Isn't Outlook 2003 supposed to ask me to turn off the Out of Office status when I log in?

Hello!

IIRC in the past, Outlook 2003 (using MS Exchange for e-mails) would
prompt me if I want to turn off its auto-reply for Out of Office status
I manually set a few days before. However this morning from my three
days weekend, it didn't ask me that and a co-worker noticed that it was
sending auto-reply messages.

Is this a bug or did I miss something? Thank you in advance. :)
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst

Phillip Pi wrote:
> IIRC in the past, Outlook 2003 (using MS Exchange for e-mails) would
> prompt me if I want to turn off its auto-reply for Out of Office
> status I manually set a few days before. However this morning from my
> three days weekend, it didn't ask me that and a co-worker noticed
> that it was sending auto-reply messages.
>
> Is this a bug or did I miss something? Thank you in advance. :)

I don't know of any bugs.  But, just to make sure, did you shut down your
computer over the weekend, or was it on but locked?

--
f.h.

0
f.h.muffman (751)
3/26/2007 8:34:47 PM
On 3/26/2007 1:34 PM PT, F.H. Muffman wrote:

>> IIRC in the past, Outlook 2003 (using MS Exchange for e-mails) would
>> prompt me if I want to turn off its auto-reply for Out of Office
>> status I manually set a few days before. However this morning from my
>> three days weekend, it didn't ask me that and a co-worker noticed
>> that it was sending auto-reply messages.
>>
>> Is this a bug or did I miss something? Thank you in advance. :)
>
> I don't know of any bugs.  But, just to make sure, did you shut down your
> computer over the weekend, or was it on but locked?

I never turn off/suspend/hibernate my machines. I do exit Outlook when I
am gone for the day(s).
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com
Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer. Thank you.
0
phillip_pi (23)
3/27/2007 1:16:06 AM
Phillip Pi wrote:
>>> IIRC in the past, Outlook 2003 (using MS Exchange for e-mails) would
>>> prompt me if I want to turn off its auto-reply for Out of Office
>>> status I manually set a few days before. However this morning from
>>> my three days weekend, it didn't ask me that and a co-worker noticed
>>> that it was sending auto-reply messages.
>>>
>>> Is this a bug or did I miss something? Thank you in advance. :)
>>
>> I don't know of any bugs.  But, just to make sure, did you shut down
>> your computer over the weekend, or was it on but locked?
>
> I never turn off/suspend/hibernate my machines. I do exit Outlook
> when I am gone for the day(s).

It sounds like Outlook might not have shut down completely.  Do you have any
add-on's in Outlook?    If you go to File - Exit, and then pull up Task
Manager, is outlook.exe one of the running processes?   What about 10
minutes later?

--
f.h.

0
f.h.muffman (751)
3/27/2007 1:24:33 AM
On 3/26/2007 6:24 PM PT, F.H. Muffman wrote:

>>> I don't know of any bugs.  But, just to make sure, did you shut down
>>> your computer over the weekend, or was it on but locked?
>> I never turn off/suspend/hibernate my machines. I do exit Outlook
>> when I am gone for the day(s).
>
> It sounds like Outlook might not have shut down completely.  Do you have any
> add-on's in Outlook?    If you go to File - Exit, and then pull up Task
> Manager, is outlook.exe one of the running processes?   What about 10
> minutes later?

AFAIK, I don't think I have any addons. No idea if my outlook.exe was
running at that time. I just exited it now to check, and it goes away.

If outlook.exe didn't quit properly, wouldn't I not get a MS Exchange
login prompt when Outlook is launched?
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com
Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer. Thank you.
0
phillip_pi (23)
3/27/2007 2:26:00 AM
Phillip Pi wrote:
>>> I never turn off/suspend/hibernate my machines. I do exit Outlook
>>> when I am gone for the day(s).
>> It sounds like Outlook might not have shut down completely.  Do you
>> have any add-on's in Outlook?    If you go to File - Exit, and then
>> pull up Task Manager, is outlook.exe one of the running processes?  What
>> about 10 minutes later?
> AFAIK, I don't think I have any addons. No idea if my outlook.exe was
> running at that time. I just exited it now to check, and it goes away.
>
> If outlook.exe didn't quit properly, wouldn't I not get a MS Exchange
> login prompt when Outlook is launched?

If outlook.exe is still running, you will (most likely) not get prompted.
If outlook.exe is *not* still running, you will (most likely) get prompted.

Do you normally get prompted to get into Exchange?  And if you do, were you
this morning?

--
f.h.

0
f.h.muffman (751)
3/27/2007 3:06:58 AM
On 3/26/2007 8:06 PM PT, F.H. Muffman wrote:

>>> It sounds like Outlook might not have shut down completely.  Do you
>>> have any add-on's in Outlook?    If you go to File - Exit, and then
>>> pull up Task Manager, is outlook.exe one of the running processes?  What
>>> about 10 minutes later?

>> AFAIK, I don't think I have any addons. No idea if my outlook.exe was
>> running at that time. I just exited it now to check, and it goes away.
>>
>> If outlook.exe didn't quit properly, wouldn't I not get a MS Exchange
>> login prompt when Outlook is launched?
>
> If outlook.exe is still running, you will (most likely) not get prompted.
> If outlook.exe is *not* still running, you will (most likely) get prompted.
>
> Do you normally get prompted to get into Exchange?  And if you do, were you
> this morning?

