Opening multiple accounts in Outlook 2003

Assuming I have account A as major mailbox and account B as additional.

Back in Outlook 2000, when browsing emails of account B and delete
emails, they go into the [Deleted Items] folder of account A, no
problem in that, I can still drag-n-drop the mails directly into the
[Deleted Items] of account B and does not interferce account A at all.

However in Outlook 2003, even when I drag the messages directly into
[Deleted Items] folder of account B, they still ended up in that of
account A.

Any work around that we could resolve this?

0
achen2002 (49)

achen <achen2002@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Assuming I have account A as major mailbox and account B as
> additional.
>
> Back in Outlook 2000, when browsing emails of account B and delete
> emails, they go into the [Deleted Items] folder of account A, no
> problem in that, I can still drag-n-drop the mails directly into the
> [Deleted Items] of account B and does not interferce account A at all.
>
> However in Outlook 2003, even when I drag the messages directly into
> [Deleted Items] folder of account B, they still ended up in that of
> account A.

Accounts have nothing to do with it.  Message stores do.  A set of folders
is not an account.  When you delete a message, it always goes into the
Deleted Items folder of the PST in which the message resides.  Moving it to
a Deleted Items folder by dragging is equivalent to selecting an item and
clicking Delete.  Either action will move the item to the Deleted Items
folder of the message store where the original resides.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
9/22/2005 9:06:44 PM
Brian,

I understand that "folder" does not equal to "account".  What you
described already happened in Outlook 2000 and I knew it.

Please read my post again, in Outlook 2000 I WAS ABLE TO DRAG emails
into the [Deleted Items] of account B but this method no longer works
in Outlook 2003, that was what my question is.

Thanks.

0
achen2002 (49)
9/22/2005 9:13:06 PM
Repeat - Folders DO NOT equal Accounts.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, achen asked:

| Brian,
|
| I understand that "folder" does not equal to "account".  What you
| described already happened in Outlook 2000 and I knew it.
|
| Please read my post again, in Outlook 2000 I WAS ABLE TO DRAG emails
| into the [Deleted Items] of account B but this method no longer works
| in Outlook 2003, that was what my question is.
|
| Thanks.

0
MillyS (3228)
9/23/2005 3:39:27 AM
achen <achen2002@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Please read my post again,

Your original post indicates you seem to be confusing "accounts" with
"folders"

> in Outlook 2000 I WAS ABLE TO DRAG emails
> into the [Deleted Items] of account B but this method no longer works
> in Outlook 2003, that was what my question is.

Whether or not a particular account has a specific set of folders associated
with it depends on the account type.  For Exchange accounts, POP accounts,
or any combination of the two, there is exactly ONE set of folders that they
all share, called the delivery location.  You can add more sets (called PSTs
or Personal Folders files), but they're not accounts and they're not
associated with any account.  All incoming mail for Exchange/POP accounts is
always placed in a singe Inbox and from there you can have rules that move
items to other folders, either in the same message store or another.  What
you state, "the [Deleted Items] of account B", it is a non-sequitur.

Account types that do have their own folder sets are HTTP and IMAP accounts.
SInce you didn't state what account types you're using, and since Exchange
and POP are the two most commonly used account types, and since IMAP
accounts don't even HAVE a Deleted Items folder, assumptions must be made as
to what your accounts are, so I described Outlook's behavior when dealing
with Exchange or POP accounts.  Outlook 2003 certainly behaves as I describe
and its behavior cannot be changed.  I don't have access to Outlook 2002 or
2000 right at this moment, but I do at home and I'll check to see if the
behaviour changed between one of those versions and OL 2003, if you like.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
9/23/2005 1:52:43 PM
Thanks Milly and Brian.  Let me rewrite the question in other words,
just to make sure that you know I did NOT misunderstand something.  It
was my bad to use "account" in the first post, I was actually referring
to "ADUC accout", not "Outlook Account".  OK here it is:

I have mailbox of user A opened through Exchange as my major mailbox in
Outlook, and having mailbox of user B as additional.  I understant that
when deleting some email under Inbox of B by hitting the delete key,
the message will go to the [Deleted Items] of A because that's where
the delivery location is.  Please trust me, I knew this already.

