Macro help to shorten "Save As" for emails

In a perfect world I would be able to create a macro that
looks at an email (like a rule does) and "Save As" to a
file folder on our server (not an exchange folder). I've
done a search in this newsgroup to no avail. One person
asked but they were using Express.

I have Outlook 2003. Any suggestions, code you can share
or links you can recommend?

Thanks to all.

scrowley@littleonline.com
0
anonymous (74722)

At its most basic, a VBA procedure you could run as a rule action in Outlook
2002 or 2003 to save the message as an .msg file could be:

Public Sub SaveAsSomething(MyMail as MailItem)
    Dim strPath
    strPath = "Z:\SharedFolder\"
    MyMail.SaveAs strPath & MyMail.Subject, olMsg
End Sub

To do it right, though, you'd want to check for the existence of a file with
the same name before you save and come up with some scheme for making the
file names unique. You'd also need to strip characters that can't be used in
file names but can be used in message subjects. (HINT: Use Replace())

FYI, there is a newsgroup specifically for general Outlook programming
issues "down the hall" at microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba or, via web
interface, at
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"lynxwoman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In a perfect world I would be able to create a macro that
> looks at an email (like a rule does) and "Save As" to a
> file folder on our server (not an exchange folder). I've
> done a search in this newsgroup to no avail. One person
> asked but they were using Express.
>
> I have Outlook 2003. Any suggestions, code you can share
> or links you can recommend?
>
> Thanks to all.
>
> scrowley@littleonline.com

0
suemvp (4038)

Save as CSV isn't saving comma delimited, but is using semi-colon.
Save as CSV isn't saving comma delimited, but is using semi-colon... How do I get it to save using commas only (,)? (I'm using semicolons for other delimitations and so can't just do a global replace.) Thanks so much for your help! Hi Excel uses your Windows regional settings for saving CSV files. Also ho should an importing program of this CSV file know whether it is the list separator or one of your other separators? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany CCinItly wrote: > Save as CSV isn't saving comma delimited, but is using semi-colon... > How do I get it ...

Difference between Publish and Save As Web Page in Excel 2002
I am trying to find aout the differences between using the Publish button in Save as Web Page and using Save in there. I have seen that when I use Save, it saves the Named ranges as bookmarks where Publish saves them as cell references. Can you tell me why and if there are any other differences I may need to know Hi, when you publish, the result can be viewed as an excel web page, whereas if you "save as web page", it just makes an xml sheet. Save As only allows one sheet in the workbook whereas publish allows more. - mark >-----Original Message----- >I am trying t...

How to change the "Save As" default path
When I open a preexisting file in Excel and choose to save it under a new name, "Save As", the default path displayed is "C:\My Documents". How can I set it so that the path displayed is the last one accessed? Go to Tools|Options Choose the General Tab Change the file path for the default file location You'll need to know the whole path ahead of time because you have to type it out yourself If you have folder set to display the whole file path in the address bar, I'd suggest navigating to that folder in Explorer, then copying the whole path You can set folders ...

Use Save As or Save Query?
I've got an Access Database table with several thousand entries. I applied a filter to get me a sub-set of entries that I want to export into Excel. When I click Save As, it pops up with a box that's totally unfamilar to me. What I think I need to do is save the new table I created with the filter as a different name than the table I started from so I don't accidentally wipe out previous information. But I'm clueless on how to do this. Help! Thanks! On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 11:00:02 -0700, Historian <Historian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I've got an Acce...

Save as .csv file removes trailing 00
Hi all. I have a XL sheet with one column containing tekst and values. It is partnumbers. Some of these starts with trailing nulls (the number 0). Like 00AB25 or 00056P-SDF. It is populated from SQL Server 2000 varchar(30) field. When I save as .csv file XL removes the trailing 0's and the partnumber in the csv file changes to AB25 and 56P-SDF. Any ideas how to avoid this? thanx. geir If you save as a TEXT file (instead of CSV), using a comma as the delimiter and double quotes as the text delimiter, it should have an extension of TXT rather than CSV. Now when you open the file,...

