Making custom form default for contacts

Hello:

I am a beginner with Outlook. I am a new hire in a department that uses 
Outlook contact information in a Word Mail Merge process. I am teaching 
myself how this all works, and have been doing ok, but I am struggling with 
forms, particularly the form used for contacts. I don't have any problems 
modifying the form (for example to add FirstName and LastName fields), but I 
am very confused about how to get Outlook to use my modified form instead of 
the default custom contacts form.

It seems to me that this should be a simple property setting, but I've had 
no luck tinkering with the various menu options. I've seen post suggesting 
registry changes are needed. Is it really this complicated to make my form 
the default? Any links to a tutorial on how to do this? Thanks!


-- 
Fred Boer - Amateur Access Enthusiast
Interests: Library software / Z39.50 / Web Services
Freeware Small Library Application available here:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/lornarourke/



0
fredboer1 (8)
6/21/2009 3:11:54 AM
outlook 87535 articles. 11 followers. Follow

4 Replies
329 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 27

Ok, I am closer... I was confused by the behaviour of the forms.  I *have* 
been able to modify a form and then set it as the default. I have tested 
this and when I add a new contact, the modified form is used. BUT... when I 
click on an *existing* contact, it doesn't use the new "default" form, but 
uses a different (older) form. Shouldn't all contacts use the "default" 
form? This behaviour had convinced me that my forms weren't being used as 
the "default" - when older contacts didn't display using the modified form, 
I assumed the "default" had not been set.

So, does setting the "default" form only apply then to new contacts? If so, 
how do I force/import the older contacts to use the new form?

Thanks!
Fred

"Fred Boer" <fredboer1@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message 
news:%23XFKG4h8JHA.200@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hello:
>
> I am a beginner with Outlook. I am a new hire in a department that uses 
> Outlook contact information in a Word Mail Merge process. I am teaching 
> myself how this all works, and have been doing ok, but I am struggling 
> with forms, particularly the form used for contacts. I don't have any 
> problems modifying the form (for example to add FirstName and LastName 
> fields), but I am very confused about how to get Outlook to use my 
> modified form instead of the default custom contacts form.
>
> It seems to me that this should be a simple property setting, but I've had 
> no luck tinkering with the various menu options. I've seen post suggesting 
> registry changes are needed. Is it really this complicated to make my form 
> the default? Any links to a tutorial on how to do this? Thanks!
>
>
> -- 
> Fred Boer - Amateur Access Enthusiast
> Interests: Library software / Z39.50 / Web Services
> Freeware Small Library Application available here:
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/lornarourke/
>
>
> 


0
fredboer1 (8)
6/21/2009 3:39:44 AM
A contact is assigned a "MessageClass" at the time of creation (the 
<default> for the folder) which is used when the item is displayed. You'll 
need a 3rd party utility to change the MessageClass for any contacts that 
existed prior to changing the <Default> for the folder. Either of the 2 free 
utilities below will do what you need:

ContactGenie Message Class Modifier
http://www.contactgenie.com/cgtmcm.htm

DocMessageClass
http://www.publicshareware.com/public-share-outlook-utilities.php

Karl
___________________________________________________
Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
http://www.contactgenie.com




"Fred Boer" <fredboer1@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message 
news:uBtSwHi8JHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Ok, I am closer... I was confused by the behaviour of the forms.  I *have* 
> been able to modify a form and then set it as the default. I have tested 
> this and when I add a new contact, the modified form is used. BUT... when 
> I click on an *existing* contact, it doesn't use the new "default" form, 
> but uses a different (older) form. Shouldn't all contacts use the 
> "default" form? This behaviour had convinced me that my forms weren't 
> being used as the "default" - when older contacts didn't display using the 
> modified form, I assumed the "default" had not been set.
>
> So, does setting the "default" form only apply then to new contacts? If 
> so, how do I force/import the older contacts to use the new form?
>
> Thanks!
> Fred
>
> "Fred Boer" <fredboer1@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message 
> news:%23XFKG4h8JHA.200@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Hello:
>>
>> I am a beginner with Outlook. I am a new hire in a department that uses 
>> Outlook contact information in a Word Mail Merge process. I am teaching 
>> myself how this all works, and have been doing ok, but I am struggling 
>> with forms, particularly the form used for contacts. I don't have any 
>> problems modifying the form (for example to add FirstName and LastName 
>> fields), but I am very confused about how to get Outlook to use my 
>> modified form instead of the default custom contacts form.
>>
>> It seems to me that this should be a simple property setting, but I've 
>> had no luck tinkering with the various menu options. I've seen post 
>> suggesting registry changes are needed. Is it really this complicated to 
>> make my form the default? Any links to a tutorial on how to do this? 
>> Thanks!
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> Fred Boer - Amateur Access Enthusiast
>> Interests: Library software / Z39.50 / Web Services
>> Freeware Small Library Application available here:
>> http://www3.sympatico.ca/lornarourke/
>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
karl2806 (33)
6/21/2009 10:57:58 AM
Dear Karl:

