importing email and contacts from a file

I'm running Outlook 2007 and want to import my mail and contacts (address
book) from the saved files of my older outlook.  I've already been using
Outlook for a few weeks and I was wondering if I can merge the existing
e-mails with the mails in the file?
Is it possible?

Thank you!
mgm

0
mgm1 (5)

Never import Outlook data.
To merge the files, just open the older file and copy what you want from it
into the new file.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"mgm" <mgm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Outlook 2007 and want to import my mail and contacts (address
> book) from the saved files of my older outlook.  I've already been using
> Outlook for a few weeks and I was wondering if I can merge the existing
> e-mails with the mails in the file?
> Is it possible?
>
> Thank you!
> mgm

0
russval1 (2100)
5/28/2007 2:17:43 AM
But why?  I've always imported when changing versions or just needing to
re-import due to re-installation.  If there is a valid reason why not -
could you please explain why?  I don't want to be doing something that could
damage the data I have, etc.

Also, when you say "just open the older file and copy.." what I want, what
file would that be, and how would I actually do that Mr. Valentine?

mgm

> Never import Outlook data.
> To merge the files, just open the older file and copy what you want from
> it into the new file.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "mgm" <mgm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running Outlook 2007 and want to import my mail and contacts (address
>> book) from the saved files of my older outlook.  I've already been using
>> Outlook for a few weeks and I was wondering if I can merge the existing
>> e-mails with the mails in the file?
>> Is it possible?
>>
>> Thank you!
>> mgm

0
mgm1 (5)
5/28/2007 6:06:25 AM
All of these answers have been posted here countless times. Never hurts to
read before posting.
Importing an entire PST will corrupt your Outlook profile. Importing PST's
will lose:
1.  Custom Forms
2.  Custom Views
3.  Connections between contacts and activities
4.  Received dates on mail
5.  Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
6.  Journal connections
7.  Distribution Lists
Opening a PST file will preserve all of these. That is why we do not advise
people to import a native file into Outlook.

How do you open a PST file?
File > Open > Outlook Data file.

--
> But why?  I've always imported when changing versions or just needing to
> re-import due to re-installation.  If there is a valid reason why not -
> could you please explain why?  I don't want to be doing something that
> could damage the data I have, etc.
>
> Also, when you say "just open the older file and copy.." what I want, what
> file would that be, and how would I actually do that Mr. Valentine?
>
> mgm
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Never import Outlook data.
>> To merge the files, just open the older file and copy what you want from
>> it into the new file.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "mgm" <mgm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm running Outlook 2007 and want to import my mail and contacts
>>> (address book) from the saved files of my older outlook.  I've already
>>> been using Outlook for a few weeks and I was wondering if I can merge
>>> the existing e-mails with the mails in the file?
>>> Is it possible?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>> mgm

0
russval1 (2100)
5/28/2007 9:00:41 AM
"mgm" <mgm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> But why?  I've always imported when changing versions or just needing to
> re-import due to re-installation.

Then you've been extremely lucky not to have experienced any sort of data
loss or corruption of any kind...

0
gbplinux (1141)

Build Check File report WARNINGS
When we run our payroll build check file report we see no warnings in the report at all. When we prepare to calculate, the calculate screen indicates that warnings exists. Accounting doesn't recall this happening until after the year end updates were applied. Has anyone else seen this issue? Checks seem to still run fine without error. GP 9.00.0314 SQL Server Thanks Brandon ...

contacts in 2003
Is there a way to import a list of contacts into exchange 2003 like you could with 5.5? I have several hundred addresses that I need to create and was hoping I would not have to do it manually. Any suggestions? Nancy Stevens Nstevens@tycoint.com Into AD? See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327620 "Nancy Stevens" <nstevens@tycoint.com> wrote in message news:%23IsuBl8BGHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to import a list of contacts into exchange 2003 like you > could with 5.5? I have several hundred addresses that I need to create > and was h...

CRM Email account for Exchange has thousands of emails in it.
Is it normal for Exchange to store all emails sent to the CRM email account used for the Exchange router? Do I need to do something in CRM or more likely Exchange to purge these? We have a client that has 7000 emails in it after a couple months. -- Thanks, Brian The emails in the CRM email account should be auto-purged. No user intervention is required. On the Exhange box, - Check that the CRM-Exchange Email Router Service is started - Check the Event log. Thanks for this. So now I have found the the email address set up in when installing the CRM Exchange router is wrong...

GUID Token in Email
We have identified an unforseen issue with the GUID tracking token (CRM:0002091939) that is appended to the end of the subject line in CRM tracked emails. Email filters may interpret the token as spam and block the messages before they reach their final destination. Also, having the token in the subject line looks unprofessional and may raise questions and concerns about privacy from customers. Is there any way to take this GUID from the email subject line? Thanks in advance. the tracking token has been a constant cause for complaint since CRM 1.0. In the first release of CRM the token w...

