Need to solve problem w/ RSS feeds

Hi --

I have a Windows XP computer running Outlook 2003 with an Exchange 2003
server in the background. Outlook is running RSS Popper to retrieve 15 RSS
feeds, each of which is saved in a separate folder in the user's Exchange
mail store.

Now I have a Windows Vista laptop running Outlook 2007 with that same
Exchange 2003 server in the background. Outlook here also (natively)
retrieves these 15 RSS feeds and saves them into the same folders in the
user's Exchange mailbox.

The problem I'm having is that neither RSS aggregator knows what the other
is doing. I wind up with tons of duplicate posts in these folders, depending
on which PC is active and is doing the updating.

I need to figure out how to get these two to coexist without producing a ton
of duplicate stuff. The Windows XP box is running IE7, although there are no
plans to upgrade Office on that PC.

If I can't get these two client-level aggregators to coexist nicely, I'm
willing to move the whole thing over to the Exchange server. If I can figure
out a way to have the Exchange server keep these RSS feeds updated and post
them to public folders, then I don't have to worry about the Outlooks doing
this and my problem would be solved (I hope).

Can anyone suggest a way to clean up this implementation? Is there an RSS
aggregator for Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 that would allow me to pass this
work onto the server?

Thanks,
CL

0
Charles

No, you cannot make these 2 aggregators aware of each other. Why not run RSS
Popper on both clients then?

Exchange 2003 doesn't hold RSS functionality natively. Nor does Exchange
2007. There are 3rd party tools to centrally manage RSS feeds though such as
Enterprise RSS from Newsgator.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"Charles Lavin" <x@x.x> wrote in message
> Hi --
>
> I have a Windows XP computer running Outlook 2003 with an Exchange 2003
> server in the background. Outlook is running RSS Popper to retrieve 15 RSS
> feeds, each of which is saved in a separate folder in the user's Exchange
> mail store.
>
> Now I have a Windows Vista laptop running Outlook 2007 with that same
> Exchange 2003 server in the background. Outlook here also (natively)
> retrieves these 15 RSS feeds and saves them into the same folders in the
> user's Exchange mailbox.
>
> The problem I'm having is that neither RSS aggregator knows what the other
> is doing. I wind up with tons of duplicate posts in these folders,
> depending on which PC is active and is doing the updating.
>
> I need to figure out how to get these two to coexist without producing a
> ton of duplicate stuff. The Windows XP box is running IE7, although there
> are no plans to upgrade Office on that PC.
>
> If I can't get these two client-level aggregators to coexist nicely, I'm
> willing to move the whole thing over to the Exchange server. If I can
> figure out a way to have the Exchange server keep these RSS feeds updated
> and post them to public folders, then I don't have to worry about the
> Outlooks doing this and my problem would be solved (I hope).
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to clean up this implementation? Is there an RSS
> aggregator for Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 that would allow me to pass this
> work onto the server?
>
> Thanks,
> CL

0
Roady
9/8/2009 5:37:13 PM
Hi --

1) I'm not sure RSS Popper will run on Outlook 2007.

2) RSS Popper keeps its status information locally on the PC. So I'd
probably have the same problem -- two RSS Popper runs on two separate PCs,
each not knowing what the other has done. And I've had RSS Popper lose track
of its feeds and wind up posting duplicates in the folders, so there doesn't
seem to be a way to stop the posting of duplicate entries ...

