Insert attachment file path as text into message.

I'm using Outlook 2002.

When I get a message with an attachment, I :-
1 - file the attachment into an appropiate directory on my hard disk
relating to the content.
2 - remove the attachment from the message
3 - copy the file path using Directory Opus (a replacement Windows
Explorer)
4 - Paste the file path into the message body
5 - save the message into an appropiate outlook directory

So I can always retrieve attachements that arrived with messages when I
need to.

I've looked at various add-ins but they all seem to automatically  save
the attachments in pre defined directories, which I do not want to do,
I want to select a directory depending on the attachment content.

Any clues anybody??

I get emails from some people that already have the attachment name in
the message body e.g. <streams.doc> which would be good enough as well,
but I believe that these messages are from Exchange Server systems.
Any way I can achieve the same thing without the long winded process I
currently use?

Regards Alan F.

0
googly-al (4)

if you can write outlook vba, you can create a procedure to automate this.

see outlookcode.com for help - a sample you can build on is at
http://www.outlook-tips.net/saveatt.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

<googly-al@ashbourne-town.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Outlook 2002.
>
> When I get a message with an attachment, I :-
> 1 - file the attachment into an appropiate directory on my hard disk
> relating to the content.
> 2 - remove the attachment from the message
> 3 - copy the file path using Directory Opus (a replacement Windows
> Explorer)
> 4 - Paste the file path into the message body
> 5 - save the message into an appropiate outlook directory
>
> So I can always retrieve attachements that arrived with messages when I
> need to.
>
> I've looked at various add-ins but they all seem to automatically  save
> the attachments in pre defined directories, which I do not want to do,
> I want to select a directory depending on the attachment content.
>
> Any clues anybody??
>
> I get emails from some people that already have the attachment name in
> the message body e.g. <streams.doc> which would be good enough as well,
> but I believe that these messages are from Exchange Server systems.
> Any way I can achieve the same thing without the long winded process I
> currently use?
>
> Regards Alan F.

0
outlookmvp (5838)

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

CSV File Problem

CFile (delete file)

Attachments in Outlook 98
Hi there, my Organisation are using Exchange 5.5 SP4 and the client is Outlook 98. A mail is sent from an external source into our Organisation to 10 people. The mail has an XLS attached. For some reason 9 of the recipients get the attachment but the last one has no attachment and no reference to it in the mail she receives. I've checked all the Outlook settings I can think of, but am puzzled as to why this happens - checking the imc data from our Exchange I see that the correct RFC headers are present and that the user has the same reference as all the others in the header. Anyone any ide...

import a 123 file

Messages Cut off
A recipient receives forwarded mail messages that are cut off in random locations throughout the email. Outlook 2000 with latest SP. Any ideas? ...

Public Folder link to Excel File

Interface not registered message

Outlook Hangs Reading Messages

Isinteg Warning Message Question

Renaming Partial File Names

Couldn't Find c:\windows\system32\system.mdw Message
Loaded Access 97 on my new Vista Machine and got the above message when I tried to start Access. How do I fix this ? Vista has more stringent rules about who, and how you can write to the System32 (or Windows for that matter) folder. If you have another machine with and unsecured system.mdw file try to copy it to your new one. If it lets you, you are fine, if not you'll need to work with someone in a Vista newsgroup to figure out what the problem is. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "JWalker" <JWalker...

Duplicate Messages

printing imported gif files in Excel

unknown .edb file

attachment previewers not installed?

Shortcut for inserting names?
Hi, I am building many formulas, each with many named cells as part of it. Currently I have to go to Insert | Name | Paste with the mouse each time I want to insert a name. I looked in Walkenbach's Excel Bible but couldn't find any mention of a keyboard shortcut or other shortcut. Is there one I could take advantage of? I've got Excel 2002. Thanks, Jamie ...