Large OST file . .

I'm in an Exchange Server environment, using an Outlook 2000 client, with a
very large OST file - 1.4 MB - I save everything - all sent emails, all
received emails - I guess I could turn Archive on, but then I wouldn't be
able to search EVERYTHING at the same time - any suggestions as to anything
I could do to optimize my environment - Outlook loads very slow after an
abnormal termination, searches are slow, etc.  Thanks

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 07:50:04 -1000, Texas Yankee
<No-email_address@nowhere.com> wrote:

> I'm in an Exchange Server environment, using an Outlook 2000 client,
> with a
> very large OST file - 1.4 MB - I save everything - all sent emails, all
> received emails - I guess I could turn Archive on, but then I wouldn't be
> able to search EVERYTHING at the same time - any suggestions as to
> anything
> I could do to optimize my environment - Outlook loads very slow after an
> abnormal termination, searches are slow, etc.  Thanks

Turn on archiving and use Lookout
(http://www.lookoutsoft.com/Lookout/lookoutinfo.html) to index your
mailbox and the archives.  Super fast.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Texas Yankee <No-email_address@nowhere.com> wrote:

> I'm in an Exchange Server environment, using an Outlook 2000 client,
> with a very large OST file - 1.4 MB - I save everything - all sent
> emails, all received emails - I guess I could turn Archive on, but
> then I wouldn't be able to search EVERYTHING at the same time - any
> suggestions as to anything I could do to optimize my environment -
> Outlook loads very slow after an abnormal termination, searches are
> slow, etc.  Thanks

You're going to have to move some stuff out of your Exchange mailbox.
You're getting close to the point when you're going to corrupt your OST.
Put it in a PST, if you need to keep it online.  There are search tools
(Lookout is one) that will simplify finding things again.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

pdf changes to dat files when sending
Have changed from Outlook Express to Outlook and having problems with MYOB (accounting program). We send our invoices through MYOB (it does all the work - configures everything and then send it as an attachment) and it sends them in a .pdf format through the default email. Some people are getting .pdf files and others are having .dat files coming to them. Not sure why the .dat files are going (all should be .pdf) and how do I fix it so all are .pdf files ... any help .. I am desperate! Don't use rich text format for your message settings- try plain text or HTML. Shelley wrote: > Ha...

Run a batch file
Hi Team : What are the steps to run a batch file ? for example C:\pit.bat Is true, that is not recomendable to use CreateProcess comand in this case ? Thanks in adavnced, German Medina You can use ShellExecute to do this. -------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com Thanks Ajay: I want to add aditional question related to this issue, How is in the case if I run the dos command : dir *.exe>log1.log from Visualc+6.0? Thanks again, German Medina +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Ajay Kalra" wrote: > You can use ShellExecute to do this. > > -...

Exchange and PST files
Just wanted to ping you about any information you have about using PST's in a production domain environment. I have heard that it's not a good idea, but I was curious what made it a bad one. Currently, users in my exchange org have a dedicated file server that hosts all their PST files over the network. So backup isn't a problem. I do realize that there is a 2GB limit on PST files which is an escalating problem the longer time goes on. Anybody have any good ideas about how to implement a policy that will allow exchange users to continue to archive mail, but won't allow them to...

Very slow opening excel files in Outlook
Where I work, we are all running Office 2007, Active Directory, and Outlook connects to an Exchange 07 server. One of my users is having a strange problem. Whenever he tries to open Excel files from within Outlook, it can take up to 2 minutes for the file to open. All other file formats open immediately just fine, except Excel. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks. Normally you would see an error and an attachment wouldn't open, but try this anyway: http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/securetemp.htm "Joao" <cyclinglemur@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d6d5b92c...

Excel file opens with a blank screen
I have an excel file with a few worksheets. Sometimes (But this does not happen every time) after I run a macro that takes data from other files and puts it onto a worksheet in the current file, after I save and close the current file and then reopen the file, it comes up blank. I can still view my vb code, but I cannot see the actual spreadsheets unless I go to View-->Full screen and then reduce the view with the minimize icon on the little toolbar that pops up. What really makes this odd, is that a friend in another lab can run the macro and open the file at his place with no prob...

