Initial connection to Outlook SLOW!

When I first open Outlook and enter my username/password it takes
approximately 5 minutes to connect and update my Inbox.  I leave it
running in the taskbar all day and subsequent updates are fine.

Furthermore, if I connect from home I do not have this problem.  Only
when I'm at work.  We recently switched ISP's from SBC DSL to T1
through a private ISP.  Any thoughts?  It's not a huge problem, but I'd
like to fix it if it's a simple task.

0
rlynnes (1)

what type of email account do you have? is there a firewall in place? how
many people are using the T1?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

<rlynnes@gmail.com> wrote in message
> When I first open Outlook and enter my username/password it takes
> approximately 5 minutes to connect and update my Inbox.  I leave it
> running in the taskbar all day and subsequent updates are fine.
>
> Furthermore, if I connect from home I do not have this problem.  Only
> when I'm at work.  We recently switched ISP's from SBC DSL to T1
> through a private ISP.  Any thoughts?  It's not a huge problem, but I'd
> like to fix it if it's a simple task.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
8/4/2006 5:55:13 PM
Account is company account, connecting to our remote Exchange server.
There is a firewall in place, but I do not know particulars.  The only
thing that baffles me (if it is a firewall issue) is that we used the
same firewall when we were using SBC DSL as our provider.  Why would it
cause problems now with only a new ISP?  5 people using the T1 at one
time, max.

Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
> what type of email account do you have? is there a firewall in place? how
> many people are using the T1?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> <rlynnes@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > When I first open Outlook and enter my username/password it takes
> > approximately 5 minutes to connect and update my Inbox.  I leave it
> > running in the taskbar all day and subsequent updates are fine.
> >
> > Furthermore, if I connect from home I do not have this problem.  Only
> > when I'm at work.  We recently switched ISP's from SBC DSL to T1
> > through a private ISP.  Any thoughts?  It's not a huge problem, but I'd
> > like to fix it if it's a simple task.

Configuring Remote Desktop Connection to launch program.
I have used Remote Desktop Connection for years now and find it very useful in providing remote support for my clients. Or for my clients to log into there own system from a remote site. Currently, I’m attempting to use RDC with an additional need for security. I need the program to automatically launch an Act 2009 database upon connecting to a Windows XP Professional system. Note the system being accessed is running Windows XP Pro SP-3, not a server, and the remote user is using Vista Premium. Here is my dilemma: I can set the “remote” user’s RDC to run a program upon connection, ...

outlook 2007 calendar week view
Hi, I am using mostly the calendar in week view, settings 1 week mo-su workday 8am till 10 pm, time scale 60 min which (almost) gives me a full view of my week. Although I like the improvements to outlook, what unbelievably irrates me is the fact that when move back and forth to this view it always shows (scrolls) to 2am as a starting time (I am not a morning person, and I will in 99.99999% of the cases have nothing going on before 7am so all what comes earlier is completely useless to me. Is there anyway to changes this so I can see all till midnight (I do stuff late evening) without...

configuring outlook for exchange server 2--3
When adding an exchange server to outlook, outlook cannot contact the exchange server by dns name or by ip address, yet from the command prompt the pc can ping the ip address and and resolve the dns name of the exchange server. The error message says that outlook could not resolve the address. Have tried reinstalling outlook 2003, no difference. This is not common to all PCs, which are all 2k sp4. It is not a mailbox problem! Any ideas?? You've established that it is not the server so it must be the client. Any AV with port blocking rules? This would explain the ping and name ...

worksheet very slow in calculation
Whenever I change, some change in worksheet, it starts recalculating formula everytime thereby taking so much time to return to READY Mode. Earlier it was not the case. What should be done to return to orginal condition? -- Thanks n Regards Deepak G India It may so happen that when the workbook size increases . you may split your data into more than one workbook. regards rajesh "Deepak G" wrote: > Whenever I change, some change in worksheet, it starts recalculating formula > everytime thereby taking so much time to return to READY Mode. Earlier it was > not the cas...

Merge/connect cells without loss of data?
Hi everyone, stupid question I did not find an answer for even after a long search: I have an Excel table with cells which contain fax numbers. One cell i a row contains the dialling code, the next cell in this row contains th fax number. For a series-letter I created with Word, these two cells have to b merged into ONE, so Word can read the fax number including the diallin code in "one piece". So, for example, I merge A1 ("040") with B1 ("636465"), the resul should be A1 ("040636465"). But the standard procedure to merge/connec cells in Excel only ...

