Multiple *.pst files in "All Mail Folders"

Dear All:

I have multiple *.pst files that have been created over the
last 10 years. Most are still on the old 2000 format ie
not the new 2003 format. Some relate to specific projects
and others relate to series of companies etc etc. They
were all under the former 2 gig limits in size for pst files.

I would like to have those files available in the " All Mail Folders"
section in Outlook 2003. However, I get an "out of resources"
 when I bring those files  into the folder area and try
to open a pst file to read an email or deposit a new email in that
file/folder. (abc.pst)
The available memory in the systems is still over 1.5 gig when
I check the system resources.

Do I need :
a: import vs open file
b: keep the file in the old format ( OL 2000)
     since OL 2003 is not compatible with OL 2000.

Any guidance or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards
John A Hansen

0
jahansen6 (22)

Why would you use separate PST files for this instead of separate Folders in
one PST file?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"John A Hansen" <jahansen6@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Dear All:
>
> I have multiple *.pst files that have been created over the
> last 10 years. Most are still on the old 2000 format ie
> not the new 2003 format. Some relate to specific projects
> and others relate to series of companies etc etc. They
> were all under the former 2 gig limits in size for pst files.
>
> I would like to have those files available in the " All Mail Folders"
> section in Outlook 2003. However, I get an "out of resources"
> when I bring those files  into the folder area and try
> to open a pst file to read an email or deposit a new email in that
> file/folder. (abc.pst)
> The available memory in the systems is still over 1.5 gig when
> I check the system resources.
>

> Do I need :
> a: import vs open file
> b: keep the file in the old format ( OL 2000)
>     since OL 2003 is not compatible with OL 2000.
>
> Any guidance or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
>
> Best Regards
> John A Hansen

0
russval1 (2100)
11/26/2006 2:40:09 PM
Niether Import/Export should be used on a pst
Within OL, Open the pst
How many are you opening?

"John A Hansen" <jahansen6@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Dear All:
>
> I have multiple *.pst files that have been created over the
> last 10 years. Most are still on the old 2000 format ie
> not the new 2003 format. Some relate to specific projects
> and others relate to series of companies etc etc. They
> were all under the former 2 gig limits in size for pst files.
>
> I would like to have those files available in the " All Mail Folders"
> section in Outlook 2003. However, I get an "out of resources"
>  when I bring those files  into the folder area and try
> to open a pst file to read an email or deposit a new email in that
> file/folder. (abc.pst)
> The available memory in the systems is still over 1.5 gig when
> I check the system resources.
>

> Do I need :
> a: import vs open file
> b: keep the file in the old format ( OL 2000)
>      since OL 2003 is not compatible with OL 2000.
>
> Any guidance or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
>
> Best Regards
> John A Hansen

0
DL
11/26/2006 9:22:01 PM
Dear Sir:

Could be as many as 30 with a total of about 70 gig.
Hence I open them as needed and then close after
the period of use is completed.

 I tried to open the *.pst in the "personal Folders"  folder.
After about 3-4 *.pst files are opened.. then I get the
"out of resources" error message. I then have to remove
them in order to proceed.

John A Hansen

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> Niether Import/Export should be used on a pst
> Within OL, Open the pst
> How many are you opening?
>
> "John A Hansen" <jahansen6@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Dear All:
>>
>> I have multiple *.pst files that have been created over the
>> last 10 years. Most are still on the old 2000 format ie
>> not the new 2003 format. Some relate to specific projects
>> and others relate to series of companies etc etc. They
>> were all under the former 2 gig limits in size for pst files.
>>
>> I would like to have those files available in the " All Mail Folders"
>> section in Outlook 2003. However, I get an "out of resources"
>>  when I bring those files  into the folder area and try
>> to open a pst file to read an email or deposit a new email in that
>> file/folder. (abc.pst)
>> The available memory in the systems is still over 1.5 gig when
>> I check the system resources.
>>

>> Do I need :
>> a: import vs open file
>> b: keep the file in the old format ( OL 2000)
>>      since OL 2003 is not compatible with OL 2000.
>>
>> Any guidance or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
>>
>> Best Regards
>> John A Hansen

0
jahansen6 (22)
11/26/2006 11:05:02 PM
Dear Russ:

I do this because the total exceeds the limit of the one pst file.

