Messenger journaling to Outlook

I used to have an application years ago that would allow messenger to
write a new Journal each time which included all the message and the
time the chat took. Many years ago they stopped selling it as I think
it did not work with Outlook XP or 2003, I now have Outlook 2007.

I keep a lot of stuff in Outlook 2007 and would love to be able to do
this again so I can easily search chats.

I am not aware of any addin that does it that works with Outlook 2007.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Ian" <ian.spencer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I used to have an application years ago that would allow messenger to
> write a new Journal each time which included all the message and the
> time the chat took. Many years ago they stopped selling it as I think
> it did not work with Outlook XP or 2003, I now have Outlook 2007.
>
> I keep a lot of stuff in Outlook 2007 and would love to be able to do
> this again so I can easily search chats.

0
outlookmvp1 (464)
5/7/2008 4:18:29 AM
Thanks Diane,

It is a shame that it seems so logical that you would want an outlook
journal to record messenger conversation and time.

> I am not aware of any addin that does it that works with Outlook 2007.
Most users don't want or need to journal the IM logs - in fact, most people
don't even use journal, that's why its not visible by default on the nav
pane.  If the journal tool sold better you can bet the developer woulda
updated it for the newer versions.

Messenger keeps a log which is searchable by windows search tools and does
not require outlook to read (it's readable in notepad) which meets the needs
for most people who want their IM history. You can also copy and paste any
conversation from your IM client to the Notes field of a journal form if you
need it journaled in outlook.

--

> Thanks Diane,
>
> It is a shame that it seems so logical that you would want an outlook
> journal to record messenger conversation and time.
>
>> I am not aware of any addin that does it that works with Outlook 2007.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
5/7/2008 1:57:18 PM
Yeah I notice that Diane. By the way I apreciate you continuing to
respond to the newsgroup and help so many peopel.

I use the mapilab one for about 2 months then they stopped supporting
it.

The reason to record it for me is I use excahange server which means
it is available from all my computers and I just don't remember to put
it into a journal. Some days I am hours on messenger with multiple
people and I like to keep a record.

I reinstall or move computers from time to time and each time the
messenger files are unweildy.

Maybe Microsoft will drop Journals?

Ian

On May 7, 11:57=A0pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
> Most users don't want or need to journal the IM logs - in fact, most peopl=
> don't even use journal, that's why its not visible by default on the nav
> pane. =A0If the journal tool sold better you can bet the developer woulda
> updated it for the newer versions.
>
> Messenger keeps a log which is searchable by windows search tools and does=

> not require outlook to read (it's readable in notepad) which meets the nee=
ds
> for most people who want their IM history. You can also copy and paste any=

> conversation from your IM client to the Notes field of a journal form if y=
ou
> need it journaled in outlook.

Outlook connector for Domino and Lotus Notes mails #2
Hello, I am using The Outlook connector for Domino in order to access my e-mail in a Domino server via Outlook 2003, instead of the Lotus Notes R5 client. I have found out that all e-mails that I see in Outlook 2003 from people who use the Lotus Notes client have its Type property set to "Message (Rich Text)". So, each time I reply to such a message, Outlook decides to use "rich text" format to compose the answer. The problem is that I have looked at the configuration of the Lotus Notes clients and they are all setup to "Send messages as HTML". In addition, th...

Outlook 2003
I just installed Outlook 2003. When I add holidays it only adds through 2007. Is there an update to add 2008 and beyond? XYZ man See if the info here helps: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/missinghol.htm "XYZ Man" <lhafkin@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:uVauVSX5HHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I just installed Outlook 2003. When I add holidays it only adds through >2007. Is there an update to add 2008 and beyond? XYZ Man <lhafkin@cfl.rr.com> wrote: > I just installed Outlook 2003. When I add holidays it only adds > through 2007. Is there an ...

Tasks and Customize Outlook
I have set up a number of task categories and tasks under each one and would like for them to all show up on my Perssonal Folder. When I click on "Customize Outlook Today" to see if that will help, it does nothing. Any ideas. ...

Search: only index Outlook?
In Outlook 2007 it was telling me to install fast search. I did, but now I have a search bar in the task bar and it is indexing my entire harddrive. I ONLY want to search Outlook and not my harddrive. Is the any way to make this happen or do I just uninstall the search bar feature? Control panel, Indexing options and remove everything except outlook. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - ...

Microsoft Outlook rules problem.
I have spent the last 10 minutes using http://groups.google.co.uk to find a solution to my problem. Im surprised its never been discussed before. I am a home user with Outlook 2002. I have it configured to connect to my Demon POP3 mail server (Demon being a major ISP in the UK) I have a handful of rules set up to organise my incoming email automatically into various folders based on simple criteria. However, I do not have my computer connected all the time. When I connect (I use Broadband), all my emails comed down together. It appears as though my rules can't keep up with a sur...