However there is a work around in Outlook 2000, I was able to
drag-n-drop messages from Inbox of B directly into its own [Delete
Items] from the folder list, and the messages staty there.

When I do the same thing in Outlook 2003, after releasing the mouse,
the emails got deleted from Inbox but did not show up in [Delete Items]
folder of B, which is the destination of my drag-n-drop action.
Instead, they always got moved to the [Delete Items] folder of A.

The reason of keeping deleted item from mailbox B inside its own
[Deleted Items] folder is because we have 3~4 users  using mailbox of
user A and I do not want to mess up its [Deleted Items] by emails that
I delete from my personal mailbox.  If you ask me why don't I reverse
the role of these two mailboxes in my Outlook and the problem will be
gone?  Well, I could not open B as first account because I need to use
a lot of features / settings / views associated with A, so A has to be
the major one and B as additional.

I hope this post is clearer than the first one.

0
achen2002 (49)
9/23/2005 5:19:41 PM
achen <achen2002@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have mailbox of user A opened through Exchange as my major mailbox
> in Outlook, and having mailbox of user B as additional.  I understant
> that when deleting some email under Inbox of B by hitting the delete
> key, the message will go to the [Deleted Items] of A because that's
> where the delivery location is.  Please trust me, I knew this already.
>
> However there is a work around in Outlook 2000, I was able to
> drag-n-drop messages from Inbox of B directly into its own [Delete
> Items] from the folder list, and the messages staty there.
>
> When I do the same thing in Outlook 2003, after releasing the mouse,
> the emails got deleted from Inbox but did not show up in [Delete
> Items] folder of B, which is the destination of my drag-n-drop action.
> Instead, they always got moved to the [Delete Items] folder of A.

In Outlook 2003, a deleted item will always get placed in the Deleted Items
folder of its own message store; at least all the testing I did indicates
that.  Deleet an item from message store A and you'll find it in message
store A's Delete Items folder.  Dragging and dropping to a Deleted Items
folder of a message store (ANY message store) is the equivalent of selecting
the item and clicking or pressing Delete, which will place it in its own
store's Deleted Items folder.  If you want to place a copy in another
Deleted Items folder, right-click and drag and choose Copy.  Choosing Move
from this menu is equivalent to a delete and it will be back in its own
Deleted Items folder.  That's the way it works for me.
--
Brian Tillman
--

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

SRS Invoice Report
Hi all, Please help me i would like to pull a field Vat Number field from the Account record for the invoice. It doesnt pull through when i run a report, however if i put it in the contact record it is pulled. What am i doing wrong, here is my code. SELECT TOP (1) FilteredInvoice.name, FilteredInvoice.statecodename, FilteredInvoice.totalamount, FilteredInvoice.customeridname, FilteredInvoice.invoiceid, FilteredInvoice.shipto_city, FilteredInvoice.shipto_country, FilteredInvoice.shipto_fax, FilteredInvoice.shipto_freighttermscode, Filt...

multiple email addressess ?
how can we store multiple email addresses for one contact. i only see option for one add..? Hi, There are three email attributes in contact entity. emailaddress1 is by default added on form. If you want to also want to add other two than open customization form of contacts and add fields named emailaddress2 and emailaddress3. You can add more custome email fields also. You may contact me directly at my email address if you need any help on this. -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post was helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan Email for direct contact: imumar at gma...

Print Preview Multiple Paints
I am having problems with my standard Document/View application with Print Preview. If I choose only to have one page displayed, it works fine. If I choose 2 pages to be displayed side by side, my OnPrint() function gets called over and over as follows: OnPrint (pInfo->m_nCurPage = = 1) OnPrint (pInfo->m_nCurPage = = 2) OnPrint (pInfo->m_nCurPage = = 1) OnPrint (pInfo->m_nCurPage = = 2) OnPrint (pInfo->m_nCurPage = = 1) OnPrint (pInfo->m_nCurPage = = 2) Again and again, up to 11 times. My printing code isn't (yet) the fastest on the planet so this takes agessssss. I...

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Crash on 'Send"

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2