Thank you very much. I will be trying this out later today. Obviously the 
forms in Outlook are quite unlike forms I am used to in Microsoft Access!

Cheers!
Fred

"Karl Timmermans" <karl@claxton.com> wrote in message 
news:uc83l8l8JHA.1492@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>A contact is assigned a "MessageClass" at the time of creation (the 
><default> for the folder) which is used when the item is displayed. You'll 
>need a 3rd party utility to change the MessageClass for any contacts that 
>existed prior to changing the <Default> for the folder. Either of the 2 
>free utilities below will do what you need:
>
> ContactGenie Message Class Modifier
> http://www.contactgenie.com/cgtmcm.htm
>
> DocMessageClass
> http://www.publicshareware.com/public-share-outlook-utilities.php
>
> Karl
> ___________________________________________________
> Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
> ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> http://www.contactgenie.com
>
>
>
>
> "Fred Boer" <fredboer1@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message 
> news:uBtSwHi8JHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Ok, I am closer... I was confused by the behaviour of the forms.  I 
>> *have* been able to modify a form and then set it as the default. I have 
>> tested this and when I add a new contact, the modified form is used. 
>> BUT... when I click on an *existing* contact, it doesn't use the new 
>> "default" form, but uses a different (older) form. Shouldn't all contacts 
>> use the "default" form? This behaviour had convinced me that my forms 
>> weren't being used as the "default" - when older contacts didn't display 
>> using the modified form, I assumed the "default" had not been set.
>>
>> So, does setting the "default" form only apply then to new contacts? If 
>> so, how do I force/import the older contacts to use the new form?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Fred
>>
>> "Fred Boer" <fredboer1@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message 
>> news:%23XFKG4h8JHA.200@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I am a beginner with Outlook. I am a new hire in a department that uses 
>>> Outlook contact information in a Word Mail Merge process. I am teaching 
>>> myself how this all works, and have been doing ok, but I am struggling 
>>> with forms, particularly the form used for contacts. I don't have any 
>>> problems modifying the form (for example to add FirstName and LastName 
>>> fields), but I am very confused about how to get Outlook to use my 
>>> modified form instead of the default custom contacts form.
>>>
>>> It seems to me that this should be a simple property setting, but I've 
>>> had no luck tinkering with the various menu options. I've seen post 
>>> suggesting registry changes are needed. Is it really this complicated to 
>>> make my form the default? Any links to a tutorial on how to do this? 
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> Fred Boer - Amateur Access Enthusiast
>>> Interests: Library software / Z39.50 / Web Services
>>> Freeware Small Library Application available here:
>>> http://www3.sympatico.ca/lornarourke/
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
fredboer1 (8)
6/21/2009 12:49:23 PM
Thank you for telling me about this - and for making it available! Worked 
great!

