OL 2007 leave messages on server: all mail each retrieval

Monday

2 computers in an office: Vista business, with OL 2007, all updates

Both computers access the same mail box on the smtp server.

Both computers are set to "Leave Messages on Server"

One is the "master" in that it is also set to delete after 5 days, and when
deleted

The "slave" machine gets ALL email at each retrieval.

I have deleted all messages from server,...

And so on.

Suggestions?

JFS1 (3)

They each have their own pst file, correct?
How frequently does each one check for new mail? If under 5 min, set it to
10 and see if it helps.
Do you have an antivirus scanner scanning your email? If so, disable it.

--

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

"J" <JFS@Lansing.com> wrote in message
> Monday
>
> 2 computers in an office: Vista business, with OL 2007, all updates
>
> Both computers access the same mail box on the smtp server.
>
> Both computers are set to "Leave Messages on Server"
>
> One is the "master" in that it is also set to delete after 5 days, and
> when deleted
>
> The "slave" machine gets ALL email at each retrieval.
>
> I have deleted all messages from server,...
>
> And so on.
>
> Suggestions?

outlookmvp (5838)
10/5/2009 4:34:00 PM
thank you for you response.

Separate PST files.

None of the computers in the office is set to auto-retrieve.

Only this one computer gets duplicates.

ESET is the AV for all comps.

And: another account is accessed by these 2 computers, and an XP machine.

The same problem computer also gets all the mail each time from this
account.

The other 2 computers do not have this symptom.

> They each have their own pst file, correct?
> How frequently does each one check for new mail? If under 5 min, set it to
> 10 and see if it helps.
> Do you have an antivirus scanner scanning your email? If so, disable it.
>
> --
>
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
> http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
>
> "J" <JFS@Lansing.com> wrote in message
>> Monday
>>
>> 2 computers in an office: Vista business, with OL 2007, all updates
>>
>> Both computers access the same mail box on the smtp server.
>>
>> Both computers are set to "Leave Messages on Server"
>>
>> One is the "master" in that it is also set to delete after 5 days, and
>> when deleted
>>
>> The "slave" machine gets ALL email at each retrieval.
>>
>> I have deleted all messages from server,...
>>
>> And so on.
>>
>> Suggestions?

JFS1 (3)
10/5/2009 5:05:21 PM
J wrote:

> 2 computers in an office: Vista business, with OL 2007, all updates
>
> Both computers access the same mail box on the smtp server. Both
> computers are set to "Leave Messages on Server" One is the "master"
> in that it is also set to delete after 5 days, and when  deleted The
> "slave" machine gets ALL email at each retrieval. I have deleted all
> messages from server,... And so on. Suggestions?

Suggestions for WHAT?  Just WHAT is your problem?  You described your
setup.  You never mentioned what behavior you expected or wanted.
0
V4521 (722)
10/5/2009 6:37:31 PM
Um, he expects outlook to only download new mail, not ALL the mail.

--

> J wrote:
>
>> 2 computers in an office: Vista business, with OL 2007, all updates
>>
>> Both computers access the same mail box on the smtp server. Both
>> computers are set to "Leave Messages on Server" One is the "master"
>> in that it is also set to delete after 5 days, and when  deleted The
>> "slave" machine gets ALL email at each retrieval. I have deleted all
>> messages from server,... And so on. Suggestions?
>
> Suggestions for WHAT?  Just WHAT is your problem?  You described your
> setup.  You never mentioned what behavior you expected or wanted.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/5/2009 7:07:15 PM
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:

> Um, he expects outlook to only download new mail, not ALL the mail.

Perhaps but he didn't say that was a problem, just a condition.

Now I see why you mention lengthening the mail poll interval.  If a
current mail poll gets stepped on by a subsequent mail poll (i.e.,
Outlook is still retrieving messages when the next scheduled poll time
tells Outlook to start it all over again), its UID list might not get
updated.  As I recall, Outlook retrieves all new messages before it
deletes them and only after deleting them does it update its UID list to
record which messages it has previously retrieved.

If an item is really large and makes Outlook take too long to retrieve
it, that retrieval gets aborted so the UID list does get updated.  Then
in the next mail poll, and because those messages weren't recorded, they
all still look new.

This could also happen if one of the items in the mailbox is corrupted.
The mail server can't manage to deliver it and Outlook tries to retrieve
but keeps waiting and, boom, the next mail poll occurs and Outlook
starts all over again.  You have to use the webmail interface (few users
get a console mode login to their mail server) to delete or move out all
the items from the Inbox (if using POP).  Thereafter the mail server can
handle all the non-corrupted items okay.

So upping the mail poll interval to something non-abusive, like 10
minutes, or longer, might solve the problem.  It might take cleaning out
the Inbox using the webmail client to eliminate the problem.
0
V4521 (722)
10/6/2009 2:40:54 AM
>> Um, he expects outlook to only download new mail, not ALL the mail.
>
> Perhaps but he didn't say that was a problem, just a condition.