Customize Outlook Today Won't Work
When I click on the icon "Customize Outlook Today" on my Outlook Today page, nothing happens. Normally I should be taken to a page where I can change the layout or theme of my Outlook Today page. I have Outlook 2000 on a maching running Windows XP Professional. According to Article 820575, you would have had to install critical update 813489 (Q813489) for this problem to occur. I'm having same problem --Customize outlook today link doesn't work but i've installed only sp1, Q810847, Q813951, Q818529, AND Q330994 for Microsoft Internet Explorer. Would it still ...

Can't Store Passwords in Outlook 2002
I have hit the save password button in Outlook 2002 but still cant save the passwords for easy access to my email please help. It acts as if the passwords were never saved. I seem to recall there is a fix for this. Thanks. ...

Printing a spreadsheet contained in an Outlook message
Within my company, I have multiple locations that report daily counts. I set up an Excel spreadsheet that captures all of this information. The file is set up and saved using the "Send To -> Mail Recipient" feature so the locations only have to plug in their numbers and click "Send this Sheet" so that the message is sent in it's open status rather than as a document (this is definitely easier for those who use this). This works very well for reporting purposes, but when those receiving the message want to print the message, Outlook does not seem to recogn...

Multiple instances of outlook.exe killing me
Is there any utility, patch, or technique that I can employ that prevents multiple instances of outlook.exe from running? I'm not talking about the issue of Outlook getting stuck in RAM after I close it; I'm talking about while it is running. I am seeing five, six, seven, eight, and more outlook.exes when I check the Processes tab of Task Manager. They are like coat hangers in the closet -- they seem to appear out of nowhere... -- Rick A. Pleasanton CA > Is there any utility, patch, or technique that I can employ that > prevents multiple instances of outlook.exe f...

Eingebundene Bilder in Outlook-HTML-Mail / embedded graphics in HTML
Hallo, hier mal eine vollst�ndige L�sung zum Versenden einer HTML-Mail mit eingebundenen Bildern aus Outlook 2000. Die L�sungsans�tze sind aus verschiedenen NG's. Es ist kein CDO-Verweis notwendig! VBA-Code in MS-Access 2000 Here a complete solution for sending a HTML mail with embedded graphics via Outlook 2000. The methods of solution are from different NG's. You don't need the CDO reference! VBA-Code with MS-Access 2000 '--- Start of Code --- Public Function sendOLEmbeddedHTMLGraphic(strSendTo As String, _ Optional strSendCC As Va...

Outlook for newsgroups #2
Is it possible to use Outlook 2003 as the application for newsgroups in stead of Outlook Express? Thx CreloX "CreloX" <crelox_bmw@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:utSpu94EGHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to use Outlook 2003 as the application for newsgroups in > stead of Outlook Express? > > Thx > CreloX No. -- John Blessing http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software priced to suit all businesses http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment bookings for your meeting/class over the web. http://www.lbetool...

Bug in Outlook 2007
There is a BUG in Outlook 2007 build 12.0.4518.1014. I have TWO profiles, and very often when I start with the non-Default one, and then close it and restart Outlook 2007, I no longer have a choice to select which profile to start it with. The only way to fix that is to go Task Manager, and manually kill OUTLOOK.EXE and then restart it. Then, it works fine. I hope they FIX this annoying problem. Where can I submit this bug to Microsoft? I looked all-over their website, but could not find it. P.S. I am running Vista Ultimate together with this setup. Michael Wexin <mystic...

Outlook 2003 Calendar *from* office *to* home
Hi, I have MS Outlook 2003 on a Win XP pro OS, synchronized to a corporate calendar via Oracle Connector, and I would like to do this (apparently) simple thing: Syncronize events FROM corporate calendar to my local calendar DO NOT Syncronize events FROM my local calendar to corporate calendar. In Outlook I just see a send/receive option, not just send and just receive separate option. Any hint is welcome Stefano ...

Relationship Betwee Exchange Mailbox SCL Setting and Outlook Spam Setting
At one of my clients I have set the Exchange Server SCL threshold at 8 and the mailbox threshold at 7 for the Intelligent Message Filter I have set the Junk Mail setting in the users' Outlook 2003 to 'low'. I have updated the Exchange Server and Outlook Intelligent Message Filters. My question is how does the mailbox threshold of 7 in Exchange interact/relate to a user's Outlook 2003 Junk Mail Setting of 'low' or 'medium'? I have never seen this described. Thank you in advance. -- Regards, Allan C Outlook (2003) Junk Mail feature does not interact wit...

Outlook Synchronization Error
Hi I have a problem trying to synchronize offline folders with the Exchange Server. I have a Exchange 5.5 - SP 4 (running on window 2000) and having problem with Outlook 2000(SR-1a) and 2002(SP2). When synchronization is completed, a synchronization log is created in the deleted folders as below. 12:12:00 Synchronizing Hierarchy 12:12:00 Synchronizing Favorites 12:12:00 Synchronizing Folder 'Inbox' 12:12:16 5 item(s) added to offline folder 12:12:16 Error synchronizing folder 12:12:16 [80004005-501-50A-550] 12:12:16 The client operation failed. 12:12:16 Microsoft ...

