is it possible to export my outlook email files to some standard format ?

 I am trying to save all my email messages because I want to try to
install linux. One might think there was some way to export your email
file to some standard format, but alas It seems I can only export to
Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange from Outlook Express 6.  Where
is the mail file located ? maybe I can decipher most of it with a perl
script or something if there is no other means. Perhaps a linux program
like one in open office can read it ?

__/ [ surfunbear@yahoo.com ] on Sunday 27 August 2006 17:16 \__

>  I am trying to save all my email messages because I want to try to
> install linux. One might think there was some way to export your email
> file to some standard format, but alas It seems I can only export to
> Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange from Outlook Express 6.  Where
> is the mail file located ? maybe I can decipher most of it with a perl
> script or something if there is no other means. Perhaps a linux program
> like one in open office can read it ?

Hi,

I wrote this several times before, so I'll be brief. What you ought to do is
install Mozilla Thunderbird and allow it to import mail, settings, and
addresses from the local Outlook installation. The first-run wizard will
handle this. Then, take your Thunderbird profile directory (as it is) and
graft it onto Thunderbird on Linux. And Voila! All your Outlook 'material'
(even settings) is in mint condition under Thunderbird in Linux, stored in
standard formats. You have broken the shackles and are now prepared to swing
onto any other application that is standards-friendly (e.g. KMail,
Evolution).

Hope it help.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |     GNU/Linux     �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
surfunbear@yahoo.com writes:

>  I am trying to save all my email messages because I want to try to
> install linux. One might think there was some way to export your email
> file to some standard format, but alas It seems I can only export to
> Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange from Outlook Express 6.  Where
> is the mail file located ? maybe I can decipher most of it with a perl
> script or something if there is no other means. Perhaps a linux program
> like one in open office can read it ?

There are loads of ways. Use google.

Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them.
Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports.
Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups.

You can also find some good Outlook Express information here:

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, surfunbear@yahoo.com asked:

| I am trying to save all my email messages because I want to try to
| install linux. One might think there was some way to export your email
| file to some standard format, but alas It seems I can only export to
| Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange from Outlook Express 6.  Where
| is the mail file located ? maybe I can decipher most of it with a perl
| script or something if there is no other means. Perhaps a linux
| program like one in open office can read it ?

0
MillyS (3228)

Window panes in Outlook 2003
Just got 2003 and find a third window pane on the far right which is a preview pane for the selected e-mail, evidently. I can find no way to eliminate the window pane. Is there a way to remove this pane? How? I've tried every VIEW combination with no success. View > Reading Pane > Off doesn't work? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "jay" <jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C953EF40-873E-4A04-93A8-FE101A547D0D@microsoft.com... > Just got 2003 and find a third window pane on the far right which is a > preview pane for the selected e-m...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Crash on 'Send"

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

MS Money 95 data files

Hello all, I have a rather simple to describe but difficult to solve problem. Our customers want to use our ANSI MFC program to show different languages. For example Polish. When I set the font for the different controls they behave different. For example the CEdit shows the polish characters just right but the CButton with checkbox style shows glyphs instead of the special characters. Every control that is owner draw and uses for example the DrawText() function of the device context shows the characters right. I've experimented with _UNICODE for the display part and everything I could ...

cant start outlook pst file to large

Outlook 2003

hyperlinking email addresses

Where is the workspace file stored?