Mail Rules #7

I have recently been deluged with emails marked "Delivery Status
Notification" or similar (maybe 20-30 a day).

Is it possible to create a rule in outlook which deletes all mails apart
from those addressed to specific addresses (e.g. abc@..com and zyx@..com)?

Also can this same rule be used in OE as I use that at home?

Thank you

In news:444a348f$0$8343$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk,
Tony <dont.email@me.please> typed:
> I have recently been deluged with emails marked "Delivery Status
> Notification" or similar (maybe 20-30 a day).

Are these DSNs for messages you yourself tried to send, or are they perhaps
the result of some spammer or virus spoofing your e-mail address as sender?

> Is it possible to create a rule in outlook which deletes all mails
> apart from those addressed to specific addresses (e.g. abc@..com and
> zyx@..com)?

Not likely - I can't imagine how you'd keep that list maintained anyway. You
don't mention your version of Outlook, but if you're using OL2003 you might
use a search folder (query) to identify and deal with all such messages - so
you can delete them en masse.

> Also can this same rule be used in OE as I use that at home?

No - rules are entirely different in OE.

> Thank you

0
lanwench (7567)
4/22/2006 3:23:43 PM
>> I have recently been deluged with emails marked "Delivery Status
>> Notification" or similar (maybe 20-30 a day).
>
> Are these DSNs for messages you yourself tried to send, or are they
> perhaps the result of some spammer or virus spoofing your e-mail address
> as sender?

The latter. I'm not sure if it's a spammer or virus.

>> Is it possible to create a rule in outlook which deletes all mails
>> apart from those addressed to specific addresses (e.g. abc@..com and
>> zyx@..com)?
>
> Not likely - I can't imagine how you'd keep that list maintained anyway.
> You don't mention your version of Outlook, but if you're using OL2003 you
> might use a search folder (query) to identify and deal with all such
> messages - so you can delete them en masse.

I'm using OL2002

>> Also can this same rule be used in OE as I use that at home?
>
> No - rules are entirely different in OE.
>>
>> Thank you

0
no.emails (4)
4/23/2006 12:05:42 PM

In news:444b6db0$0$460$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk,
Tony <no.emails@thankyou.verymuch> typed:
>>> I have recently been deluged with emails marked "Delivery Status
>>> Notification" or similar (maybe 20-30 a day).
>>
>> Are these DSNs for messages you yourself tried to send, or are they
>> perhaps the result of some spammer or virus spoofing your e-mail
>> address as sender?
>
> The latter. I'm not sure if it's a spammer or virus.
>>

>>> Is it possible to create a rule in outlook which deletes all mails
>>> apart from those addressed to specific addresses (e.g. abc@..com and
>>> zyx@..com)?
>>
>> Not likely - I can't imagine how you'd keep that list maintained
>> anyway. You don't mention your version of Outlook, but if you're
>> using OL2003 you might use a search folder (query) to identify and
>> deal with all such messages - so you can delete them en masse.
>
> I'm using OL2002

So you don't have search folders, but you could still create a rule to
delete all these messages or move them to another folder.

>>> Also can this same rule be used in OE as I use that at home?
>>
>> No - rules are entirely different in OE.
>>>
>>> Thank you

0
lanwench (7567)
4/23/2006 3:23:07 PM
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> In news:444b6db0$0$460$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk,
> Tony <no.emails@thankyou.verymuch> typed:
>>>
>>> Are these DSNs for messages you yourself tried to send, or are they
>>> perhaps the result of some spammer or virus spoofing your e-mail
>>> address as sender?
>>
>> The latter. I'm not sure if it's a spammer or virus.

>>> Not likely - I can't imagine how you'd keep that list maintained
>>> anyway. You don't mention your version of Outlook, but if you're
>>> using OL2003 you might use a search folder (query) to identify and
>>> deal with all such messages - so you can delete them en masse.
>>
>> I'm using OL2002
>
> So you don't have search folders, but you could still create a rule to
> delete all these messages or move them to another folder.

Each of the DSN's is addressed to a different three/four letter prefix of my
email address (e.g. hrvx@....com, dpmx@....com) so I can move them manually
but I can't imagine a rule that would do this.

btw thanks for your interest

>>> No - rules are entirely different in OE.

0
no.emails (4)
4/24/2006 9:36:41 AM

In news:444c9c45$0$8340$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk,
Tony <no.emails@thankyou.verymuch> typed:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:%233r1%23yuZGHA.1348@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>

>> In news:444b6db0$0$460$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk,
>> Tony <no.emails@thankyou.verymuch> typed:

>>> The latter. I'm not sure if it's a spammer or virus.