IMAP in Outlook
Hi all! I have just changed from Windows Mail (OE) to Outlook 2003. It works fine for me, because I want to use the calender and contacts so that I can synchronize them with my mobile phone. The only problem is... E-mail. I am using an IMAP-server, which worked fine in Windows Mail and OE. I could set a 'base folder' (INBOX) so that my sent items folder really was the sent items folder, the bin really the bin etc. In Outlook I see no such option. Also, SPAM control doesn't work for IMAP folders in Outlook, while it _did_ in Windows Mail (do I need an Office upgrade? Hope n...

Is it possible to enlarge fonts in Outlook 2003 Navigation Pane?
Hello, I have a user with a visual disability and she needs big fonts. Recently, she has said her navigation pane has gone back to the default font settings and she needs them to be large again. Note: she wants to change only her Outlook view; she is resisting going to the display settings and using large fonts there. I need to know if this is possible to do, without making everything in her windows setup large. I don't see an option to attach a screen shot, so here is a link to show what area I'm talking about. <a href="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/44408...

using UDL to connect to Foxpro database
Hi all, It seems that microsoft is no longer supporting ODBC connection to Visual Foxpro 9. Instead, it is recommended to use OLE database provider. I have created the connection information to be used with the OLE driver (UDL file) but I can't find how to use it from within the pivot table "get data" wizard. I can only see the ODBC connections. Can anybody help? Thanks ...

Outlook continues to run in the background after exiting program
Hello all, I am having a problem with Outlook XP on my home computer. I am running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 and all security and critical updates installed on this machine. Recently, I have noticed that Outlook continues to check for e-mail or bring up event alerts even after I have exited the program using the Exit option in the File menu. When I bring up the Task Manager and check the running processes, I find OUTLOOK.EXE still running in the background. I then force the program to quit to stop Outlook from checking for new e-mails or bringing up event alert...

Cannot Direct Email via Mail Merge from the Outlook Client
Has anyone had a problem where the Organization Setting of Direct Email = 'Yes' and the Bulk Email service is running, but the Outlook Client still throws the popup warning that Direct Mail is turned off? Does something else need to be set? ...

Exch 5.5 - Outlook
We have had an Exchange 5.5 server running for years as a POP3 Server, and are trying to upgrade everyone to Outlook to take full advantage of Exchange functionality. After I switch my profile to Exchange instead of POP3, and connect, I can send and receive email internally fine. I can also receive email externally fine. However, if I try to send an email to outside, the second the message is sent, I get an Undeliverable message. The message reads: Your message To: 'support@glibix.com' Subject: Web Site Backup Sent: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 13:50:39 -0400 did not rea...

converting a web page in MS Publisher 2002 to Outlook Stationary
Hi I have been trying to convert a web page which I have created in MS Publisher 2002 and saved as a web page to MS Outlook as stationary. However, for some reason when I create the stationary in Outlook it does not reproduce exactly as how I created it in MS Publisher. The Logo & and picture I created in Publisher does not reproduce when I try call up the stationary I created using this template. Does anyone have any answers. Thanks. Bill ...

Calendar changes in Outlook 2003 not showing up following mailbox move
We have recently migrated some of our users from our native Exchange 2000 Server over to Exchange 2003. All clients are using Outlook 2003. Previously, the admin would keep the calendars of her two managers open within her own calendar pane, and new meeting agendas that she sent would appear immediately as "tenative" on the calendars of her two managers. However, after migrating her and her managers to the new Exchange 2003 server, her managers' calendar isn't being updated automatically nor immediately. (if at all). If she sets meeting agendas for users still on the olde...

"Settings" and KB unavailable when Outlook is running (CRM 3.0)
Does anyone else find it rather ridiculous that the options available in the CRM 3.0 web client completely change when Outlook is running? Evidently this is "by design" but was a very poor design choice in my opinion. Users like to have a consistent experience, and when options start disappearing it confuses people. It also makes it very difficult to build a Knowledge Base and set up users, considering most people will probably be copying and pasting text from email messages to build the KB. The way it's set up now, you would have to find the email message you want, co...

