Leave a Copy of Messages on Server

Office XP SP3, Outlook 2007 SP1

I like to leave my messages on the server in case I'm away from my regular
computers.  I can still reference them with webmail.

I use Outlook on 2 different computers, however.  After I've checked my mail
on one of them and then use Outlook on the other computer, I will get
duplicates of all the emails that I received on the first computer.  It
looks like each Outlook program keeps it's own record of where it stopped
downloading.

Is there a way to tell Outlook to only download unread emails?  Is there
another solution?

I suppose I could delete the emails from the server, but it's nice to have
them there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fred

Frederick R. Hutchings, you  wrote on Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:09:21 -0500:

> I use Outlook on 2 different computers, however.  After I've checked my mail
> on one of them and then use Outlook on the other computer, I will get
> duplicates of all the emails that I received on the first computer.

This is a normal behavior.

> It looks like each Outlook program keeps it's own record of where it
> stopped downloading.

That's right.

> Is there a way to tell Outlook to only download unread emails?  Is there
> another solution?

How would Outlook know that the emails already have been downloaded on
an other computer?

--
Best Regards
Christian Goeller

MVP - MS Outlook
http://www.outlookfaq.net
0
cg2706 (163)
4/1/2009 8:29:38 AM
My copy of Office 2007 Pro was not valid.  It was probably valid at one
time.  It really looked authentic.  It installed and updated fine.  I
stumbled across the Office Validation site and it said that it was not
valid.  I contacted a MS rep and he said that the product key was a VLK and
belonged to a business and was over it's limit.  They apparently shut them
down from installing and updating only in extreme cases.  The customer is
the one who gets all the grief.  So I got a refund.  Now I'm reluctant to
buy Office on the web.  Maybe that is MS' intent.  MS is making it look
authentic when you install it, but then telling you otherwise when you go to
their validation site.  It is a very poor situation.  But I digress.

Anyway, I reinstalled Office 2000, and guess what?  Outlook 2000 handles the
problem.  If it downloads a message on 1 computer, it doesn't download it on
the other.  I wonder what Outlook 2007 does differently from 2000?

Fred

"Christian Goeller" <cg@mvps.org.invalid> wrote in message
> Frederick R. Hutchings, you  wrote on Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:09:21 -0500:
>
>> I use Outlook on 2 different computers, however.  After I've checked my
>> mail
>> on one of them and then use Outlook on the other computer, I will get
>> duplicates of all the emails that I received on the first computer.
>
> This is a normal behavior.
>
>> It looks like each Outlook program keeps it's own record of where it
>> stopped downloading.
>
> That's right.
>
>> Is there a way to tell Outlook to only download unread emails?  Is there
>> another solution?
>
> How would Outlook know that the emails already have been downloaded on
> an other computer?
>
> --
> Best Regards
> Christian Goeller
>
> MVP - MS Outlook
> http://www.outlookfaq.net

filter rule hidden "messages"
Hello, I have read something about the rules and came into the fact the rule are saved into the exchange folder in the form of a hidden object. Is there any option to see those hidden objects? O. On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:02:47 +0200, "Ondrej Sevecek" <ondra at my_surname dot com> wrote: >Hello, > >I have read something about the rules and came into the fact the rule are >saved into the exchange folder in the form of a hidden object. Is there any >option to see those hidden objects? > >O. > mdbvue32, mfcmapi are some products that let you view rul...

SQL Server Training at your door step
We at www.sqlServer-Training.com, are trying to educate people on Microsoft SQL Server. We are providing daily tutorials, news and articles via our Blog. In case you are interested in exploring this new Database Administration skill set, please subscribe to our newsletters at http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=Sqlserver-training We are also offering SQL Server 2005, 2008 DBA training in online mode, where you can join us for web conferences. Certifactions Training ========================= MCITP - SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance MCITP - SQL Server 20...

printer server on domain controller on 2008 x
The server service was unable to map error code 1723.For some reason, the print servers on our one domain controller VSDCA keep going offline.. so i log into the server, i see under Print Management.. Print Servers.. that "VSDCA (local)" has a red arrow pointing down, implying it must be offline.. If i right click i dont have an option of bringing it back online, if i do a properties i get: Print Server Properties Server properties cannot be viewed. Operation could not be completed (error 0x000006bb). I took a look in the event log.. i dont see much pertaining t...