I can then use the several pst files as necessary and close the
ones that are completed ( for the time being) ( 3-6 months)
This all worked fine in OL 2000 and has just shown up
now in OL 2003.

Best Regards
John A Hansen

> Why would you use separate PST files for this instead of separate Folders
> in one PST file?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "John A Hansen" <jahansen6@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Dear All:
>>
>> I have multiple *.pst files that have been created over the
>> last 10 years. Most are still on the old 2000 format ie
>> not the new 2003 format. Some relate to specific projects
>> and others relate to series of companies etc etc. They
>> were all under the former 2 gig limits in size for pst files.
>>
>> I would like to have those files available in the " All Mail Folders"
>> section in Outlook 2003. However, I get an "out of resources"
>> when I bring those files  into the folder area and try
>> to open a pst file to read an email or deposit a new email in that
>> file/folder. (abc.pst)
>> The available memory in the systems is still over 1.5 gig when
>> I check the system resources.
>>

>> Do I need :
>> a: import vs open file
>> b: keep the file in the old format ( OL 2000)
>>     since OL 2003 is not compatible with OL 2000.
>>
>> Any guidance or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
>>
>> Best Regards
>> John A Hansen

0
jahansen6 (22)
11/26/2006 11:08:28 PM
Your claim then is that you need immediate access to more than 10G of emails
in your profile? You cannot archive? How very unusual. My question remains
unanswered, however. You aren't even close to the limit of a UNICODE PST
file. Why must you use separate PST files?
--
> Dear Russ:
>
> I do this because the total exceeds the limit of the one pst file.
>
> I can then use the several pst files as necessary and close the
> ones that are completed ( for the time being) ( 3-6 months)
> This all worked fine in OL 2000 and has just shown up
> now in OL 2003.
>
> Best Regards
> John A Hansen
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Why would you use separate PST files for this instead of separate Folders
>> in one PST file?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "John A Hansen" <jahansen6@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Dear All:
>>>
>>> I have multiple *.pst files that have been created over the
>>> last 10 years. Most are still on the old 2000 format ie
>>> not the new 2003 format. Some relate to specific projects
>>> and others relate to series of companies etc etc. They
>>> were all under the former 2 gig limits in size for pst files.
>>>
>>> I would like to have those files available in the " All Mail Folders"
>>> section in Outlook 2003. However, I get an "out of resources"
>>> when I bring those files  into the folder area and try
>>> to open a pst file to read an email or deposit a new email in that
>>> file/folder. (abc.pst)
>>> The available memory in the systems is still over 1.5 gig when
>>> I check the system resources.
>>>

>>> Do I need :
>>> a: import vs open file
>>> b: keep the file in the old format ( OL 2000)
>>>     since OL 2003 is not compatible with OL 2000.
>>>
>>> Any guidance or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>> John A Hansen

0
russval1 (2100)
11/27/2006 2:07:13 AM
Russ:

Perhaps you can enlighten me on the limit of the pst files?
I said that the total of the pst files is 70 Gig. By breaking
them into separate pst files it becomes easier to manage
than just one big file.

Basically I'm using an archive method now.
a: retrive a project file
b: store ( close the file) when finished)

You're suggesting that I bring in each *.pst file and then
move all those folders into one large pst file? Will OL 2003
then convert the OL 2000 folders to Unicode?

