OL2000 .nick file and fresh install of OL2003

Have a user who's been running OL2000 under W98SE for the past few
years, who extensively uses the autocomplete function. I have brand new
pc's coming in that will all be loaded with XP and OL2003. Will do the
..pst file copy off the old system and then do the .pst copy onto the
new system, etc, etc.

Is it possible to utilize any of the cached infro from the .nick of the
OL2000 system on the OL2003 install? I know you move from a .nick
format to a .nk2 on the change, but not clear if you can save any of
the old info, or if the user will have to start on a fresh build of
cached nicknames - Much appreciated -

0
harett99 (3)

halster <harett99@aol.com> wrote:

> Have a user who's been running OL2000 under W98SE for the past few
> years, who extensively uses the autocomplete function.

Outlook 2000 doesn't have an autocompletion function.

> I have brand
> new pc's coming in that will all be loaded with XP and OL2003. Will
> do the .pst file copy off the old system and then do the .pst copy
> onto the new system, etc, etc.
>
> Is it possible to utilize any of the cached infro from the .nick of
> the OL2000 system on the OL2003 install?

I don't believe so.  The .nick file is for autoresolution retention in OL
2000, not autocompletion.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)
8/10/2006 2:15:22 PM
Brian Tillman wrote:

> I don't believe so.  The .nick file is for autoresolution retention in OL
> 2000, not autocompletion.
> --
duh...that's right. I just read that last night in an article one of
the MVP's posted.  Well, let me posit this in regards autoresolution
retention a user sees in OL2000, and then a move to OL2003.

What, if anything,  can you do with the .nick file when you move to
OL2003. My thinking is "nothing".. Would you agree, or would doing an
inline upgrade to OL2003 retain any autoresolution in the .nick file,
in its new form of an .nk2 file?   thanks

0
harett99 (3)
8/10/2006 10:55:55 PM
halster <harett99@aol.com> wrote:

> What, if anything,  can you do with the .nick file when you move to
> OL2003. My thinking is "nothing".

I don't know where autoresolution data is kept in OL 2003, but it's not in
the NICK file because OL 2003 doesn't use one.  I don't think it's kept in
the NK2 file either, because you can have autoresolution enabled while
autocompletion is disabled.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)
8/11/2006 12:54:06 PM
appreciate the info and time in responding Brian. I think I'm putting
this together now (in my mind) on how this will work when we upgrade.

They've never had the "shortcut" feature that autocomplete offers, as
they've been running a W98/OL2000 combination. Any autoresolution
selections they've grown accustomed to, will continue to be avail after
the OL2003 install, as this uses the contact list which will still be
there as it's part of the .pst data file which will be used for the
OL2003 install. (correct me if I'm wrong on this)

I also clipped this from a thread that Russ Valentine wrote a while
back on the autocomplete/autoresolution, and where this data comes
from. He's saying it all comes from the .nk2 file - Here's the link and
again, appreciate much your assistance -

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook.general/browse_thread/thread/9e1b8c534261814c/d25ee01d8ee22013?lnk=gst&q=autoresolution+autocompletion&rnum=10#d25ee01d8ee22013

****In Outlook 2002 and 2003, both autoresolution and autocompletion
features
function side by side. Curiously, both features store their data in the
same
file. The file now has an "NK2" extension. Because both features are
usually
in play, it is easy to get confused as to whether you are using
autocompletion or autoresolution. Just remember that autocompletion is
in
play as soon as you have typed 3 or more letters (or just 1 letter in
Outlook 2003) in the To: field and remains in play until you click out
of
the field or expressly invoke autoresolution by one of the methods
listed
above. As long as one of the names suggested by the autocompletion
feature
remains highlighted in the To: field dropdown, tabbing or clicking out
of
the field will select that name as the sending address. If
autocompletion
finds no matches in its cache (and therefore suggests no names) or if
your
typing restricts the list so that no entries remain, then
autocompletion is
no longer in play and autoresolution will take over once you tab or
click
out of the field. In Outlook 2003, you can also invoke autoresolution
at any
time by hitting "Escape" while typing in the To: field. Once
autocompletion
is no longer in play, then Outlook will try to resolve the name you
enter
against your various Contacts Folders, but not against the
autocompletion
cache.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook] *****