Messages rejected by receive connector
I administer a set of Exchange 2007 servers in a somewhat complex organization. We are one of 7 domains all in the same forest. One of the other domains has set up a distribution group. When people from outside our network email the distribution group, they receive an error that the message was rejected with an <#5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender> error. I currently have the default settings on my receive connectors. It is my understanding that since this is coming from another Exchange 2007 server in the same organization it shoul...

Configuring IPSec between FE and BE servers
Hi, Can anyone tell me where I can find some step by step instructions to set up IPSec communications between Exchange 2003 Front-End and Back-End servers (the back-end is running a 2 node A/P cluster)? Thanks, Curtis. -- Please reply to news group only. Thank you. On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:55:40 +0100, "Curtis Fray" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Can anyone tell me where I can find some step by step instructions to set up >IPSec communications between Exchange 2003 Front-End and Back-End servers >(the back-end is running a 2 node A/P cluster)? > >...

Operation Failed message when opening Outlook 2000
I get an Operation failed message when opening Outlook 2000 with win xp pro OS. Ive tried removing and reloading the program but it goes back to the old settings and will not open. Any ideas? Had troubles with a trojan horse on the same computer affecting IE but got that fixed. ...

Windows Mail can't see incoming message
I thought I posted about this about a week ago, but I can't see my message anymore. I am on Vista Home Premium with Windows Mail. There was a particular incoming message, which I could see in my ISP's webmail and I could see on my local machine in MailWasher, but which was completely ignored by Windows Mail - it just didn't see it. That's still happening, but now there are three incoming messages behaving in this way. All are from the same site (user@site) but not all from the same user, and I have no problem with still other users at that site. What shou...

Forwarding Messages #3
When I forward a message out of my sent items box I lose the text of the message. The message is still there and tells me of the action on the top. How do I retain the text of the message also. Nathan ...

Querying Messages Addressed to a Domain
Dumb Question: We have a single Exchange 2003 server receiving e-mail messages addressed to domain1.com, domain2.com, and domain3.com. We'd like to turn off domain1.com, but want to make sure messages aren't being addressed to that domain even though it's not the primary in the recipient policy. How do I search the information store for any inbound messages addressed to this domain? Can I do it on the fly over the past say 6 months or does some type of logging need to have been enabled? Thanks, Message Tracking would need to be enabled, or SMTP Protocol logging (the la...

Message attachment size
I have a vbs script that will search through an Exchange 2003 server and find all messages with a given type of file attachment. Is there a way to get the attachment size as well? ...

Cannot copy & paste to a mailing label template
I downloaded a Christmas label template from Microsoft Office Word. After deleting "Name, Address, etc." which was on each label on the page, I then typed our address on one and tried to copy & paste so that we could have a whole page of return address labels. I just couldn't get it to work. Any suggestions? Rather than starting with a full sheet of blank labels, why not use the label wizard? Can you explain "just couldn't get it to work"? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummie...

Cannot get email users email to go to isp email. It goes to exchange server instead.
We are using SBS2003 with EXCH2003. We have branch offices. If I put the branch office in SBS2003 as a user and send an email to the user (i.e. user@user.com) it ends up on the server and never gets sent to the branch office user. I'm using the pop3 connector to connect to our mail provider to send and receive mail. I was wondering if there's a way to bypass the server and have the email go directly to the user at our providers server. The reason why I put the branch office user on the server so that we can have the user in our Global Access List when do a mass email. Please advise. ...

Message Rules Get Lost?
When I move my .pst file or restore from backup all the rules no longer work. The Rules are still there, and the folder to which the messages are being moved to is also valid, but the error is that the folder doesn't exist. So I have to go in and re-set the folder parameter for the rule to work. What can I do to prevent this? Or, what can I do to re-initialize all the rules? Thanks, -Bob Outlook 2003 XP Pro You shouldn't have to do that if PST file name & path stay the same. Rules use the full PST name & path for folder reference, at least as far as I know. "B...

Message Pane too wide
I cannot see the entire message in order to read it. The only way that I can move it so that I can see more of it is to move the folders column to the left. This has nothing to do with font. This has to do with shrinking the message pane down to normal size. "nktexas" <nktexas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3BA89B5-AF78-4D1B-802D-8CD82C27B98A@microsoft.com... > I cannot see the entire message in order to read it. The only way that I > can > move it so that I can see more of it is to move the folders column to the > left. This ha...

handling message of buttons in dynamic dialog
Environment: VC++ (MFC) To create a modal dialog box and some push buttons on it indirectly, I have used DLGTEMPLATE and DLGITEMTEMPLATE. Then,l call empty CDialog constructor to construct the dialog box object. Next, I call InitModalIndirect and DoModal to create and display my dialog box. But, I can't handle notification message of these pushbuttons. As you know I can't use the classwizard because this modal dialog is dynamically created with its control, and since it is a CDialog object (not a CDialog derived class,according MSDN) I can't override its function to add mess...

