Multiple PST Files #2

I am running Outlook 2003 and would like to have Outlook use two
different .pst files (one for my work stuff and one for home) on the
same computer.  Is it possible to do this?

If so, can I can I configure one of the pst files to get e-mail from
one account, while the other pst file is configured to get mail from
the other account?

Thanks!

-D
0
dbk (4)

Yes, you can create multiple PSTs. I keep mine stored in
the same file location but with different names.
Depending on which version of Outlook you run, you can
creat a new pst from file/new/Outlook Data File (I run
Outlook 2003 but had multiple PSTs with older versions of
outlook).

After you have the new PST created you will need to enter
in the specific account access info (assuming its POP3
access) which is available under tools/email accounts.
You need POP and SMTP names as well as the account name
and password.

Finally you need to tell outlook where to deliver mail
for that PST. In outlook 2003 that is available from the
same form where you manage email accounts. Not sure on
older versions so try Outlook Help (f1).

Good luck!

0
anonymous (74722)
2/3/2004 9:38:23 PM
No. You can only designate one PST file as the default delivery location.
There is very little reason I can think of for multiple PST files. Separate
Folders in the same PST file works just as well and then you can use rules
to direct messages into the desired folders.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message
> I am running Outlook 2003 and would like to have Outlook use two
> different .pst files (one for my work stuff and one for home) on the
> same computer.  Is it possible to do this?
>
> If so, can I can I configure one of the pst files to get e-mail from
> one account, while the other pst file is configured to get mail from
> the other account?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -D

0
russval (3097)
2/3/2004 9:52:34 PM
Russ,

Thanks for your note.  My reason for wanting multiple pst files is to
seperate personal e-mail and contacts from business.  You state that
only one pst file can be specified as the default delivery location.
My goal is to load one pst file - connect to my office account and
download e-mail and then at a later time, load my personal pst file
and connect to a different account to download e-mail from a different
account.

Is something like this possible?

Thanks!

-DBK

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<e7V9NAq6DHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> No. You can only designate one PST file as the default delivery location.
> There is very little reason I can think of for multiple PST files. Separate
> Folders in the same PST file works just as well and then you can use rules
> to direct messages into the desired folders.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message
> > I am running Outlook 2003 and would like to have Outlook use two
> > different .pst files (one for my work stuff and one for home) on the
> > same computer.  Is it possible to do this?
> >
> > If so, can I can I configure one of the pst files to get e-mail from
> > one account, while the other pst file is configured to get mail from
> > the other account?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -D
0
dbk (4)
2/4/2004 1:35:39 PM
You could make a business PST file or a PST file for individual clients.
Then one mail is rec to the main inbox, move the correspondind email to the
pst file you wish. Just right click on the email you want and see the
choices.

> Russ,
>
> Thanks for your note.  My reason for wanting multiple pst files is to
> seperate personal e-mail and contacts from business.  You state that
> only one pst file can be specified as the default delivery location.
> My goal is to load one pst file - connect to my office account and
> download e-mail and then at a later time, load my personal pst file
> and connect to a different account to download e-mail from a different
> account.
>
> Is something like this possible?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -DBK
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > No. You can only designate one PST file as the default delivery
location.
> > There is very little reason I can think of for multiple PST files.
Separate
> > Folders in the same PST file works just as well and then you can use
rules
> > to direct messages into the desired folders.
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message
> > > I am running Outlook 2003 and would like to have Outlook use two
> > > different .pst files (one for my work stuff and one for home) on the
> > > same computer.  Is it possible to do this?
> > >
> > > If so, can I can I configure one of the pst files to get e-mail from
> > > one account, while the other pst file is configured to get mail from
> > > the other account?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > -D

0
medrxman (26)
2/4/2004 3:35:49 PM
Sounds like you just need to create two separate Outlook profiles, one for
each account and each using a separate PST file. Take a look at this MS KB
article, it may help:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q287/0/72.asp

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message
> Russ,
>
> Thanks for your note.  My reason for wanting multiple pst files is to
> seperate personal e-mail and contacts from business.  You state that
> only one pst file can be specified as the default delivery location.
> My goal is to load one pst file - connect to my office account and
> download e-mail and then at a later time, load my personal pst file
> and connect to a different account to download e-mail from a different
> account.
>
> Is something like this possible?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -DBK
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > No. You can only designate one PST file as the default delivery
location.
> > There is very little reason I can think of for multiple PST files.
Separate
> > Folders in the same PST file works just as well and then you can use
rules
> > to direct messages into the desired folders.
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message
> > > I am running Outlook 2003 and would like to have Outlook use two
> > > different .pst files (one for my work stuff and one for home) on the
> > > same computer.  Is it possible to do this?
> > >
> > > If so, can I can I configure one of the pst files to get e-mail from
> > > one account, while the other pst file is configured to get mail from
> > > the other account?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > -D

