Migrating from Novell to Windows 2000 server causes issues with .PST on Win95/98

All:

Hopefully someone has seen this before and can provide a clue.

We are currently migrating all of our user home directories from Novell 5
servers to Windows 2000 servers.  The majority of our clients are XP and
Windows 2000 workstations using Outlook 2000.  However, there are still a
number of clients using Windows 95/98 and Outlook 98.

After copying .PST files from the Novell home directory to the Windows 2000
home directory using a Windows XP workstation, users using the Windows 95/98
workstations get an 'access denied error' when attempting to open their .PST
folder from the Windows 2000 share.  Windows 2000/XP clients are able to
open the .PST file normally.  There are no special (read only, or otherwise)
attributes set to the .PST file, and the permissions are set properly.

Oddly, if we copy the .PST file from Novell to Windows 2000 using a Windows
95 client, Windows 95 clients are able to open the .PST file normally.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on?

Thanks,

Mark

The Client you are using embeds information in the PST
file.  The Windows 2000 clients are not backward
compatible. All Windows 95/98 users must have their copy
done using a Windows 95/98 client system for this to work.
0
anonymous (74722)
9/16/2004 2:31:16 PM
So, there's no work around?

This makes migrations a bit difficult to say the least.

Thanks for the reply.

Mark Grace <mark_grace@trihealth.com> wrote:

> After copying .PST files from the Novell home directory to the
> Windows 2000 home directory using a Windows XP workstation, users
> using the Windows 95/98 workstations get an 'access denied error'
> when attempting to open their .PST folder from the Windows 2000
> share.  Windows 2000/XP clients are able to open the .PST file
> normally.  There are no special (read only, or otherwise) attributes
> set to the .PST file, and the permissions are set properly.
>
> Oddly, if we copy the .PST file from Novell to Windows 2000 using a
> Windows 95 client, Windows 95 clients are able to open the .PST file
> normally.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on?

Difference between an NTFS access and a FAT access, perhaps?  The share is
on an NTFS volume, I presume.  Are you sure _all_ the share permissions are
set correctly?
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)
9/16/2004 5:10:36 PM
Thanks for the reply Brian.

We are sure - we're logged in as administrators and we still get the same
error.  Admins have full control, and the user has modify.

Mark

> Mark Grace <mark_grace@trihealth.com> wrote:
>
> > After copying .PST files from the Novell home directory to the
> > Windows 2000 home directory using a Windows XP workstation, users
> > using the Windows 95/98 workstations get an 'access denied error'
> > when attempting to open their .PST folder from the Windows 2000
> > share.  Windows 2000/XP clients are able to open the .PST file
> > normally.  There are no special (read only, or otherwise) attributes
> > set to the .PST file, and the permissions are set properly.
> >
> > Oddly, if we copy the .PST file from Novell to Windows 2000 using a
> > Windows 95 client, Windows 95 clients are able to open the .PST file
> > normally.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on?
>
> Difference between an NTFS access and a FAT access, perhaps?  The share is
> on an NTFS volume, I presume.  Are you sure _all_ the share permissions
are
> set correctly?
> --
> Brian Tillman

Linked graphics into a Publisher 2000 document
I have a 400KB document (withgout graphics). I insert two JPEG images each around 200KB into the document. I figure the resulting document should be around 700KB. Result? An 11MB file. I delete the images (document is now 400KB) and instead insert the images using the "Link to File" option. Graphics Manager confirms that the images are linbked into the file. The size should not be more than 500KB. Result? An 11MB file. Question is how can I insert images into a Publisher 2000 documentr without the file blowing up? And why does it blow up? Regards, Richard. Richard wrot...

Date format issue when submitting from a userform to a spreadsheet
Hi, I have a userform that I've generated which routes dates onto a spreadsheet based on the users input. I am having a bit of a frustrating time with the dates, it would appear that in the process of moving the date from the userform to the spreadsheet some dates are switched/transposed. I'll give an example. If someone enters 09/02/2004 on the userform excel seems to look at 09 and assume it is a month and transposes the dates to 02/09/2004(this does not appear to be a US/UK format issues as I have already gone down that road). However, if the date 13/09/2004 is entered i...

