Just installed new hard drive

I just installed a new hard drive and used the drive's
utility program to copy everything from my old drive to
the new one.

Now Outlook isn't going out to my ISP's server and
getting my new messages, and when I send a message I get
the "no transport provider available" error. (My
connection's just fine.)

I looked online for some help. One recommendation was to
delete the Personal Folder and create a new one. I did
that, but then all the messages I had disappeared and it
freaked me out so I didn't want to mess with anything
else.

How can I make it work again and have I lost all my
messages?
0
anonymous (74722)

"Karen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just installed a new hard drive and used the drive's
> utility program to copy everything from my old drive to
> the new one.
>
> Now Outlook isn't going out to my ISP's server and
> getting my new messages, and when I send a message I get
> the "no transport provider available" error. (My
> connection's just fine.)
>
> I looked online for some help. One recommendation was to
> delete the Personal Folder and create a new one. I did
> that, but then all the messages I had disappeared and it
> freaked me out so I didn't want to mess with anything
> else.
>
> How can I make it work again and have I lost all my
> messages?

Delete the .pst file
Start Outlook and setup your email accouts
import data from old .pst file on your old hard disk

dam

0
dmelvin (5)
11/9/2003 11:08:55 PM
Thanks for your reply. Couple of questions...

Delete the new .pst file that I just created?

I wiped out my old hard drive (though the data is
presumably still there since I haven't done anything with
it), so I'm not sure the importing of data from it is an
option.

But shouldn't all this stuff be somewhere on my new drive
already? When I first opened up Outlook after installing
the new drive and copying everything to it, all my
messages and contacts were visible.

0
anonymous (74722)
> Thanks for your reply. Couple of questions...
>
> Delete the new .pst file that I just created?

If you have your email accounts setup and are confident that this .pst is
"virgin", then it should be fine.

> I wiped out my old hard drive (though the data is
> presumably still there since I haven't done anything with
> it), so I'm not sure the importing of data from it is an
> option.

Not sure what you mean by "wiped out" (format?). If so, then you would need
some sort of "unformat" or "undelete" utility to recover it.

> But shouldn't all this stuff be somewhere on my new drive
> already? When I first opened up Outlook after installing
> the new drive and copying everything to it, all my
> messages and contacts were visible.

I read your original message as saying you deleted the .pst that contained
your messages, etc. It may still be in the Recycle Bin if you haven't
emptied it. If not, and unless you have another source for your original
..pst, your only option is to recover it from your old drive, if possible.

Good luck,

dam

0
dmelvin (5)
11/10/2003 1:49:43 AM
Actually, I don't know whether I created and/or deleted
a .pst file. Here's what I did:

Start -> Control Panel -> Other Options -> Mail

That brings up a dialog box with Services, Delivery and
Addressing tabs. I selected Personal Folders from the
list on the Services tab and clicked "Remove."

Then, on the same tab, I clicked "Add" and
chose "Personal Folders" from the list.

I haven't done anything with my different accounts (which
I'm assuming is the same as "services," labeled
as "Internet E-mail - [name]."

When I search for files on my computer that are
named "*.pst," it finds two in this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\Karen\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

They are Karen.pst and mailbox.pst.

And, yes, wiped out means I formatted my old drive. But
since I haven't touched it since then, I'm assuming an
undelete untility (if it turns out I need one) would work.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
0
anonymous (74722)
11/10/2003 2:31:56 AM
The info on what happens when I search for "*.pst" files
below is wrong. This is what it finds:

mailbox.pst
outlook.pst

in this location:

C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Also, I've got two profiles on this computer. Just went
into the second one and I am, of course, having the same
sending/receiving problems -- but I haven't done anything
with the Personal Folders yet, so all the contacts and
messages are still there.

Apart from getting back messages and contacts in the first
profile, what can I do to get this one sending and
receiving again?