Fred

"Karl Timmermans" <karl@claxton.com> wrote in message 
news:uc83l8l8JHA.1492@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>A contact is assigned a "MessageClass" at the time of creation (the 
><default> for the folder) which is used when the item is displayed. You'll 
>need a 3rd party utility to change the MessageClass for any contacts that 
>existed prior to changing the <Default> for the folder. Either of the 2 
>free utilities below will do what you need:
>
> ContactGenie Message Class Modifier
> http://www.contactgenie.com/cgtmcm.htm
>
> DocMessageClass
> http://www.publicshareware.com/public-share-outlook-utilities.php
>
> Karl
> ___________________________________________________
> Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
> ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> http://www.contactgenie.com
>
>
>
>
> "Fred Boer" <fredboer1@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message 
> news:uBtSwHi8JHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Ok, I am closer... I was confused by the behaviour of the forms.  I 
>> *have* been able to modify a form and then set it as the default. I have 
>> tested this and when I add a new contact, the modified form is used. 
>> BUT... when I click on an *existing* contact, it doesn't use the new 
>> "default" form, but uses a different (older) form. Shouldn't all contacts 
>> use the "default" form? This behaviour had convinced me that my forms 
>> weren't being used as the "default" - when older contacts didn't display 
>> using the modified form, I assumed the "default" had not been set.
>>
>> So, does setting the "default" form only apply then to new contacts? If 
>> so, how do I force/import the older contacts to use the new form?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Fred
>>
>> "Fred Boer" <fredboer1@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message 
>> news:%23XFKG4h8JHA.200@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I am a beginner with Outlook. I am a new hire in a department that uses 
>>> Outlook contact information in a Word Mail Merge process. I am teaching 
>>> myself how this all works, and have been doing ok, but I am struggling 
>>> with forms, particularly the form used for contacts. I don't have any 
>>> problems modifying the form (for example to add FirstName and LastName 
>>> fields), but I am very confused about how to get Outlook to use my 
>>> modified form instead of the default custom contacts form.
>>>
>>> It seems to me that this should be a simple property setting, but I've 
>>> had no luck tinkering with the various menu options. I've seen post 
>>> suggesting registry changes are needed. Is it really this complicated to 
>>> make my form the default? Any links to a tutorial on how to do this? 
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> Fred Boer - Amateur Access Enthusiast
>>> Interests: Library software / Z39.50 / Web Services
>>> Freeware Small Library Application available here:
>>> http://www3.sympatico.ca/lornarourke/
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
fredboer1 (8)
6/22/2009 12:18:21 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Merging Duplicate Contacts
Is there an option in V3.0 to merge selected accounts/contacts/leads that have been selected as duplicates? yes, from the Contact List or from an Advanced Find for contacts, you can select multiple contacts and click the Merge icon at the top of the list (the merge icon looks like two small pieces of paper becoming one larger piece of paper). When you click it, a merge dialog will appear and help you with the process. Sorry for the weak description of the icon by the way :) Dave "Mandy" <Mandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32468F52-66E7-4738-9148-5...

customizing quote merge template
I have 2 major problems that I just cannot seem to be able to resolve. When using the mail merge template to do a quote it seems that there are only a very limited range of "fields" that are made available to the user. These DO NOT include the actual accounts "Address" only shipping and billing address - 99% of our clients don't use these address's so all our data is in "Address_line1" etc Neither do the fields for "product description" appear in the list only the products name. All our quotes have always included a short four or five line desc...

Customize Current View: Filter Problem
Hello, Using Outlook 2002, I have created a category called "Hidden" i outlook. In my calendar, I put all the appointments I don't want t appear in this calendar (i.e. daily reminders). I then filter out all these "Hidden" items by selecting -- View--> Current View--> Customize Current View--> Filter--> More Choices--> Categories--> Hidden (the category I created)--> OK--> SQL--> Edit these criteria directly--> And then I change: ("DAV:isfolder" = false AND "DAV:ishidden" = false) AN ("urn:schemas-microsoft...

I want to unlock my word doc to make changes its protected
I am writing a word document the other night. I went to carry on with it tonight but found it has protected the document and won't let me continue writing or editing Word 2007? Assuming that you have activated Office, it seems your trial version of the application has expired. Time to pay the piper! -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> ...

Customizing AdvisorFYI
I have an account for some stock options in a privately-owned company. Approximately monthly, AdvisorFYI keeps telling me, "It's time to update your investment prices in Money." There isn't a price update that often. Is there a way to turn this message off without turning of the other useful AdvisorFYI Investment warnings? ...

Resolving Email Address to existing contact problem
Has anyone else come across this issue in MSCRM3.0? - when you attempt to resolve an email address to an existing contact in CRM (that does not currently have an email address stored in their details) the contact resolves OK but does not update the email address in the contacts details. Is this by design, or have I found a bug? ...