Duplicates may not be a problem for you, but to everyone else, they are a
problem, not a condition.

--

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/6/2009 3:02:18 AM
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:

>>> Um, he expects outlook to only download new mail, not ALL the mail.
>>
>> Perhaps but he didn't say that was a problem, just a condition.
>
> Duplicates may not be a problem for you, but to everyone else, they are a
> problem, not a condition.

But it is a separate e-mail client that will be maintaining its own UID
list.  So it WILL duplicate e-mails that were downloaded to another
e-mail client (when the "leave messages on server" option is enabled).
You obviously understood better what the OP wanted than I.
0
V4521 (722)
10/6/2009 4:29:47 AM
"J" <JFS@Lansing.com> wrote in message

> 2 computers in an office: Vista business, with OL 2007, all updates
> Both computers access the same mail box on the smtp server.
> Both computers are set to "Leave Messages on Server"
> One is the "master" in that it is also set to delete after 5 days, and when
> deleted
> The "slave" machine gets ALL email at each retrieval.

This can often be fixed with a new mail profile on the machine retrieving all
messages each time.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
10/6/2009 12:16:17 PM
Thank you all for your help.

I will recreate all the email profiles on the problem machine.

I prefer fixing stuff like this without resorting to destruction. More to
learn when solving the crime than just fixing the "problem," don't ya know.

Had a problem this week with a vista comp losing connection to a network
fax. Resolved the "problem" by removing all the fax/printer software and
reinstalling. But this process did not clarify why this happened. Hence, not
much learning.

And so on

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "J" <JFS@Lansing.com> wrote in message
>
>> 2 computers in an office: Vista business, with OL 2007, all updates
>> Both computers access the same mail box on the smtp server.
>> Both computers are set to "Leave Messages on Server"
>> One is the "master" in that it is also set to delete after 5 days, and
>> when deleted
>> The "slave" machine gets ALL email at each retrieval.
>
> This can often be fixed with a new mail profile on the machine retrieving
> all messages each time.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
JFS1 (3)
10/7/2009 1:41:52 PM

> I will recreate all the email profiles on the problem machine.

After creating the new profile, you will get one more complete download of all
the messages on the server and then it should remember after that.  Make sure
you configure the account(s) you add to the profile to leave messages on the
server, if that's what you need.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

create e-mail enabled contact by script
hy all im looking for a script or a tool that creates E-MAIL ENABLED contacts. a lot of scripts i found on the internet was able to create contacts, but they didn´t were e-mail enabled. I tried to modify some scripts that creates e-mail enabled user accounts, but it doesn´t work for contacts, because user accounts get their e-mail functionality by creating a mailbox object. This can´t be used for contacts because contacts don´t have a mailbox object. Does someone has an idea? greetings jc "jc" <jc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >im lookin...

Recieve Mail Before Sending

Excel 2007

Mail lMerge

Grammar check not working

How to restore entire server?

Radar chart in Access 2007 report

Message comes as an attachment

How do I recover my messages in my mailbox?
When I use Outlook, my e-mails in the original e-mail address are automatically deleted. But they are still in outlook not in my mail address. I want them back. Because I can not see my mails when I sign in from other computers. It sucks. On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 20:24:01 -0700, whereisnara <whereisnara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Please ask your question in a forum for Outlook; this one is about the Microsoft Access database product. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >When I use Outlook, my e-mails in the original e-mail address are >automatically deleted. But th...

Exchange 2007 across account search

Can't view messages with Autopreview
My current view is set to preview all items, however, my mail is not displayed in autopreview ...

Exchange Message Archive/Availability
I have Exchange 5.5 currently. I've posted a few messages this morning on store limits. Thanks for the replies! This quetion is a geared a bit differently. Our users receive a lot of email that they want to retain, but business-wise it does not belong in their mailbox. Meaning, its an email that other people in the organization should have access to. A quick example of this would be a customer service rep receiving an email PO. This may be an attachment or it may be just in the body of the email. Currently, this rep creates a folder in their mailbox called customer A and retains the email...

Recording Macro Error Message
While recording the macro, I access the cell I need the formula in and write the formula. After writing the formula and hitting ENTER, I receive a microsoft GUI with "Unable To Record", and ackknowledge the GUI by hitting OK. The forluma is written to the cell - all even has the desired result/calculation. When I access the code, the navigation within the worksheet is listed in the code, but the furmula is not listed. I tried exiting the file and trying a second time, yet the same results. How do I "reset" the macro recorder to again begin to record all as...

Server-Requested Client Action MoveCopy, Unable to create dest msg.
Help. This error message displays when my user opens Outlook 2002. The only fix I can find is to update my exchange server.. which is already up to date. Any suggestions? ...