Office 2k3 Beta tester woes. Cant import .pst back into xp

Hello,

I am sure that there has to be a solution to this
problem. I know that MS would not leave it's beta testers
without a way to revert back to their old office. I have
attempted to import my Outlook 2003 Beta .pst file into
my Outlook XP and I get an error stating that it is not
compatible. Please tell me that there is a way for me to
retrieve all of my old emails. I saved the pst file, and
I removed Office 2003 as per the terms of the beta
license and saved a copy of my .pst file. I the re-
installed Office XP.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Mike
0
skipper2 (2)

If you created the PST with Outlook 2003, you created a format that was
incompatible with Outlook 2002 or 2000. You would need to reinstall Outlook
2003 (since the beta has expired I'd suggest getting a trial version). Then
create a new PST file and make sure it's the 97-2002 compatible format PST
file. Then you can export your items from the new format to the old format
PST and open the old format PST in the previous version of Outlook.

--
Patricia Cardoza
Outlook MVP

Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003

"Mike" <skipper2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am sure that there has to be a solution to this
> problem. I know that MS would not leave it's beta testers
> without a way to revert back to their old office. I have
> attempted to import my Outlook 2003 Beta .pst file into
> my Outlook XP and I get an error stating that it is not
> compatible. Please tell me that there is a way for me to
> retrieve all of my old emails. I saved the pst file, and
> I removed Office 2003 as per the terms of the beta
> license and saved a copy of my .pst file. I the re-
> installed Office XP.
>
> Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
>
> Mike

0
patriciac (522)
12/1/2003 2:00:16 AM
Hello Patricia,

Thank you for the information. What would I have to do?
Export the pst file as a 2002 version? How could I get
the trial version to do this? I may be being a little
rash here, but I would think that is MS had people beta
testing their product and asking us to send in
evaluations (which I did) they should have a way for us
to revert back to our old version, which by the way was
what was stated we would be able to do in the beta
license. I have beta tested many products for MS because
I really do like the products that they distribute. I
have never had a problem like this before when I have
beta tested. Of course I could install a crack to make
the whole office suite usable, but I do not believe in
doing that because I am a business owner myself. But I do
need to recover my pst file and the emails within, since
like I said, I am a business owner and there are
important files in there. Could you point me in the right
direction to saving the file in an XP compatible format
as well as getting the trial version so I can export it?
I do need this information asap (monday am EST. Thank
you. Mike

0
anonymous (74722)
12/1/2003 2:24:50 AM
It was clearly documented that the new Unicode PST format was not compatible
with previous versions. Unfortunately there's not much you can do other than
order the eval version. Once you  have that, you can easily create a new pst
file using the instructions in my previous reply. Just select the 97-2002
compatible format option and export your items into that format.

You can order the eval version from
http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/trial.mspx

If you have MSDN or TechNet you should have Office on CD. Other than that,
as it's still November 30th (as of 6:30 Pacific Time), you might be able to
reinstall the beta version long enough to create a new PST. I'm not sure if
the "expires on November 30th" means it will work today or not. You don't
have to activate it, using it just once to create a new PST should work just
fine if the date doesn't cause problems.

Sorry, I hope this helps.

--

"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Patricia,
>
> Thank you for the information. What would I have to do?
> Export the pst file as a 2002 version? How could I get
> the trial version to do this? I may be being a little
> rash here, but I would think that is MS had people beta
> testing their product and asking us to send in
> evaluations (which I did) they should have a way for us
> to revert back to our old version, which by the way was
> what was stated we would be able to do in the beta
> license. I have beta tested many products for MS because
> I really do like the products that they distribute. I
> have never had a problem like this before when I have
> beta tested. Of course I could install a crack to make
> the whole office suite usable, but I do not believe in
> doing that because I am a business owner myself. But I do
> need to recover my pst file and the emails within, since
> like I said, I am a business owner and there are
> important files in there. Could you point me in the right
> direction to saving the file in an XP compatible format
> as well as getting the trial version so I can export it?
> I do need this information asap (monday am EST. Thank
> you. Mike

0
patriciac (522)
12/1/2003 2:38:24 AM
Patricia,

Thank you for the information. I know that this is not
your fault and you did not cause this problem and you are
only trying to help.

My problem is with MS in this case. I am a business owner
and my wife is an attorney. There are a lot of emails in
our pst file for both of our careers. You said that this
was clearly documented that the new unicode was not
copmpatible. I have the complete Office 2k3 set that was
shipped to me. All 15 disks and the pamphlets that they
came in which is all that I received. Nowhere within this
doccumentation does it say that there would be
compatibility issues or that I would have problems
reverting back to the version that I paid almost $500.00
for.