0
anonymous (74722)
11/10/2003 4:10:29 AM
And one more piece of info...

I found in this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\Karen\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook

a mailbox.pst file that's 33,586KB.

Could that be my missing stuff? If so, how do I get it
back?
0
anonymous (74722)
11/10/2003 5:21:37 AM
The saga continues.

I found all my emails and have imported them.

That leaves me with the original problem: Outlook isn't
sending or receiving.
0
anonymous (74722)

Moving some users to new mailbox database fails
A new client of mine runs Exchange 2007 Standard SP1 on a single server. Today their Information Store shutdown due to being over 250GB in size (300GB to be exact). The site has 120 users and do not want to be limited on email storage space. We created a new Database and tried moving seven users over. Only four moved successfully. The other three genereated events: 9660, 1022, 8507, and 1008. The users mailbox size varies from 1.5GB to 4.5GB. For troubleshooting, I have already verified the account I'm using has FullAccess permissions to the account. I've also verifie...

New E-mails don't notify
Hello all, Some of the people in my office are experiencing this problem. New mail does not show up in their inbox until they click into a different folder, which seems to wake up Outlook into checking for messages. It seems that Outlook just isn't checking for messages until there is user intervention. The symptoms sound exactly like those discussed in 815052, however the pc's with this problem are not using Microsoft Firewall Client program, which is one of the causes of the issue in the article. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I am experiencing the sam...

Help with Business Portal Instalation
Hello, good afternoon group I have a problem, when i'm trying to install the Business Portal, the program checks the requirements shown me that everything is fine, but the button NEXT does not enable me to continue, which may be happening? I need your help, please. Thanks, Yandy ...

Open Link in NEW WINDOW!
There has to be some way to setup Outlook to open all web links in a BRAND NEW BROWSER WINDOW, rather than opening the link in a window I already have open and am using for something else. Does anyone know how to do this? ...

OL2000 .nick file and fresh install of OL2003
Have a user who's been running OL2000 under W98SE for the past few years, who extensively uses the autocomplete function. I have brand new pc's coming in that will all be loaded with XP and OL2003. Will do the ..pst file copy off the old system and then do the .pst copy onto the new system, etc, etc. Is it possible to utilize any of the cached infro from the .nick of the OL2000 system on the OL2003 install? I know you move from a .nick format to a .nk2 on the change, but not clear if you can save any of the old info, or if the user will have to start on a fresh build of cached nicknam...

Adding A New Account
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C73674.080A2FA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I did not see this answered anywhere on google goups, so if it is out = there forgive me. I have Money 2007 Biz. I have 2 Netbank accounts and sync then online. I = opened a NetBank CD last week and I want to add it to money. Of course, = Money says to add an account from this bank run update and money will = find it and add it. Each time I update Money does not find the CD = account. Is there a way to ...

installing the SQL Reporting Services 'report designer'
I have installed Visual Studio 2005 inorder to use the SQL Reporting Services 'report designer' (that is also shipped on the CRM Server CD) but during the install the prerequisets say that I have not installed visual basic .net on my server. From my research SQL Reporting Services 'report designer' software works inside Visual Studio 2003 or 2005 version. Please could someone let me know what I need to do to run the reporting services? You should need the Report designer in order for basic Report Services to work. I would also suggest installing Reporting Services be...

how do I copy a range to a new sheet
Now that I this group solved my problem of flagging dates of my club members as "expired", how would I automatically copy all of the members that are expired to a new worksheet so I can use this for a mail merge? I would need to check the condition of the expired column, YES or NO, then copy the yes's name and address columns only to a new page. TIA Why not just add that column and when you use mailmerge, just include the records with that flag set the way you need? If you really want to copy the rows, you could apply Data|Filter|Autofilter and filter to show just those mem...