Macro file is empty?
I've been trying to record my first-ever macro, but for some reason the macro file is always empty. I go to Tools>Macro>Record, give the file a name, and start performing the tasks (for a test, I simply brought up the Item card and entered an item number to display). I then stop recording (Tools>Macro>Stop Recording). When I edit the .mac file, there's nothing in it. I've tried a few other tasks (as well as using Alt-F8 to start & end the recording process), but I keep ending up with an empty macro file. Where am I going wrong?? -- Bud Cool, Accounting Sys...

all files gone?
Hi, I have Outlook 2002 (10.65...)SP3, when I opened it this morning, all my files (contact lists, inbox, personal, sent items...etc) are all blank. There was a dialog box came up saying like all my old files were relocated and if I want to move them back into my Outlook, I can use MS Outlook help. Could someone tell me how do I get my old files back and where are they now? What happened anyway? Is this an automatic thing that Outlook does once awhile? Thanks ahead. Regards, David David <dy168@cox.net> wrote: > I have Outlook 2002 (10.65...)SP3, when I opened it this mor...

Crackers into school files.
Hello All! The local papers have been much exercised by the fact that a bunch of junior crackers got into the online grade files at Winston Churchill High School in Montgomery County. Apparently, they placed USB key stroke recorders and freebie programs on teachers' computers and thus got the passwords. Not only did they modify their own grades but they reduced those of people they disliked. Tho' it is difficult to get people to change their passwords, are there not encrypting devices activated by fingerprints and other ways of achieving greater security? -- ...

opening XLS files
Can someone tell me how to open a XLS file whe the message says "windows can not open this XLS file. To open windows needs to know what program created it"? It was created in excel spreadsheet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Do you have Excel installed on your Computer? If so, save the file to Hard Drive then open Windows Explorer and locate the file. SHIFT + Right-click and select "Open With" and scroll to Excel in the dialog box. Select and check "always open with". If no Excel on your computer you can download Free XLViewer at http://office.micr...

Restore files only view the last month emails
I have outlook 2003 i added mi windows XP Pro to Domain then Xp create a new profile. I try to restore files from old user profile, but when i made it Only e-mails from last month and past appears !!! Please if somebody have any answer for this problem Please Help me After to made it i clean a virus called BackDoor.Berbew.F but i don't know if this was the problem. I search for All Pst files and any have mails from this month June ...

.mny files disappeared.
Tonight when I opened my Money 2003 to update as I do on a regular basis, I got the following message: "Money's Converter wizard for Quicken does not support this version of Quicken. To convert your Quicken file, open it first in Quicken for Windows version..... and then open Money. Click OK which I did. I do not have any Quicken software on my computer so this message was amazing. Then after clicking OK, I got "Money can't locate .....My Money or cannot open it, possibly becaure is is a read-only.....etc. If you have chosen the correct file.....you will need to clic...

editing .pub files without publisher
Is there anyway to get a publisher created file to read on word or on a computer with out any office software? I was handed a publisher file that needs to be edited for a group of about 30 and only 3 of us have publisher. Some don't have any office programs at all. I need something simple so they can all add the own info to the Doc. and not many are very IT literate. You are asking the impossible. Have the three Publisher user's edit the document. The other folks can offer suggestions, even images. You don't need an Office product to share images or text, but you do need Pub...

Invalid File Format
When I start Excel I get an initial message that says ssipro97.dot is an invalid format. Any idea why this would come up? It doesn't seem to affect how Excel works, it's just annoyint. ...

this file extinsion appear .xls~RF16b309.TMP in the same folder
this file extinsion appear .xls~RF16b309.TMP in the same folder where i save my file.xls I believe that is a history file, where you track changes made. In your workbook you probably have track changes set. -- The Code Cage Team Regards, The Code Cage Team 'The Code Cage' (http://www.thecodecage.com) ------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Code Cage Team's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=2 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=33675 I would look at the antivirus program that yo...

quick Q about large numbers
if i was to enter a credit card number in excel it auto formats it to this 1.23412E+15 for this number 1234123412341234 and when i enter it in and format it as a number it makes the last number a 0 ? 1234123412341230 why? how to fix? -- mark petrak ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mark petrak's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26804 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=473146 You need to enter this type of 'number' as text... precede with an apostrophe ( ' ). ...

cd file will not open
I have copied an excel file to CD-R and cannot open the disc copy. I get the message The Disc is full. But I only copied 39 MB of data onto a blank 700 MB disc. Is there some way to get around this? Thank you! Cynthia Copy the file to your HD and open it there. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "cynthia dygert" <cynthia.dygert@amerihealth-tpa.com> wrote in message news:00bf01c34e29$bb680d10$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have copied an excel file to CD-R and cannot open the > disc copy. I get the message The Disc is full. But I > o...

