impossible to access the "news" from outlook 2003

I wanted to set-up my newsgroups access In outlook 2003.
I followed the documented procedure
(toolbar/standard/customize) from the help menu to add
the "News" selection to the "GO" menu. It worked but when
I exited Outlook and got back later the "news" menu
disappeared. I tried to reinstate it following the same
installation procedure but the News option is no more
available in the "toolbar/customize list".
Looks like a bug.

Has anybody faced the same issue ? Is there a workaround
to access the Newsgroup interface ?

Thanks,
Laurent
0
anonymous (74722)

conflicts between outlook and outlook express. Run
outlook express, tools/options, general tab. Click on
MAKE DEFAULT to the question "this application is the
default news handler". The button must reappeared.
Erik.

0
anonymous (74722)
12/31/2003 6:43:08 PM
It's a known bug. A similar issue you may see is that the news button will
still be there, but it opens the MAPI folder when launched.

--
~jason k

please reply in group. emails directly to me will be printed and laughed at
in the breakroom

> I wanted to set-up my newsgroups access In outlook 2003.
> I followed the documented procedure
> (toolbar/standard/customize) from the help menu to add
> the "News" selection to the "GO" menu. It worked but when
> I exited Outlook and got back later the "news" menu
> disappeared. I tried to reinstate it following the same
> installation procedure but the News option is no more
> available in the "toolbar/customize list".
> Looks like a bug.
>
> Has anybody faced the same issue ? Is there a workaround
> to access the Newsgroup interface ?
>
> Thanks,
> Laurent

Read the multitude of posts in this group.
To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel |
Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express.  If
OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch
it, clear the "Always perform this check..." box and then click the No
button.

You may need to reset the Menu Bar and/or restart Outlook and/or reboot your
machine in order to complete the process.  Not everyone is reporting success
with this method, but try it and see what happens.  If all else fails, you
can always create a desktop shortcut to Outlook Express and include the
/outnews switch -- that gives you the same result as accessing the
newsreader via the News command in Outlook.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> I wanted to set-up my newsgroups access In outlook 2003.
> I followed the documented procedure
> (toolbar/standard/customize) from the help menu to add
> the "News" selection to the "GO" menu. It worked but when
> I exited Outlook and got back later the "news" menu
> disappeared. I tried to reinstate it following the same
> installation procedure but the News option is no more
> available in the "toolbar/customize list".
> Looks like a bug.
>
> Has anybody faced the same issue ? Is there a workaround
> to access the Newsgroup interface ?
>
> Thanks,
> Laurent

0
russval (3097)

Newsgroups in Outlook 2007
By now, I understand that Outlook 2007 doesn't support natively news groups. What I don't understand is why MS would leave that feature out (consistently through all Outlook versions). Any insights/comments/rumors/guesses on why Outlook 2007 doesn't support news groups? ++Hector C. PS. If Thunderbird had a better calendar ... "Hector C." <hhcalderon@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eIcaZBW9HHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > By now, I understand that Outlook 2007 doesn't support natively news > groups. What I don't understand is why MS would lea...

M07 survey, FWIW (May be old news... I'm slow.)
I don't know how long it's been there, but there's a M07 survey posted at http://survey.euro.confirmit.com/wix1/p60164124.aspx. I only happened upon it because I opened a test file that still has "What's new in Microsoft Money" displayed on the home page. I usually have this turned off due to the low useful info : glorified advertising ratio there. Can't say whether they actually do anything with this data--past results would not suggest optimism. But, hey, maybe this is the time these inputs will make a difference? Done. Thanks. -- Peace, BobJ "...

News Group Reader
For some bizare reason the News reader in my Outlook 2003 version is missing. I have gone through the steps in the help file and have added it once to the menu but it's now gone and I cannot find it to get it back. I've also run any of the Office updates again no luck getting it back. I know I've killed it somehow but short of uninstalling Office what options exist? Thanks, Chris See if the following provides you the solution; http://www.sparnaaij.net/faq/news.htm -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To'...

Outlook 2003 Newsreader #3
I upgraded from Office 2000 Pro to 2003 Pro and all was working well, including being able to read Newsgroups by clicking on the News Item on the toolbar. I opened Outlook today and there is no longer a News Item on the toolbar. I tried to add it exactly like I did the first time but it is not where the Help said it should be. It was there the other day when I first set it up and added it to the Toolbar but its gone now. Any help would be appreciated. To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook ...