Work flow to create new record
Is the following possible in v4 without code writing (we currently use v3 and I don't think it is possible). Assume that account and competitors have a relationship. When an account is created I want it to automatically add a certain competitor record to the account. This is to faciliate a work around whereby I can then run a search to show all records that do not have a competitor. Thanks James that is possible in v4 workflow James. you can create a new record (of almost any type) when your account creation workflow is fired. Dave "JamesE" <JamesE@discussions.mi...

Adding A New Column
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I was emailed a document that is made up of columns and rows. I would like to add one more column and extend the rows into that new column. How do I create that one extra column and extend the rows into it? <br> thanks. It depends on what the "columns & rows" actually are. If it's a Table just click in the column you want the new one next to then go to Table> Insert> Column to the Left or Column to the Right. The new column will have the same number of rows as the other column...

I'm trying to merge 2 workbooks into 1 new workbook.
I need assistance on merging 2 workbooks in to 1. Information may or maynot be different in each workbook. Can this be done?? ...

Outlook XP: no clear notification of filtered new messages
I have rules that move incoming messages from the inbox to other folders. Under Outlook 2000, those folders would get opened up so that the bold folder name (with the new message) could be seen. With XP, even that small indication of filtered new mail is gone. Eudora had the right idea years ago - bold the name of all parent folders of subfolders with new messages. Can I make Outlook do anything at all about this? I found messages a week old because I was unaware of this (mis)behavior. How about some clever VBA to either bold the parent folder names, or at least open the parent folders so th...

Uninstalling MSCRM 1.2 and Re-installing
Hi, I installed MSCRM 1.2 with the wrong Organization Name. So I need to uninstall and re-install. Does anybody have additional documentation for this? I plan to backup all databases, and export an xml configuration file. Is this all I need to backup before I do the uninstall? Thanks, Do Hello Do, here is the briefly description "How to uninstall MS CRM". But make sure that you have a complete Backup from all systems available. ---------- How can I uninstall the Microsoft CRM Server while leaving the data intact? Resolution The following procedure will retain your Mic...

Error in the installation of Portal Business
Good This text is translated by Power Tranlator. I am installing Business Portal and it indicates me the following message: An error ocurred while applying security setting. nt authority\network service is not valid user or group. This could be a problem with the package, or a problem connecting to domain controller on the network, Check your network connection and retry, or cancel to end the install. Thank you for their help. ------=_NextPart_0001_75D3622C Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello and thank you for using Newsgroups! The following us...

Need to install Hotfix Kb975759
I am trying to install DPM 2010 RC1 and it says I am missing a hotfix kb975759 I go to the link for the hotfix and it mentions server 2008 but there is no download for anything but server 2003? I downloaded the last x64 hotfix thinking it might just be a typo but it will not install? I am running server 2008 sp1 with 32GB of RAM It might be that you've opened the hot fix link from Windows server 2003. Please try the following: 1. Open http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975759 2. Click View and request hotfix downloads 3. Click Show hotfixes for all platforms and languages...

New install Issue
Hi, I have just created a crm box following the instructions in the included ig.pdf, however i am not prompted to log into the site, i automatically get logged in to the site as admin. I am sure that it is an iis configuration issue, could anyone help me out on this one CRM uses a 'single sign' on method. Unless you change your IE Local Intranet settings, when you access the crm site, your logged on user profile will be used to log you into the application automatically. Since you installed the software as 'Administrator' crm automatically created the CRM System Adminis...

Creating New Category Groups
I recently purchased Money 2004 and opened my older file in the new program. Several of my categories converted to unassigned Category Groups. I would like to create new Category Groups but I was unable to locate in the help menu the information needed to do this. Can someone help me with this? You can respond to me directly using my email address. Thank you. In microsoft.public.money, S. Link wrote: >I recently purchased Money 2004 and opened my older file >in the new program. Several of my categories converted to >unassigned Category Groups. I would like to create new >...