Word2007. Checkbox. No Form
Hello! We have a document (not a form) that we would like to use checkboxes in. This document has a couple of sections where it would be useful if the user could check if something is applicable. We can't protect the whole document. Thank you for your help! Stacey I actually used this feature in a form this morning. Although you don't say what version of Word you are using, you can access the Control Toolbox toolbar in Word 2003, or in Word 2007, it is on Developer tab. To show the developer tab, click the Microsoft Office Button and then click Word Options. S...

Unable to click customizing outlook today button
Unbable to click the customising outlook today button for Outlook 2000 install in the windows xp profession machine. I have updated the office 200 patch 3. But it seem remain the same problem. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;820575 might be helpful. -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "Clarence" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06d101c3c939$78175620$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Unbable to click the customising outlook today button for > Outlook 200...

custom field for projects with tasks past due
I am wondering how/what formula would be needed for creating a custom field at the project level to show when a project has at least one task that is past due. I have a custom field at the task level (IIf([Finish]<[Current Date] And [% Complete]<100,1,2)) that will show when an individual task is overdue, but I want to add a custom field to the Project Center > Summary view to show when a project has any overdue tasks. The PM can then drill down from there into the project and see exactly what tasks are overdue. Once I figure out the formula for this I want to assign ...

Multiple copies of email in "Forward to"contact
HIe, I am running Exchnage 2003. My CEO has a conatct in our organisation that refer to his blackberry contact. I have set the forwarding to also keep a copy in his mailbox. What happens is that three copies of his forwarded email hit his blackberry account! Only one hits his internal mailbox. What I ahve determined is that the front end Exchange server seems to be creating the additional copies. Is this how its meant to be (don think so cos its such a nuisance and my CEO keeps complaining about it). How do I tell the front end server that this guy's mail server is the one that...

Non-VBA way of making custom menus.
Sorry for the new thread but even on Google, the thread isn't showing up. Well, it was SOOO easy, as I knew it would be. The webpage I quoted in my message this morning didn't mention the "New Menu" at all! So, here is the non-VBA way to create a custom menu: - TOOLS > CUSTOMIZE - under the categories available choose NEW MENU and then drag the NEW MENU option under the Commands window up to the menu bar (like D'UH!! <lol> Wish all those hours spent searching yielded webpages that gave this! <g>) - THEN one can go back to the MACROS category a few line...

Input to custom reports
Hello, I'd like to be able to input values to a custom report like the Year. Is there any way to package a custom report and provide input to it? Every year the user has to go into the custom report and change the Year restriction. Alternatively, (this is a payroll report), is there any global variable or some other back door that I can use to get the current year in a custom report? Given the report writer may not be the ticket what would the recommendation be to create custom reports that require input? VB.NET? -- Russ Using VBA you can allow for input in the custom reports. B...

Getting the BCC field by default.
I would like the BCC field to show by default but cannot find the setting for this in 2007. Anyone know where this is located? In a new message window, use the Options chunk to display the "Show BCC." --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, JC HARRIS asked: | I would like the BCC field to show by default but cannot find the | setting for this in 2007. Anyone know where this is located? Thanks Milly. I had...

Associating Multiple Existing Contacts to an Account, Until CRM 2.x
I have racked my pea-sized brain for endless days for a way to associate multiple existing contacts (or accounts) to an account. My client has accounts that have many contacts (or accounts) involved at different stages of acquiring a new account. The logical method would be to add a custom attribute with lookup functionality into the existing CRM contact or account objects but this is not possible with CRM 1.x. The resulting UI would allow an end user to associate different contacts (or accounts) to an account. Example: Account: ABC - AccountPhysician: (existing account or con...

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0
Hi When you try to change the campaign response views to have customer as sorting CRM gives an error. You can't even click on customer column to sort when it's now customer that is default sorting. Is this a bug ? same here. I think its a bug "Help needed" wrote: > Hi > > When you try to change the campaign response views to have customer as > sorting CRM gives an error. You can't even click on customer column to sort > when it's now customer that is default sorting. > > Is this a bug ? > > > > ...

Customer check data
When customers pay by check RMS asks for specific information such as drivers license number, routing number, account number, address and phone number. Does anyone have a report and or a way to extract this info from the database for cases when the check is returned for NSF? Please advise, Scott We can write you this report. Contact me for detail on price . Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealm.co.uk ] CEO - Retail Realm = = = = = = = = = = "Scott Santorio" <scott@tt-newyork.com> wrote in message news:e8ZKkR6$HHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > When customers pa...