Thanks
CL

message news:uhVxRsKMKHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> No, you cannot make these 2 aggregators aware of each other. Why not run
> RSS Popper on both clients then?
>
> Exchange 2003 doesn't hold RSS functionality natively. Nor does Exchange
> 2007. There are 3rd party tools to centrally manage RSS feeds though such
> as Enterprise RSS from Newsgator.
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>
> -----
>
> "Charles Lavin" <x@x.x> wrote in message
>> Hi --
>>
>> I have a Windows XP computer running Outlook 2003 with an Exchange 2003
>> server in the background. Outlook is running RSS Popper to retrieve 15
>> RSS feeds, each of which is saved in a separate folder in the user's
>> Exchange mail store.
>>
>> Now I have a Windows Vista laptop running Outlook 2007 with that same
>> Exchange 2003 server in the background. Outlook here also (natively)
>> retrieves these 15 RSS feeds and saves them into the same folders in the
>> user's Exchange mailbox.
>>
>> The problem I'm having is that neither RSS aggregator knows what the
>> other is doing. I wind up with tons of duplicate posts in these folders,
>> depending on which PC is active and is doing the updating.
>>
>> I need to figure out how to get these two to coexist without producing a
>> ton of duplicate stuff. The Windows XP box is running IE7, although there
>> are no plans to upgrade Office on that PC.
>>
>> If I can't get these two client-level aggregators to coexist nicely, I'm
>> willing to move the whole thing over to the Exchange server. If I can
>> figure out a way to have the Exchange server keep these RSS feeds updated
>> and post them to public folders, then I don't have to worry about the
>> Outlooks doing this and my problem would be solved (I hope).
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a way to clean up this implementation? Is there an RSS
>> aggregator for Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 that would allow me to pass
>> this work onto the server?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> CL

0
Charles
9/8/2009 8:20:10 PM
On the laptop, I can see the messages that were posted by RSS Popper from
the Windows XP box because both Outlooks are opening up the same message
store. But if the Windows XP box is not on, then RSS Popper is not
retrieving new messages and the laptop is looking at old data. If the user
is, say, out of town for a few days, he'll have his laptop but his desktop
PC will be off for all that time. The laptop needs to be able to retrieve
these feeds.

Since the Windows XP box is running IE7, I tried to set up these feeds
through IE7's built-in RSS reader. I'd just have this person pick up the
feeds from IE instead of Outlook. But the experiment stopped abruptly when I
discovered that the minimum retrieval interval IE would allow me to set was
4 hours, which is way too long for these RSS feeds.

I found an article titled "Aggregating RSS feeds into a public folder via a
script" at
http://gsexdev.blogspot.com/2006/02/aggregating-rss-feeds-into-public.html
but I haven't had a chance to fully digest it. Is anyone familiar with this
article / script? Any thoughts?

Thanks
CL

> Why do you need it running on both? I run similar apps on the system I use
> most of the time and can read them from the other system. My only
> complaint is the junk filter on the other machine sometimes gets them. :(
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> "Charles Lavin" <x@x.x> wrote in message
>> Hi --
>>
>> 1) I'm not sure RSS Popper will run on Outlook 2007.
>>
>> 2) RSS Popper keeps its status information locally on the PC. So I'd
>> probably have the same problem -- two RSS Popper runs on two separate
>> PCs, each not knowing what the other has done. And I've had RSS Popper
>> lose track of its feeds and wind up posting duplicates in the folders, so
>> there doesn't seem to be a way to stop the posting of duplicate entries
>>
>> Thanks
>> CL
>>
>> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
>> in message news:uhVxRsKMKHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> No, you cannot make these 2 aggregators aware of each other. Why not run
>>> RSS Popper on both clients then?
>>>
>>> Exchange 2003 doesn't hold RSS functionality natively. Nor does Exchange
>>> 2007. There are 3rd party tools to centrally manage RSS feeds though
>>> such as Enterprise RSS from Newsgator.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>>> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>>> Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
>>>
>>> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>>> Real World Questions, Real World Answers
>>>
>>> -----
>>>
>>> "Charles Lavin" <x@x.x> wrote in message

0
Charles
9/9/2009 4:44:21 AM
I haven't used that script, I have used others and they worked ok but I
found it easier to leave outlook always running on a virtual machine.
Occasionally a windows update reboot throws a wrench into it, but overall,
it works well.

Its certainly worth testing, as long as you are the admin or can bribe the
admin. :)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

> On the laptop, I can see the messages that were posted by RSS Popper from
> the Windows XP box because both Outlooks are opening up the same message
> store. But if the Windows XP box is not on, then RSS Popper is not
> retrieving new messages and the laptop is looking at old data. If the user
> is, say, out of town for a few days, he'll have his laptop but his desktop
> PC will be off for all that time. The laptop needs to be able to retrieve
> these feeds.
>
> Since the Windows XP box is running IE7, I tried to set up these feeds
> through IE7's built-in RSS reader. I'd just have this person pick up the
> feeds from IE instead of Outlook. But the experiment stopped abruptly when
> I discovered that the minimum retrieval interval IE would allow me to set
> was 4 hours, which is way too long for these RSS feeds.
>
> I found an article titled "Aggregating RSS feeds into a public folder via
> a script" at
> http://gsexdev.blogspot.com/2006/02/aggregating-rss-feeds-into-public.html
> but I haven't had a chance to fully digest it. Is anyone familiar with
> this article / script? Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks
> CL
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Why do you need it running on both? I run similar apps on the system I
>> use most of the time and can read them from the other system. My only
>> complaint is the junk filter on the other machine sometimes gets them. :(
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

>> mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>
>> "Charles Lavin" <x@x.x> wrote in message
>>> Hi --
>>>
>>> 1) I'm not sure RSS Popper will run on Outlook 2007.
>>>
>>> 2) RSS Popper keeps its status information locally on the PC. So I'd
>>> probably have the same problem -- two RSS Popper runs on two separate
>>> PCs, each not knowing what the other has done. And I've had RSS Popper
>>> lose track of its feeds and wind up posting duplicates in the folders,
>>> so there doesn't seem to be a way to stop the posting of duplicate
>>> entries ...
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> CL
>>>
>>> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
>>> in message news:uhVxRsKMKHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Macro or Formula needed to search data in cells
Hi I am looking for a way to create a formula/macro to do the following: My worksheet setup: A1:A30000 C1:C5000 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 01 04 05 06 08 09 12 22 23 27 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 01 03 05 06 07 08 09 14 22 32 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 etc Each cell contains a 10 number sequence. The range A1:A30000 is my randomly generated sequence. And C1:5000 is my database of archived sequences. If I wish to check if the combination in cell A1 is anywhere in the range C1:5000. I use the formula. =IF(COU...

Need Money & am confused...
Hello! This is a great site - I am rather confused, though. I have been using Money forever (I hardly use the download/internet features so this removal of Money isn't too catastrophic to me). Fast forward, I had to reinstall and I no longer have the documentation....so, I went online and downloaded the Plus TRIAL version. Well, it has expired - kept trying to 'purchase' but that is not an option, as we all know. So, I tried to download 2007 - but it then said that I cannot go backwards - so, here I am - my .pst file is now Microsoft Money Plus - I am not able ...

TabCtrl need to get rid of OK, ESC events
hi, i'm working on a CFormView subclass that contains a CTabCtrl subclass, which has two tabs. Each tab displays a CDialog subclass (tab1dialog, tab2dialog) that houses each tabs controls i learned all this from http://www.codersource.net/mfc_ctabctrl.html http://www.codersource.net/mfc_dialog_message.html now the PROBLEM is that I'm unable to get rid of the ENTER/ESC messages, which make my dialogs (for each tab) dissappear!!! arrghh.. i read online that overriding OnCancel() and OnOK() and PretranslateMessage() work, but in overriding those in the CDialog subclasses (tab1dialog,...

Problems with rules
I have a problem with a rule. When I get email from a certain address it ends up in my designated spam folder. The problem is that this particular email address is not listed in my unwanted email list and no rules are supposed to trigger on the message in question. What could be causing this? ...

can't fix Money stopped working problem
I was able to access and use it completely a couple of days ago and I suddenly started getting messages that it wasn't working. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the CD, but still can't get past the log in page. I tried logging in and skipping the internet access, but still no success. There are no recent changes to my computer that I see. found a "fix" on the support site for money plus when it suddenly stops working. I can't update the program now because I can't get in. When I tried to change the DEP settings to except the files listed in the ...

Problem with objItem.InvokeVerbEx("Print")
Hi, I have found several examples of scripts that use this: "objItem.InvokeVerbEx("Print")" to print text files. However, when I use it, I get a dialog box for every single file printed with the date/time and an OK button. This is really anoying if you have hundreds of files to Print. I have seen the issue brought up before, but no answer to the question. I did try to send it to NUL objItem.InvokeVerbEx("Print") > NULL but that did nothing at all. Is there a way to print all the text files in a directory with out having to click OK 100 ti...

Outlook Problem #28
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_08C5_01C45F62.7BD33710 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a user who when closes Outlook and opens it again, it says that = the Exchange server is no longer available. I setup the Outlook to = point to the Exchange again and it works fine. But when you close it, = it does it again. Any ideas! --=20 Maurice ------=_NextPart_000_08C5_01C45F62.7BD33710 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable ...

