Is it possible to remotely administer Outlook 2003 Address Books?

Is it possible to remotely administer Outlook Address Books via reg key
or group policy?  I need to remove several Public Folder Address books
from showing up in users Outlook Address book and the only way I know
how is to go around 300 workstations and do this manually.

0
pastrano (4)

you could remove their permissions from the Public folder.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

<pastrano@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to remotely administer Outlook Address Books via reg key
> or group policy?  I need to remove several Public Folder Address books
> from showing up in users Outlook Address book and the only way I know
> how is to go around 300 workstations and do this manually.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
12/26/2006 10:27:50 PM
Adding a little to Diane's post, folder-level permissions are stored ... on
the folder. Get the free PFDavAdmin tool from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=635BE792-D8AD-49E3-ADA4-E2422C0AB424.
It can manage and report on mailbox folder permissions, as well as public
folder permissions.  More info is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/05/BlogTales/?related=/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/05/BlogTales
A Guide To Public Folder Tools

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4

<pastrano@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to remotely administer Outlook Address Books via reg key
> or group policy?  I need to remove several Public Folder Address books
> from showing up in users Outlook Address book and the only way I know
> how is to go around 300 workstations and do this manually.

0
hhh6225 (363)
12/26/2006 10:38:18 PM
Thanks for responding soo fast!  :)

I tried that and when the Public Folder is set to show up first in the
Address Book, when creating a new email message and then clicking on
the To, I receive an error: "The address list could not be displayed.
The Contacts folder associated with this address list could not be
opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have
permissions."

I would want the users not to experience any warnings or errors.

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I] wrote:
> Adding a little to Diane's post, folder-level permissions are stored ... on
> the folder. Get the free PFDavAdmin tool from
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=635BE792-D8AD-49E3-ADA4-E2422C0AB424.
> It can manage and report on mailbox folder permissions, as well as public
> folder permissions.  More info is here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/05/BlogTales/?related=/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/05/BlogTales
> A Guide To Public Folder Tools
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4
> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> <pastrano@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to remotely administer Outlook Address Books via reg key
> > or group policy?  I need to remove several Public Folder Address books
> > from showing up in users Outlook Address book and the only way I know
> > how is to go around 300 workstations and do this manually.

0
pastrano (4)
12/26/2006 10:49:53 PM
You'd have to run a script on each machine to set the =
MAPIFolder.ShowAsOutlookAB property for that folder to False.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
  =20
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3D635BE792-D8AD-=
49E3-ADA4-E2422C0AB424.
>> It can manage and report on mailbox folder permissions, as well as =
public
>> folder permissions.  More info is here:
>>
>> =
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/05/BlogTales/?rel=
ated=3D/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/05/BlogTales
>> A Guide To Public Folder Tools
>>
>> Hal
>> --
>> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
>> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
>> http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
>> KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4
>> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>>
>> <pastrano@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Is it possible to remotely administer Outlook Address Books via reg =
key
>> > or group policy?  I need to remove several Public Folder Address =
books
>> > from showing up in users Outlook Address book and the only way I =
know
>> > how is to go around 300 workstations and do this manually.

0
suemvp (4038)