Searching emails for a specific domain name
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: pop Entourage doesn't seem to allow me to seek an email with a specific domain name. The choice &quot;from&quot; only seems to include a person's name, not their domain site. Why doesn't the &quot;from&quot; feature extend to the domain itself? Thanks for the help! <lindafine@ameritech.net> wrote: > Entourage doesn't seem to allow me to seek an email with a specific > domain name. The choice &quot;from&quot; only seems to include a > ...

Trouble sending email-while traveling
I have windows Vista and use windows mail. I now travel for business, here is my problem. I live in Canada temporarly and still use my US internet/email provider to receive my emails, although I use my Canadian email provider to send my email from Canada. While in Canada this works great. I am now in New York and have to send a email to a client from a Motel. I receive my emails fine but CANNOT send any. I receive the following Error Message: the message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing emailSMTP server For help go to help ...

outlook always default email application
Hi I use Outlook 2003 for my callender and OE6 for email Until a week ago, OE6 always remained the default email application unless I installed a patch or updated Outlook, at which time it would set itself as default. Fair enough. Last week I upgraded by BIOS (not sure if this is relevant, but just so you know) Now everytime I turn on Outlook, it becomes default mail programme. In options/ general, OE6 tells me it is not the default. Internet options lists Outlook as default But in Outlook/Options/other the default mail,calender,contacts box is not ticked. I change it all back and OE6 ...

After an email is sent, the sent items folder is displayed. why?
After an email is sent, sometimes the sent folder pops up and displays all the items in the folder. Like you clicked on the folder to view it. I can not find an option to stop this. Any ideas? ...

outlook 2003 and http email
Outlook's support for Http Email seems to be real bad. Is there no way of setting up rules within Outlook that checks what is delivered into a HTTP Inbox and runs the rules It's so annoying that I have to manually move all the messages Is there no way to import rules set in msn to outlook archiving does not work for http e-mails. Is there any kind of http-to-pop3 converter available? On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:01:11 +0530, "__jakal__" <jakal@jakal.com> wrote: >Outlook's support for Http Email seems to be real bad. >Is there no way of setting up ...

combine multiple excel file in to one excel file and multiple worksheet
I am wanting to use the following code to combine worksheets from multiple files. However I would like to be able to select folder which contains files in a more automated way that having to change the code every time, and also copy all worksheets with links and formulas removed. Any help on this is greatly appreciated as I have limited code knowledge. Sub Copy_them() > Dim TargetWkbk As Workbook > Dim mrgWkbk As Workbook > Dim i As Long > Dim Wks As Worksheet > Dim fName As String > Application.ScreenUpdating = False > Set TargetWkbk ...

How do I remove ~WRL0000.tmp files?
Two days ago one of my MS Word folders I was working in started to accumulate a lot of ~WRL1234.tmp files. Usually these disappear after I leave the folder, but today they're still there. How can I delete them? And how can I reset things so they don't start accumulating again? Many Thanks. See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. Tim wrote: > Two days ago one of my...

Exchange Crash -- all we have is the ispriv.edb file
Hello all -- A client of mine never did any exchange 2003 backups, but did copy over the ispriv.edb file over to an external USB harddrive. All we want to do is pull the email out of that directory (8GB file) and put it into .pst files. Then, Ill reinstall Exchange, and open each person's mail box and copy the contents of each .PST file back to the server. My question is: If I only have the ISPRIV.EDB file, how do I get mail out of it ? Is there some super cool easy to use tool for this? ;-) Any help appreciated!! Sincerely, Blake http://wm.quest.com/products/recoverymanage...

Excel 2000 tries to open unrecognizable file on startup
Hi, For the last couple of weeks, when I first open Excel I get a Microsoft Excel Error pop-up window that says "This file is not in a recognizable format....". I am uncertain what file it is trying to open, but when I click "cancel" it opens books1.xls. Which I usually ignore and go into "open file" and pick my excel file. Any idea what is going on? Win98 Excel 2000 -- Thanks - Jeff Jeff I suspect one of two things 1) Excel opens all files in it xlStart folder. Search for this and remove anything without an .xls, xlt extension 2) If you go to Tools&g...

images emailed as a slide show
Created a greeting card in picture manger. Would like to email it in outlook 2007 as a slide show so that the viewer [Outlook 2003]sees the card and not the extraeous items such as toolbars, rulers, etc. Guidance sought Convert to .pdf. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "DC Consultant" <DCConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E936B004-D7C1-4AAA-8DE1-62247A773154@microsoft.com... > Created a greeting card in picture manger. Would like to email it in > o...

email rules
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop how do I get rules to run on emails before they get into my inbox? On 12/19/09 12:37 PM, in article 59baf6a6.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "victorholt@officeformac.com" <victorholt@officeformac.com> wrote: > how do I get rules to run on emails before they get into my inbox? Get Started Lesson: Learn to Setup Rules <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/rules/lesson.html> -- Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>...