How to add newsreader to Outlook 2003 with SP1?
I'm trying to follow the instructions of Start the newsgroup reader. But I cannot find the News command in the command list of the Go menu. I'm using Outlook 2003 with SP1. Thanks. To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, clear the "Always perform this check..." box and then click the No button. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com&...

Read/Write messages to Newsgroups and read RSS News
Hello, can you tell me what are the best softwares/plugins so i can Read/Write messages to Newsgroups such as this one and also to read News from RSS feed? Thank You, Miguel Hi Miguel, the best one is the free one from microsoft. You could use Outlook Express as Newsreader -- Gestern gings noch, ICH habe nichts gemacht! ;-) Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de > The Free One? Which one do you mean? As NewsGroups reader i am using Outlook Express but i would like to concentrate everything (Email, Notes, RSS News, Newsgrooup, etc) in Microsoft Outlook 2003. Thanks, Miguel "A...

Outlook 2K3 News Reader
Hi ya'll! I jsut upgraded to Outlook 2003. I was trying to get into the news reader as we did on Outlook XP and found that I had to add the "Go to - News" command to the Go to button. I followed the directions given in the help to do that but don't see the "news" command in the list of commands to choose from. does anyone know another way to get to the news reader on Outlook 2003? Or if not, I know there was a way to alter the shortcut to Outlook Express to only open up as only the news reader. Does anyone remember what that is?? Thanks in advance -- Bruce ...

Outlook 2003 x Newsgroups
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0849_01C46756.68C9A3B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I need to read newgroups with my outlook 2003. This is possible? How to do? Tks Kdti Brazil ------=_NextPart_000_0849_01C46756.68C9A3B0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = ...

THE GREATEST NEWS EVER !
http://www.print-it.blogspot.com << The Greatest News Ever! <RonGrossi_38075@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1112834466.041824.244980@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > > http://www.print-it.blogspot.com << The Greatest News Ever! Free tickets to Martinsville? > ...

news reader #2
Can I use Outlook as a news reader client, if so how?? Please forward replies to bernard@ihug.co.nz ta Bernard Outlook calls Outlook Express for news reading, unless your Admin sets up Public Folders as newsgroups. <bernard@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:0d4001c3a8e7$03ff98a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Can I use Outlook as a news reader client, if so how?? > > Please forward replies to > > bernard@ihug.co.nz > > > ta > > Bernard >-----Original Message----- >Outlook calls Outlook Express for news reading, unless your Admin sets up >Public F...

The Windows Live Newsreader crashes with Outlook running
Windows 7 64-bit & Office 2007. If I start the windows live newsreader while Outlook is running the newsreader will crash. Running the newsreader when Outlook is not running, everything works fine. Any ideas? Error message? Happens sporadically here, too, but relaunching always works. Not sure it's an Outlook issue. I expect Microsoft programs to crash, so I don't notice it that much. -- Russ Valentine "Jerry" <NOSPAMduncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#Z4Xu5MtKHA.3904@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Windows 7 64-bit & Office ...

Load Newsreader in Outlook
How do I add the newsreader to my Outlook menu? I tried following the directions in Outlook 2003, but it told me I could find it in the GO menu and it wasn't there. Thanks. Shannon To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, clear the "Always perform this check..." box and then click the No button. You may need to reset the Menu Bar and/or restart Outlook and/or reboot your machine in orde...

Outlook News gets lost
Here's a kooky problem. I tried clicking on "News" in Outlook 2003, one of the options at the top of the screen. Worked fine. Next day, it broke, displayed the contents of a Windows folder. Out of curiosity, I went to Control Panel -- Internet Options -- Programs, and saw that the entry next to News was blank. I selected Outlook Express as my newsreader (Outlook alone was not on the drop-down menu). I saved the changes, went back to Outlook, "News" worked fine. Next morning, lo and behold, it didn't work. Back to Control Panel stuff, and once again, th...

good news?
Among the benefits claimed for the Office 2007 service pack 2, due out between February and April is: ** Improved functionality in Excel=92s charting mechanism http://blogs.technet.com/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2008/10/22/an= nouncing-service-pack-2-sp2-for-the-2007-microsoft-office-system.aspx Hi, But what exactly is Excel's charting mechanism? Thanks, Shane -- If this helps, please click the Yes button Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Gklass" wrote: > Among the benefits claimed for the Office 2007 service pack 2, due out > between February and April is:...