Brian Tillman wrote:
> halster <harett99@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > What, if anything,  can you do with the .nick file when you move to
> > OL2003. My thinking is "nothing".
>
> I don't know where autoresolution data is kept in OL 2003, but it's not in
> the NICK file because OL 2003 doesn't use one.  I don't think it's kept in
> the NK2 file either, because you can have autoresolution enabled while
> autocompletion is disabled.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
harett99 (3)

Writing the DBF file
Hello, All! I have a trouble with writing a database to a file. Here's my code: // Write the file structure SDBFHeader dbfHdr; dbfHdr.nVersion = 0x03; strcpy(dbfHdr.cLastUpdate, _T("3A6")); dbfHdr.nNumOfRecs = m_ctrlList.GetItemCount(); dbfHdr.nNumOfBytesInHdr = 32 + (3 * 32) + 1; dbfHdr.nNumOfBytesInRec = m_nFieldsLength[0] + m_nFieldsLength[1] + m_nFieldsLength[2] + 1; dbfHdr.nReserved1 = 0x00; dbfHdr.nIncmpltTrans = 0x00; dbfHdr.nEncrypt = 0x00; strcpy(dbfHdr.cMultiUser, _T("")); dbfHdr.nIndex = 0x00; dbfHdr.nLangID = 0x00; dbfHdr.nReserve...

Excel missing file
I am a registered user of Office XP Pro. Excel will not start. It is missing a file. In the process of moving, disks in storage. Where can I go online to download the missing file? And, how? ...

sqlcmd and Error(s) to a file
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162773.aspx sqlcmd File Names sqlcmd input files can be specified with the -i option or the :r command. Output files can be specified with the -o option or the :Error, :Out and :Perftrace commands. =========above lines are from the URL listed above============= Ok. If I set this command, I get the desired behavior: :Error "./myerrors.txt" (The desired behavior being, if no errors occur, then that file is created, however, it is empty, which is a great indicator for "nothing bad happened") ================= ...

CRM SF Outlook: Succesful Install, cannot access though
Can some one plz explain stepwise how to access CRM SFO. I cant locate any documentation to it. Thugh it has been succesfuly installed on my machine. Please guide me how to go around with it. Thanks g Best bet for free documentation is the Implementation Guide. Also this excellent site: http://www.mscrmexperts.com which happens to host a white paper you might be interested in on the SFO. info@sharedcal.co.uk www.sharedcal.co.uk Your fast route for team calendar view sharing in MSCRM 1.2! "Gautam Sachdev" <gautamsachdeva@gmail.com> wrote in message news:739B7E8A-828E-415...

Excel 2002: Can I save all files by just one click ?
Hi, I have 10 working files in an active window. There is no Save All button under the file menu. May I know if I can save all the files at one click without having to exit excel ? Thanks Low This delivers it in 2 clicks ... Hold down Shift key, click File > Close All Then click "Yes to All" in the ensuing prompt to save changes Success? Celebrate it, hit the YES below -- Max Singapore --- "Mr. Low" wrote: > I have 10 working files in an active window. > There is no Save All button under the file menu. > May I know if I c...

Installing Upgrade Product
I need to know what I need to do if I have a qualifying product for upgrade product that is a more current edition. This is what I mean. I have Windows XP which comes with Word 2002 and I have MS-Office 2000 Upgrade. When I try to use the Upgrade (MS-Office 2000), it does not allow me to install because it could not find a qualifying product. Help... See the KB Article at: Office 2000: Products That Qualify for the Microsoft Office Upgrade http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;210437 So if you don't have any of these, you don't fulfil the conditions. You can h...

Modern.ttf font file requested
Hi, I have bought a Dell computer almost 2 years ago and it already had the modern.ttf font file installed (no, I am not talking about the modern.fon file). I have first reinstalled Windows XP without any problems. When I have installed Windows XP for the second time and thereafter, the modern.ttf file was not installed or it was missing from the Windows XP installation disk. I have looked all over the internet for a possible download link, but have not had any luck. Is there a way that someone would send me the modern.ttf file or tell me of a place to download the file or exactly what sof...

