Inbox and unread box - why?

What's the purpose of having an inbox and an unread box in my outlook 2003.

They both read the same number of messages.  Is it a duplicate?

With Outlook xp, it would simply show a number in black, to let me know the
number of unopened messages.  Now, there seems to be a separate folder
entitled "unread" and it has the exact same number of email messages as my
inbox ... all of time, and has always displayed the exact same number since
I installed it.

Is anyone able to explain this?  I dont' understand it.
Thanks in advance.  Diana

0
flickers (22)

Definitely not a duplicate; it's a Search Folder. The Unread Mail folder
shows the total number of unread mail in your mailbox. This is very
convinient if you are using Wizard Rules to direct mail to different
folders. Lets say you have 5 folder with 5, 3, 4, 8, 9 of unread mail in it.
To read them all/get an overview you previously had to click through these 5
folders to read the 29 mail messages. With the Unread Mail Search Folder
you'll see them in one (virtual) folder.

--
Roady [MVP]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Setting Permissions on a Mailbox

-----
"Dianah" <flickers@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> What's the purpose of having an inbox and an unread box in my outlook
> 2003.
>
> They both read the same number of messages.  Is it a duplicate?
>
> With Outlook xp, it would simply show a number in black, to let me know
> the
> number of unopened messages.  Now, there seems to be a separate folder
> entitled "unread" and it has the exact same number of email messages as my
> inbox ... all of time, and has always displayed the exact same number
> since
> I installed it.
>
> Is anyone able to explain this?  I dont' understand it.
> Thanks in advance.  Diana

0
Roady
5/17/2004 7:31:55 AM
So, if I've already read them ... why are they listed in that folder?  Am I
still missing your point?
Are you saying that it's simply a listing of "all" received emails,
regardless of whether I've read them or not?
Diana

message news:O6HkjD%23OEHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Definitely not a duplicate; it's a Search Folder. The Unread Mail folder
shows the total number of unread mail in your mailbox. This is very
convinient if you are using Wizard Rules to direct mail to different
folders. Lets say you have 5 folder with 5, 3, 4, 8, 9 of unread mail in it.
To read them all/get an overview you previously had to click through these 5
folders to read the 29 mail messages. With the Unread Mail Search Folder
you'll see them in one (virtual) folder.

--
Roady [MVP]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Setting Permissions on a Mailbox

-----
"Dianah" <flickers@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> What's the purpose of having an inbox and an unread box in my outlook
> 2003.
>
> They both read the same number of messages.  Is it a duplicate?
>
> With Outlook xp, it would simply show a number in black, to let me know
> the
> number of unopened messages.  Now, there seems to be a separate folder
> entitled "unread" and it has the exact same number of email messages as my
> inbox ... all of time, and has always displayed the exact same number
> since
> I installed it.
>
> Is anyone able to explain this?  I dont' understand it.
> Thanks in advance.  Diana

0
flickers (22)
5/17/2004 8:43:10 AM
No, the unread folder only displays unread mail. Once you've read them
(marked the messages as read) and switch to another folder and back to the
Unread Mail Search Folder it will be empty.

--

> So, if I've already read them ... why are they listed in that folder?  Am
> still missing your point?
> Are you saying that it's simply a listing of "all" received emails,
> regardless of whether I've read them or not?
> Diana
>
> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
> in
> message news:O6HkjD%23OEHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Definitely not a duplicate; it's a Search Folder. The Unread Mail folder
> shows the total number of unread mail in your mailbox. This is very
> convinient if you are using Wizard Rules to direct mail to different
> folders. Lets say you have 5 folder with 5, 3, 4, 8, 9 of unread mail in
> it.
> To read them all/get an overview you previously had to click through these
> 5
> folders to read the 29 mail messages. With the Unread Mail Search Folder
> you'll see them in one (virtual) folder.
>
> --
> Roady [MVP]
> www.howto-outlook.com
>
> Tips of the month:
> -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox
> -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3
>
> -----
> "Dianah" <flickers@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> What's the purpose of having an inbox and an unread box in my outlook
>> 2003.
>>
>> They both read the same number of messages.  Is it a duplicate?
>>
>> With Outlook xp, it would simply show a number in black, to let me know
>> the
>> number of unopened messages.  Now, there seems to be a separate folder
>> entitled "unread" and it has the exact same number of email messages as
>> my
>> inbox ... all of time, and has always displayed the exact same number
>> since
>> I installed it.
>>
>> Is anyone able to explain this?  I dont' understand it.
>> Thanks in advance.  Diana

