Out of Office - keep computer running?

I  have a problem when I try to set up my "out of office" message.  I use
Outlook 2003 and have XP Professional.  I do not have an exchange server so I
have to emulate it - which I did.  So.........when I leave for vacation, I
have to leave my computer on and Outlook running to have the "Out of Office"
message sent to any incoming emails.  This seems crazy to me.  I run a small
business from my home - so what happens if the power goes off on the first
day of vacation - then I have no out of office message going to clients.  Is
there any way around this??  Thanks in advance.
0
judyjht (3)

No.  However, you can see if your ISP offers a "vacation message" - many =
do and this is the better alternative since the ISP should filter out =
spam before sending the vacation message and confirming your address as =
good to every spammer.

--=81
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading. =20

After furious head scratching, judyjht asked:

| I  have a problem when I try to set up my "out of office" message.  I
| use Outlook 2003 and have XP Professional.  I do not have an exchange
| server so I have to emulate it - which I did.  So.........when I
| leave for vacation, I have to leave my computer on and Outlook
| running to have the "Out of Office" message sent to any incoming
| emails.  This seems crazy to me.  I run a small business from my home
| - so what happens if the power goes off on the first day of vacation
| - then I have no out of office message going to clients.  Is there
| any way around this??  Thanks in advance.
0
MillyS (3228)
4/8/2007 11:30:38 PM
judyjht wrote:
> I  have a problem when I try to set up my "out of office" message.  I
> use Outlook 2003 and have XP Professional.  I do not have an exchange
> server so I have to emulate it - which I did.  So.........when I
> leave for vacation, I have to leave my computer on and Outlook
> running to have the "Out of Office" message sent to any incoming
> emails.  This seems crazy to me.  I run a small business from my home
> - so what happens if the power goes off on the first day of vacation
> - then I have no out of office message going to clients.  Is there
> any way around this??

Yes and no.

It might seem crazy to you, but, well, you're asking Outlook to do something
that only it can do.  How is it going to be able to do it if your computer
isn't running?

That said, the first place I would go to is my ISP.  Do they provide for an
Out of Office feature on your mailbox?  Of course, that might require that
you have a business account, something that you may or may not have.

--
f.h.

0
f.h.muffman (751)
4/8/2007 11:43:08 PM
Thanks for the help.  I'll call the ISP first thing tomorrow - this is
getting me crazy!!

"F.H. Muffman" wrote:

> judyjht wrote:
> > I  have a problem when I try to set up my "out of office" message.  I
> > use Outlook 2003 and have XP Professional.  I do not have an exchange
> > server so I have to emulate it - which I did.  So.........when I
> > leave for vacation, I have to leave my computer on and Outlook
> > running to have the "Out of Office" message sent to any incoming
> > emails.  This seems crazy to me.  I run a small business from my home
> > - so what happens if the power goes off on the first day of vacation
> > - then I have no out of office message going to clients.  Is there
> > any way around this??
>
> Yes and no.
>
> It might seem crazy to you, but, well, you're asking Outlook to do something
> that only it can do.  How is it going to be able to do it if your computer
> isn't running?
>
> That said, the first place I would go to is my ISP.  Do they provide for an
> Out of Office feature on your mailbox?  Of course, that might require that
> you have a business account, something that you may or may not have.
>
> --
> f.h.

0
judyjht (3)
4/9/2007 12:16:02 AM
Your PC has an option in the bios (unless it is a really old PC) to restart
in the event of a power failure to its last know power state.  This means
that if the power goes off (and you have this set in the bios) the PC will
turn back on when the power is restored.

A UPS isn't a bad idea either - vacation or not.

squishy

0
squishy (18)
4/9/2007 6:10:52 AM
Is this something I can set myself or should I have the "computer guy" do
it??    Also, what is UPS???  Do I need it and how/where do I get it?

"squishy" wrote:

> Your PC has an option in the bios (unless it is a really old PC) to restart
> in the event of a power failure to its last know power state.  This means
> that if the power goes off (and you have this set in the bios) the PC will
> turn back on when the power is restored.
>
> A UPS isn't a bad idea either - vacation or not.
>
> squishy

0
judyjht (3)
4/9/2007 1:26:01 PM
If you have a computer guy - have him/her do it.  They can do it in about 2
minutes and you know it was done right (I am assuming you aren't using Geek
Squad ;) ).

Usually you get to the BIOS by hitting the DEL, or F2 or F10 or F12 or F??
key (it will say so on your screen most of the time when the PC starts to
boot).  What type PC do you have (manufacturer and model)?  I may be able to
point you to the instructions.