Front End Exchange 2003 OWA for a Back end 2000
Hey everybody, At the minute we're in the process of upgrading our 30 odd servers to Windows Server 2003. The Domain Controllers are still running Windows 2000. My question is : Can I install an Exchange 2003 OWA on a Windows Server 2003 to connect to an Exchange 2000 Server in a Windows 2000 Domain (Native Mode) Do I have to upgrade the whole domain first ? What about notions of Front End / Back End ? We would like to do this to benefit from the new OWA (As it's sooooo cool :)) Thanks for your replies, Mike You can use an E2K3 FE to connecto to an E2K BE, but you only get OW...

error sending from 5.5 to 2000
When a user sends from an exchange 5.5 mailbox to a user in exchange 2000, they receive the following error: The message was undeliverable because the recipient specified in the recipient postal address was not known at this address The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=Express-Scripts;l=TEMMS014-041001192533Z-210060 <mail5.express-scripts.com #5.1.1> The same user on the 5.5 server can send to other users on the 2000 server. I looked the error up in technet and got 3 kb articles with only 1, kb295377 being anything close to my problem. I checked the entr...

Outlook 2000 doesn't respond after downloading MS update!!
Luckily, my Outlook Express seems to work, but my Outlook 2000 will open, but if I click on a message or do Anything, it FREEZES. HELP!! I rely on calendar functions, other things. HOW could MS allow an update that screws up their own programs? I did restore - to no avail. I lent CD to someone, so can't do "repair." (Trying to get a hold of friend) Please help! I'm in process of job hunt & really need Outlook to function... Thanks, Sherry Did you recently apply SP3 for Office/Outlook 2000 and is Outlook 2000 configured in Internet Mail Only mode? If yes, you...

Multiple PST Files #2

How to reinstall or repair Windows Media Player 11
My Windows Media Player 11 is broken. It sounds horrible. The sound is garbled and no amount of adjustments change this. Previous attempts to get help fixing this have been unsuccessful. And now, if I burn MP3s with it, to a CD, the CD will not play in stand-alone players. It gives a No Disc message, though I can see that the disc has been burned. So... How about uninstalling it then reinstalling? Repairing it? Rolling back to an older version? I found these instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/readme.aspx#RollingbacktoapreviousversionofthePl...

Check correction patch for Microsoft Windows
--jgfiyombh Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="kgqnlddpakhbjo"; type="multipart/alternative" --kgqnlddpakhbjo Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="pdizbrrdstws" --pdizbrrdstws Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the securit...

Does a 'grace period' exist for Server CALs??
I am presently planning a new Win2k8 R2 DC/TS/AD/DNS server install. I know the TS/RDS CALs have a "grace period" which allows me time to obtain however many additional CALs we need. Does a similar "grace period" exist for the Server CALs per se?? If I don't have enough Server CALs (device) at the time of setting up the server and people's computers connecting to it via Terminal Services/Citrix, what will happen?? I haven't found anything searching the Internet... Thank you, Tom Hello tom12010, See here about the grace periods depending ...

office 2003 w/ windows 7 requires reacceptance ot T&C's each time
office 2003 w/ windows 7 requires reacceptance of T&C's each time i open work or excell or any office program. How do I get rid of this? Boot into Safe mode in Windows 7,open any Office app and then accept the terms -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "mouser830" <mouser830@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7B7602D-F5D8-4559-98EF-A2CCC1E2D6FD@microsoft.com... > office 2003 w/ windows 7 requires reacceptance of T&C's each time i op...

Excel 2000 macro security Level
Hi! I am running an ASP.NET application which ideally opens an Exce spreadsheet with a macro included in it. When I try opening spreadsheet without a macro, everything works fine, but with macros, i hangs on the opening command. I tried to go to Excel 2000 and go t Tools->Macros->Security Level->Low but it still hangs when I try t open the macro spreadsheet. All works fine with the spreadsheet no containing macros, so it really is a question of macro security. But put it to low, so I don't understand how it is still not opening!! An help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and...