Problems with autosum...
I'm using Excel to carry out simple accountancy tasks. I'm using autosum to total up a column of figures to two decimal places. In some worksheets it works fine, in others the resulting autosum value is 0.02 less than the actual sum of the column. Has anyone else experienced this problem or does anyone know a solution? This is a rounding effect. I expect you have formatted the numbers to show two decimal places. For example: in cells A10 and A11 you might see 12.34 and 10.54 but the actual (stored) values are 12.33612 and 10.53592. These add to 22.87204 which is displayed as 22...

Word as EMail Editor in Outlook, Smartquote Problem
Using Office 2003 in Win XP Pro. Word is set as e-mail editor in Outlook. Word is set to use smartquotes, as they look better than the plain straight quotes, in Word documents. However, that seems to cause problems in Outlook e-mail. Spell-checker reports that words are spelled incorrectly, and if sent as is, the other party receives them seeing squares instead of quotation marks. How can I fix this? Has anyone come up with a solution? You have to pick a font that you know has the characters, since not everyone receiving it is guaranteed to have the same font story that you have.... --...

Data was deleted and saved by mistake..need to go back
I need to go back to the data before it was saved, can anyone help Richard don't get your hopes up. Unless you have a copy or a backup ... it's gone. Regards Trevor "Richard" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1084801c3bea6$222d5270$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I need to go back to the data before it was saved, can > anyone help ...

Need help
My company ask me to look for a freelance person who can translate CAD Files to VISIO file...please respond Go to controldrawings.com. I will try to assit you. "Jayne_from_Santa_Monica" wrote: > My company ask me to look for a freelance person who can translate CAD > Files to VISIO file...please respond > > ...

need to get form property
hi, this is probably a very easy solution but I can't figure it out. I have Form A (frm_ARCall), subForm B (sfrm_ARCallInv) and Form C. From Form C, I want to change the Record Source property of subform B. I have tried many things but they have all failed. The latest is: Forms![frm_ARCall]![sfrm_ARCallInv]![Form].[RecordSource] = "fqry_ttARCallInv" NOTE: This line of code is on Form C which is a subform on another form (Form D). Please help -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/201002/1 t...

Re: Public Folders permissions problem
ooops ... we're on Exchange 2003. j -- jj runnion jjrNOSPAM@sinte.edu "JJ Runnion" <jjrNOSPAM@sinte.edu> wrote in message news:... > somehow we've gotten "locked out" of permissions on the calendars and > other folders in our Public Folders. > When I right-click on the calendar in Exchange Manager Admin > Group\Folders\Public Folders, a username/password box pops up and won't > take any of the admin username/passwords (domain admin, enterprise admin, > etc.). I get "the operation failed. ID no:80007005 Exchange system > M...

how do I remove the separator line after deleting a footnote in w.
how do I remove the separator line at the bottom of a page after deleting a footnote in word 2007 Provided you deleted the footnote correctly (by deleting the reference mark in the document body), the separator should not still be there. The fact that it is suggests that there is some residue of the footnote remaining. At a minimum, display nonprinting characters so you can see what you're dealing with. You may need to search the document for ^f (footnote reference mark) to find where the elusive footnote is hiding. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words int...

Need to Select Individual Records Based on Birthdays in Current Mo
That sort of says it. I need to create a list, probably on the same sheet, with the names & birthdays of everybody whose birthday, e.g., falls in October. Trying to do it by hand is embarrassingly inaccurate. Any suggestions would certainly be welcome. Don. Assuming birthdates are in column C In a helper column enter =MONTH(C1) Copy down. Autofilter on Month number..........9 is October. F5>Special>Visible Cells>OK Copy and paste the visible cells to somewhere. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:53:02 -0700, PlarfySoober <PlarfySoober@discussions...

Strange problem after migration
After migrating over to Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 we are having a strange user poblem with Exchange. I migrated the user accounts over with the ADM tool then installed/migrated exchange over from 5.5. Now when I try to connect to OWA or using Outlook I have to login as: HCS\jhay instead of just jhay. HCS was the old NT4 domain and now my new domain is trillion21. I did the steps listed in Microsoft's Exchange 2003 Deployment Guide and everything went fine with no errors. Another thing is that if I go into AD Users and right click on a user it does not have any Exchange taks e...