UPS - Uniterruptable Power Supply.  It's basically a battery that your PC
runs off of in the event of a power outage.  Belkin's also condition the
power so that you are safe from power spikes and surges better than most
others.  They also have connections for your cable, ethernet or DSL cables
to protect you from any lightning surges through those lines.  And, the
better ones come with software that will (in the event the power stays off
long enough to drain the battery) safely shutdown your apps and your machine
to avoid hard drives crashing and data (or even your OS) getting corrupted.

UPS's typically give you time to save the work you are on and close your PC.
You can continue to run until it flashes a battery low warning on the
screen, but you should definitely save your work and close your apps if you
can.  If not, the UPS software will try and do it for you if the power is
out so long that the battery is drained.

You can get them at Best Buy, Comp USA, MicroCenter, even WalMart.....but
the best value (price + quality) will probably be at NewEgg.com.

WalMart (I'm not familiar with the quality of the name brands on their page)
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&search_query=ups&ic=24_0

Personally, I'd go with a 38 minute Belkin for $85 at New Egg
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101216) or a 100
Minute Belkin for only $106 at NewEgg
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842121002).  They
both offer ethernet/DSL/Cable surge protection as well as power surge
protection (and lightning WILL get your stuff via cable/DSL/ethernet lines
if you aren't protected.

Eevn with the UPS, you still need to set that BIOS to restart your PC in the
event of a power outage.  The UPS will protect it from surges, run things
until the battery dies and safe ly shut it down if you aren't there to do it
yourself, but it won't resart your PC - that's the BIOS setting.

For max battery life, use your UPS for your monitor (LCDs use a LOT less
juice than analog monitors) and your PC.  This is about protecting your
data.  Your printing can wait (and, yes, printers really drain a UPS fast
too).

Good luck to ya!

"judyjht" <judyjht@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is this something I can set myself or should I have the "computer guy" do
> it??    Also, what is UPS???  Do I need it and how/where do I get it?
>
> "squishy" wrote:
>
>> Your PC has an option in the bios (unless it is a really old PC) to
>> restart
>> in the event of a power failure to its last know power state.  This means
>> that if the power goes off (and you have this set in the bios) the PC
>> will
>> turn back on when the power is restored.
>>
>> A UPS isn't a bad idea either - vacation or not.
>>
>> squishy

0
squishy (18)

Upgrade to Office Enterprise 2007 problems
I just upgraded to Enterprise 07 and now two of my oong time use databases don't work. First error isOn Got Focus... "The expression you entered has a function name that MS Access can't find." Then Expression OnMouse Move..."The expression you entered has a function name that MS Access can't find." Locks up and can't continue. I know NOTHING of access these are databases that I downloaded from MS site for prev version. Music collection database and DVD Collection database. Help! Thanks The first thing I would do is to check for any ...

keep $ formatting when concatenating
Here's a sample of my data: A1: Building A B1: $36,456.00 C1: =A1 & " " & B1 But C1 returns: Building A 36456 And what I want is this: Building A $36,456.00 In other words, the concatenation dumps the "currency" formatting in cell B1, but I want to KEEP that formatting. Can I do that? Hi Danielo Format B1 as text and type in your dollar amount manually. HTH Michael "danielo" wrote: > Here's a sample of my data: > A1: Building A > B1: $36,456.00 > C1: =A1 & " " & B1 > > But C1 returns: Building A 36456 &g...

Office for Mac licensing question
I have an older Power Mac that runs Office 2001 for Mac on OS 9.1. I want to keep the older Mac and still use Office 2001 on it. I also want to get a new Mac (G4 probably) and run Office V. X on OS 10.3. Do I need to purchase a full-up version of Office V. X to install on the new Mac or can I purchase the Office V. X upgrade version instead? If I can get by with an upgrade, do I need to install Office 2001 on the new Mac and then uninstall Office 2001 after the upgrade is completed (since Office 2001 is running another Mac)? I basically want to run both Macs at the same time (an olde...

XL2007: Path to Another Workbook for Pivot Data keeps getting rese
Is anyone else using Excel 2007 experiencing this bug?: I have two workbooks: - 1 with worksheets of plain text data in rows and columns - 1 with Pivot charts and other chart worksheets that get data from the other workbook. Every time I save the workbook with the charts, close it, re-open it, and try to refresh the charts, I get an error message: "Cannot open PivotTable source file 'C:\Documents and Settings\username\Applications Data\Microsoft\Excel[dataworkbook.xlsx]datasheet1'. My dataworkbook.xlsx file has never resided in that folder. It is always in "My Doc...

i have win xp running office pro 2003 ...
While working in word or excel my computer keeps crashing, please anyone advice ...

