Hello,

The file *.MSG is a message file.  This can be viewed by any editor, like
Notepad.  However, when there's an attachment to it, we see garbage.

Is there a way to open the attachments present inside the *.MSG files ?

Thank you

0
salimwng (3)

Yes, by opening it with Outlook.

--
Roady [MVP]
www.sparnaaij.net

Tips of the month:
-Create your own fully customized Toolbar
-Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003
Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your
mailbox!
www.sparnaaij.net

(I changed my reply address; remove all CAPS and _underscores_ from the
address when mailing)
-----
"Salim" <salimwng@bow.intnet.mu> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> The file *.MSG is a message file.  This can be viewed by any editor, like
> Notepad.  However, when there's an attachment to it, we see garbage.
>
> Is there a way to open the attachments present inside the *.MSG files ?
>
> Thank you

0
Roady
2/21/2004 8:07:42 PM
Thanks for replying Roady.  But unfortunately it does not.  Though i have
Outlook as my default emailer, i constant get the following error message;

" Can't open file : C:\Message_Sent\0000000459.MSG. The file may not exisit,
you may not have the permission to open it, or it may be open in another
program.  Right Click the folder that contains the file, and click
Properties to check your permissions for the folder"

I did everything about permissions, i put Full Control to the folder and to
it's contents.  But the problem remain same.

Any idea ?

Thanks again.

message news:exwK9aL%23DHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Yes, by opening it with Outlook.
>
> --
> Roady [MVP]
> www.sparnaaij.net
> Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News
> Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more...
>
> Tips of the month:
> -Create your own fully customized Toolbar
> -Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003
> Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your
> mailbox!
> www.sparnaaij.net
>
> (I changed my reply address; remove all CAPS and _underscores_ from the
> address when mailing)
> -----
> "Salim" <salimwng@bow.intnet.mu> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > The file *.MSG is a message file.  This can be viewed by any editor,
like
> > Notepad.  However, when there's an attachment to it, we see garbage.
> >
> > Is there a way to open the attachments present inside the *.MSG files ?
> >
> > Thank you

0
salimwng (3)
2/21/2004 8:33:03 PM
msg-files are not limited to Outlook. I believe AOL also uses this extension
and some other programs. Outlook msg-files aren't plain text files either
and are hard to read when opened in Notepad.

For a list of programs that support msg-files see;
http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=msg

--

> Thanks for replying Roady.  But unfortunately it does not.  Though i have
> Outlook as my default emailer, i constant get the following error message;
>
> " Can't open file : C:\Message_Sent\0000000459.MSG. The file may not
exisit,
> you may not have the permission to open it, or it may be open in another
> program.  Right Click the folder that contains the file, and click
> Properties to check your permissions for the folder"
>
> I did everything about permissions, i put Full Control to the folder and
> it's contents.  But the problem remain same.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
in
> message news:exwK9aL%23DHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Yes, by opening it with Outlook.
> >
> > --
> > Roady [MVP]
> > www.sparnaaij.net
> > Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News
> > Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more...
> >
> > Tips of the month:
> > -Create your own fully customized Toolbar
> > -Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003
> > Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your
> > mailbox!
> > www.sparnaaij.net
> >
> > (I changed my reply address; remove all CAPS and _underscores_ from the
> > address when mailing)
> > -----
> > "Salim" <salimwng@bow.intnet.mu> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > The file *.MSG is a message file.  This can be viewed by any editor,
> like
> > > Notepad.  However, when there's an attachment to it, we see garbage.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to open the attachments present inside the *.MSG files
?

> > > Thank you

0
Roady
2/21/2004 10:38:33 PM
I had a look at the site you mentioned below.  It's helpful indeed.

However it does not mention anywhere, neither the link given to each type of
MSG source, how to open them.  Though on my side i am sure at 100% that all
the MSG are from Outlook 2000 Premium.

Last, the *.MSG which are big in size, they obviously contain an attachment.
When i open them through notepad, i can still see the headers clearly ( i.e.
Mail sent from whom, addressed to whom, bla bla bla.  The attachment is
garbled.  It displays a block of garbled characters, which is normally the
attachment.

I have been trying to search for third party software/utlities, but none of
them do the job.  But, i came across a bbs program ( done around year
992  - run under DOS ).  This one is a little bit more user freindly, but
attachment .... NONE.  It appears garbled, same as notepad.

I can't get the point at all..... why outlook can't open them ? The origin
though is from Outlook !

I will keep searching.  If you have any new development on your side, please
do advise.

Thanks for the help Roady,
Salim

message news:%23Wp0QvM%23DHA.2808@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> msg-files are not limited to Outlook. I believe AOL also uses this
extension
> and some other programs. Outlook msg-files aren't plain text files either
> and are hard to read when opened in Notepad.
>
> For a list of programs that support msg-files see;
> http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=msg
>
> --
> Roady [MVP]
> www.sparnaaij.net
> Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News
> Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more...
>
> Tips of the month:
> -Create your own fully customized Toolbar
> -Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003
> Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your
> mailbox!
> www.sparnaaij.net
>
> (I changed my reply address; remove all CAPS and _underscores_ from the
> address when mailing)
> -----
> "Salim" <salimwng@bow.intnet.mu> wrote in message
> > Thanks for replying Roady.  But unfortunately it does not.  Though i
have
> > Outlook as my default emailer, i constant get the following error
message;

> > " Can't open file : C:\Message_Sent\0000000459.MSG. The file may not
> exisit,
> > you may not have the permission to open it, or it may be open in another
> > program.  Right Click the folder that contains the file, and click
> > Properties to check your permissions for the folder"
> >
> > I did everything about permissions, i put Full Control to the folder and
> > it's contents.  But the problem remain same.
> >
> > Any idea ?
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
> in
> > message news:exwK9aL%23DHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > Yes, by opening it with Outlook.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Roady [MVP]
> > > www.sparnaaij.net
> > > Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News
> > > Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more...
> > >
> > > Tips of the month:
> > > -Create your own fully customized Toolbar
> > > -Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003
> > > Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your
> > > mailbox!
> > > www.sparnaaij.net
> > >
> > > (I changed my reply address; remove all CAPS and _underscores_ from
the
> > > address when mailing)
> > > -----
> > > "Salim" <salimwng@bow.intnet.mu> wrote in message

> > like

> ?

0
salimwng (3)

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

CSV File Problem

Freeze Excel Spreadsheet till template open first then spreadsheet
Hi, When I export the data from Access 2002 to excel spreadsheet after select excel templates. I couldn't open the spreadsheet until i open the template and then closed the template. I open the spreadsheet where i get the data from Access 2002. It works. Here is the area that I have trouble with. 'Hide warnings on the spreadsheet ExcellApplication.DisplayAlerts = False 'Save the workbook ExcellApplication.ActiveWorkbook.Save 'Turn spreadsheet warnings back on ExcellApplication.DisplayAlerts = True 'Make it visible ExcellApplication.V...

CFile (delete file)

Attachments in Outlook 98
Hi there, my Organisation are using Exchange 5.5 SP4 and the client is Outlook 98. A mail is sent from an external source into our Organisation to 10 people. The mail has an XLS attached. For some reason 9 of the recipients get the attachment but the last one has no attachment and no reference to it in the mail she receives. I've checked all the Outlook settings I can think of, but am puzzled as to why this happens - checking the imc data from our Exchange I see that the correct RFC headers are present and that the user has the same reference as all the others in the header. Anyone any ide...

import a 123 file

opening .pst archives

Public Folder link to Excel File

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

open two different Access reports

Renaming Partial File Names

opening a .docx with word 2004

printing imported gif files in Excel

unknown .edb file

attachment previewers not installed?

Effectively stoping open relay.
I have a client who started using exchange 2003 few days back. This client is having more than 12 subnets starting from 172.27.50.0, 172.16.0.0 to 172.27.0.0 and 10.172.172.0 & 10.172.173.0 subnets in different location in town which are conneted by DSL. This users are connecting to the Exchange server 172.16.5.25. Most of these users are POP3 users. I have 2 SMTP Virtual Server running. Default SMTP Virtual server 172.16.5.25 and the second for Externel. In the Mail connector I have added only the external as the local bridgehead server. In the relay properties of the internal I...