0
Roady
5/17/2004 1:05:10 PM
Hi Diana

as far as i know, the 'unread box' is merely a link to your
inbox (since it's only located in your Favorite Folder).
Purpose is to show only the unread mail inside your inbox.
As long as you dont mark or have outlook do the marking of
messages you did read, they will remain 'unread' and thus
be shown in the unread box as well.
If you dont need the unreadbox, simple remove it by
rightclickin on it and choose for remove from fav.folders.

ciaos

0
anonymous (74722)

sent mail box empty
i synchronised my hotmail account using outlook connector however the sent mails from my windows live hotmail account do not reflect on my pc in outlook 2007 kindly let me know what should be done Has the synchronization been fully completed already? Syncing the Sent Items folders is I believe one of the last folders that will be synced. What is reported when you use the Server Status button in the Outlook Connector toolbar? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and ...

Check Box #4
Does anyone know of a way to convert a cell to a check box? We would like to convert the cell rather than using the active X controls on top of it. Thanks. You could double-click the cell and "convert" it to a=20 checkbox: Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target _ As Range, Cancel As Boolean) With ActiveCell .Value =3D "=FC" .Font.Name =3D "Wingdings" .Borders(xlEdgeLeft).LineStyle =3D xlContinuous .Borders(xlEdgeTop).LineStyle =3D xlContinuous .Borders(xlEdgeBottom).LineStyle =3D xlContinuous .Borders(xlEdgeRight).LineSt...

protecting a text box in spreadshhet
This is defeating me I have a text box in an excel sheet, I can protect the sheet ok but the text box always remains unprotected (ie the user could change the text) How do I protect it? thank you. Un-protect the sheet Right-click on edge of TextBox and Format TextBox>Protection Protect the sheet. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:42:21 +0100, "SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: >This is defeating me I have a text box in an excel sheet, I can protect the >sheet ok but the text box always remains unprotected (ie the user could >ch...

Synchronized combo boxes in subform
My two combo boxes work perfectly when I open the subform on it own from the Forms window - but when I open the main form in which the subform resides - the combo boxes in the subform no longer work. Any ideas? Thank you in advance for any help! -Rachel What do these combo boxes do? Can you post the Row Sources and code if any? If they refer to one another, do you use a Me. reference or a Forms!FormName! reference? Use the Me. reference to avoid problems when embedding one form into another. Rachel wrote: >My two combo boxes work perfectly when I open the subform on it own from the...

Using a Check Box in a Subform to select records
I have a Form with a subform and two combo field are used to filter for records in the subform. The records in the subform have a bound check box. When I check one record on the subform and then move my forcus off the subform, every record becomes checked. Any suggestions? Thanks Are you sure the check box is a bound control? The behaviour you are getting suggests that its more likely to be unbound. What does it say in the control's ControlSource property in its properties sheet? If it is bound to a column in the underlying recordset then the behaviour could be explained by ...

Name Box #2
Hi Everybody How do you create Hidden Names for ranges? I would like to name a range of cells and not have the name appear in the drop down Name box, but be able to refer to it in VBA code. I am using Excel 2002 Many thanks Hi PraxisPete, Try something like: '=============>> Public Sub Tester03() With ActiveWorkbook .Names.Add "Test", _ RefersTo:=.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1"), _ Visible:=False End With End Sub '<<============= --- Regards, Norman "PraxisPete" <PraxisPete@discussions.micr...

No Group dialog box appear when working in Pivot Table
I'm trying to group a range of dates in pivot table. According to help files a dialog box should appear when selecting Group..., but nothing happens except a grouping of the entire marked range. How do I go about in order to make the Grouping dialog box show? Best Regards PerD > PerD, This might be something particular to my set-up (XL2K), but I have to build the table initially by specifying the data range *exactly* (click'n'drag on the worksheet) for grouping dates to be an option. If I use a blanket source (eg: A:B) it won't cut it. Try it again from scratch, the...