Copying sheets from one file to another and keeping the formulas..
I maintain excel sheets that are used as forms that we have clients fill out to select options. The way we are set up is thus. You have a Collection... about 10 of them actually, and underneath them are SUB collections we call Elevations. Now.. the sheets we use are pretty universal, if there's a sheet for one collection.. there's a different version of that same sheet if not the same exact sheet in the other collections. To keep from having to retype or edit all of the formulas i have in them that point to other sheets in that file (ie. a file named "VillasCFP.xls&qu...

Automatic "out of office Reply"
Hi there! I'm planning a new user management. This disables usere in 3 stages: Account expires, disabled, deleted. When an account is expired,thr Email address is still working although the usser cannot logon anymore. So i think of creating an "out of office" reply for the time the account is expired. For this is a server side rule there must be a possibility to create this rule by script, right? But i could not find anything so far in the Exchange 2003 SDK. Can anybody help? Venkman On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 02:19:05 -0800, "Venkman" <Venkman@discussions.microsoft...

Problem Delay and Slowly Running the Microsoft Access
Hi, I have created the program (a small program) with the Microsoft Access. This program has share with 4 person/user difference PC. One as a admin and the other as a user We used this program at the same time. We have problem when all of user and admin running the program together, the program to be slowly and sometime delay for 5 to 10 second. Do you have any suggestion? Thank you, Regards, Fauzi On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 02:13:01 -0700, Fauzi <Fauzi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Check out this page: http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm -Tom. Mic...

Vista x64, computer only shows background
Whenever I start up my computer, all I see is my background. No icons, no start bar, nothing. If I press ctrl+alt+delete, all I see is a black screen (pressing escape goes back to my background.) I literally JUST installed mass effect 2 and tried to restart to fix another problem with the game not starting when this problem appeared. Any quick help would be appreciated. -- docwalrus Restore point to before the install of the game. "docwalrus" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:386edd2398d324b6c8f134bcfa463cfb@nntp-gateway.com... > > Whe...

Template for Excel to keep running record?
I need a template for Excel 2003 to keep a record of how much I run. Any tips? ...

Internet browsing SLOW when Oulook is running.
Not only is Outlook downloading new messages slowly, but all other internet traffic slows down as well. I run a download/upload meter, and can see that Outlook is not hugging the bandwidth. I have tried disabling addins, making a new pst file, reinstalling, detect and repair, scanpst without any luck. The strange thing is that I'm running the same settings on a separate machine without any problems. I am running windows xp with sp2 and all other updates, ad ware free and virus free. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! What do you show running in task manager? --� Mil...

Macro to automatically run
I have a macro created to pull in information and replace a file. I have tried to rename it Auto_open to automatically run everytime I open the Excel workbook named HotWarrants, it doesn't run until I click on the Macro button I put on the toolbar or go to the Macro menu. Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks, Where is the macro stored? Auto_Open will fire when stored in a regular code module (i.e., one created with Insert/Module, not the ThisWorkbook module or a worksheet module). Also, Auto macros won't run if the workbook is opened via code, unless...

synchronize folders between multiple computers
Hi there I leave copies of my incoming messages on the POP3 server for 10 days so that Outlook downloads incoming mail to both of my home-networked machines. I'd like to synchronize between the two machines too (particularly Sent Items, since I send mail from both machines). Is the article KB205229 "OL2000: (IMO) Managing a PST for Two Different Computers" the final word on the subject? -- The procedure outlined in that article is a bit clunky. Best regards Loane (I forgot to mention I'm running Outlook 2003 on Windows XP Pro) Loane Sharp <look_sharp@hotmail...

What files do I need to copy for new computer???
I just purchased a new computer and was wondering what Outlook files I need to copy and transfer to the new machine. I would like to capture all e-mail messages, contacts, and calendar events. Also, how do I keep these in their corresponding folders? Thanks! If you re-use your .PST file, you'll keep all the data (messages, appointments, contacts, etc.) just as it was before. Look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will...

Word 2004 saving every document as a "read Only" and keeps quitting
Hi, Has anyone had this happen? Word 2004 keeps saving my documents as "read only." I trashed the preferences and reinstalled. Also on every, new or old, document it says "Word can not fire event," along with it quitting for no particular reason. Can you help me figure out why it is saving everything as a read only file? Sigh...I am doing a big project in Word and I am not sure what to do about all these issues. I went to email Microsoft and it says my serial is not the correct one, even thought I am reading it directly off the package. Here is the error report from ...