Best Regards
John A Hansen

> Your claim then is that you need immediate access to more than 10G of
> emails in your profile? You cannot archive? How very unusual. My question
> remains unanswered, however. You aren't even close to the limit of a
> UNICODE PST file. Why must you use separate PST files?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "John A Hansen" <jahansen6@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Dear Russ:
>>
>> I do this because the total exceeds the limit of the one pst file.
>>
>> I can then use the several pst files as necessary and close the
>> ones that are completed ( for the time being) ( 3-6 months)
>> This all worked fine in OL 2000 and has just shown up
>> now in OL 2003.
>>
>> Best Regards
>> John A Hansen

0
jahansen6 (22)
11/27/2006 2:40:33 AM
No. You never mentioned that you need immediate access to 70 Gig worth of
emails in one profile. That is a very unusual requirement for which Outlook
was not designed. I've never seen anyone who needed that.
--
> Russ:
>
> Perhaps you can enlighten me on the limit of the pst files?
> I said that the total of the pst files is 70 Gig. By breaking
> them into separate pst files it becomes easier to manage
> than just one big file.
>
> Basically I'm using an archive method now.
> a: retrive a project file
> b: store ( close the file) when finished)
>
> You're suggesting that I bring in each *.pst file and then
> move all those folders into one large pst file? Will OL 2003
> then convert the OL 2000 folders to Unicode?
>
> Best Regards
> John A Hansen
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Your claim then is that you need immediate access to more than 10G of
>> emails in your profile? You cannot archive? How very unusual. My question
>> remains unanswered, however. You aren't even close to the limit of a
>> UNICODE PST file. Why must you use separate PST files?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "John A Hansen" <jahansen6@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Dear Russ:
>>>
>>> I do this because the total exceeds the limit of the one pst file.
>>>
>>> I can then use the several pst files as necessary and close the
>>> ones that are completed ( for the time being) ( 3-6 months)
>>> This all worked fine in OL 2000 and has just shown up
>>> now in OL 2003.
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>> John A Hansen

0
russval1 (2100)
11/27/2006 10:31:52 AM
I have to confess whilst I have 6 pst's open they are nowhere near the
combined size of yours, which is possibly why you are experiencing probs.

> Dear Sir:
>
> Could be as many as 30 with a total of about 70 gig.
> Hence I open them as needed and then close after
> the period of use is completed.
>
>  I tried to open the *.pst in the "personal Folders"  folder.
> After about 3-4 *.pst files are opened.. then I get the
> "out of resources" error message. I then have to remove
> them in order to proceed.
>
> John A Hansen
>

> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> > Niether Import/Export should be used on a pst
> > Within OL, Open the pst
> > How many are you opening?
> >
> > "John A Hansen" <jahansen6@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Dear All:
> >>
> >> I have multiple *.pst files that have been created over the
> >> last 10 years. Most are still on the old 2000 format ie
> >> not the new 2003 format. Some relate to specific projects
> >> and others relate to series of companies etc etc. They
> >> were all under the former 2 gig limits in size for pst files.
> >>
> >> I would like to have those files available in the " All Mail Folders"
> >> section in Outlook 2003. However, I get an "out of resources"
> >>  when I bring those files  into the folder area and try
> >> to open a pst file to read an email or deposit a new email in that
> >> file/folder. (abc.pst)
> >> The available memory in the systems is still over 1.5 gig when
> >> I check the system resources.
> >>

> >> Do I need :
> >> a: import vs open file
> >> b: keep the file in the old format ( OL 2000)
> >>      since OL 2003 is not compatible with OL 2000.
> >>
> >> Any guidance or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Best Regards
> >> John A Hansen

0
DL

removing "all mail folders" from left "Mail" view
I am a new user to Outlook and am using Outlook 2003. On the left side of my screen, there is a column called MAIL. It has a FAVORITES folder near the top and under that there is a ALL MAIL FOLDERS area. Is there a way to delete the ALL MAIL FOLDERS area? The only folders I use are above it in the FAVORITES area. TIA No. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no a...

Hide "All Mail Folders" pane? Rename inboxes?
I'm using Outlook 2003 in Windows XP. I have three email accounts, one university IMAP account, one POP3 account, and a Bluebottle.com account. I currently filter my IMAP email by having it autoforwarded to the Bluebottle address. This means that I have three folders, but I only want to see two of them (the filtered one and the POP3). I have those in my "Favorite Folders" pane, but everything is still in my "All Mail Folders" pane. Is there any way to hide this pane so that I only have to look at the favorite folders? Second, I would like to rename my inboxe...