The software has expired as of today and even after I re-
intalled it, the option to import/export is greyed out as
not an option.

I can not wait the 7-10 days that it would take to get a
disk. Is there not another way to do this. My wife is
furious since she has cases that are pending.

Mike

0
skipper2 (2)
12/1/2003 2:59:59 AM
Mike,

I realize you're frustrated. This is the major reason why you should NEVER
use beta software for production use.

The incompatibility is many places on the web, as well as in the help files.
I don't have my beta documentation here any more though. I realize that
doesn't help you now though.

You could go buy Outlook 2003 (standalone) from a computer store such as
Staples or Office Depot. At least that will only cost you $100. Short of
that, you're really out of luck there. I'm really sorry.

--

> Patricia,
>
> Thank you for the information. I know that this is not
> your fault and you did not cause this problem and you are
> only trying to help.
>
> My problem is with MS in this case. I am a business owner
> and my wife is an attorney. There are a lot of emails in
> our pst file for both of our careers. You said that this
> was clearly documented that the new unicode was not
> copmpatible. I have the complete Office 2k3 set that was
> shipped to me. All 15 disks and the pamphlets that they
> came in which is all that I received. Nowhere within this
> doccumentation does it say that there would be
> compatibility issues or that I would have problems
> reverting back to the version that I paid almost $500.00
> for.
>
> The software has expired as of today and even after I re-
> intalled it, the option to import/export is greyed out as
> not an option.
>
> I can not wait the 7-10 days that it would take to get a
> disk. Is there not another way to do this. My wife is
> furious since she has cases that are pending.
>
> Mike

0
patriciac (522)

8K row size error while importing customization
Hi, I am getting an error similar to one above while importing the customization for account and opportunity on CRM 3.0 with SQL Server 2005 as the database. I am using the import customization class provided in sample code for 3.0.5 sdk. I able to import the same customization on CRM 3.0 with SQL Server 2000 as the database. ...

Office application cannot start because Office is already in use
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have 2 laptops. I have 2 licenses for office '08 (purchased 2 copies). Unfortunately, whenever I'm running office on one mac, the other one shuts down office giving the error &quot;My Office application cannot start because Office is already in use&quot;. I didn't think I transposed the product keys, but maybe? <br><br>I've read some forums about deleting files containing the product keys, but have not been successful in getting them to run at the same time after re-inputing...

.pst too large can it effect server problems
As per my external IT Company, because my .pst file is 4gigs, it effects my server workability, i mean lately three days in a row our emails in the morning appear offline, when i check the server it says the hosting account is disabled (WAN miniport pptp). So i spoke with my external IT, he is blaming it on my .pst being large, i just do not understand how is it possible for .pst with 4gigs to create such a problem? Is it possible? Thanks If you are saying the pst is hosted on the server, and being accessed by a workstation, that type of installation is not supported by MS as it can l...

Money 2003 crashes after bank statement imported
Microsoft money crashes after I import a bank statement .qif file. If imports it and then prompts me to indicate which account it relates to and then crashes and generates an error message Exception Information Code 0xc0000005 Flags 0x00000000 Record x000000000000 Address 0x0000000010674a6e Money then restarts and the account list shows the number of entries unread but when I click on that account nothing has been imported. I have tried the file to repair the microsoft money file but the error is still occuring. Please help. Regards -- PK In microsoft.public.money, P K wrote: >...

openeing .pst files for outlook
I am trying to open a .pst file. It is my contacts from Outlook at work, and I sent it here to my house. When I get the prompt to "open file with..." outlook is not one of the options available. Can anyone tell me how to open this file and get them in my contacts here at home? Don't double click on the PST file. Save it to your hard drive and then open it within Outlook by using the File, Open, Outlook Data File. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza/ Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 Author, Absolute Beginner's Guide...

cannot open 4.10 mb publisher document in xp pro
I added two pages to a publisher document and now cannot open the document on my computer--memory? How do I fix this? Thanks for any help. Billph, Are you opening this file in the same version of Publisher and on the same machine? Are you getting an error message? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "billph" <billph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C548590D-493D-4AF2-8CA0-2814840E12F2@microsoft.com... >I added two pages to a publi...