"unexpected file lock by . " error
I have an excel spreadsheet that is shared and accessed by 5 computers. Only one person at a time can make changes. However, periodically I am getting an "Unexpected file lock by . ........" It states that I can click yes to unlock and be able to save changes or click NO but be able to SAVE AS a different file name. This does not happen all the time and I really can't duplicate it at will. It has appeared on at least two different computers (not the computer that the file resides on). But it has come up several times in the last week. Any suggestions as to why thi...

Publisher 2000 Huge file
I have been doing a monthly 8 page bulletin for about 2 years. Each time I save the last months bulletin to a new file and edit the old file into this months bulletin. I just discovered that my file has grown to about 12 Mb and there are only 2 little 25kb pictures plus text on 8 pages total in the file. How can I get rid of all the extraneous stuff??? Any thoughts - Thanks This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_18AF_01C523BE.10459080 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Correct, it is a majo...

Excel file with macros involved really bring in danger?
Recently we designed a online questionair for enterpreneurs basing o Excel with macros functions. We workded hard on it and it is almost finished. However, when we invite enterpreneurs to have a try, it came out problem. When they open it online, they are asked to enable macros. As we al experienced, the computers warn them that macros may bring in viruses, then they started to fear and refuse to open it. If they do not use it, our whole work will mean nothing. I want to persuade these enterpreneurs that enabling macros will not b as dangerous as they think. But actually I am not very ...

Hyperlinked files on hard disk not working in Web Site preview
I have been publishing my Web Site to the Web for 3 years without this problem. All of a sudden when I made changes to the site and web page previewed, everything worked--all hyperlinks ect.--except the hyperlinks to PDF files. Every click got the same message: "Accessing the resource C:\Document Settings\ ect. has been disallowed." I've checked everything I can think of and rerun the repair programs in my Office Software and separately in Publisher. All my updates are current, and I use XP Professsional. Can anybody help me? Regards, Marshall Version 2000 made a cop...

mail boxes per edb file and archive management questions
Hi... 1. How large can an edb file get and how many mail boxes can one hold? 2. I read somewhere that exchange can have a max of 4 edb files? 3. What are the best practises when an edb file reaches maximum size... how do you move messages in the edb file to the archive storage? /D This is dependent on the version of Exchange you are running. For example: Exch 2K3 Std Edition has a 75GB limit per edb/stm (the Exchange data store is made up of an .edb and .stm file) Exch 2K3 Ent Edition has no practical limit. How large you should allow your data store to become depends really on your ...

How do I set up dowloading PDF file on web page using Publisher
I am setting up a simple web site using publisher and what to give browsers access to PDF files of media articles etc. How do I set up a link on a web page and where do I put the main PDF file? On your webpage put a text line for the file, i.e., Get this file. Highlite the word FILE or words GET THIS FILE. Right click select Hyperlink and type in the path to where you are storing the pdf file, i.e., downloads/file.pdf Create the folder DOWNLOADS on your website, upload file.pdf into the DOWNLOADS folder. (uppercase is to clarify suggestion and not necessary for actual procedure - al...

Excel files will not open from a shortcut in XP. How do I fix thi
Excell files set up as shortcuts will not open. The system sends a "file not found" message. The same thing occurs when trying to open anExcel attachment in an email. Other file types open normally (.doc, .dwg, .pdf, .jpg etc). How do I fix this so that I can open files from desktop shortcuts or from shortcuts in emails? I am using Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 Service Pack 1, and Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) SP1 Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unr...

How to generate xsd file using <xsd: and not <xs:
When I generate an xsd *schema* I get something like : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?> <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"> <xs:element name="AccountsReceivable"> .... but I want to have the following, and don't know how to achieve it <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?> <xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"> <xsd:element name="AccountsReceivable"> .... "andy gilman" <andygilman@discussions.microsoft.com...

Access violation when closing a file
Hi, I am running my application in a debugger Windbg and I got the following exception: ******************************************************************************* * * * Exception Analysis * * * ******************************************************************************* *** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for Recorder.exe *** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for Reco...