Migrating Outlook 2007 Account Settings and Email Folders

I used to use a different computer, with Outlook 2007 installed on it.
I had to remove the hard drive from that computer and now have it in
my new computer, also with Outlook 2007 installed on it. I have full
access to the entire hard drive and all its contents from the old
computer and want to do one simple thing: copy all the necessary files
over from the old hard drive to the new one so that Outlook 2007 will
have the correct accounts set up and folders in place. I just haven't
been able to find a clear solution to this.

I've already tried just moving the Outlook folder from Local Settings
\App Data\MS\Outlook & App Data\MS\Outlook over and it didn't restore
my accounts, so any help here is appreciated.

0
bbarcelo (3)

Accounts are stored in the registry, I dont believe you can recover them

"Bryce" <bbarcelo@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I used to use a different computer, with Outlook 2007 installed on it.
> I had to remove the hard drive from that computer and now have it in
> my new computer, also with Outlook 2007 installed on it. I have full
> access to the entire hard drive and all its contents from the old
> computer and want to do one simple thing: copy all the necessary files
> over from the old hard drive to the new one so that Outlook 2007 will
> have the correct accounts set up and folders in place. I just haven't
> been able to find a clear solution to this.
>
> I've already tried just moving the Outlook folder from Local Settings
> \App Data\MS\Outlook & App Data\MS\Outlook over and it didn't restore
> my accounts, so any help here is appreciated.

0
DL
10/7/2007 12:03:21 PM
On Oct 7, 8:03 am, "DL" <address@invalid> wrote:
> Accounts are stored in the registry, I dont believe you can recover them
>
> "Bryce" <bbarc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I used to use a different computer, with Outlook 2007 installed on it.
> > I had to remove the hard drive from that computer and now have it in
> > my new computer, also with Outlook 2007 installed on it. I have full
> > access to the entire hard drive and all its contents from the old
> > computer and want to do one simple thing: copy all the necessary files
> > over from the old hard drive to the new one so that Outlook 2007 will
> > have the correct accounts set up and folders in place. I just haven't
> > been able to find a clear solution to this.
>
> > I've already tried just moving the Outlook folder from Local Settings
> > \App Data\MS\Outlook & App Data\MS\Outlook over and it didn't restore
> > my accounts, so any help here is appreciated.

Well, I've still got the entire registry from the old computer on the
old hard drive, couldn't I just import all the appropriate keys? If
someone could tell me what they were, of course.

0
bbarcelo (3)
10/7/2007 8:33:45 PM
Bryce <bbarcelo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I've still got the entire registry from the old computer on the
> old hard drive, couldn't I just import all the appropriate keys? If
> someone could tell me what they were, of course.

You can export from a registry only when it's active.  I don't know of any
tools that will allow you to extract keys from the registry files when
they're not loaded.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
10/8/2007 12:08:08 PM
On Oct 8, 8:08 am, "Brian Tillman" <tillman1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Bryce <bbarc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, I've still got the entire registry from the old computer on the
> > old hard drive, couldn't I just import all the appropriate keys? If
> > someone could tell me what they were, of course.
>
> You can export from a registry only when it's active.  I don't know of any
> tools that will allow you to extract keys from the registry files when
> they're not loaded.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Isn't it possible to just open the registry in notepad and extract and
re-enter the keys manually? I know I can view the registry pretty
easily using gedit in Gnome.

0
bbarcelo (3)
10/8/2007 5:32:51 PM
Bryce <bbarcelo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn't it possible to just open the registry in notepad and extract and
> re-enter the keys manually? I know I can view the registry pretty
> easily using gedit in Gnome.

The registry is not a human-readable file nor is it a single file.  It
contains a lot of binary data and has references between physical files.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
10/8/2007 7:38:26 PM
On Oct 7, 2:03 am, Bryce <bbarc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I used to use a different computer, with Outlook 2007 installed on it.
> I had to remove the hard drive from that computer and now have it in
> my new computer, also with Outlook 2007 installed on it. I have full
> access to the entire hard drive and all its contents from the old
> computer and want to do one simple thing: copy all the necessary files
> over from the old hard drive to the new one so that Outlook 2007 will
> have the correct accounts set up and folders in place. I just haven't
> been able to find a clear solution to this.
>
> I've already tried just moving the Outlook folder from Local Settings
> \App Data\MS\Outlook & App Data\MS\Outlook over and it didn't restore
> my accounts, so any help here is appreciated.

It can be done: http://damnprinter.com/index.php/145/how-to-import-and-export-profiles-account-settings-in-outlook.html
or here: http://pixma.ulmb.com/?p=233
I would think that if you can export that key it would work as well
even if the computer is not running.

On Oct 9, 7:22 pm, damnprin...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2:03 am, Bryce <bbarc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I used to use a different computer, with Outlook 2007 installed on it.
> > I had to remove the hard drive from that computer and now have it in
> > my new computer, also with Outlook 2007 installed on it. I have full
> > access to the entire hard drive and all its contents from the old
> > computer and want to do one simple thing: copy all the necessary files
> > over from the old hard drive to the new one so that Outlook 2007 will
> > have the correct accounts set up and folders in place. I just haven't
> > been able to find a clear solution to this.
>
> > I've already tried just moving the Outlook folder from Local Settings
> > \App Data\MS\Outlook & App Data\MS\Outlook over and it didn't restore
> > my accounts, so any help here is appreciated.
>
> It can be done:http://damnprinter.com/index.php/145/how-to-import-and-export-profile...
> or here:http://pixma.ulmb.com/?p=233
> I would think that if you can export that key it would work as well
> even if the computer is not running.

I do see now that the registry section I need to edit is not human-
readable. Anyone aware of any registry editing programs that will
allow me to open something like c:\windows\system32\config\software
(where HKEY CURRENT SOFTWARE is located in the registry according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry#Windows_NT.2C_2000.2C_XP.2C_Server_2003.2C_and_Vista
)

0
tigrfire (1)

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

invalid email address

Invalid Account on the Security Tab
I deleted an account from AD, and it was listed under the security tab of my server (in ESM), to have full mailbox rights to the information store. I tried removing the inherited permissions, and removing the acct. The I set the inherited permissions back, and the invalid acct. comes back. Does anyone know how I can remove this invalid acct. from the security tab? Thanks. Remove it from the top-level where it was granted permissions. When you set inherited permissions and the account comes back, that means that that account has been granted permissions at a higher level. If you'v...

From time to time, I will recieve email from friends, family, or business...and when I get the email, I open it up to find nothing but white space. I can't find a common thing between emails. I just know it is very frustrating when I have to ask people to resend the email to me or to a new address. When I look at my mail on the server, it is fine. It is when I open Outlook and it downloads it to my desktop. I get nothing. Any ideas? Cheers.. vg Sorry, wanted to add that I am using OL2003 with WINXP and everything is updated SP wise. I am starting to see some articles on this...

Attaching Contacts to new email

Some Emails Cannot be Delivered

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Emails #3

outlook 97 and express email problems