Importing an Address Book
I know how to import an Address Book [this is from laptop to desktop XP 64 Pro with Outlook Express & IE 8] but am uncertain whether this will over-write or add to an existing Address Book Not worried by duplicates but don't wish to lose existing 'old' addresses with the 'new' addresses imported. Can someone advise, please? Searches only show import/export methodolgy, not result. Thanks for help, roj I have never lost any addresses, only added. Sometimes there were dupes. I know you said you know how to do it, but I'll include h...

Outlook 2010 beta 03-11-10
I have 5 accounts and each has its own Inbox, sent, deleted etc. How do I get all 5 lots of mail into one set of boxes? 4 accounts are IMAP and one is POP3. Also, how do I set Outlook 2010 beta to NOT load new incoming mail on startup? -- findon findon wrote: > I have 5 accounts and each has its own Inbox, sent, deleted etc. How do I get > all 5 lots of mail into one set of boxes? 4 accounts are IMAP and one is > POP3. > > Also, how do I set Outlook 2010 beta to NOT load new incoming mail on startup? This newsgroup discusses the released versions. ...

Problem Importing or Linking Excel Spread
I have a spreadsheet in excel that seems to be formatted like literally hundreds of spreadsheets I have imported. When I try to import or link this spreadsheet, I get an error telling me the wizard can't access the spreadsheet - make sure it exists or is in the proper format. It definitely exists. A free virtual pocket protector for the person with the best answer! -- Thanks Hi. > When I try to import or link this > spreadsheet, I get an error telling me the wizard can't access the > spreadsheet - make sure it exists or is in the proper format. It > definitely &...

Back up question
I am trying to back on back office and Looks like I am not doing right way. My pc where data sit name is REGISTERPC When I go to back office and try to back up and It asking me USENAME; REGIDTERPC/GUEST AND PASSWORD. I tried all the password didnt work. I tried SA password and My adminstrator password. the otherthing when I turn on guest account on register pc then I got massege Your local setting not allowing. My window furewall is off But antivirus is on . WHat I am doing wrong ? Gill, You can't use the RMS built-in backup routine to backup a database to a workstation'...

Publisher 97 problems on XP Home?
My Publisher 97 has problems running on XP Home, help? banpoz wrote: > My Publisher 97 has problems running on XP Home, help? ================================ All of our crystal balls are recalled for maintenance during the holidays so you'll have to provide some details. Pub97 should run on WinXP...maybe you would like to explain exactly what you are referring to? -- John Inzer If you have an anti-virus program, disable it before you install Publisher 97. PUB97: How to Obtain Publisher 97 Knowledge Base HTML Help File http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185798/en-us -- Mary ...

Media player will not play .wmv in XP Pro
I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3 and have windows media player 11 installed on my system. I am having trouble playing any vidoes with the .wmv file extension. upon trying to play one of these videos I window pops up says that windows media player has encountered a problem and needs to close, then media player shuts down. I've tried rolling back to media player 9 and 10; and tried reinstalling media player 11. I've even tried using Real player to play these files but still get the same result. I've concluded that it is most likely something with the operatin...

Windows XP, Excel 2000: ODBC driver for Visual FoxPro tables
Hi I have some made some Excel applications which are querying data from dbf-based 3rd-party program, using ODBC driver for Visual FoxPro tables(Data.GetExternalData....). Applications are made on Win98 computer, they are situated on shared network resource, and are accessed from different computers - until lately with Win98 as OS in general. There were no problems until we replaced some computers with new ones - with Windows XP installed. For first such computer I downloaded a driver from Microsoft (~ year ago), and it works. But meanwhile I had to replace a hard disk in my own computer, an...

I install XP in my VISTA OS using Virtual PC but get a black scree
Hello everybody out there, I don't know exactly where to ask this question, so I come here for help. HOPE that you will not mind. I install XP in my VISTA OS using Virtual PC. But I get a black screen on XP of Virtual PC. If I uninstall the Virtual PC additions, the problem disappear but XP run very.... slow. My partners didn't come across that problem in vista with the same vmc file. I was frustrated. If you know the reason, please tell me, your help would be greatly appreciated. Even guess are also welcome. Tks a lot. Richard nian -- Nothing impossible, Nothing sure &...