Outlook client for CRM V3
We have a client who has users who want to make changes to the 'my contacts' local data group, so they sync their Outlook contacts with CRM. They all use the desktop client. But the save button is greyed out. They have a CRM role assigned with the Outlook sync permission and they have local admin rights. I've also checked they have write permissions to the C:\Documents and Settings\User.Name\Application Data\Microsoft\MSCRM folder and it's subfolders. What else could be disabling the save option? Becuase My Contacts is a default group, I don't think you can make c...

Multiple emails for one contact in distribution list
I have created a group to send out bi-monthly emails from my personal email account. One of the people in the group would like to have the email sent to her work email and to her personal email. I have attempted to add both email addresses to the group, and initially it does. After syncing, however, the personal email disappears from the group list because it is not the primary email listed in the contact. Is there a way to include both email addresses without creating a separate contact for just the personal email? I am running Outlook 2010 beta. My email is through Hotmai...

Default Auto delivery of incomming email...
Hello all, I am an IT support technician who is searching for an answer that one of our Account Managers has asked today. In a strange twist of events, he would like his Outlook client to NOT automatically recieve email, or at the very least, increase the time between automatic deliveries. I have been combing the web for the past hour or so and have been unable to find a solution to his request. IS there a solution? My IT director is telling me that he is unaware of a setting on Exchange Server 2003 that sets how often the server pushes messages to the various accounts. The cli...

How do I send a various page email?
Hi. I have created a catalog in publisher which has 4 pages. How do i e-mail this all at the one time? Convert it to a pdf file and send it as an attachment. Many folks here like the free Primopdf: www.primopdf.com Or if you want an excellent modestly priced pdf creating program, give PDF-XChange a try. They also have a great pdf Tools program. http://www.docu-track.com/downloads/users/ -- Don Vancouver USA "ALVEZ" <ALVEZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE612FFB-BCEB-41A3-9898-D9DC55349ADF@microsoft.com... > Hi. I have created a catalog in pu...

Mpeg Video file
Please help. When I copy and paste an Mpeg movie file / AVI file into my Publisher 2000 system i can then right click and "Change Object", "Media Clip" and "Edit" this allows me to seardch through the video to find the still frame i want and have this then inserted into the document. This works fine on my computer but on my friends computer does not work, the publisher version is the same and the imported video is the same, when he attempts to do the same it comes up with Change package and does not allow him to edit the video at all, I think there must be ...

Missing file still....
I tried running detect and repair and reinstall. Outlook still looks for sku1ca.cab file .... Someone please HELP. -Kyle did you have different versions or suites of office installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Kyle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1b9fc01c420fa$8a7ce410$a401280a@phx.gbl... >I tried running detec...

email virus alerts
I am getting tons of Email virus alerts with the address coming from MS Corporation Public Assistance, MS Corporate Security Internet Department. What does this mean. Is there anyway I can set this up so that it automatically deletes it from my inbox? See www.microsoft.com/security and you'll learn that this junk is not from Microsoft. Spam detector software can usually detect and handle this stuff. Hope this is useful to you. Let us know. rms margie wrote: > I am getting tons of Email virus alerts with the address > coming from MS Corporation Public Assistance, MS ...

Sending Email in Excel
1.) I have a formula in a cell that when clicked, sends an email to recipients in the formula. I have pasted the formula below. What I want to do is put the date after the "End of Day: " part. However, when you click on the link, it gives the serial representation of the date if you use today(). Is there anyway to format so that is shows the date formatted correctly? In cell A1: =HYPERLINK(CONCATENATE("mailto:Person1@abc.com; Person2@abc.com?Subject=End of Day - ",A34,": Acc: ",AB1," for ","$",AA1," | Feats: ",'Enh Feats'...

How can I see which lists a contact is a member of?
Hello, In Outlook 2007, is there a way to see which distribution lists a contact is a member of? We have lots of lists. We want to be sure that if we delete a contact in a group, instead of just removing it from the group, that the contact doesn't exist in other groups as well. Even a way to export to Excel would be ok, if there's nothing else. Thanks, - Alan. The following macro in Outlook will list all the distribution lists containing the name you enter into the dialog box in a Word document Sub ListNames() Dim wdApp As Word.Application Dim wdDoc As Word.Document Dim myNameSp...

Emails getting stuck in Outbox
Hi I am sending a number of emails (around 600) using the vb.net code below. The problem is that the emails end up in the OL2007 Outbox with a clock icon and do not go out. If I open one of the email items and click Send then that item goes out but this technique is too cumbersome for 600 or so emails. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Many Thanks Regards Dim objOutlook As Object = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") Dim NS As Object = objOutlook.GetNamespace("MAPI") Dim objOutlookMsg As Object Dim BodyText As String ...