0
russval (3097)
2/4/2004 9:53:16 PM
I have Outlook 2000 could Ido this too?
> Yes, you can create multiple PSTs. I keep mine stored in
> the same file location but with different names.
> Depending on which version of Outlook you run, you can
> creat a new pst from file/new/Outlook Data File (I run
> Outlook 2003 but had multiple PSTs with older versions of
> outlook).
>
> After you have the new PST created you will need to enter
> in the specific account access info (assuming its POP3
> access) which is available under tools/email accounts.
> You need POP and SMTP names as well as the account name
> and password.
>
> Finally you need to tell outlook where to deliver mail
> for that PST. In outlook 2003 that is available from the
> same form where you manage email accounts. Not sure on
> older versions so try Outlook Help (f1).
>
> Good luck!

0
portella1 (15)
2/5/2004 12:02:03 AM
Hi Russ,

Great - this does sound like what I need.  How do I associate the
different pst files with each Outlook profile?

-DBK

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<OyG4Pl26DHA.1664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Sounds like you just need to create two separate Outlook profiles, one for
> each account and each using a separate PST file. Take a look at this MS KB
> article, it may help:
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q287/0/72.asp
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message
> > Russ,
> >
> > Thanks for your note.  My reason for wanting multiple pst files is to
> > seperate personal e-mail and contacts from business.  You state that
> > only one pst file can be specified as the default delivery location.
> > My goal is to load one pst file - connect to my office account and
> > download e-mail and then at a later time, load my personal pst file
> > and connect to a different account to download e-mail from a different
> > account.
> >
> > Is something like this possible?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -DBK
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > No. You can only designate one PST file as the default delivery
>  location.
> > > There is very little reason I can think of for multiple PST files.
>  Separate
> > > Folders in the same PST file works just as well and then you can use
>  rules
> > > to direct messages into the desired folders.
> > > --
> > > Russ Valentine
> > > [MVP-Outlook]
> > > "dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message

0
dbk (4)
2/5/2004 3:58:11 PM
Make sure you know the name and location of each PST file you want to use.
When you configure each profile, you will have the opportunity to specify
which Personal Folders File you want that profile to use.
--
> Hi Russ,
>
> Great - this does sound like what I need.  How do I associate the
> different pst files with each Outlook profile?
>
> -DBK
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Sounds like you just need to create two separate Outlook profiles, one
for
> > each account and each using a separate PST file. Take a look at this MS
KB
> > article, it may help:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q287/0/72.asp
> >
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message
> > > Russ,
> > >
> > > Thanks for your note.  My reason for wanting multiple pst files is to
> > > seperate personal e-mail and contacts from business.  You state that
> > > only one pst file can be specified as the default delivery location.
> > > My goal is to load one pst file - connect to my office account and
> > > download e-mail and then at a later time, load my personal pst file
> > > and connect to a different account to download e-mail from a different
> > > account.
> > >
> > > Is something like this possible?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > -DBK
> > >
> > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >  location.
> >  Separate
> >  rules

0
russval (3097)

How to get XML data out of an XML file

NESTED IF STATEMENTS #2
Having a little problem in an excel class, hoping someone might be able to help. I'm trying to fill in the discount column on a spreadsheet with the following info. The problem states use a nested form of the IF function to calculate 15% if Amount is greater that $300., 10% if Amount is greater than $100., and 0% if Amount is less than $100. The Amount column is cell D5. Anyone know how to write the formula and explain how to go about it? Any help would be much appreciated. Let's see. This is homework so you should come up with the answer yourself. Did you start by looking in the he...

Multiple PST Files #2

lost menu bar #2
HELP!!! The main menu bar is missing off my excel sheet and I can't seem to find anyone to help me get it back. The menu I am missing is the one that includes - File, Edit, Insert and etc. I have tried...right clicking - customize - toolbars, but I don't seem to have the needed item. Anyone with suggestions - please reply... Thanks. Hi if you right-click on the menu bar you should see an item like 'General'. Check this item -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany JoEllen OSBDC wrote: > HELP!!! The main menu bar is missing off my excel sheet > and I can't s...