Media Center takes up 98% processor
After a nice email from Microsoft I had a new look at media center and tried to push videos and pictures to my tv through xbox, this didnt work. I then installed sky player successfully. Then when closed MC down my system was very slow, I noticed in taskman that stdrt.exe was at 250mb and 98%. Ive tried a reboot which didnt work. I removed media center from windows in add remove windows components, after this process was still in memory after restart. It starts at about 5mb and quickly climbs up the ladder using 250mb and all the proccessor time. In order to use pc I have to end...

Issues Template
Hi i have downloaded the issues template to work in a vet office, but am not sure what the Add related issues is for on the Issues details form. i jus want to know what it does and its benefits It's unlikely that you'll get any help that requires anyone to download and analyyse someone else's guickie application. You'd do better to use the sample databases and tools that are provided with Access and ask questions based on them, instead. HTH -- -Larry- -- "Amin" <Amin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B20F4FC-2696-4724-8615-49...

Ex5.5 to Ex2003 intra org migration
Hi I have migrated from E5.5 to E2003 intra-Org migration and chose the option SID migration via ADMT during migration . I 've notice that both source domain and target domain accounts have been added to mailbox and public folder resources which doesn't appear to be a problem at the moment. However in the near future when I do decide to remove the source domain would I be left with "zombie" source domain accounts??? In addition, granted that I chose to migrate SID history what will be the result when the source Doman is remove. Will there be any performance impact ??...

Publisher 2000? #2
Is there a place where I can still get version 2000? I've been looking, but all I can find are updates and the 2007 trial. My computer can't run 2007. *If* if can be had, try something like eBay. (I wouldn't buy software that way but that's just my preference.) You may find you have better luck finding a leftover copy of Pub 2003 from some online retailers. (I actually prefer that over 2000.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

OL2003
I have a user who is trying to migrate his .pst file from one system to another. So he sent his pst file to himself using OL2002 but when he opens his e-mail in OL2003 the file is blocked. I found a list of files that are blocked and according to the list .pst isn't one of them. Does anybody have a better list that includes .pst files. Sure would make it easier to explain to the user With the research I have done so far this appears to cleary be a client issue and not an Exchange issue. I have no problem seeing the .pst and downloading it in OL2002. The only way so far that...

Work spreadsheet issue
If I have multiple rows of data on a worksheet and on another worksheet I want various counts of rows that have certain things in common, how would I do that? Thanks. -- jenrenea ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jenrenea's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23098 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=373900 Can you provide a sample of your data along with your expected results? -- Domenic ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Domenic's...

XP Look and Feel in Windows 2000 using ComCtrl32.dll
Hai I Want to have a XP Look and feel under windows2000 using VC++ and ComCtrl32.dll and does any one have any idea please help me as basically iam looking to develop a Skin Waiting for your reply suresh You will have to draw many of your own components. You could purchase a library like the one from www.codejock.com or www.dundas.com or or www.bcgsoft.com use something like this: These are for Office XP, but you'll get the idea. It's a ton of work: http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/officexp.asp Tom "suresh" <s...

7-bit and News Servers
Most of the messages that come here get the following news header fixed into them: Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I recently (15:16 Eastern, 2010.06.02, Wednesday) looked through various messages and noticed that the following people no longer post 7-bit. From: "Larry Serflaten" <serflaten at usinternet dot com> References: <1EDE11CE-8D50-4A18-B59C-95C45B849EFC@microsoft.com> Subject: Re: Instr problem in VB5 Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:12:35 -0500 Lines: 15 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1983 X-...

Lost .pst files
I am using Office XP with Outlook 2002 (SP2). I recently had a boot track failure on my old computer which had 2 hard drives, using the second drive as back-up storage. I bought a new computer and installed the old main drive (the one with the failed boot track) in my new computer as a second drive and copied all the data onto the new main drive. All data and software works except Outlook. I cannot find any .pst files on my old drive. Where could they be. BTW I use Matadore as a spam blocker. In article <014e01c3462e$561cbdf0$a101280a@phx.gbl>, daddyray01 @sport.rr.com say...