OWA doesnt display inbox items when clicked on.
I work for a private school, so money isn't flowing endlessly for out IT department. Having said that, we are still using exchange 5.5 (quite comfotably and securely actually). The version of OWA with 5.5 works great for about 95% of my faculty members. However, for a few, they can login to OWA fine and see thier inbox items fine, but when they click on those items to read them, a box appears on screen for a split second, then disappears. It is almost as if their built in pop-up blocker is running, but even disabling that doesnt fix this problem. Any suggestions? thanks in advance jazz ...

how do I assign a variable to a check box or radio control?
I need to assign the value of a radio control or check box when clicked on to a variable, preferably using the SetTemVar macro. Use the AfterUpdate of the control (if it's a stand-alone control), or of the option group (if it's part of an option group) to SetValue (in a macro) or assign the value (in code.) Not sure if it's really a good idea though. Considerations such as: - You can quite easily read the value from the form. - Doesn't work in versions of Access before 2007. - If it's a bound form, the tempvar would not be up to date when you move to a different recor...

Text boxes when mouse goes over the cell.
In a document i have recieved from a client, in excell, when i put my mouse over certain color coded cells, text boxes come out with lengthy descriptions. This sems highly usefull, and i would like to know how to do this. Anyone know? It seems all cells with a colored corner have these descriptions. Select the cell of interest, then: <Insert> <Comment> -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.c...

Is it possible to make a box and whisker plot (box plot) in Excel.
I can't figure out a way to do it using just the Chart Wizard. Hi, Maybe Jon's page(s) on the subject may help. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BoxWhisker.html Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "rfsp" <rfsp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49729C95-E66F-4FE4-96AD-B64B88ECD6B9@microsoft.com... >I can't figure out a way to do it using just the Chart Wizard. Now that I've joined, I see this was just answered a couple of days ago. Sorry for the repeat question. Please ignore. "rfsp"...

Convert File text box appears
I have the capability to to open resumes that have been submitted by potential future employees so that I can assign them to the correct department manager. Just recently I've started having a problem in that some of the resumes, after I launch them, I get a Convert File text window. I've tried every option in this list but I either get an error and nothing opens up or I get the boxes and other strange characters. I believe that the ones that I'm having problems with most likely were created in something other than Word, such as Works, Wordpad, Notepad, etc. I hav...

Getting error message when trying to delete email in Inbox
I get the following error message when I try to delete an email message in the Inbox: "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." I have tried restarting Outlook and rebooting my computer and I still get this message. Email is piling up in my Inbox because I cannot delete it. Any help on how to get around this problem would be much appreciated. ...

empty text box
I am brand new to Access (a Paradox user) and am bewildered by the Text Box issue. I have a report in which I want to add a page footer that states the report is confidential. When I try to go to print view, it asks me to enter a parameter value. this is so frustrating, please help. Thanks! That would not be the problem. It is asking for parameters for the query that is the report's record source. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "peabody" wrote: > I am brand new to Access (a Paradox user) and am bewildered by the Text Box > issue. I have a report in whi...

Unbound text box calculation
Thanks in advance for the assist. My mind went numb... What must I do to have an unbound field only perform the calculation for the current open record that I am working in and not show data in a new records same unbound field when I go to the next record entry? I have an unbound text box on a form - call it Box C. In it's properties control source I have a calculation (i.e. =text box A input / text box B input) that I wish to show within the form prior to moving to the next record. I then wish this field to recalculate or return null (if box A and/or B are empty). Box C ...

Text duplicating itself in text boxes on subform.
I've googled this one high and low, but can't find a similar hit. Client opens employee record with Address subform embedded. The screen shot they sent me shows the data corrupted as follows, with an diminished copy of the text tacked onto the end. Imagine the following, but without the spaces, which I added for clarity. City: Madisonville adisonville disonvi State: KYY Zip: 42431 2431 431 31 1 You can view the actual screen shot here ... http://www.amazecreations.com/datafast/Citrix_Issue.jpg Has anybody ever seen anything like this? If I told you it happens on an Access ...

clearing items shown by the AutoComplete feature in the Advanced Find Dialog box
Hi all, How can I clear the items shown by the AutoComplete feature in the "search for the word(s)" field in the Advanced Find Dialog box?? Thank You Max I found that info in the MRU 1 value in the registry here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Office Finder You can try clearing/deleting that value (of course, the usual cautions apply... export the key first just in case) "max" <a@b.net> wrote in message news:D8ymb.486287$4w.57408106@amsnews03.chello.com... > Hi all, > > How can I clear the items shown by the AutoComplete feat...