Save as Picture > Distorts Fonts
Hi, Stuart - To make quick "signs" that I show as a Powerpoint loop on a flat screen, I use Publisher about half the time. It is quick. The text does come out ,erm, NOT crisp. To improve the resolution somewhat, I have found that if I make the whole "sign" really big, and then plug it into any photo program to resize there and save it as a jpg, it comes out a bit better. It works better to apply text in the photo program. (I often copy text I have typed in Publisher and paste it into the photo program text editor -- and do "surgery" on it there!) M. &quo...

save as pipe delimited
hi, please help me in this, it is an urgent requirement. i have an excel file with several columns of data, spanning over 6500 rows. i would like to extract the data to a file with the data separated wit a pipe '|' character, instead of tab or comma. can this be done? if so, how do i go about achieving this? thanks in advance, mac -- icestationzbr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- icestationzbra's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=458 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threa...

Save as Text File with Semi-Colon delimiter
I need to save a file from Excel 2000 to a text file with a semi colon delimiter. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Many Thanks Mark I don't know if you can do this directly in Excel but it is pretty quick to do it using Excel and Word 1) Save file in Excel as "Text (Tab Deliminated) 2) Close file and select NO on warning message 3) Open text file in Wor 4) If your data was across row 1 then use Replace>More>Special>Tab Character and enter ; for "replace with If your data was down column A then use Replace>More>Special>Paragraph Mark an...

Save As Web Page option not there!
Hello, I am wondering why the help file in Publisher 2002 says "to save a file as a web page Click File, Save As Web Page" on the the menu toolbar. For some reason this option does not appear, nor does it appear in the Tools, Customize, Commands Tab. If this is the case and my program is working right, then how is this simple task achieved? Look further at the menu FILE and you will find the options there you need. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Dan Whitten <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I am wondering why the he...

How does 'save as text' work?
What is the difference between save, save as, save as text? When I 'save', or 'save as' I get a PDF file icon, when I 'save as text' I get a 'notepad' icon. I can access the PDF file but there's nothing in the 'notepad' icon to access. Where are you seeing these options? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Ruben" <Ruben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6434BFFE-D523-4E3A-ADB9-53249E77667A@microsoft.com... > What is the difference between save, save as, save as text? > When I 'save'...

Excel 97 crashes on Save As
I have been using Excel 97 for a long time with no major problems, but recently I installed MS Works with its Spreadsheet program and also Access 2007. Now it seems that when I create a tab delimited spreadsheet in Excel 97 using a VBA script from another program, and I attempt to Save As an XLS file, it crashes. I don't know for sure that the installation of Works caused the problem, but it was about the same time that I noticed it. I can save the file as a tab delimited text file and then open it in MS Works Spreadsheet, but that is a PITA. I would like to be able to use the VBA ...

how can i disable save i need save as only
i have a report that others use. the main bady of the report is protected against change. but i need to disable the save so they only use save as. is this possably David, Save the workbook as a template, and the user will be prompted for a name when they use save or save as, unless they specifically save the file as a template as well. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "David128" <David128@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5708134D-2619-4A82-9970-7ED160028F45@microsoft.com... >i have a report that others use. the main bady of the report is protected > again...

Save as JPEG: no margins
Hi. Using Visio 2003, I saved a drawing as JPEG. However, I would like to have margins around the shapes. How can I achieve this? TIA Draw a rectangle around everything. Give it no fill. Set the line transparency to 100%. Now export to .jpg. You should get your margins! -- Hope this helps, Chris Roth Visio MVP "Nananana" <dnoam@il.ibm.com> wrote in message news:1109939419.419015.242110@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hi. > Using Visio 2003, I saved a drawing as JPEG. > However, I would like to have margins around the shapes. > How can I achieve this? ...

"save as" box
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Word &quot;save as&quot; box can't be moved relative to the document-to-be-saved????? In windows XP this can be done. I need to reference the first page during the &quot;save as&quot; process. Hi, I am not sure I understand your question. It sounds as if you have encountered a problem caused by the Finder. The default Save As dialogue, which is actually a Finder window, displays a dropdown field with a small selection of folders, but does not allow you to navigate to other folders. ...

save as pdf crashes
Hi, I am having difficulty with the Excel 2007 'save as pdf' functionality. I have posted the troublesome file at the link below: http://dollar.biz.uiowa.edu/~jgoodson/TestRecourse.zip When attempting to save the 'chart1' worksheet as a pdf file, Excel stops working and either closes or restarts. In both cases, the pdf file is not created. I am able to save other Excel documents as pdf files, but, for some reason, this one refuses to be converted to a pdf file. I have reinstalled the 'save as pdf' add-in from Microsoft, but this doesn't help. I appreciate an...