Multiple *.pst files in "All Mail Folders"
Dear All: I have multiple *.pst files that have been created over the last 10 years. Most are still on the old 2000 format ie not the new 2003 format. Some relate to specific projects and others relate to series of companies etc etc. They were all under the former 2 gig limits in size for pst files. I would like to have those files available in the " All Mail Folders" section in Outlook 2003. However, I get an "out of resources" when I bring those files into the folder area and try to open a pst file to read an email or deposit a new email in that file/folder. (abc.pst...

Yahoo does not appear in my All Mail Folders window
I have added my Yahoo email account to Outlook 2003. It was easy enough to add Yahoo email but I can't figure out how to get Yahoo to appear in my "All Mail Folders." I can't locate Yahoo email at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated! On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:05:02 -0800, "dclarine" <dclarine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have added my Yahoo email account to Outlook 2003. It was easy enough to >add Yahoo email but I can't figure out how to get Yahoo to appear in my "All >Mail Folders." I can't locate Yahoo email a...

Search ALL Mail folders
(Microsoft Office Outlook 2003). When I type a word in the "Look for:" box, click "All Mail folders" in the "Search in" drop-down list and click "Find Now", the results appear in a list labelled "Inbox". (This leads me believe that only the "Inbox" folder is being searched). How do I see the results from ALL folders? Searching the Inbox folder includes all subfolders if you have specified they are included. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook ve...

another pst file has attached itself to my all mail folders list
Outlook 2003 I have a few different users and each one has its own pst file with its own individual name. mg.pst or louise.pst etc. Somehow, when I open the mg profile, the louise.pst is also listed in my All Mail Folders List on the left. Right clicking on it to close it, results in the message "the operation failed. An object could not be found". Is there a way to get this out of my mg mail folders list profile list? And how did it get on? TIA Louise Create a new mail profile - yours has somehow become corrupt. Configure it to use your existing .pst file. --� Milly...

Need "Bold Fonts" on some folders in the "All Mail Folders".
In the "ALL Mail Folders" above the Navigation Pane I would like to make the Folder Names to be BOLD and hane the sub-folders normal. I have several Folders that I keep expanded and having the Main Folders in Bold Fonts would help the folder I am looking for "Jump Out". Can anyone Help? Nope, Outlook doesn't support that. Keith wrote: > In the "ALL Mail Folders" above the Navigation Pane I would like to make the > Folder Names to be BOLD and hane the sub-folders normal. I have several > Folders that I keep expanded and having the ...

Appearance of the "All Mail Folders"
I would like to make the "Folders" in my "All Mail Folders" (above the Navigation Pane) "BOLD" while leaving the sub-panels un-bolded. Can anyone help? "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9690308A-B370-425E-BFAF-56BFF0833448@microsoft.com... > I would like to make the "Folders" in my "All Mail Folders" (above the > Navigation Pane) "BOLD" while leaving the sub-panels un-bolded. Can anyone > help? Sorry, not possible AFAIK... Please don't multi-post. Cross po...

Same view for all mail folders
How do I define a mail view and apply it to all my mail folders? I'm on Outlook 2003. Define View - Type = Table (assuming you want it to resemble a standard mail folder). "Hall" <hall@garp.org> wrote in message news:uEKWwchvFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > How do I define a mail view and apply it to all my mail folders? > > I'm on Outlook 2003. > > But that only sets the view to the current folder. What about for all folders? I don't have to go about doing this setting manually one-by-one for each do I? "Rich Gory" <rgory...

Is there a way to display Public Folders in All Mail Folders view?
We are getting ready to deploy Outlook 2003 to about 10,000 users. The powers that be do not want the users to have to click on the folder icon in order to see Public Folders (PF). They want them to be in their face when the software is first deployed. A new installation shows, on the left side of the window, Favorite Folders, All Mail Folders (which is the user's mailbox and folders that are on the Exchange server), large icons for Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks, small icons for Notes, Folder View, and Shortcuts. Then there's the little double arrow to configure all of the ic...