Money 2006 file repair application error

Application hanging on file load...
Okay, I'm having the strangest problem, and I'm hoping somebody here will be able to give me an idea of how to attack it... I have an MFC application that does some networked communication, multi-threading, fun stuff... I also load and save xml configuration files. Now, on most of the computers I've run my software on, I have absolutely no problems. On SOME boxes, however, whenever I use my menu to try to load or save a file... before the File Dialog box even comes up... the application hangs. All the boxes I've tried this on have been Windows 2000 boxes with Service Pack 4....

can't open files

Multiple Bar Codes Per Item
I'm looking to use Microsoft RMS for a medium sized game store with one terminal. One critical feature is the ability to have multiple bar codes assigned to the same item. Can RMS do this? Gary Gary, If you are talking about multiple part numbers, yes, use the alias function. Remember what a barcode is. Its a graphical representation of a partnumber that is machine readable. It doesn't describe the item, it is only a number to reference that item. Just like your phone number, it means nothing, but everytime someone dials that number, it gets to you. -- * "gareman" ...

I can no longer convert my files to pdf

Thread Synchronization #2
Hi, I have a shared resource, say a file which is to be accessed between multiple threads. There are say 20 Read threads and 1 Write thread. When the Write thread is writing into the file, the Read threads should be blocked, and when even 1 read thread reads, the Write thread should be blocked. The Read threads can read simultaneously, but only say 5 at a time. What kind of synchronization mechanism can I use for this? TIA, Sucharit You can create a mutex a adquire it when a read operation start, check it before start any write operation. You will need another mutex ...

using dates Part 2

Send 1 address to 2 mailboxes
I want to create an address and have any mail sent to that address delivered to two separate users' mailboxes. How can I do that. I've tried simply adding the address in the two users' "Email Addresses" tab in the User's properties of ADU&C. But it wouldn't allow me to add the same address to the second user ("This email address already exists in this organization"). I've also tried creating a new user for the address and forwarding the email to the 2 other users (Exchange General tab - Delivery Options button - Forward To field). But ...

Backup Excel file

Publisher 2000? #2
Is there a place where I can still get version 2000? I've been looking, but all I can find are updates and the 2007 trial. My computer can't run 2007. *If* if can be had, try something like eBay. (I wouldn't buy software that way but that's just my preference.) You may find you have better luck finding a leftover copy of Pub 2003 from some online retailers. (I actually prefer that over 2000.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Compare 2 different workbooks with the result in a 3rd
I have two workbooks (2005 Sales, 2004 Sales), which track daily results in half hour intervals. I want to be able to show the increase in 2005 in a 3rd workbooks. The first two workbooks are identically formatted. How can I do this? Many thanks to all in the forum who have helped in the past. If the data is in exactly the same position in the two worksheets you could copy/paste one's data to a new worksheet and then copy the second's, doing an Edit, Paste Special, Subtract on top of the first's data. This is admittedly crude but it is easy to do. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP &q...

Outlook Data Files #4

List folders to file

import from eudora #2
I have used Eudora for many years, but am planning to set up my email in outlook. I want to move all of my mailboxes to outlook. Eudora does not have an export function. Do I need to go through something else, such as Thunderbird. I can't use Outlook Express, because it only imports through Eudora v3.0. I have 4.3. Any thoughts on this? "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote in message news:IOmdnV5bH5fEddbVnZ2dnUVZ_rbinZ2d@comcast.com... >I have used Eudora for many years, but am planning to set up my email in >outlook. I want to move all of my m...

Hyperlink File Help

Lost .pst files
I am using Office XP with Outlook 2002 (SP2). I recently had a boot track failure on my old computer which had 2 hard drives, using the second drive as back-up storage. I bought a new computer and installed the old main drive (the one with the failed boot track) in my new computer as a second drive and copied all the data onto the new main drive. All data and software works except Outlook. I cannot find any .pst files on my old drive. Where could they be. BTW I use Matadore as a spam blocker. In article <014e01c3462e$561cbdf0$a101280a@phx.gbl>, daddyray01 @sport.rr.com say...

IMPORTING MONEY FILES DUP ENTRIES
I have been unable to run money98 files in money2003.Tried importing files but all tranfers between accounts are duplicated. Don't understand how to import all the accounts at once. I created new accounts in 2003 and imported one by one, but any transactions between accounts is duplicated. Follow the prompts on the import file dialog that tell you to select multiple files to import at the same time. There are other guidelines if investment accounts are involved. You might want to review postings on this subject in the group archives at http://groups.google.com. "JAYNE" &l...

Utility (pref. script) to catalog .EDB files
Hi, I have a client that is using an Enterprise backup tool which, whilst able to back-up and restore, does not provide in-depth information like traditional Exchange-aware backup products. I have been asked to write a script to list the users in a flat .EDB file (which has been snapped and copied and flushed using SAN replication tools). I have taken a look at the ESE API, which can only be accessed using C + (I only use VB). Other than EXMERGE, does anyone know of any tools that allow you to list the basic mailbox details on a EDB file? Thanks, Hutton. ...