Problems when Ripping CDs to .mp3
I've started ripping a lot of my CDs to .mp3 format, but keep running into a problem when doing so. I'm currently using Windows XP & Windows Media Player 11. When I insert a CD, the ripping process begins as it should. A folder is created with the Artist name, Album name, Song titles, etc. Somewhere along the way, though, the Media Player and/or OS begins to "redo" things and creates a folder titled "Unknown Artist" along with a bunch of subfolders titled "Unknown Album (5-29-2010 1-46-31 PM). The subfolders all contain certain tracks f...

Contact selection problem in CRM 4 Mail Merge
I can use mail merge option for all contacts on page (grid) without any problems, but if I select one contact or a small selection of contacts the merge resulting list has one entry but only data from the user entity, not from the contact entity...I have no contacts to merge. Merge also fails if I select a merge from an open contact form. I have selected contact attributes in the template. I have administrative rights. Any ideas? ...

SBS2008 + need an additional Terminal Server
Need a Terminal Server to add to an SBS 2008 network. Trouble is it needs to have loads of RAM to host the numebr of users and database application that it needs to run. Windows Server 2008 Standard x86 32bit seems limited to 4GB RAM, wanted more really.. Same as above but x64 64bit would let me go to 32GB....but is probably going to throw me a curved ball regards x64 drivers for remote workers home\domestic printers. How about Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition ? x86 32 bit allows for 64GB RAM.. Can you add an Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition to an SBS 2008...

Excel dropdowns w/o blanks
Hello, I have built a spreadsheet which requires data to be entered in order for the sheet to work properly. My problem is even though there IS NOT a blank option in the drop down, you can select the cell and hit <delete>. This effectively enters a "blank" entry and renders the outgoing data worthless.... How can I keep users from doing this? Thank you for your help!!! Darrell, I think the dropdown you're referring to is Data Validation. It doesn't get involved when a cell is cleared (delete key), pasted into, another cell moved there, and such things. It...

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) Processor: Power PC Hi, I have tried 3 times (unsuccessfully) to load a new copy of MS Office 2008 for MAC - Product ID 92715-501-8109773-12081 onto my daughter's MAC OS 10 It has removed the previous version of Office, I had all other applications shut down (including Messenger) jsut in case - and loaded well all the way through to the next to last step - when it went to check for Auto Updates - it cam back to mactopia website and stopped!! IS there a way to load in a custom manner that coudl 'bypass' that step - or do I need...

Outlook 2002 Installation Problem #2
I installed my Outlook 2002 when I attempted to start it it refused to start giving me this message: "unable to open your default e-mail folders. The DLL file for the infrmation service could not be found. MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.DLL. Be sure the service is correctly installed and configured. Do you have any ideas for me Will Decker wdecker2@cox.net Create a new mail profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal...

How do I lock all cells in Excel except 2 which I need unlocked?
Alex, By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, the go to tools, protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want, now only the cells that you unlocked can be edited. Be aware that this protection is very easy to break, the code to do so can be found very easy, but it will work for most people . If you only need a few locked I would select them all first, Ctrl A, then go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then select the cells you want to lock and go ...

Need to merge two credit cards
I lost my credit card, so the bank replaced it with one that has a new account number. I tried to "merge accounts manually" from the old account to the new one, but now my annual budget either double counts individual transactions, or if I close my old card account in Money, all of my transfers from checking to the credit card show up as an expense, instead of just a transfer between accounts. In microsoft.public.money, Steve wrote: >I lost my credit card, so the bank replaced it with one that has a new >account number. I tried to "merge accounts manually"...

Need advice for getting parent hierarchy path
Hi, I'm using HierarchyID for creating a products category in my application. As I allow users to create sub categories, I want to display the entire path of the parent category so that they can see where they're inserting the new node. For example: I want to display Root > Electronics > Digital Media Players Obviously, I need to start by getting this info. If I pass the HierarchyID of the parent, how do I get the whole path? -- Thanks, Sam Here is one example: CREATE TABLE Foo ( category_hid HIERARCHYID NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, category_name VARCHAR(30...