Triple "Personnal Folders" in All mail folders pane
Hi, I d' like to knwon how Can I remove 2 of the triple "personnal folder" I had in the All Mail Folders panel (the left hand side panel). They are all the same. Except the first one have different icons compare to the other 2 which are below the first one. How Can I remove the last 2 Thanks ...

Is there a way to display Public Folders in the All Mail Folders view? Outlook2003
We are getting ready to deploy Outlook 2003 to about 10,000 users. The powers that be do not want the users to have to click on the folder icon in order to see Public Folders (PF). They want them to be in their face when the software is first deployed. A new installation shows, on the left side of the window, Favorite Folders, All Mail Folders (which is the user's mailbox and folders that are on the Exchange server), large icons for Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks, small icons for Notes, Folder View, and Shortcuts. Then there's the little double arrow to configure all of the icons...

organizing outllok all mail folders pane
I just switched from Thunderbird to Outlook. TB was very easy to customize. For outlook, any tips on how to organize the all mail folder pane? Like, moving the deleted folder from the top to the bottom of the list. Looks like my pane is sorted alphabetically. You might as well get used to sorting alphabetically... Sry. On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:49:02 -0800, Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I just switched from Thunderbird to Outlook. TB was very easy to customize. >For outlook, any tips on how to organize the all mail folder pane? Like, >moving the deleted folder...

Outlook 2003 mail folder layout issue, all mail folders
I would like to set a default mail folder layout or view that will apply to all mail folders. In Outlook 2003 when I click View | Arranged By | Current View | Define Views, highlight IMAP Messages (my e-mail account is an IMAP account, not an Exchange mail server), click Modify, makes my changes in the 'Customized View: IMAP Messages', such as: Fields: Subject, Flag Status, From, Received, Size, Attachment, and Importance Group By: None Sort: Received Filter: Off Other Settings: Grid line style: No grid lines [ ] Show items in Groups How do I make Outlook 2003 ...

How do I make "Search In All Mail Folders" actually search all of them?
How do I make "Search In All Mail Folders" actually search all of them? When I select "All Mail Folders" from dropdown, it only inserts Drafts;Inbox;Outbox;Sent Items into the "Search In" field, Is there any way to make that dropdown actually list all mail folders or do I have to select them all by hand each time? Any help or pointers to help are appreciated. Thanks, Ken Outlook version? What search engine are you using? WDS? GDS? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head sc...

Possible to hide the All Mail Folders part of Mail view?
I have rules that move messages to folders in my hierarchy. The problem is that the All Mail Folders section of the Nav Pane (when in the Mail view) resizes vertically to show the folder. This hides my Current View part of the Nav Pane that I use frequently. Is there any way to customize the nav bar to remove parts like. IOW, I only want Fav Folders and Current View to display. (I can get to the other folders through the Folder View when I need to) Use the shortcuts button to create the view you want. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion ...

SMTP account in All Mail Folders (Outlook2003)
Hi All, I have successfully gotten my Hotmail to show as a folder in my "All Mail Folders" pane, but after setting up a POP3/SMTP mail account (twice even!) I can't get this to show in the "All Mail Folders" pane. It (outlook) knows it's 'there' because when I send mail I can choose the POP3 account as the source of my email, I just can't see it anywhere to be able to check it's contents. Ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated. Steve. Just in case anyone else has gotten this problem, it looks like any mail that gets delivered to the POP3/MAPI...

how to recover a deleted file from All Mail Folders
how to recover a deleted file from All Mail Folders This may or may not help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246153/en-us How to recover items that have been hard deleted in Outlook Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!" KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4 Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com "NaNi" <NaNi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0558ECE9-B22C-4640-9A42-D6C9D8B07649@microsoft.com... > how to recover a d...

Views don't update in all mail folders.
When using View/arrange By/Current Views/Define Views, to make modifications to the "Messages" view (specifically, to turn off the reading pane and grouping and/or add/remove fields) the changes do not filter through to all mail folders using that view. I can't locate anything in options that looks like a toggle switch to automatically update all folders to use the new view settings. HELP anyone? As soon as you change the Messages view in one folder, that view is "one-offed" for that folder only. You'd need to reset the Messages view globally and then ap...