>>> I'm using OL2002
>>
>> So you don't have search folders, but you could still create a rule
>> to delete all these messages or move them to another folder.
>
> Each of the DSN's is addressed to a different three/four letter
> prefix of my email address (e.g. hrvx@....com, dpmx@....com) so I can
> move them manually but I can't imagine a rule that would do this.

I think you can use a rule that looks for hrvx@ in the message
headers....but I'd probably look at the sender instead (system
administrator).

> btw thanks for your interest

0
lanwench (7567)
4/24/2006 4:07:23 PM
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> In news:444c9c45$0$8340$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk,
> Tony <no.emails@thankyou.verymuch> typed:
>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>> message news:%233r1%23yuZGHA.1348@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>

>>> In news:444b6db0$0$460$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk,
>>> Tony <no.emails@thankyou.verymuch> typed:

>>> So you don't have search folders, but you could still create a rule
>>> to delete all these messages or move them to another folder.
>>
>> Each of the DSN's is addressed to a different three/four letter
>> prefix of my email address (e.g. hrvx@....com, dpmx@....com) so I can
>> move them manually but I can't imagine a rule that would do this.
>
> I think you can use a rule that looks for hrvx@ in the message
> headers....but I'd probably look at the sender instead (system
> administrator).

The from and the to email address' are always different. The only thing they
always have in common is my domain.

My email is configured to pick up anything @ my domain.net

>> btw thanks for your interest

0
no.emails (4)
4/25/2006 2:01:19 PM

In news:444e2bce$0$8337$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk,
Tony <no.emails@thankyou.verymuch> typed:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

<snip>

>>> Each of the DSN's is addressed to a different three/four letter
>>> prefix of my email address (e.g. hrvx@....com, dpmx@....com) so I
>>> can move them manually but I can't imagine a rule that would do
>>> this.
>>
>> I think you can use a rule that looks for hrvx@ in the message
>> headers....but I'd probably look at the sender instead (system
>> administrator).
>
> The from and the to email address' are always different. The only
> thing they always have in common is my domain.

I just created a rule (starting with a blank rule, from scratch) - to delete
all new mail from System Administrator. It worked. Did you try this?

> My email is configured to pick up anything @ my domain.net

You're always going to get a ton more spam if you use a 'blind forward' or
wildcard account like that. I would suggest changing it....

>>> btw thanks for your interest

<snip>

0
lanwench (7567)
4/25/2006 2:43:19 PM
I have adjusted my email account settings to only forward mail addressed to
sales@, info@, etc and this has put a stop to the random prefixes that my
catchall settings were collecting.

Thanks

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> In news:444c9c45$0$8340$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk,
> Tony <no.emails@thankyou.verymuch> typed:
>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>> message news:%233r1%23yuZGHA.1348@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>

>>> In news:444b6db0$0$460$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk,
>>> Tony <no.emails@thankyou.verymuch> typed:

>>> So you don't have search folders, but you could still create a rule
>>> to delete all these messages or move them to another folder.
>>
>> Each of the DSN's is addressed to a different three/four letter
>> prefix of my email address (e.g. hrvx@....com, dpmx@....com) so I can
>> move them manually but I can't imagine a rule that would do this.
>
> I think you can use a rule that looks for hrvx@ in the message
> headers....but I'd probably look at the sender instead (system
> administrator).
>

>> btw thanks for your interest

0
no.emails (4)
5/1/2006 4:44:52 PM

In news:44563b36$0$2596$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk,
Tony <no.emails@thankyou.verymuch> typed:
> I have adjusted my email account settings to only forward mail
> addressed to sales@, info@, etc and this has put a stop to the random
> prefixes that my catchall settings were collecting.

Glad to hear it. Blind forwards are the devil, when it comes to spam.

> Thanks
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:uENwJo7ZGHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>

>> In news:444c9c45$0$8340$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk,
>> Tony <no.emails@thankyou.verymuch> typed:
>>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>>> message news:%233r1%23yuZGHA.1348@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

>>> Each of the DSN's is addressed to a different three/four letter
>>> prefix of my email address (e.g. hrvx@....com, dpmx@....com) so I
>>> can move them manually but I can't imagine a rule that would do
>>> this.
>>
>> I think you can use a rule that looks for hrvx@ in the message
>> headers....but I'd probably look at the sender instead (system
>> administrator).
>>

>>> btw thanks for your interest

0
lanwench (7567)