Error with the Deployment Manager- access to the file \CRM\_xslfiles\1_Create.xsl refused
Dear all, Dear all, Configuration: CRM 1.2 on a SBS2003 with the rollup 1.2 I 'm unable to deploy my customization . Indeed, as usual i created some new customization fields through the deployment manager and i added them to the account form. No problem with this. But when i launched the Deployment Manager for publishing it failed after a while and it seems there is a problem to access to the following ..xsl file: ...\CRM\_xslfiles\1_Create.xsl. Before i didn't have this problem. Strange? In the event log i have the message: "Erreur ProcessImportWorkItem : Access to the file &...

Installing Business Portal
I'm trying to install business portal and I get this error: "sharepoint or office server must be set up with a configuration database before installing business portal" eventhough I already have sharepoint server running. Any ideas? BP requires Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0 to be inplace to work, You may have 2.0 installed Cheers -- Mark Christie Dynamics & CRM Deployer "DIEGOCRO" wrote: > I'm trying to install business portal and I get this error: > > "sharepoint or office server must be set up with a configuration database > befo...

Installation of LCS 2005 SP1 in a 64 bits server running OS 2003 R
Two situations: First: With .NET Framework 2.0 & 3.0 install, the LCS installation does not report any errors, but the LCS console is blank. The workaround stated in kb926921 does not work in this case. Also, the live communications tab for the user configuration does not show up either. The LCS start after a reboot but still the same condition and I'm not able to configure the service. Second: Without .NET Framework installed got the following message and the installation failed: Product: MSFT Office Live Communications Server 2005 - - Error 1935. An error occurred during the ...

merging files #2
Hi My wife has a number of separate publisher files that she needs to combine into a single file. There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do this.. I have looked at the "insert" menu and it looks like you can insert a blank page but not an existing fileā€¦ How do I combine multiple publisher files into one document? Thanks Michael mlsred <mlsred@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How do I combine multiple publisher files into one document? Copy and Paste. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:20:03 +0000,...

Backing Up Outlook Files #2
Hi I would like to know how I could back up my Outlook files and folders, so that I can trnsfer them to another computer. Please assist!!! http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm is a good place to read about this. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. "Muhammad Yusuf" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:045601c3b457$0a972d60$a101280a@phx.gbl... | Hi I would like to know how I could back up my Outlook | files and folders, so that I can trnsfer them to another | computer. | | Please assi...

Can't open Excel files
I've never had this problem until now. When I try to open either the Excel application or an excel file on my desktop, a window pops up trying to install Windows XP Professional w/Front Page and the application nor the files will open. I have XP home edition. I can open PPt and Word documents just fine. What's going on?? Thanks, Patsy ...

Publisher files saved to a server 2003 open slowly if at all
I have xp computers running office 2007 all clients save files to a server 2003 equiped dell sc4400 server. When office 2003 was opertaing all clients opened fast from the server. With Office 2007 installed all server files open very slowly. I do not have Office 2007 installed on my server. Could this be the problem? All clients run slowly since the change to office 07 I cannot find anything I should have done to inform my server of the change to Office 07. Please Help. ...

unable to open excel file which contains macro
i am unable to open an excel file which contains macro on my pc. my colleagues are able to open the same file on their pcs. adjusted security settings but doesn't work. pls help What happens exactly when you try to open the file? Any message, etc.? What Excel version? (Posters should _always_ mention this). Close Excel and restart it. Then confirm that Tools, Macro, Security has you at Low or Medium. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Prblm: existing users didn't get mailboxes after Exch 2003 install?
Dear subscribers. I've just recently installed Exchange Server 2003 on one of my customer's servers. This Exchange Server installation was the first Exchange installation in their organization, i.e. they used a simple POP/SMTP mail system earlier. The strange thing is that it seems like none of the accounts that existed in the domain by the time of the installation was equipped with an Exchange mailbox, except the Administrator account on the server which was used for the Exchange installation. I.e. the Exchange tabs are only visible for the admin user, not for anyone else. Al...

delete info from source file w/out changing the destination file
Hello I have two work sheet linked together for patient tracking files. All the information from the open source file is automatically updated in the Closed file. I want to be able to constantly update the closed file with out keeping more then 30 rows in the open file. Therefore, Once the patient tracking is completed, I should be able to delete the information form the source file with out removing it from the destination file. I am also having difficulty in moving the data down once I want to add another patient into the open file. e.g. row one was Tricia - info completed - delete Tr...