Make Outlook Open with News?
Could anyone tell me how I could make Outlook open with the newsreader be default? Thank you. Outlook is not a newsreader. Do you mean Outlook Express? You can add the "outnews" or "newsonly" switch to the command line on any shortcut to OE (msimn.exe) to open OE in newsreader only mode. In the Open box, type the following line, and then click OK: "drive:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe" /option -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "tech27" <tech27@mail.anonymizer.com> wrote in message news:bJKUd.48622$NC6.32762@newsread1.mlpsca01.us....

NEWS #2
www.google.agote.net ...

News #5
Hello, Is there any way to read newsgroups in Outlook please? Thank you very much, Andr� Luiz outlook uses oe in a newsonly mode to do newsgroups. However, if you really want something better integrated, there are some 3rd party utilities. See http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/news.htm for more information. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutio...

Msn news spots has studder in audio and video motion.
I have a laptop that had XP-home on it, Removed OS and installed XP-Pro, it has SP3 and all the updates with media player 11 installed, Java and flashplayer I checked for malware, virus etc. and it clean. It has 2meg ram and duo processor. If you just play audio file from the internet it don’t miss a lick, but if you play video and audio like youtube or msn news spot it studders. I have run it on wireless and hard line and it does the same thing. The cpu runs 50 to 90% and the pages file is 20% I don’t see a problem there. I installed the latest video and audio drivers and t...

Test news
Test news sorry Camino Lopez Mi personal page: http://www.buscaconcurso.com/ ...

Bad news...DPM 2010 RC not coming until March
I hear from internal MSFT employees that the DPM 2010 candidate won't be released until sometime around March. This is somewhat disappointing as I was looking to deploy this in several environments. The bright side is that they are trying to polish the product a little further. i've no intention until we have budget for 64 bit machine. Good that they plan to polish it. "techraider04" <techraider04@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEF6D7B3-A93F-4A78-BB1A-36D69B879F05@microsoft.com... >I hear from internal MSFT employees that the DP...

newsgroup access
Hi, Does anyone know of a way that I can setup a desktop shortcut that will open up the newsreader without having to go through Outlook/view/go to/news ? Cheers Andy To create your own shortcut to OE, create a shortcut with one of the following command lines: "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /outnews "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /newsonly http://faq.outlookmvps.org/archives/000738.html -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tip...

Can't Find 'News'
Hi. I'm very new to Outlook 2003. I want to access usenet using Outlook. I found 'News' in the Go menu while customizing a menu. I dragged it to the Standard Menu's Go menu and ran it once but it mysteriously disappeared. I can't even find it when customizing. Any Ideas? Any help will be appreciated. James I wanted to do the same, but I think Outlook doesn't have it. You have to use Outlook Express to get access to newsgroups. That's what I'm using right now. As for that button. I did the same....put the button on my toolbar, and then later it disappeared. I...

News Reader display in the Go Menu
I have recently added the news menu in the go list. It worked once and then dissappeared from the drop down menu. It is also no longer available to add again following the instructions that originally allowed me to add the button. Can anyone help? To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button. You may need to reset the menu ...

news messages not downloading automatically
WLM on win7 I'm an old OE & Windows mail user but now that I have Win7 I am using WLM for reading some of my newsgroups. In OE & WM new messages were automatically downloaded every x minutes based on the setting in Options. It does not seem to be working the same way it did in previous programs. Now I have to actually click on the newsgroup to get the messages to be downloaded. I also used WLM briefly last fall on Vista and I don't recall this behavior so something has changed. Is this a bug or a feature that has changed in WLM. thanks, laura Hi, Laur...

Outlook 2003 News won't stay in option, and 1 annoyance Please help
Hi, This is a second request for help, as maybe the title of my firs request wasn't enough. Let me say, I love Outlook 2003, having sai that I have 2 issues that I just can't seem to resolve, first i regarding using Outlook to read newsgroups. I go into interene options, programs and set OE as the news reader, and it works fine fo that ONE time, then if I try to access the newsreader using the new button (created by following the instructions) it goes to a folde called 1033, and I have to go back to IE options and reset OE as th newsreader because it has been changed to a blank field....