How do I delete or hide folders in my Outlook folder list?
I just upgraded from Microsoft Office 2000 Professional to 2007 Professional. I don't use all the bells and whistles provided by Outlook Express. I want to clean up my folder list by hiding many of them. When I go through some of the drop-down menus, I see clicks for deleting some of the folders, but they are "grayed" and will not respond to a click. Can anyone help me? Joan 72438 wrote: > I just upgraded from Microsoft Office 2000 Professional to 2007 Professional. > I don't use all the bells and whistles provided by Outlook Express. I want > to clean u...

Connecting CRM to exchange
How? I have CRM and Exchange on separate servers. How do i set up message queuing? Or du i install the CRM exchange? Install CRM Email router for exchange on the exchange server. This shoul do the trick. Regards, Ron "Shakudu" <Shakudu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC43F4AA-061A-4803-A0BE-09E44E02696E@microsoft.com... > How? I have CRM and Exchange on separate servers. How do i set up message > queuing? Or du i install the CRM exchange? ...

Can I Customize Outlook 2003 Map Link?
In the Outlook 2003 contact form, the "map link" button attempts to display the location of the contact based on the address information. This feature used to work well, but lately it is extremely slow and often doesn't produce results. I would prefer to use Google Maps. Is there a registry entry I can use to accomplish this? The page http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/displaymap.htm describes how to do this for earlier Outlook versions but this appears to break Outlook 2003. Do I have a workable option? AFAIK, you cannot customize it. it's reportedly broken for older v...

Outlook #208
When I open Outlook, my cursor turns into an hourglass and the program does not open. I've followed the instructions in a couple of support documents for this issue, but I cannot find the entries in the registry that the documents discuss. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. ...

Moving or copying folders in Outlook
When I try to copy a folder between two accounts in Outlook, I get a message saying it can't be done as there may be private messages. I never got this message in 2003. Is this a security feature of 2007? How can I get around it? ...

can't download my msn hotmail on outlook express
Hi Iam a user of MSxp and want to know why Outlook express doesn't let me get my hotmail e-mail, it just stays checking for new messages from hotmail and that's it for the rest of the night. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.publi...

Outlook Professional XP
I had to reload office xp due to my HD going out of business. Now whenever I open and email, ms word is set to be the email editor, the type on the print is so small when I view it. I cannot find a way to mak it so default open mail is at a, let's say 125% view like I can in word. Help boldie11@hotmail.com ...

Outlook 2007: Ctrl+Backspace spits out squares rather than deletes words
I noticed this in the beta release but shrugged it off as a beta bug. I see now that I should have reported it as a bug because it seems to have been rolled out in the RTM release. I have gotten into the habit of hitting Ctrl+Backspace to undo entire words of recently typed text. This is a great time saver. Unfortunately, in Outlook 2007, I am seeing the e-mail editor spit out squares (i.e. valueless Unicode character blocks). It's erratic; I can hold Ctrl down and keep hitting Backspace and it might create two squares, maybe five squares, maybe one, before it will finally "ca...

My inbox messages automatically delete when I close outlook. Why?
Lately when I close outlook all my messages are automatically deleted. I cannot see that they have been moved. And they do not go to the deleted folder. They just seem to disappear. Is there a setting that may have accidentally been set to make this happen? Are you using a Hide read view? look on the View menu to select a different view. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-reque...

News in Go-Menu in Outlook 2003
News has disappeared from the Go-menu in Outlook 2003 and I cannot restore it becuause the command is no longer available in the Customize - Commands menu. Any help would be much appreciated. AA Make sure Outlook Express is set as the default newsreader in Control Panel-> Internet Options-> tab Programs For additional solutions see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/news.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Anthony Allport" <an...

Outlook '03/IE 6.0 Hyperlinks do not work
** Please note that I did post this same question 2 days ago in the General Questions Board and have not received a reply - thought I may try, here, to see if anyone has any input. Thank you. ** Hello - I have Outlook 2003 (SP 1) and Internet Explorer 6.0 (SP 2). I have updates automatically, but, have also gone in to check for any updates and I do not need any. When I click a link in "O.L." (Outlook), the screen goes white, the title bar is still at the top of my page - however, I now see the title of the email PLUS Not Responding. I have to do the 3-finger to get ou...