New Contacts Field/Folder/Section
Hi, I have Outlook 2003. I would like to ask if it's possible to only view selected contacts when creating a new email? I would like to only see the contacts I have already set up in Outlook Express. I have a bunch of contacts in the contacts section of Outlook but I would like to only see about 20 or so contacts (that I choose) when creating a new email. Maybe this sounds ridiculous but I figured I'd give it a shot. Thanks for any help Jay Create a view of your Contacts folder that shows only those 20 contacts, then when it's time to write the e-mail, switch to that vi...

moving cells to new sheets
I am trying to tidy up a fairly large and complex workbook that is all (quite confusingly) kept on one sheet. Is there any way to move cells to other worksheets and have them hold on to their original reference from the original sheet? e.g. easily copy cell from Sheet 1 with say, (=R1/2) to Sheet2 so it now has the formula (='Sheet1'!R1/2) Thanks David Try: Cut (from Sheet 1) > Paste (in Sheet 2) D Abramovich <youdontneed@myemail.add> wrote in message news:0a4b01c38f05$65235a50$a401280a@phx.gbl... > > I am trying to tidy up a fairly large and complex workbook ...

Transferring OE mail from old to new machine
I recently got a new laptop but have had trouble transferring mail from OE. Because I was giving my old machine to my daughter, I first deleted my mail on old machine. Belatedly I realised that I had to take copy of it first. I located the directory, and saw that the *.DBX files were still there. I copied the *.DBX files to my flash disk, copied them to my new laptop. When I try to import the messages, it says that it has done so, but when I try to view them through inbox or outbox, they are empty. I think my deleting the messages has put some markers on the *.dbx files. Is there anyw...

Rank it a NEW WEB page www.World-Estate.com
Rank it a NEW WEB page www.World-Estate.com New real estate web page for all the world tell me wath u think : www.World-Estate.com If You can write me email , then we will make this page beter. Thanks www.World-Estate.com ...

Continuous form / new record
Hi all, I have the following issue.. In a continuous form, for each new record, I have a command button that “creates” a related record...this command button is visible in the “next record” even if a record is not created in the current form. How do I restrict the command button from creating a new related record if the current record is not created..? I hope I managed to explain my problem well... Thanks! On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 23:19:02 -0800, Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: If you setup your db design correctly, the related (child) record CANNOT be...

copying formula with worksheet name-need new formula to have another worksheet name
I want to be able copy a formula from b5 to b6 but have the worksheet name change, i.e.: I have 13 sheets in my workbook; the first sheet is called Summary which is where my formula presides. 2nd sheet,3rd sheet, etc. are called Sal Hrs_Jan10, Sal Hrs_Feb10, etc. My formula in b5 is =+'Sal Hrs_Jan10'!$C$15. I want b6 to say =+'Sal Hrs_Feb10'!$C$15 I want b7 to say =+'Sal Hrs_Mar10'!$C$15 Column a, cell a5 has Jan-10 (this is a date 1/1/2010 formatted as custom, mmm-yy). Can anyone help me??? Put this in B5: =3DINDIRECT("'Sal Hrs_"...

populate data from a list to a new table
Hello, i hope someone has answer to this. i have a list box on a form and from this i am creating a history table. the list box has a row source a query that contains more column then what's showing on the list. how can i append the rest of this column to this new table of history, since i only have couple of items less on the list compared to the query. i could append what i have in the list using this: Dim varItem As Variant Dim prm_sched As Control Dim DBS As Database Dim rst As Recordset Set prm_sched = Me![sched] If prm_sched.ItemsSelected.Coun...

MS Office 2007 have product key no disk drive need link to downld
I have a new netbook without disk drive and already have software licence.Therefore I need the link to download MS Office Small Business 2007 and then use my product key Where did you get the key? I assume it was in an email - the link should be there. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Justin Grainger" <Justin Grainger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92E81A55-B7BD-49A5-86BF-F9BFEB698214@microsoft.com... >I have a new netbook without disk drive and already have ...