message. While NT and W2k just throw up the hour-glass.
> >
> > Any ideas? Is there a registry value on W98 that I can adjust to make it
> > more tolerate? Like TcpKeepCnt
> >
> > If the conjecture above is true, another question is why would this
> > suddently started to happen? The W98 users does not have that problem
> since
> > recently- when our WINS server has to be restarted, and the Master
Browser
> > was a 'bad' candidate -- these were corrected.
> > We also reapplied SP4 on Ex without running the optimizer- will that
cause
> > issues?
> >
> > Thnx!
> > Calvin

0
clo1 (2)

Steps in Exchange 2000 to change domain name?
We have an existing domain name (company.com). We have decided to change our name to newcompany.com. Right now the users are user@company.com and we want it to be user@newcompany.com. What do I need to do to change that in Exchange? I have made the necessary DNS changes (or so I believe). Thank you!!! Douglas Just add newcompany.com to your recipient policy & make it the default...best not to remove your existing company.com addresses as it may help during the transition to let users receive mail for both addresses. See http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html for help. ; ...

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Reporting from Project Server

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

WCF Client serialization problem

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

cannot open hyper links in outlook

MS POS = RMS? Also, SQL Connectivity...

outlook 97 and express email problems

CClientSocket::ConnectSocket() Timeout period
I'm using CClientSocket::ConnectSocket(), and I wonder if and how I could shorten the timeout ??? Thanks, Tom Salicos Depends one who wrote the CClientSocket class (that is not a MFC class!!!) Who is class is it?? AliR. "Tom S. Lee" <tsalicos_AT_drykilns.net> wrote in message news:%23DR2su5tEHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I'm using CClientSocket::ConnectSocket(), and I wonder if and how I could > shorten the timeout ??? > > Thanks, > Tom Salicos > > ...

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Pivot Table Question #5