Opening up a Word doc; Retrieving Outlook Email Messages

 I want to open up a microsoft word document, however when I choose "file"
"open" it only opens up a grey word doc without the text showing up in the
doc, even though I have plenty of disc space, and tried "system restore",
also tried a "full-system scan" and no viruses were found.  A message
dialogue box use to pop up when I tried to open the doc which said: "Check
the file permissions for the document drive" - how do I do that? It also
said: "Make sure there is sufficient free memory" How?  and lastly it said:
"Open the file with the text recovery converter" Tried this but it did not
open up.  So I went to the help window and it said: "If the file does not
open, it is either corrupt, locked by another application or is protected by
file permissions."  How can I tell this.  The disc is new, with just a few
docs on it, and when I put it on another new disc it still did not open up,
there are not any viruses or anyone else that uses this computer.  So what is
the problem and the solution.  Can you answer the questions listed one at a
time.  By the way the computer is slow in opening up docs though I have
plenty of free space, and have taken a lot off the computer through back up
system, etc.  Thank you in advance if you can answer these questions.

--
jeansau
0

I think you actually want to ask this question in the
microsoft.public.word.newusers newsgroup - this group is for Microsoft
Outlook.  When you post your question over there be sure to specify what
version of Microsoft Word you're using and what operating system (Windows
XP, Vista, etc.) you're running it on.

That said if you go to File | Open, find the file in question and rather
than opening it right-click on it and choose "Properties" you should be able
to see a checkbox that specifies if the file is Read Only or not.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"jeansau" <jackysaun@netzero.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> I want to open up a microsoft word document, however when I choose "file"
> "open" it only opens up a grey word doc without the text showing up in the
> doc, even though I have plenty of disc space, and tried "system restore",
> also tried a "full-system scan" and no viruses were found.  A message
> dialogue box use to pop up when I tried to open the doc which said: "Check
> the file permissions for the document drive" - how do I do that? It also
> said: "Make sure there is sufficient free memory" How?  and lastly it
> said:
> "Open the file with the text recovery converter" Tried this but it did not
> open up.  So I went to the help window and it said: "If the file does not
> open, it is either corrupt, locked by another application or is protected
> by
> file permissions."  How can I tell this.  The disc is new, with just a few
> docs on it, and when I put it on another new disc it still did not open
> up,
> there are not any viruses or anyone else that uses this computer.  So what
> is
> the problem and the solution.  Can you answer the questions listed one at
> time.  By the way the computer is slow in opening up docs though I have
> plenty of free space, and have taken a lot off the computer through back
> up
> system, etc.  Thank you in advance if you can answer these questions.
>
> --
> jeansau

0
bens1 (1425)

From time to time, I will recieve email from friends, family, or business...and when I get the email, I open it up to find nothing but white space. I can't find a common thing between emails. I just know it is very frustrating when I have to ask people to resend the email to me or to a new address. When I look at my mail on the server, it is fine. It is when I open Outlook and it downloads it to my desktop. I get nothing. Any ideas? Cheers.. vg Sorry, wanted to add that I am using OL2003 with WINXP and everything is updated SP wise. I am starting to see some articles on this...

Attaching Contacts to new email

OL 2002 Hanging up When Attaching Docs

Some Emails Cannot be Delivered

owa cant open ppt attachments

Outlook Sales

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

invalid email address

outlook 97 and express email problems

Having problem with spoofing email

cannot open hyper links in outlook

Save as .doc
In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? REBeyer wrote: > In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. > is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? Not that I know of. You can save as .txt, open in Word, and save as a Word doc, though. "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote: > REBeyer wrote: > > In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. > > is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? > > Not that I know of. You can save as ...

message delivery problems