.pst files #9
Iam running XP and had computer problems. I knew the system was dying so I stored my saved email messages on portable storage. I now have the new system up and running and am unable to import my .pst files. I have put them on the hard drive. Can anyone help me? Thank you in Advance. mpw taywyatt@mindspring.com <taywyatt@mindspring.com> wrote: > I now have > the new system up and running and am unable to import my .pst files. > I have put them on the hard drive. Define "unable". Do you get error messages? What do those erros say? Did you remove the read-only ...

Changing File-Copy-behavior of ActiveSync
Hello, When copying a file to our devices via ActiveSync, they are always copied to the temp-directory first, and then to their destination. This is a problem in our case, as we have a large enough flash based storage, but the temp directory is a ramdisk with a limited size. By now, I would be ready to accept the fact that this behavior can't be changed, as I did not find anything anywhere. However, on another device with a slightly different setup (but the same platform), this does not happen - the file is copied directly to the destination. I have already tried comparing reg...

Attempting to Send Too Large a File
My brother has attempted to send a file with 25 pictures attached (a proud new grandparent). Of course, Outlook Express wouldn't let him, but now, the computer freezes up whenever he tries to delete the massive message from the outbox folder. I had him uncheck the "send/receive at startup" , but I am otherwise at a loss of what to suggest. Could he delete the outbox folder and then recreate it? Other ideas? I am having the same issue, were you able to resolve the issue? >-----Original Message----- >My brother has attempted to send a file with 25 pictures ...

Error message when importing/inserting images from file
I have Publisher 2000 Small Business edition and for some reason whenever I try inserting an image from a file it says that the graphic file cannot be converted and that I should hit F1 for help or reinstall office to add the converters... i have tried this and it does not work Added information: The error also say the picture format was not recognized or there was an error loading the graphic converter. i've tried inserting bitmap, jpeg, gif and it still says the same thing Might be your graphic filters. Do you have problems inserting from the Clip Gallery? Re-installing doesn...

Creating a COM object out of TLB file within an MFC Extension DLL
Hi, I am trying to create a global(!) com object (from an Automation Server) using it's olb (type library) file only. My project is an MFC extension DLL (!). I tried many ways but the DLL crashed giving me these kind of errors: "First-chance exception in SUA_Test.exe (KERNEL32.DLL): 0xE06D7363: Microsoft C++ Exception." I am trying to create a WRQ Reflection object, but I guess the problem is conceptual. Here is my code fragment (look for the "crash" comment): **************************************************** #include "stdafx.h" #include <afxd...

Installation Documentation
I am looking for some documentation on installing the Outlook addin in a Citrix enviroment. I cannot find anything anywhere about this. -- Not valid with any other offer. ...

Money files to Excel
I'm set up with Windows XP Pro, SP3 and Office Pro 2007. I have kept my accounting/investment information in MS Money for several years. My MS Money version is 17.0.120.1415 and the indicated expiration is 9/16/2010. I would like to export my MS Money information into an Excel 2007 file if this is possible, just in case I can not make it through the tangles and get all my accounting information/history transferred to Quicken, when it gets the transfer program worked out. Can someone tell me how to export my MS Money information into Excel spread sheets? Will the Accounting Express 2007 ...

Configuring OL2003 for Second User of Laptop
I have a laptop running Office 2003 on a WIN XP Pro platform. My Office/OL2003 runs fine with my administrator account. I want to lend my laptop to a co-worker so that she can use (primarily) OL. I tried to create a separate user with her own log in, but when she signs in with that log-in, OL indicates that it needs to be re-installed and fails to do so when I insert the first disk of Office 2003 (it asks for some CAB files). So I think I will just let her use my own log-in, so that she does not have to go through the fuss of re-installing Office. What is the best way to create a sepa...