Excel: Combo Box
Hi: In Excel, I want a combo box, which can control on each cell. How can I do that? Because after I create the combo box, then cell link is B1, then the combo box only control B1 value, I want it control all cell like this: ___A_B 1____Y 2____N 3____Y 4____N 5... etc.. How do I fix that? Thanks. Thanks. -- accessman2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ accessman2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27953 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474565 Instead of comboboxes, ma...

Reverse Cascading Combo Box's ??
So i've got the whole cascading combo box process down to a T, but now I would like to get a little more sophisticated with it. I have a form with 2 combo box's on it: cboParentName and cboChildName. The combos are set up where they receive parameters from other forms or can be selected by using the drop down menu. That process works. The trick would be when cboChildName receives the parameter from the a different form, it would "auto select" cboParentName with the correct name. Thus limiting cboChildName to the proper list. cboParentName already has the code: cb...

I want my INBOX messages to arrive showing FROM, not TO:
I want my INBOX messages to arrive showing FROM, not TO: Obviously the messages arriving are to ME...one of my profiles is normal and shows who the message is from , but with on eof my profiles, a new message is displayed showing it is TO and my email...I want it to display FROM: and whoever they are. Hi, You can customize the view for each Outlook folder to display only the fields you want to see, as well as in what order you would like the information displayed. To change your view, open the Outlook folder (in your case, the Inbox). Right click on the gray title bar and click on ...

Format in an unbound Text Box
Hi all, I have a form that I have put an unbound text box in, which displays the previous entries from my table. One of my fields is Current Time. Which on my form I set to Short Date (military time). How can I have my unbound text display Short time as well. here is my code (control source of my unbound text box). SELECT DISTINCTROW tblSITLog.[current time], tblSITLog.MONTH, tblSITLog.DAY, tblSITLog.SIT, tblSITLog.[NATURE OF iNCIDENT], tblSITLog.[Case Description], tblSITLog.Incident_Number FROM tblSITLog WHERE (((tblSITLog.[NATURE OF iNCIDENT])="CHRONO ENTRY")) ORDER BY...

Line spacing in text boxes for web pages
For some reason, the text formatting menu in the web page project area doesn't have an option for changing the line spacing from double-spaced. I want the text on my web pages to be single spaced. In all the other projects, you can use the text formatting menu to change the line spacing but I don't see that anywhere on my web page project. Surely, web pages don't *have* to be double- spaced? They *don't* have to be anything. Have you read the HELP file? How *would* we know when *you* don't tell us what version of Publisher you are using!!! Pity you *don't* hav...

want a,j&s to =1 when i type a letter in a box
I would like to make a chart when i type a letter in a box like A,J,S would = 1 and BK&t would = 2 and so on If you provide more information, someone may be able to help you. Is the box on a UserForm, or on a worksheet? One box, or several? What kind of chart do you want to make? scottalockhart wrote: > I would like to make a chart when i type a letter in a box like A,J,S would > = 1 and BK&t would = 2 and so on -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Report based on check box and list box...
I have a form (Change Card List by Status) with a check box (cboNOT) and a list box (lstStatus). There is an Open Report button that opens a report (Report - Change Card List) which uses a query (SQL -Change Card List). What I want to do is have the form open the report where a filter is set to use the values from the check box AND the value selected from the list box to generate the report. What I can't figure out is how to use the check box's value in this filter. If the check box is not checked the the filter would only be based on the list box selection, but if the check...

Help with a combo box
Hi everyone, I am working on a database that will house our print data for our facility. Our print ID is a unique seven digit number followed by the print description. My field is bound by the print ID. When my drop down box is activated, I have my print ID and my print description. My question is can I have my combo box bound to the print ID and have the print name displayed in the combo box? If your print name is in a separate field, I would just select both the ID and the print name in the query for the combo rowsource and then change the number of columns property to 2 and the column ...