Importing Vendor Item
Is IV00103 the only table I need to update if I want to import Vendor's Item? What is CURRNIDX field for? It is not Currency Index but when I change the currency under Item Vendor Maintenance, this value changes too. TIA, Sugih Yes, IV00103 is the table you need. Manually update the table properly and then get the value out of the CURRNI NDX field. It is a pointer to a GL account associatdd with multi-currency. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.Ac...

move pst file ol2003
Hi, when i try to move my pst file to an other location eg. an other patition, outlook doesnt work correct. I can't send and recive emails and so on... Anybody knows how to move the pst file correctly? sebastian Moving the .pst file works fine here. what error messages are you getting? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, sebastian asked: | Hi, | | ...

Foreign languages in Office 2008 Home and Student
I can't get any information on which languages Office 2008 Home and Student Edition has proofing tools for. Office 2004 gave me the capability of spellchecking in several foreign languages -- which I need. I have worked with Office 2007 for Windows, and that doesn't seem to allow me to spellcheck in any language but English. The help menu doesn't tell me much, and the MS website makes it almost impossible to find this type of product information.<br> <br> Foreign language tools in the box are a deal-breaker for me and will determine whether I buy Office 2008 or not.<...

views on PPT 2010 beta
01) Fresh and smart looking slide transitions which can be minutely time conrolled 02) copy animations to other objects (great time saver for repeat animation actions) 03) NOT HAPPY WITH the fact there ARE NO NEW ANIMATIONS (NOT A SINGLE ONE ) AT ALL. When MS can add dyamic directX slide transitions i cnnot understand why a library of dynamic directX and other 3D exit and entry animations could not have been added. Those who are experimenting or playing arund with the beta please append and post other additions, omissions or modifcations here in preparation for office 2010! ...

Outlook 2k3 and Word other
Hi, Rolled out Ex2k3 with OL2k3, half the clients are running Office 97/2k/XP. So now some of the functionality is broken, as expected, but customer wants Word being used for emails in Outlook. Has anybody discovered a hack or anything to get this working - it's the only feature we require... Thanks Marek On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:53:33 +1200, "Marek" <nospam@spam.spam> wrote: > >Rolled out Ex2k3 with OL2k3, half the clients are running Office 97/2k/XP. >So now some of the functionality is broken, as expected, but customer wants >Word being used for emails in...

Hide worksheet when moving back to another sheet
Hello, I have a sheet called 'calculations' that I want normally to be hidden. However, there is a button on one of the sheet (called 'inputs') for the users who are interested in detail to unhide it and see it. Sub Reveal() With ThisWorkbook If Worksheets("Calculations").Visible = False Then Worksheets("Calculations").Visible = True Worksheets("Calculations").Activate End If End With End Sub I have managed to get this working by using this forum. Now, I would like to have a code that hides the sheet 'calculations' a...

Importing messages and duplicates
Hello all, I have a problem with duplicate email messages that are cluttering my outlook folders. This is because of numerous iports from differnet PCs. Is there a way to remove duplicates from folders? Azm ...

how do i import mails from mozilla thunderbird client to outlook?
Hi im new to this community.. i would like to ask many experienced members that .. im using Mozilla thunderbird as my default mail client.. initially for long time i was using MS outlook..even now i didnt abandone outlook and havin full office 2003 package but since thunderbird has RSS reader builtin ... i choosen that... the problem being that if attachment size is more than 150kb... thunderbird would not send mail to the receipient... i tryed many times but it would not deliver... but as u know outlook had no problem for the attachment size... since i was using thunderbird clien...

excel office home and student freezes all the time
I purchased office home and student 2007 several months ago. I have Vista on my computer. I had issues with Word, but was able to fix it. I have had no reason to use Exce, until now. When ever I open it, it constantly freezes up, with the little circle spinning. It says all the updates are on my computer. I have no idea how to fix this issue, and it is very frustrating, and time consuming trying to fix this issue. Thanks for you help. Steve ...

vista UAC manifest won't build on VS2005 in XP
OK. I've written a separate EXE for the license stuff in my application that requires elevated UAC inVista. I have added a manifest to this new code that is below this paragraph. Problem I have is that VS2005 in XP complains about the manifest with warning: manifest authoring warning 81010002: Unrecognized Element "requestedPrivileges" in namespace "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3" Web research seems to suggest that I should replace the version of MT.exe that I am running, but I have tried that and replaced with version 5.2.3790.2075, but problem still remains a...

Importing new email address in Windows Mail
I'm trying to find the correct settings so my new email server will work with Windows Mail. When I check for new mail, Windows connects with the Gmail server, but then times out. Can someone help me find the right settings so I will have email? When it 'times out', it should give you an error message. Right-click on your error message, copy, then paste it into a reply = here. We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message.=20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Scr...