How implement Save as...
I'm developping with Vicual C++ 6.0. My application is a dialog based. I create two buttons, the first one named "Save as" the second one named "Print". Using "Save as" button I would like to save the dialog as file.bmp, using "print" button I would like to print the dialog by default printer. I found some example to capture the desktop but I don't want that, I would capture the dialog, no the desktop. Can anyone help me??? Thanks in advance mais See my article on how to capture any window as a bitmap. I put it in the clipboard, but you would...

Default "Save as Type" problem
Outlook 2003 - when saving an e-mail message "save as type" defaults to HTML. This unfortunately strips off the attachments. I need to change to Outlook Unicode type as a default, but when changing settings in Tools - Options - Other - Advanced Options - "Use unicode message format when saving" when ticked on - doesn't seem to make any difference. Default still appears as HTML. Can anyone help Thanks, Georg ...

Only "save as bmp" in Outlook
When I receive a mail in Outlook (have tried both OutlookXP and 2003 - seems to be the same) where a picture (jpg) is inserted and I rightclick to save it, only bmp-format is possible to select. I want to save as jpg. Why is it so? And/or can you suggest a way for me to work where I can rightclick and choose "save as" and then be able to select "jpg"? Regards Anette Unfortunately, this behavior is "by design" if you are working with embedded images in HTML messages. Plain text and rich text formatted messages will attach the .jpg file in such a way that you c...

Save As error 918
I am getting error 918 when trying to save a Visio (2000) organisational flow chart as an Adobe illustrator file type (*.ai). The messgae reads 'An error (918) occurred during action Save As. The filter is unable to recognize the file.' Does any one have any ideas how tio overcome this? ...

How to save xls as dbf. dbf is not in 'save as' box.
Need to save a worksheet as a .dbf instead of .xls. Have tried to locate dbf in the 'save as' and 'files of type' boxes. also tried to find a converter on this website. It's there - scroll down in the Save as Type dropdown -- closer to the bottom... Bob Umlas "**Debra**" <**Debra**@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E5E474BD-A0F3-448D-8EB0-5A525BC9D1F2@microsoft.com... > Need to save a worksheet as a .dbf instead of .xls. Have tried to locate > dbf > in the 'save as' and 'files of type' boxes. also tried to f...

Save as .jpg at 300 dpi gives me an entirely black image
When I save my file as .jpg at 300 dpi it saves the file. When I open the file the entire image is black (file size is up around 800K). If a save it as a .jpg at 150 dpi it works perfect. Any ideas why? -- mea Have you tried editing your image in an image editing program and then inserting into Publisher? Are you saving the entire publication as a .jpg? Were there pictures already inserted in the publication before you saved as a .jpg? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publish...

How can I reset "save as" screen to come up small, not full screen
I unknowingly did something that has caused a change in how the "save as" window comes up when trying to save a Word document. Now, it comes up in a full-screen view when before the view was small. In this full-screen view one can't grab the lower corner to shrink the screen to the desired size. This problem is only occurring within Word, not with any other programs. What did I do and how can I change it back to a smaller view? Thank you! Product Version Word 2003 SP2 / Professional Edition Double-click on the title bar (at the top). On Mar 11, 10:21=...

Word 2003
I created a template in Word 2003 for group use. A lot of people have opened it and used it then saved the resulting document. However, there are some other users that can open the template but cannot do a Save As. The template works but cannot be saved. The template does have some protected sections and I tried turning that off but it still doesn't work. I have never seen this before. Any ideas? Also one of the users has a problem where once he tries to do a Save As that doesn't work then tries to close the Word application, he can't. It appears to close but autom...

freeze panes in "save as web page"
Hi, We're saving an excel 2003 file (w/ no interactivity) to be hosted on a web server. It has 3500 rows, so obviously being able to always see the header row would be great. Is there a way this can be done? Thanks, John Check out freeze panes under Windows. HTH Regards, Howard "jcy" <painkillr@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:O8SpkM8OKHA.3192@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > We're saving an excel 2003 file (w/ no interactivity) to be hosted on a > web server. It has 3500 rows, so obviously being able to always see the > header row would ...

Cannot save as template in 2002
We have just upgraded to Office XP I want to save an e-mail as a outlook template, but when I have an open e-mail and use File - save as, there is NO Outlook Template .oft, I can choose, only .dot How do I make an outlook template .oft in Outlook 2002. I want to have a template to be send when I am not at the office. Can someone help. I believe this is because you are using Word as your email editor. Uncheck Tools/Options/Mail Format/Use Microsoft Word to edit e-mail message to use a regular Outlook message format. Then, .oft will be available. >-----Original Message----- >We h...