Access Run Time & Visual Studio 2000
I have Ms office 2000 Professional and Microsoft Visual Studio 2000 Enterprise edition installed in my computer. I have made an access application .mde which I want to deliver to the users who is not having MS Access installed in their computer. By reading books I came to know that I have to make Mdb as runtime by the help of Microsoft Developer OR Microsoft Visual Studio 2000 and then distribute this application to user as mdb runtime. As I mentioned above that I have visual studio installed in my computer, please advise me steps in detail how to make the mdb as runtime so that I can ...

Solution for Office 2004 Install Quit (after license)
We've found a workaround for earlier posts about the Office 2004 installation process quiting just after accepting the license. Apparently, this is caused by some type of corruption in the target admin account, so on the advice of our IT people, I created a new account, made it an Admin, then logged into this new account and installed Office, no problem. I then logged back into the original problem account and had no difficulties opening any of the Office apps or adding them to the Dock. -- Lee This turned out to - partially - solve my problem. I was having exactly the same freeze after...

Publishing to excel server with office 2007 rtm
Hi all, Is it me or the publishing menu for excel services has disappeared from excel 2007 rtm?. It was there in beta2 and beta2 tech refresh but i cannot find it in the rtm version. The help file even shows that it should be under the "Publish" menu but cannot find it. "Click Microsoft Office Button , click the arrow next to Publish, and then click Excel Services under Distribute the document to other people." Am i missing something or do i need to install a different pack? Thanks. Sergio Apparently, you need Office Professional Plus 2007. -- HTH Bob Phillips ...

macro triggered by changes to cell only works if i run it twice
Hi, While developing a form with some automated elements I have come into a problem about triggering a macro when a user selects an option from a drop down cell (the drop down list is created through validation). I have previously been running the macro whenever ANY cell changes in the workbook, which was working fine. However, this started interfering with another macro I have added doing something else, so i have been trying to get my orginal macro to only run when the specific cell (F12) changes by a user selecting a dropdown option. I have tried several ways, with the ...

outlook office
how di i go straight to hotmail inbox on application? hotmail? in Office? pay them some money, I suppose. It was called Hotmail Plus at some point. Who knows now. "kedjiahn" <kedjiahn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12164B8A-1814-4857-BCEA-F300C108FEF5@microsoft.com... > how di i go straight to hotmail inbox on application? ...

Office won't validate!
Unable to validate? Any ideas? Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0): ----------------------------------------- WGA Data--> Validation Status: Genuine Validation Code: 0 Cached Validation Code: N/A Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6PWD9-Y4FF6-44DJB Windows Product Key Hash: l+bEZRyUIDcCQ4L9tzxQDqM/I34= Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2216082-97928 Windows Product ID Type: 3 Windows License Type: OEM System Builder Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro ID: {A7E781AA-F9B0-4ACD-88DC-95375F96CFFC}(3) Is Admin: Yes TestCab: 0x0 WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0 Signed By: M...

utility that indicates which other program is keeping OL from shutting down?
Sometimes Outlook will not shut down. Is there a utility useable by ordinary mortals that can show me which programs are hooked into Outlook and which might prevent Outlook from shutting down? -AH Look in comm addins & other addins, in whatever version of Outlook you are using, how you access these depends also on the version The usual suspects being, intergrated anti virus, fax software, third party desktop search, there are others "Andrew Hamilton" <Ahamilton90900@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:74rn255ac585163ekncnr6ls78uj5jonnr@4ax.com... > Sometimes Outlook ...

Difference between computers...
I have a problem and I have been unable to identify the source and hence unable to resolve it. I have a 2003 db, secured using mdw, split and running fine (in general) for the past 2-3yrs. I added a new user recently. When we log into the db on almost any computer, it work perfectly. But when he logs into the db using his laptop, one of the sub-forms does not allow him to make changes (date fields and check boxes are greyed out)?! The only difference I have been able to identify between the computers in that in general everyone have runtime 2002 and, he has runtime 2003....

Out of Office assistance #3
I have enable the "Out of Office Assiantance" in Ms Outlook 2003. It works fine when internal user send email to me. But it is not working when external user sent email to me (no auto reply to external sender). What could be the causes? The exchange server has out of office replies to the internet disabled. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchan...

Office Mac 2008 home version
Version: 2008 Processor: Intel Have Office Mac 2008 home program disk. Will not open window to install when disk inserted into laptop. Dell Windows Vista laptop 1525. Well, no sarcasm or insult intended, but why would you expect it to? Office *Mac* 2008 is for the Macintosh OS X operating system on Macintosh computers & can't be used with the Windows operating system. Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 5/31/09 4:18 PM, in article 59b759df.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "joycekay@officeformac.com" <joycekay@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 >...