Outlook crashes constantly
I have a really weird problem. I was just trying to add a meeting to my calendar when I got an error message : "Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." So I checked the box restart Outlook and clicked on ok, but it happened again. In fact now it happens every time I try to run Outlook. I can start Outlook in safe mode without problems, I can access Calendar , Inbox , Tasks ... Every time I try to start in normal mode I get the error message. Tried to run scanpst - told me that it found some errors in pst file an...

Outlook 03 Exch 5.5 No Offline Sync after Upgrade
After upgrading from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2003, I'm no longer to sync offline with our corporate exchsrvr which is ver 5.5. I am connecting through a VPN, which previously worked fine. There are also other users that are unable to sync using Outlook 2003. Older versions of Outlook have no problems. What could be the problem? This is the best Microsoft can do! Not a lot help. But try creating a new connection. You Receive an Error Message When You Try to Synchronize Outlook Offline Folders View products that this article applies to. SYMPTOMS When you try to synchronize your Ou...

Read or sel message in outlook re-appears as new message on Blackb
Using Outlook 2007 on pc and Imap exchange server on blackberry A read or even just a selected message in inbox from outlook re-appears as new message on Blackberry. Searched the internet but no solution found yet.......... Verry anoying! Anyone a clue? Best regards George Why IMAP? -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "George AV" <George AV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F31E21F4-FC14-4D58-AF5D-ED5C3BE4F547@microsoft.com... > Using Outlook 2007 on pc ...

Import GROUPS from Outlook Express to Outlook
Just completed moving from Outlook Express 6 to Outlook 2002 SP3. Everything seemed to import successfully except my Group emails. The name of the Group transferred, but none of the email addresses of the Group transferred. The Group transferred basically as an empty shell with just a title. The emails did however transfer by themselves, but were not listed in the Groups. My question is this: is there a way to import into Outlook, an OE address book while maintaining the Groups that were listed in the OE address book? Any help will be greatly appreciated. No. It can't...

Outlook 2003 Auto Capatalize?
For some reason whenever I'm typing an email in outlook 2003, when I wrap a sentance to the next line it will automatically capatalize the first word in the new line and then underlines it showing me its wrong. I've checked my auto format options and they all seem to match the computers that are working properly. Does anyone know how to correct this? Thanks Ken rock_steady111@hotmail.com <rock_steady111@hotmail.com> wrote: > For some reason whenever I'm typing an email in outlook 2003, when I > wrap a sentance to the next line it will automatically capatalize the &...

Outlook 2007: Archive Function
Hello all. I'm having an issue with Outlook 2007 and the Archive function. When setting the 'Deleted Items' folder to 'Permanently Delete Old Items', I've noticed that Archive will not delete Folders in the bin. The Archive function has no problem with deleting 'Mail items' within the bin, just folders seem to be the problem. Does anyone know if this is the correct behavior with the above settings.. or a bug? I've been checking online for an answer but haven't come across anything close to this problem. Any pointers in the right direction w...

CRM Laptop Client for Outlook / Switching Connection Between Serv
We have 2 CRM3.0 servers, can users switch their laptop client for Outlook between those 2 servers despite that these servers contain different data? How? Will this override their local laptop data everytime? What are the best practices for such a scenario? Hi, You will need to re-install the laptop client with CRM 3.0 each time you want to switch servers. The best option would be to have a centralized server and have the laptop client configured to this server. HTH, Niths "luai7" wrote: > We have 2 CRM3.0 servers, can users switch their laptop client for Outlook >...

Set outlook as default mail client
When using Word 2007, get message to set outlook as default client. The instructions say go to tools, options, other, general. Then make outlook the default program for E-mail, contacts, and calendar. Problem: There is no general tab. I am trying to import contacts from Outlook to Word to make labels "Lou" <Lou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D857A80-337A-42F6-B3E1-8F2555AF1548@microsoft.com... > When using Word 2007, get message to set outlook as default client. The > instructions say go to tools, options, other, general. Then m...

Slow respond for open message from Outlook 2000 Client connected to Exchange 2003 server
Dear All, We have migrated the Exchange 2000 server to 2003 (active-passive cluster) for more than five months. Most of our client still using Outlook 2000 and work fine with the Exchanger 2003 server. However, few days before most user complained the Outlook client need long time to open a message (1MB size need around 1 minute to open). After investigation we found the Exchange server utilization and memory usage is normal, and this problem only occurred in Outlook 2000 client, but OWA and Outlook 2003 client still work normally. We have tried to restart the Exchange cluster, but...

OST/PST Size Limitation in Outlook 2003
I have read that Outlook 2003 supports greater OST and PST file sizes (greater than the 2Gig limitation of earlier versions of Outlook), but I haven't seen what this new file size can be. Does anyone know? I understand that the Outlook client must be on Exchange 2000/2003 in order to gain the new size capability. Is that true too? Thanks... Mike I believe it's only for Exchange 2003, with regard to the OST file. Mike Ballard wrote: > I have read that Outlook 2003 supports greater OST and > PST file sizes (greater than the 2Gig limitation of > earlier versions of Outloo...