Multiple copies of emails #2

I've read some of the other posts on this problem, but nothing I've tried
seems to work.  Here's the background.  I'm using Outlook 2000 (SP-3).  I
have 3 different email accounts with comcast that I have forwarded to my
Outlook.  If some sends an email to any one of those account, I end up
getting 3 copies of it in my inbox ... all to the same one of my email
addresses.  I know this isn't a problem with Comcast, because when I look at
my messages on their server, there's only one copy of each.
     So I figure it must have something to do with the Rules ... but when I
go to the Rules Wizard (which I had never done before), there are no rules
set up.  So there's nothing there to change.  Should I be setting up some
rules?
     Any help on this would really be appreciated.
Thanks
--
Replaw
0

are all messages forwarded to one inbox and you check it three times,
leaving all mail on the server with each account?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"replaw" <replaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've read some of the other posts on this problem, but nothing I've tried
> seems to work.  Here's the background.  I'm using Outlook 2000 (SP-3).  I
> have 3 different email accounts with comcast that I have forwarded to my
> Outlook.  If some sends an email to any one of those account, I end up
> getting 3 copies of it in my inbox ... all to the same one of my email
> addresses.  I know this isn't a problem with Comcast, because when I look
> at
> my messages on their server, there's only one copy of each.
>     So I figure it must have something to do with the Rules ... but when I
> go to the Rules Wizard (which I had never done before), there are no rules
> set up.  So there's nothing there to change.  Should I be setting up some
> rules?
>     Any help on this would really be appreciated.
> Thanks
> --
> Replaw

0
outlookmvp (5838)
12/11/2005 10:30:26 PM
Diane...
     When I go to my Inbox in Outlook, I see 3 copies of the exact same
email, each one to the same email account.  For example, one of my email
accounts is replaw@comcast.net.  When I went into my Inbox just a few minutes
ago, there were 3 copies of the same email from eCost.com, and they were all
address to replaw@comcast.net.  There wasn't one for each of my email
accounts, but all to the same account.  Any advice?
thanks
Dick

--
Replaw

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> are all messages forwarded to one inbox and you check it three times,
> leaving all mail on the server with each account?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> "replaw" <replaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've read some of the other posts on this problem, but nothing I've tried
> > seems to work.  Here's the background.  I'm using Outlook 2000 (SP-3).  I
> > have 3 different email accounts with comcast that I have forwarded to my
> > Outlook.  If some sends an email to any one of those account, I end up
> > getting 3 copies of it in my inbox ... all to the same one of my email
> > addresses.  I know this isn't a problem with Comcast, because when I look
> > at
> > my messages on their server, there's only one copy of each.
> >     So I figure it must have something to do with the Rules ... but when I
> > go to the Rules Wizard (which I had never done before), there are no rules
> > set up.  So there's nothing there to change.  Should I be setting up some
> > rules?
> >     Any help on this would really be appreciated.
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Replaw

0
replaw (7)
12/11/2005 11:57:02 PM
replaw <replaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I've read some of the other posts on this problem, but nothing I've
> tried seems to work.  Here's the background.  I'm using Outlook 2000
> (SP-3).  I have 3 different email accounts with comcast that I have
> forwarded to my Outlook.

I doubt they're forwarded.  Do you mean you download them with Outlook?
That's not the same as forwarding.

> If some sends an email to any one of those
> account, I end up getting 3 copies of it in my inbox ...

Are these three addresses aliases of one another?  I.e., do you have to log
on to three separate mailboxes (I.e., three usernames/passwords) at Comcast
to see the messages or do you log on to a single mailbox to receive the
messages from all three addresses?  If this latter is the case, then they
aren't really separate, from Outlook's point of view and that's why you get
three copies: Outlook accesses your single mailbox three times with each
send/receive, downloading the messages there.

To correct the problem, modify two of your accounts in the Send/Receive
group so they do not receive mail, only send.  That way you can use all
three addresses for outgoing messages, but all inbound messages will
download only once through a single account.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
12/12/2005 3:41:13 PM
Brian ... Yes, I have 3 separate accounts.  To access each of my emails with
Comcast, I have to separately log onto comcast.net, and log in with a
different username and password.  Then, in Outlook, I set each one of them up
as a separate account, inserting the comcast password for that account when
prompted for it.  What do you think?
    Thanks for continuing to work on this.
--
Replaw

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> replaw <replaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I've read some of the other posts on this problem, but nothing I've
> > tried seems to work.  Here's the background.  I'm using Outlook 2000
> > (SP-3).  I have 3 different email accounts with comcast that I have
> > forwarded to my Outlook.
>
> I doubt they're forwarded.  Do you mean you download them with Outlook?
> That's not the same as forwarding.
>
> > If some sends an email to any one of those
> > account, I end up getting 3 copies of it in my inbox ...
>
> Are these three addresses aliases of one another?  I.e., do you have to log
> on to three separate mailboxes (I.e., three usernames/passwords) at Comcast
> to see the messages or do you log on to a single mailbox to receive the
> messages from all three addresses?  If this latter is the case, then they
> aren't really separate, from Outlook's point of view and that's why you get
> three copies: Outlook accesses your single mailbox three times with each
> send/receive, downloading the messages there.
>
> To correct the problem, modify two of your accounts in the Send/Receive
> group so they do not receive mail, only send.  That way you can use all
> three addresses for outgoing messages, but all inbound messages will
> download only once through a single account.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
replaw (7)
12/13/2005 4:21:03 AM
replaw <replaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Brian ... Yes, I have 3 separate accounts.  To access each of my
> emails with Comcast, I have to separately log onto comcast.net, and
> log in with a different username and password.  Then, in Outlook, I
> set each one of them up as a separate account, inserting the comcast
> password for that account when prompted for it.  What do you think?

