Importing Addresses/Contacts from Outlook 2000 to 2002

ok...I have a new laptop running Windows XP, and Office
2002, including Outlook 2002.  My old laptop is running
Windows 2000.  I have reinstalled Windows 2000 several
times on many machines, and each time all I have had to do
was replace outlook.pst on the new install with my back-
up'd version, and everything worked fine.

Now on my XP machine, I did the same thing (overwrote the
existing-new outlook.pst) by putting my old outlook.pst
file from Windows 2000 into the proper location on my new
(XP) laptop.  EVERYTHING worked perfect (old email is all
there, Contacts show up, folders are there, etc...

EXCEPT when I open a new email and click the TO button to
find the email address for the person I am sending the
email to, there are NO contacts listed...AT ALL.

So, what did I do wrong?  and...more importantly...how do
I import my contact list to show up where it should?

Thanks much,
Ron

0
needmags (1)

Try going to your old contacts and exporting it to a .pst
file and then copy that file over.  But just the contacts
folder.  OR maybe try exporting the contacts folder to an
excel file and see if you can import the excel file into
Outlook.

0
anonymous (74722)
11/11/2003 7:54:00 PM
Actually I've already tried that and get the same result.
I've exported into pst, and also csv...same problem when I
import into Outlook 2002.

0
anonymous (74722)
11/11/2003 7:59:01 PM
Overwriting a PST is a bad idea. You've only encountered the first of
several problems it can create.
You severed the link between the Outlook Address Book Service and your
Contacts Folder. It should be easy to repair. Remove the service, restart
Outlook and then re-add the service, directing it your current Contacts
Folder.
Next time, just configure Outlook to use your former PST instead of trying
to overwrite your new PST.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Ron" <needmags@excite.com> wrote in message
> ok...I have a new laptop running Windows XP, and Office
> 2002, including Outlook 2002.  My old laptop is running
> Windows 2000.  I have reinstalled Windows 2000 several
> times on many machines, and each time all I have had to do
> was replace outlook.pst on the new install with my back-
> up'd version, and everything worked fine.
>
> Now on my XP machine, I did the same thing (overwrote the
> existing-new outlook.pst) by putting my old outlook.pst
> file from Windows 2000 into the proper location on my new
> (XP) laptop.  EVERYTHING worked perfect (old email is all
> there, Contacts show up, folders are there, etc...
>
> EXCEPT when I open a new email and click the TO button to
> find the email address for the person I am sending the
> email to, there are NO contacts listed...AT ALL.
>
> So, what did I do wrong?  and...more importantly...how do
> I import my contact list to show up where it should?
>
> Thanks much,
> Ron

0
russval (3097)
11/11/2003 9:43:27 PM
>Now on my XP machine, I did the same thing (overwrote the
>existing-new outlook.pst) by putting my old outlook.pst
>file from Windows 2000 into the proper location on my new
>(XP) laptop.  EVERYTHING worked perfect (old email is all
>there, Contacts show up, folders are there, etc...
>
>EXCEPT when I open a new email and click the TO button to
>find the email address for the person I am sending the
>email to, there are NO contacts listed...AT ALL.

Were you using the Personal Address Book in your OL 2000 installation on the
old machine?
--
Brian Tillman
Smiths Aerospace

Tillman (1436)

Max number of Rules in Outlook
Hi everyone: Just a simple question that may be a common curiosity: does anyone know what is the max number of rules I can set up in Outlook? I have reached about 70 rules and the I get the message that there is no further space on the server. Maybe it is just a matter of room and the number it is not a limitation? Thanks for answering. Cheers That's it indeed; you can only store up to 32KB of e-mail rules. Disabled rules don't count but you're properly better of combining some rules or see if they are still needed. -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the mo...

Address book updating...

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Crash on 'Send"

Addressing within Exchange 2003

Importing leads and workflow
We are just implementing CRM and have a couple of lead lists that we want to import (about 5000 records). The sales force would like calls automatically scheduled when the list is imported and would only like 50 calls scheduled per week. I know that I can assign leads based on various criteria to the correct salesperson. However, is there any way that I can create the phone activities and only limit to 50 per week? Does workflow look at the salesperson work schedule at all or will each sales person have 1000 phone calls scheduled for 3 days from when I import? There isn't anything in ...

Reminders in Outlook

Outlook default to paragraph

hyperlinking email addresses

cant start outlook pst file to large