Installing Outlook 2003 using Custom Wizard

I am installing Outlook 2003 using the custom installation wizard.  This was
working fine for some time.  Now, someone in my group must have modified the
settings because when I install Office using this MST file the local Outlook
Contacts are not showing in the GAL.  When I go to the properties and try to
add it the check box for "Show this folder as an email address book" is
greyed out.  I have to go in and manually add the Outlook Address book.  Can
anyone tell me what setting I can change in my Outlook custom install
settings for the MST to make this available by default?  I have tried adding
the Outlook Address Book in the additional components area of the custom
installation wizard buit this does not seem to do the trick?

Thanks and sorry fort the long posting

Philip Wilhelm
Tectura

First, let's get some terminology straight. The GAL and a user's =
Contacts folder in their mailbox are two different address lists. A =
user's contacts would never appear in the GAL.=20

Now, on to the real problem: Under some circumstances, the Outlook =
Address Book service will not get added to a new mail profile, even =
though the .mst file includes a .prf file that should add it. The =
solution is to use the CIW to create another .prf file and just export =
it from the CIW; don't include it in the .mst file. In this one, you'll =
want to set it to modify the existing profile, not create an Exchange =
account, and add the Outlook Address Book. You can deploy that .prf file =
as an additional file with the CIW installation, post in on your =
intranet, etc. and tell users to run it if they have problems getting =
their Contacts to show up in the Outlook Address Book.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Philip Wilhelm" <philip@the-wilhelms.com> wrote in message =
>I am installing Outlook 2003 using the custom installation wizard.  =
This was=20
> working fine for some time.  Now, someone in my group must have =
modified the=20
> settings because when I install Office using this MST file the local =
Outlook=20
> Contacts are not showing in the GAL.  When I go to the properties and =
try to=20
> add it the check box for "Show this folder as an email address book" =
is=20
> greyed out.  I have to go in and manually add the Outlook Address =
book.  Can=20
> anyone tell me what setting I can change in my Outlook custom install=20
> settings for the MST to make this available by default?  I have tried =
adding=20
> the Outlook Address Book in the additional components area of the =
custom=20
> installation wizard buit this does not seem to do the trick?
>=20
> Thanks and sorry fort the long posting
>=20
> Philip Wilhelm
> Tectura=20
>=20

0
suemvp (4038)
2/15/2006 7:21:24 PM
Thanks.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Philip Wilhelm" <philip@the-wilhelms.com> wrote in message
>I am installing Outlook 2003 using the custom installation wizard.  This
>was
> working fine for some time.  Now, someone in my group must have modified
> the
> settings because when I install Office using this MST file the local
> Outlook
> Contacts are not showing in the GAL.  When I go to the properties and try
> add it the check box for "Show this folder as an email address book" is
> greyed out.  I have to go in and manually add the Outlook Address book.
> Can
> anyone tell me what setting I can change in my Outlook custom install
> settings for the MST to make this available by default?  I have tried
> adding
> the Outlook Address Book in the additional components area of the custom
> installation wizard buit this does not seem to do the trick?
>
> Thanks and sorry fort the long posting
>
> Philip Wilhelm
> Tectura

Sue:

Has a fix been issued yet to resolve this Outlook Address Book Service with

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> First, let's get some terminology straight. The GAL and a user's Contacts folder in their mailbox are two different address lists. A user's contacts would never appear in the GAL.
>
> Now, on to the real problem: Under some circumstances, the Outlook Address Book service will not get added to a new mail profile, even though the .mst file includes a .prf file that should add it. The solution is to use the CIW to create another .prf file and just export it from the CIW; don't include it in the .mst file. In this one, you'll want to set it to modify the existing profile, not create an Exchange account, and add the Outlook Address Book. You can deploy that .prf file as an additional file with the CIW installation, post in on your intranet, etc. and tell users to run it if they have problems getting their Contacts to show up in the Outlook Address Book.
>
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>    Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>      http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm
>    and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>      Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>      http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>

> "Philip Wilhelm" <philip@the-wilhelms.com> wrote in message news:uwAa5AmMGHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >I am installing Outlook 2003 using the custom installation wizard.  This was
> > working fine for some time.  Now, someone in my group must have modified the
> > settings because when I install Office using this MST file the local Outlook
> > Contacts are not showing in the GAL.  When I go to the properties and try to
> > add it the check box for "Show this folder as an email address book" is
> > greyed out.  I have to go in and manually add the Outlook Address book.  Can
> > anyone tell me what setting I can change in my Outlook custom install
> > settings for the MST to make this available by default?  I have tried adding
> > the Outlook Address Book in the additional components area of the custom
> > installation wizard buit this does not seem to do the trick?
> >
> > Thanks and sorry fort the long posting
> >
> > Philip Wilhelm
> > Tectura

0
Mattingly (1)
3/13/2006 3:27:27 PM
No fix yet.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"R Mattingly" <R Mattingly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
> Sue:
>=20
> Has a fix been issued yet to resolve this Outlook Address Book Service =
with=20
> the Custom Installation Wizard?
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>=20
>> First, let's get some terminology straight. The GAL and a user's =
Contacts folder in their mailbox are two different address lists. A =
user's contacts would never appear in the GAL.=20
>>=20
>> Now, on to the real problem: Under some circumstances, the Outlook =
Address Book service will not get added to a new mail profile, even =
though the .mst file includes a .prf file that should add it. The =
solution is to use the CIW to create another .prf file and just export =
it from the CIW; don't include it in the .mst file. In this one, you'll =
want to set it to modify the existing profile, not create an Exchange =
account, and add the Outlook Address Book. You can deploy that .prf file =
as an additional file with the CIW installation, post in on your =
intranet, etc. and tell users to run it if they have problems getting =
their Contacts to show up in the Outlook Address Book.=20

>>=20
>> "Philip Wilhelm" <philip@the-wilhelms.com> wrote in message =
>> >I am installing Outlook 2003 using the custom installation wizard.  =
This was=20
>> > working fine for some time.  Now, someone in my group must have =
modified the=20
>> > settings because when I install Office using this MST file the =
local Outlook=20
>> > Contacts are not showing in the GAL.  When I go to the properties =
and try to=20
>> > add it the check box for "Show this folder as an email address =
book" is=20
>> > greyed out.  I have to go in and manually add the Outlook Address =
book.  Can=20
>> > anyone tell me what setting I can change in my Outlook custom =
install=20
>> > settings for the MST to make this available by default?  I have =
tried adding=20
>> > the Outlook Address Book in the additional components area of the =
custom=20
>> > installation wizard buit this does not seem to do the trick?
>> >=20
>> > Thanks and sorry fort the long posting
>> >=20
>> > Philip Wilhelm