That's not typical.  It you need separate credentials for each account,
Outlook should be handling them OK.  Do you have the option set on any
account to leave copies on the server?  In addition to SP3, have you applied
SR-2?  That's not the same as SP2.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
Replaw

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> replaw <replaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Brian ... Yes, I have 3 separate accounts.  To access each of my
> > emails with Comcast, I have to separately log onto comcast.net, and
> > log in with a different username and password.  Then, in Outlook, I
> > set each one of them up as a separate account, inserting the comcast
> > password for that account when prompted for it.  What do you think?
>
> That's not typical.  It you need separate credentials for each account,
> Outlook should be handling them OK.  Do you have the option set on any
> account to leave copies on the server?  In addition to SP3, have you applied
> SR-2?  That's not the same as SP2.
> --
> Brian Tillman
>
> Brian....I just noticed that on each of the accounts, the box IS checked for leaving a copy of the message on the server.  Is that causing the problem?  Should I uncheck that box on each of the accts.  Also, what is SR-2 and how do I find out if I already have it installed? Thanks again....Dick

0
replaw (7)
12/14/2005 1:32:02 AM
replaw <replaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I just noticed that on each of the accounts, the box IS
> checked for leaving a copy of the message on the server.  Is that
> causing the problem?

It shouldn't, but it does happen.

> Should I uncheck that box on each of the accts.

That depends on whether or not you want to leave a copy on the server so
another machine can access it.

> Also, what is SR-2 and how do I find out if I already have it installed?

Oops.  My mistake.  I was thinking of Outlook 97.  There is an SR-1a for
Office 2000 that you can read about here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=AF6C8D03-7633-45B4-AB96-795EE656F2A2&displaylang=en

Click Help>About to see what version and build you'tre running.  Since you
have SP3 installed, you have SR-1a installed as well, since SP3 includes
SR-1a.

Are you running Outlook 2000 in Internet Mail Only mode or
Corporate/Workgroup mode?  Help>About tells you that also.  If what you
describe were happening to me, I'd start with a new mail profile, but the
method for doing that is different depending on the mode.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
12/15/2005 4:17:27 PM
Brian ... Yes, it is running in Internet Mode Only mode.  Does that have an
effect?
Dick

--
Replaw

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> replaw <replaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I just noticed that on each of the accounts, the box IS
> > checked for leaving a copy of the message on the server.  Is that
> > causing the problem?
>
> It shouldn't, but it does happen.
>
> > Should I uncheck that box on each of the accts.
>
> That depends on whether or not you want to leave a copy on the server so
> another machine can access it.
>
> > Also, what is SR-2 and how do I find out if I already have it installed?
>
> Oops.  My mistake.  I was thinking of Outlook 97.  There is an SR-1a for
> Office 2000 that you can read about here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=AF6C8D03-7633-45B4-AB96-795EE656F2A2&displaylang=en
>
> Click Help>About to see what version and build you'tre running.  Since you
> have SP3 installed, you have SR-1a installed as well, since SP3 includes
> SR-1a.
>
> Are you running Outlook 2000 in Internet Mail Only mode or
> Corporate/Workgroup mode?  Help>About tells you that also.  If what you
> describe were happening to me, I'd start with a new mail profile, but the
> method for doing that is different depending on the mode.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
replaw (7)
12/15/2005 8:13:03 PM
replaw <replaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Yes, it is running in Internet Mode Only mode.  Does that have an effect?

Well, it means that creating a new mail profile involved editing the
Registry, rather than using Outlook itself.

With Outlook closed, make a copy of your PST and delete the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
Messaging Subsystem\Microsoft Outlook Internet Settings
When you restart Outlook, it should recreate the registry key and may create
a new PST.  You can then open the old PST with File>Open>Personal Folders
File and reset it to be your delivery location by selecting its root,
clicking File>Folder>Properties and checking the box that says "Delivery POP
mail to this personal folders file", and clicking OK.  After stopping and
starting Outlook again, I think you can then remove the extra PST if there
is one by right-click>Close.

You could, instead, switch to Corporate/WorkGroup mode on Tools>Options>Mail
Delivery>Reconfigure Mail Support, which will change the Tools>Accounts menu
item to Tools>Services and also change Control Panel's Mail applet to allow
you to create a new mail profile if you were need one.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)