Yes, I always get prompts to log in Exchange to be able to send/receive
e-mails in Outlook 2003. And yes for this morning. I remember I had to
re-enter my password because I messed up on my first attempt (bad typist).
--
"Better (to be) an ant's head than a lion's tail." --Armenian and Maltese
    /\___/\
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
philpi (11)
3/27/2007 5:56:42 AM
Ant wrote:

>>> AFAIK, I don't think I have any addons. No idea if my outlook.exe
>>> was running at that time. I just exited it now to check, and it
>>> goes away. If outlook.exe didn't quit properly, wouldn't I not get a MS
>>> Exchange login prompt when Outlook is launched?
>>
>> If outlook.exe is still running, you will (most likely) not get
>> prompted. If outlook.exe is *not* still running, you will (most
>> likely) get prompted. Do you normally get prompted to get into Exchange?
>> And if you do,
>> were you this morning?
>
> Yes, I always get prompts to log in Exchange to be able to
> send/receive e-mails in Outlook 2003. And yes for this morning. I
> remember I had to re-enter my password because I messed up on my
> first attempt (bad typist).

Well, then, yes, it should have reminded you.

If you turn on OOF, Exit out of Outlook, make sure outlook.exe isn't still
running and restart Outlook, does it prompt you now?  In other words, was it
a one-time event, or does it happen 'every' time?

--
f.h.

0
f.h.muffman (751)
3/27/2007 6:32:28 PM
On 3/27/2007 11:32 AM PT, F.H. Muffman wrote:

>>> If outlook.exe is still running, you will (most likely) not get
>>> prompted. If outlook.exe is *not* still running, you will (most
>>> likely) get prompted. Do you normally get prompted to get into Exchange?
>>> And if you do,
>>> were you this morning?
>> Yes, I always get prompts to log in Exchange to be able to
>> send/receive e-mails in Outlook 2003. And yes for this morning. I
>> remember I had to re-enter my password because I messed up on my
>> first attempt (bad typist).
>
> Well, then, yes, it should have reminded you.
>
> If you turn on OOF, Exit out of Outlook, make sure outlook.exe isn't still
> running and restart Outlook, does it prompt you now?  In other words, was it
> a one-time event, or does it happen 'every' time?

OK, I just tested it again. I set and enabled the Out of Office's
autoresponder with "test (ignore)" message. Exited Outlook. Outlook.exe
was not running according to Windows' Task Manager. I sent a test e-mail
from an outside account to my e-mail address and got the autoreply fast.
I launched Outlook, logged in successfully, and did NOT get a prompt.

Odd. I wonder if IT or something disabled this prompt. Or maybe I did
something by accident? Since I only had seen the prompt once or twice in
my life, does it show "never ask again" option? If so, then where I can
undo this?
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com
Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer. Thank you.
0
phillip_pi (23)
3/27/2007 6:42:53 PM
Phillip Pi wrote:
> OK, I just tested it again. I set and enabled the Out of Office's
> autoresponder with "test (ignore)" message. Exited Outlook.
> Outlook.exe was not running according to Windows' Task Manager. I
> sent a test e-mail from an outside account to my e-mail address and
> got the autoreply fast. I launched Outlook, logged in successfully,
> and did NOT get a prompt.
> Odd. I wonder if IT or something disabled this prompt. Or maybe I did
> something by accident? Since I only had seen the prompt once or twice
> in my life, does it show "never ask again" option? If so, then where
> I can undo this?

Pretty sure it isn't an IT configurable thing, and I'm not sure if it has a
'Don't prompt me again' option, and I'm not sure how one would turn it off.

Do you have anyone who could try turning on their OOF to see if they do get
prompted?  While I have a habit of searching for the most complex of
solutions, my initial thought is that, for some reason, the notification frm
the server to your machine isn't going through.  If you have an IT
department, you might want to pull them into the problem as well.

--
f.h.

0
f.h.muffman (751)
3/28/2007 3:08:43 AM
On 3/27/2007 8:08 PM PT, F.H. Muffman wrote:

>> OK, I just tested it again. I set and enabled the Out of Office's
>> autoresponder with "test (ignore)" message. Exited Outlook.
>> Outlook.exe was not running according to Windows' Task Manager. I
>> sent a test e-mail from an outside account to my e-mail address and
>> got the autoreply fast. I launched Outlook, logged in successfully,
>> and did NOT get a prompt.
>> Odd. I wonder if IT or something disabled this prompt. Or maybe I did
>> something by accident? Since I only had seen the prompt once or twice
>> in my life, does it show "never ask again" option? If so, then where
>> I can undo this?
>
> Pretty sure it isn't an IT configurable thing, and I'm not sure if it has a
> 'Don't prompt me again' option, and I'm not sure how one would turn it off.
>
> Do you have anyone who could try turning on their OOF to see if they do get
> prompted?  While I have a habit of searching for the most complex of
> solutions, my initial thought is that, for some reason, the notification frm
> the server to your machine isn't going through.  If you have an IT
> department, you might want to pull them into the problem as well.

Thanks. I will try that. If not, then I will just live it. I guess it is
a rare incident then. I did ask a coworker and he said he had similiar
issues when he used it recently. Odd.
--
"The ants and termites have renounced the Hobbesian war." --Petr Kropotkin
    /\___/\
   / /\ /\ \    Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
philpi (11)

outlook will not save my outgoing mail

Menu options is on auto hide. How I turned off this?
The menu on my Excell sheets is on aito-hide. How can I turned this off? In xl2003 menus: Tools|Customize|Options tab|check always show full menus Charlie wrote: > > The menu on my Excell sheets is on aito-hide. How can I turned this off? -- Dave Peterson Which version of Excel? 2003 Tools>Customize>Options Enable "Always show full menus" 2007 ??? Haven't found it yet............try help Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 08:54:10 -0800, Charlie <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >The menu on my Excel...

find action on log file

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Outlook Sales

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

cannot open hyper links in outlook