Script Error Message
Receive the followimg error message box upon opening Outlook 2003: "An error has occurred in the script on this page" ...

Outlook 2003 locks up while adding address to new mail message
I have Outlook 2003 installed with Business Contact Manager and Word as my email editor. Frequently, Outlook will lock up while I'm in the process of creating a new message and adding my first address in the To: field. I suspect that it has something to do with the AutoComplete feature as it appears to occur when the name is not automatically recognized or displayed even though it has been previously. Has anyone else encountered this bug and/or found a solution? I have the latest Outlook SPs installed. Haven't seen it, but it is more likely a corrupted profile than a corrup...

Copy and paste into OLE
I need help with the code to do the following..... I want to copy and paste a bmp into an OLE cell on my form. I want to do it using code which I will add to a command button. Suggestions?? ...

Copy the sub-totals not the details
I have a worksheet (Excel 2007) that shows accounts sales data. The table has sub-totals showing the sum of the sales for each account. I need to transfer the sub-total data to another sheet to create a table that contains just the rows with sub-total values, and without the rest of the source data (so that I can import the sub-total figures into another piece of software). Anyone know how to do this?Jeff __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4888 (20100222) __________ The message was checked by ESET Smart Security. http...

Make messages email or word auto go to a contact when created from a contact
When I type a message to a contact using contacts how do I make the message apprear in notes or part of the contact with out copy paste Select the "Activities" tab of the Contact. Specify your issue if this is not what you mean. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Create your own fully customized Toolbar -Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003 Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! www.sparnaaij.net (I changed my ...

copying numbers generated by formulas
Hello. I have a column that generated some numbers using formulas. Now that I have the numbers, I want to copy and paste the numbers elsewhere without copying and pasting the formulas. How do I do this? Thank you! Look at the Paste Option tag to the right of the cell you pasted into, click the down arrow, and select values or use paste special and select values. Ron "Rush" <Rush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1CC68E8-5E1A-4BCF-82E3-AFD27E7474C9@microsoft.com... > Hello. I have a column that generated some numbers using formulas. Now > that...

Installing CRM On Member Server
Hi, I posted this in another news group and after 2 days no answer. I have installed CRM 4.0 on a member server, for approx 30 mins all users on the network (enabled in CRM) were able to access the server. Then users were asked for a user name and password which after 3 attempts the 401 IIS error page appeared (not authorised). Are there any considerations for installing on a member server or do I need to do anything in IIS to authenticate the domain users. I really need help with this please Hi David, what's buffling is that users are able to access server for about 30 minutes...

Move and Copy
Working with Excel 2003 - I am trying to place a previous work spreadsheet into another workbook - however, when I attempted to move and copy I can only insert one worksheet into the other workbook. Please advise -- Kellie Assuming Book1 is Active and Book2 is already open as well: Sub Macro1() Sheets(Array("s1", "s2")).Copy Before:=Workbooks("Book2").Sheets(1) End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200755 "Jessica@aol.com" wrote: > Working with Excel 2003 - I am trying to place a previous work spreadsheet > into another workbook - ho...

Access 2007 runtime on Windows Server 2003?
Has anyone installed the 2007 runtime on a Windows 2003 server? In the runtime distribution notes Microsoft say it isn't supported (just on XP/SP2 and Vista) but that doesn't mean it won't work. (Does it?) "rick" <rstreet@rogers.com> wrote: >Has anyone installed the 2007 runtime on a Windows 2003 server? In the >runtime distribution notes Microsoft say it isn't supported (just on XP/SP2 >and Vista) but that doesn't mean it won't work. (Does it?) Windows Server products can be "special" in some ways. <smile> I certainly...

Re: IPM.Post instead of IPM.Note (Exchange Server 2003)
(Apologies for the repost - I types in "ms.p.e.application.conversion twice, and forgot this group) "Steven Wilmot" <steven-news@wilmot.me.uk> wrote in message news:... > Hello, > > could you tell me is there a similar patch for Exchange > Server 2003 as there is one for Exchange Server 2000 > (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817809) addressing the > issue of "SMTP messages coming to public folders have a > default type of IPM.Post instead of IPM.Note"? > > Thanks a lot, > > Steven. > > ...