Outlok 2003 Word Attachments are Read Only and in 2 page view

I have a client with Outlook 2003 and when he receives an email with a word
doc attached and attempts to open it (rather than save it 1st) it opens in
Word as read only and shows as a split screen (2 page book view). if he
saves it to the drive 1st he can remove the read only attribute and then
Word opens it normally.

Any Ideas?

0
admin9904 (15)

Not sure why the view is different. My OT advice - always save attachments
you want to edit, and then open them. Otherwise you're using a temp copy of
the file & may lose changes.

Marc Seidler wrote:
> I have a client with Outlook 2003 and when he receives an email with
> a word doc attached and attempts to open it (rather than save it 1st)
> it opens in Word as read only and shows as a split screen (2 page
> book view). if he saves it to the drive 1st he can remove the read
> only attribute and then Word opens it normally.
>
> Any Ideas?

0
lanwench (7567)
8/5/2004 3:50:06 AM
Sounds like he's opening the attachment from the Outlook reading pane and
has Word set to allow the Reading layout. For the first issue, tell him to
open the message, then open the attachment from the open message. For the
second, in Word, Tools | Options | General, then clear the box for "Allow
starting in Reading Layout."

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"Marc Seidler" <admin@computerdoctors.net> wrote in message
> I have a client with Outlook 2003 and when he receives an email with a
word
> doc attached and attempts to open it (rather than save it 1st) it opens in
> Word as read only and shows as a split screen (2 page book view). if he
> saves it to the drive 1st he can remove the read only attribute and then
> Word opens it normally.
>
> Any Ideas?

0
suemvp (4038)
8/5/2004 1:05:48 PM
Hi Marc,
                This happens if your client is opening any documents from
the preview pane.This is by design in outlook.
Ask your customer to open the documents from the email and not from the
preview pane.Check what happens.

Best regards
Suresh

"Marc Seidler" <admin@computerdoctors.net> wrote in message
> I have a client with Outlook 2003 and when he receives an email with a
word
> doc attached and attempts to open it (rather than save it 1st) it opens in
> Word as read only and shows as a split screen (2 page book view). if he
> saves it to the drive 1st he can remove the read only attribute and then
> Word opens it normally.
>
> Any Ideas?

Attachment
Hi gurus I have the following problem, when I try to attach a zip file bigger than 250Kb the action does nothing is like after picking the file to attach nothing happens but when I get file of 113,200KB , there is no problem, the attached zip file is there with no problem can someone help with this strange problem thanks a bunch Any One gurus OL2007 "naguaramipana" wrote: > Hi gurus > > I have the following problem, when I try to attach a zip file bigger than > 250Kb the action does nothing is like after picking the file to attach > not...

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Microsoft POS #2

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns