old backup

I use outlook 2003. I was looking for some old mails that should be hiding
somewhere in an old .pst bakup. (Format presumably 97 or 2000). I hear that
importing that format into my present Outlook should give trouble, is that
correct? If so, is there a way to look at these old pst files and mails
other than finding a computer with an old version of Outlook?
jim

0
3975jim (17)

jim3975 <3975jim@planet.nl> wrote:

> I use outlook 2003. I was looking for some old mails that should be
> hiding somewhere in an old .pst bakup. (Format presumably 97 or
> 2000). I hear that importing that format into my present Outlook
> should give trouble, is that correct? If so, is there a way to look
> at these old pst files and mails other than finding a computer with
> an old version of Outlook?

Outlook 2003 has no trouble accessing an older format PST.  Click
File>Open>Outlook Data File, browse to the old PST, select it, and click OK.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/22/2007 3:32:19 PM
>> I use outlook 2003. I was looking for some old mails that should be
>> hiding somewhere in an old .pst bakup. (Format presumably 97 or
>> 2000). I hear that importing that format into my present Outlook
>> should give trouble, is that correct? If so, is there a way to look
>> at these old pst files and mails other than finding a computer with
>> an old version of Outlook?
>
> Outlook 2003 has no trouble accessing an older format PST.  Click
> File>Open>Outlook Data File, browse to the old PST, select it, and click
> OK.

Thanks a lot.

0
3975jim (17)

Save a backup file
I have a file that I update each day and then it is updated by others. (Not a shared file) Everyday I open and run my code to pull in yesterdays updates. Before I pull in the updates I want to save a copy, "backup" in the same path on the server where the original file is located. I have tried various attempts which seem so simple but they are saving elsewhere...Can anyone direct me on how to write the piece to make sure the file saves where I want it to? Thanks -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com While the workbook you want backup is open and is the activ...

Why do old, unused values still show in my Pivot Page fields?
When I originally created a PivotTable based on an Access database, for one of the page fields I used a certain set of range values (i.e. 560-600, 600-650, etc.). We've decided the range values need to be different & I recreated & replaced the data in the Access DB with the new range values. But, my PivotTable still shows the old, unused values along with the new, correct ones. I don't want to recreate the PivotTable because I've created a large number of calculated fields. How do I get rid of the unwanted range values in that Page field? There are instructions ...

Backup #3
I'm running Money 2003 Deluxe. I just got a new PC with a CD/DVD Writer and wanted to change my backup option from Floppy Discs, which takes awhile and 3 Floppy's, to the CD Writer. It is not on the drop Down list as being available. Is there something I can do to allow me to backup to the CD Disc? Jerry In microsoft.public.money, Jerry wrote: >I'm running Money 2003 Deluxe. I just got a new PC with a >CD/DVD Writer and wanted to change my backup option from >Floppy Discs, which takes awhile and 3 Floppy's, to the >CD Writer. It is not on the drop Down lis...

Chinese Chars in Failed Backup
Getting whole bunch of the errors like the one below. Backup fails. Can't find the message so that i can delete it when i go to the folder of the user in the outlook. What other methods are available to me to get rid of those corrupted messages. For certain reasons we need to backup individual mailboxes and not just the store. I am aware that backing up the store will solve the problem. ============================================================================ === WARNING: "\\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\Joe Shmo. [jshmo]?Top of Information Store?Deleted Items?�?????????????...

retiring old server
Hello Our previous network amdin recently migrated our exchange server to new hardware. Both old and new servers are still in production. I have moved the remaining mailboxes fromt he old server to the new server. I am curious, besides just stopping exchange services, how I can verify that the old box is no longer needed? I think I will eventually have to remove exchange form the old server before retiring from Active Directory. Thanks for your assistance. Mark Clark "=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBDbGFyaw==?=" <MarkClark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:D148CBB2-658F-493E-9...

I can't Read Old Posts from Outlook Express
I am trying to get attached file from old post by Jeff, which was posted on 2/28/2006. The post was - Subject: Re: Report for Zero Item Movement - What *hasn't* sold 2/28/2006 11:52 AM PS But my outlook express just shows a little more than 2000 posts that's upto Oct. 2006. Is there any way to read old posts ? -- Many Thanks This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_01EF_01C85DF9.46B16590 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_01F0_01C85DF9.46B16590" ------=_NextPart_001_01F0_01C85DF9.46B16590 Content-Type: te...

old email addresses replaced by new will not allow owa access
Hello all, We have changed our email format from first initial last@XXX.com with firstname.lastname@XXX.com I went to remove the old email address for my account. once I did that I was not able to access OWA. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance. How do you log on to OWA? -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Rollin West" <Rollin West@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF891802-5928-4E91-9F64-1AC93EB6E45A@microsoft.com... > Hello all, > > We have changed our ema...

moving old purchase orders to history
I have a multitude of old purchase orders that were either never received or messed up in some form or fashion when we first installed GP. I was told that if I changed the POStatus to 5 in POP10100 and ran the PO utility they would all go away. Unfortunately, just the opposite has happened. Can someone tell the the correct status for the field in POP10100 and POP10110 to update to make them all go away? Basically we want to move all PO with a doc date prior to 1/1/2008 out of the active state. Thanks Jeff, Your issue is not uncommon, but unfortunately the steps you executed were n...

Backup Delema
Here is the situation. I have two Windows 2003 Exchange servers. One is a front end server in the DMZ. All it does is act as a SMTP gateway. The other box sits in the LAN and has all the mailboxes. We are running Panda Admin Secure AntiVirus for Exchange (BIG MISTAKE...Panda is big in Spain) Anyway Panda has an annoying way of crashing the store during backup. So here is what I would like to do. I would like to stop the antivirus software for Exchange during backup, but I don�t want mail being delivered to the store either. What services could I stop on the gateway without bringing the box dow...

CD Backup of Money
I burned a backup of Money to a CD. When I go to access through the D drive, all I get is an error message stating it can't read anything on the D drive or the file is a read only file and will not allow access. What process do I need to use to burn a copy of my file to CD for safekeeping? Thanks. Money will not be able to deal with a .MNY file on a read-only device like a CD. Copy the file to hard disk and make sure it is not set to Read Only. You can backup your .MNY data file to CD using whatever burning tool you like. Nero, Easy Coaster Creator, WinXPs native CD burner, whate...

ASR Backup won't write to Floppy (Win XP Pro SP3)
When I do a backup using the Automate System Recovery Wizard, the backup saves all of the files on the external drive, but then fails when trying to write to the floppy drive. Any ideas? The floppy is FAT and the backup source and destination are NFTS. I do follow up and create the ASR files using the repair capability, but would like to not have to do that. Any help appreciated. ...

how do I stop Outlook from downloading old deleted email messages #2

Cannot backup db over lan... SQL error
I'm trying to backup an RMS database from the LAN. The db is located on the server, which is also a cash register. This can be backed up from the LAN to the server with no problem. However, when I try to back up either from the server itself or from another machine to a drive over the LAN, I get an error saying it cannot connect to the location. Here's the error message: "Cannot open backup device 'C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\wine.bck'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more dtails. BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally...

Can I have my old UI back?
Greets All, I've grown too tired of failing to discover the answer to my question by navigating the new 'discoverable' interface, so I've decided to pose the question here: In the new Office 2007 products, is there a way to choose the deprecated UI? I much prefer the paradigm I've been accustomed to for more than a decade over dramatically diminished productivity. Best Regards, Steven Nope, there's no "deprecated" option (and Microsoft has said emphatically many times that there never will be!) On the other hand, the ribbon is all con...

Add CD burner to backup money 2000
How can I add a cd burner to money backup instead of the floppy drive You can't except maybe via DirectCD or similar. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=51. But nothing prevents you from burning your Money data file to CD with your favorite burning software. "Tom G." <Tom G.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D9D0781-F339-422B-B863-0FDD41178979@microsoft.com... > How can I add a cd burner to money backup instead of the floppy drive ...

Restoring a backup
I had to uninstall Money 2004 & reinstall Money 2002. Now when I want to restore the 2004 backup, 2002 says I need to enter a password. I have never set up a password, ever, ever. Is there some default password on backups or what? HELP!!! This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C450CB.89432A40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable An unofficial FAQ for this newsgroup is available at = http://umpmfaq.info. The source FAQ was last updated Monday, May 31, 2004. You may save = yourself a...

Backup MX
I am almost completely moved onto Exchange from my old server. I have one last step. My old server was acting as a backup MX for my mailing list server. My mailing list server is running on a machine which prohibits it from listening to port 25. So, I have it setup to listen on port 2525. My old e-mail server would allow me to accept mail for this domain and forward it on to it via port 25. How can I do that with Exchange? I need Exchange to accept the mail destined for that domain, and then forward the mail to the mailing list server via port 2525. Thanks for any help you can offer me...

Rule/ policy to delete old email
Hi, i have Exhange 2000, and need to be able to delete email of a certain age. Is there a rule/policy or tool to do this. Thanks You can create a Mailbox Manager recipient policy to control this. In Exchange System Manager, Recipients, Recipient Policies, create a new policy of type Mailbox Manager. Review all the settings available to you. You might consider first running it in report mode so you get an idea of how it will act. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Podge" <Podge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3DDF76C6-5717-4C86-BA01-EF18BEA7...

Old messages appearing
In the past week, one user (no one else) has been receiving messages from 2 months ago. The same user reports recipients receiving messages now that were sent by her 2 months ago. This is happening at a rate of 1 or 2 per day. Each old message causes confusion because they are dated with the current date but the business is old. How can I troubleshoot this? -- Thanks. Sammie SBS 2003, OFFICE 2003, XP-PRO-SP3, IE8 Hello Sammie, Thanks for your post. Based on my experience and research, this issue occasionally occur when there are some mails stick in SMTP queues or ...

Help! Restore old delete email
Hi All, I would appreciate if someone could answer me immediately. Is it possible to restore deleted email from logs? And I don't want to do it from backup/veritas because it will interfere with the current database. Please advise and thanks in advance, rickyv RickyVene wrote: > Hi All, > > I would appreciate if someone could answer me immediately. > > Is it possible to restore deleted email from logs? Not without some very sophisticated tools (if such tools exist). > > And I don't want to do it from backup/veritas because it will interfere with > th...

MS Money 2004
After formatting and reinstalling MS money 2004 I tried to restore my backup file with no avail. It tells me that my password is incorrect. I am pretty sure it is not. Is there a fix for this: with or without the correct password? In microsoft.public.money, Cashin wrote: >After formatting and reinstalling MS money 2004 I tried to restore my backup >file with no avail. It tells me that my password is incorrect. I am pretty >sure it is not. Is there a fix for this: with or without the correct password? It may be that the files were from a later version of Money than the ver...

Opening docs from old versions
In attempting to open a doc created in an ancient version of Word (for Windows, not DOS), I get this message: "You are attempting to open a file that was created in an earlier version of Microsoft Office. This file type is blocked from opening by your registry policy setting." What is the registry setting I must change to override this and allow the opening? Thanks. -TedMi Hi Ted, I'm pretty sure this is the KB article you need: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810 There are both downloadable reg files and instructions for manual editing...

Moving Outlook Backup File Location
I had been backing up Outlook personal data files using the Outlook File Backup tool to a network HD (Z:) that I gave up on. I want to back up to another drive via USB. I can't get the Backup to not look for the Z: drive (that doesn't exist). I have re-downloaded and re-installed the Backup tool file from MS. I can specify the new drive when the Backup program opens, but it still looks for the non-existent Z: drive. Please advise! Thanks, -- Elliot See if the following applies to you; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/368 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coautho...

How do I Archieve old files in my database?
My database keeps crashing because there is so many old files in my database. How do I archieve these old files in order to lessen the chance of the database crashing? Also, after I archieve how do I retrieve them? Databases don't crash because of old files. In fact, what do you mean by "old files"? Are you talking about old records or are you importing documents into Access such as image files? Describe the crash. What happens? -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. "T.Harp" wrote: > My...

when sedning email msg in pub
Please help. We no longer have our old email account. When publisher is directed to send publication as message it automatically pulls up our old address and won't send the message through windows live mail. IT will send as attachment but not as message. I just need to know hwo to direct publisher to use my current email address as the sender. Publihser 2007 Have you looked at the Live Mail Help? There is a pictoral tutorial here http://www.huskeraccess.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51 "Robin1only" wrote: > Please help. We no longer have ou...