importing mail from Outlook Express 6 to Outlook 2002

I'm trying to move Outlook Express 6 emails to another computer that has
Outlook 2002, but it's not working.

What I did was copy the mail folder with all the .dbx files in it from the
old computer to the new comptuer.  Then used the import procedure under
the File menu.  But, it generates the following error message:

    This mail folder could not be opened.  If another application
    is using this file, please close it and try again.

No other app is touching them.  I noticed that when choosing the file
format to import from, the only option presented for OE was something to
the effect of "Outlook Express 4.x and 5.x."  Notice it didn't say version
6.  Odd.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks,

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/
info1058 (4)

"Analysis&Solutions" <info@analysisandsolutions.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to move Outlook Express 6 emails to another computer that has
> Outlook 2002, but it's not working.
>
> What I did was copy the mail folder with all the .dbx files in it from the
> old computer to the new comptuer.  Then used the import procedure under
> the File menu.  But, it generates the following error message:
>
>     This mail folder could not be opened.  If another application
>     is using this file, please close it and try again.
>
> No other app is touching them.  I noticed that when choosing the file
> format to import from, the only option presented for OE was something to
> the effect of "Outlook Express 4.x and 5.x."  Notice it didn't say version
> 6.  Odd.
>
> Any ideas, please?
>
> Thanks,

Two things - do the files that you copied from OE include the file called
Folders.dbx? And if you used a CD, have you copied the files to your HDD and
removed the "Read-Only" attribute? Those are the two most common reasons for
the import failing.

0
me9 (928)
1/9/2004 4:39:35 PM
Analysis&Solutions <info@analysisandsolutions.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to move Outlook Express 6 emails to another computer that
> has Outlook 2002, but it's not working.
>
> What I did was copy the mail folder with all the .dbx files in it
> from the old computer to the new comptuer.  Then used the import
> procedure under the File menu.

How did you move them between computers?  If by CD, make sure you remove the
"Read-only" attribute from all of the DBX files.

> No other app is touching them.  I noticed that when choosing the file
> format to import from, the only option presented for OE was something
> to the effect of "Outlook Express 4.x and 5.x."  Notice it didn't say
> version

Import them into Outlook Express on the second computer and then, from
there, export them to Outlook.
--
Brian Tillman
Smiths Aerospace

Tillman (1436)
1/9/2004 5:49:30 PM
In <btmlln$8va5n$1@ID-108938.news.uni-berlin.de> "Rifleman" <me9@privacy.net> writes:

>Two things - do the files that you copied from OE include the file called
>Folders.dbx?

I don't know.  I'll check that when I get back to the machine.

>And if you used a CD, have you copied the files to your HDD and
>removed the "Read-Only" attribute?

Not copied from CD, but I'll check the attributes anyway.

Thanks,

--Dan
                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/
info1058 (4)
1/9/2004 7:54:09 PM
In <Oua4wjt1DHA.1924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl> "Brian Tillman" <Tillman@sparkingwire.com> writes:

>Import them into Outlook Express on the second computer and then, from
>there, export them to Outlook.

That's a good idea.  When I get back to the machine, I'll try that and let
y'all know.

Thanks,

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/
info1058 (4)
1/9/2004 7:54:55 PM
In <Oua4wjt1DHA.1924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl> "Brian Tillman" <Tillman@sparkingwire.com> writes:

>Import them into Outlook Express on the second computer and then, from
>there, export them to Outlook.

DING!  That worked perfectly.

Thanks!

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/
info1058 (4)

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

OL 2002 Hanging up When Attaching Docs

Outlook Sales

RMS V2 and QSC Import
I have successfully imported several of my customers products using the QSC Import tool as a test but am unable to import the items with any association with sales tax? The default Sales Tax is TAX which is what I plan on using but once imported it creates a new item code TAX so now I have two? I plan on importing several hundred products and any help would be much appreciated. -Jess Reference- https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/rms/downloads/releases/rms_so_importutility.htm i use the same tool but i dont tell the import utility anything about tax. import the items witho...

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

using the journal on outlook

cannot open hyper links in outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

OE autodelete OLD mail

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

How to import images from Publisher into Picture Manager?
I have images in Publisher that I need to import in to Microsoft office picture manager. How do I do this? Find the source of those images and save them. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Heatherwithaheadache" <Heatherwithaheadache@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1B1DFC9-0639-49BA-8614-A5AC0DDB596D@microsoft.com... >I have images in Publisher that I need to import in to Microsoft office > picture manager. How do I do this? Right-click the picture, save as picture, or copy/paste to a folder. The Picture Manager will search for al...

outlook 2007 e-mail

Outlook context menu lost most options
Hi there. I'd dearly love some help with this matter. It's been going on for months now. Has anyone got any idea how I can sort this issue out? "Jonathan E. (NZ)" <s_pam_stop@hotmail.comTAKEOUTTHESECAPS> wrote in message news:<eYICp6NCFHA.3976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... Hi there, I run outlook 2003. It would seem that the context menu has lost the plot. It looks like outlook has gone into some "mode" other than the one it is usually in by default. I have found that when I right click on any mail folder the context menu has very different options f...