I would like to know how to set up a 'fill in the blanks' form?
I would like to set up a templet of sorts to fill in the blanks for certificates. ...

how to make macro work even a sheet is hidden.
hello there I have macro assigned to a button in Sheet 1 which goes to sheet 2. Press a button to Refresh and then PRINT preview It does work in normal state. I do not want the user to see the Sheet 2. I hid sheets from Format-sheet-hide. but the macro is not working when sheet 2 is hidden. how to overcome this error "can't execute code in break mode" the macro code is Sub Print_Preview() Sheets("PaySlips2009-10").Select Application.Run "'Latest 2009Payslip.xls'!Sheet2.HURows" ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintPreview ...

Contacts Search
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Email Client: pop I recently deleted some vital Microsoft files, I reinstalled the package and my backup emails, contacts etc, the only problem is that if I do a quick search in contacts it brings up totally unrelated contact and not the contact I was originally looking for ?? On 1/31/10 4:01 AM, in article 59bb1f13.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "David_Marriott@officeformac.com" <David_Marriott@officeformac.com> wrote: > I recently deleted some vital Microsoft files, I reinstalled the package and > my backu...

how do I import my contacts from IncrediMail 2.0 to MOutlook2007
I am new to using microsoft outlook 2007 and am searching for a way to upload my contact list, from Incredimail 2.0 to Outlook 2007. Any help would be definitely appreciated, thanks! How do I save my IncrediMail Address Book and move it to a different location? http://help.incredimail.com/incredimail/help_center/help_article.aspx?is=t&article_id=67&lang_id=9 In Outlook - File --> Import and Export ... import the CSV file created via process noted above Karl -- ____________________________________________________________ Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group Co...

Macro to change default setting on startup
I am in need of a macro that can change a default setting in excel and for it to run on startup The task is: Tools Options General Web Options Files uncheck Update links on save Below is the recording of the macro: With ActiveWorkbook.WebOptions ..RelyOnCSS = True ..OrganizeInFolder = True ..UseLongFileNames = True ..DownloadComponents = False ..RelyOnVML = False ..AllowPNG = False ..ScreenSize = msoScreenSize800x600 ..PixelsPerInch = 96 ..Encoding = msoEncodingWestern End With With Application.DefaultWebOptions ..SaveHiddenData = True ..LoadPictures = True ....

Picture control on a form
What is the best way to fill a form with a picture control so that when the client window is resized the picture control will fill the form? -- Just Al Take a look at this and see if this is what you want: http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/bmpdlg01.asp Tom "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BEA0FA2-3F95-4090-B908-A75DBF1D19DE@microsoft.com... > What is the best way to fill a form with a picture control so that when > the > client window is resized the picture control will fill the form? > -- > Just Al Thank You! -- Just Al &...

Null value in form not trapped by beforeupdate event
I have a form in Access 2003 linked to a SQL Server 2005 table. When I clear the value in a textbox (bound field is varchar and is required), I want the before update event to run to tell the user the value cannot be null. When I press the tab button to move to the next field after clearing the texbox, the before update event is not triggering and instead I'm getting the following error: You tried to assign the Null value to a variable that is not a Variant data type. (Error 3162) How can I prevent nulls before and this error from triggering? Thanks! ...

Clearing "Custom Footer" box
Is there a way to delete the contents of the "Custom Footer" option when going through the "Page Setup" menu? I would like to clear out all previously created custom footers and start fresh. Thanks. TC T Crosby, Go to FILE>PAGE SETUP>HEADER/FOOTER, click on the "Custom Footer button. A new dialog box will appear with three panes. Highlight th contents in each pane (one pane at a time) and hit delete. Hope this helps Case -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You have some responses at your other post. T Crosby wrote: > > Is there a wa...

Start macro creating a mail with contact data and autotext
Hallo, I am working with an user form. The developing of that form started with Outlook XP with a lot of code inside for different buttons. I changed to Outlook 2007 and unfortunately the code of the form was not longer displayed. What I learned about this is that MS does not support to much code in the form (or maybe a bug). They also do not support any longer. I was sending this form to MS support but they told it is do much code inside and they do not know, why the code is not displayed. In Outlook 2003 the code is displayed as in Outlook XP. Because I do not know real...