Import to wrong place

When I imported my .pst I accidently dumped it into "personal folders" choice
instead of Outlook Today [personal folders].  Therefore I now have two each
of inbox, calendar, notes, etc.  The folders under Outlook Today in the
folder view are blank.  The folders unders the added personal folder is where
the information is now.  I want to move it all to Outlook Today [personal
folders].  I've tried un-install and re-install the entire Office program,
but the folder settings end up in the same place.  I can move the personal
folders to Outlook Today but it won't let me "move" or "delete" inbox,
calendar...only can copy these and I don't need two copiies of the same
information in two different places......Help !!
0
Mikee (38)

Now you see why importing is always the wrong way to transfer Outlook data.
Just create a new profile and configure it to use the Outlook data file you
want. Do not try to import it.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Mike-E" <MikeE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I imported my .pst I accidently dumped it into "personal folders"
> choice
> instead of Outlook Today [personal folders].  Therefore I now have two
> each
> of inbox, calendar, notes, etc.  The folders under Outlook Today in the
> folder view are blank.  The folders unders the added personal folder is
> where
> the information is now.  I want to move it all to Outlook Today [personal
> folders].  I've tried un-install and re-install the entire Office program,
> but the folder settings end up in the same place.  I can move the personal
> folders to Outlook Today but it won't let me "move" or "delete" inbox,
> calendar...only can copy these and I don't need two copiies of the same
> information in two different places......Help !!

0
russval (3097)
3/6/2005 6:08:40 PM
HI there,

I read your answer and I am very curious, I am a relatively new user.  Why
do you say not to use importing, I am new so I try to read the help and they
say import.  The method you suggest sounds better but what are the details.
How do you do what you suggest- I mean step by step.  I think there are a
lot of people like my self who read you post and want to do it your way, but
lack the experience to actually execute without causing all kinds of
problems.  Are you suggesting to just open from a pst???

0
bob
3/7/2005 12:32:18 AM
Import resets the received date - may be important - is also prone to
errors.
Better to open the second data file and manually move mail.

"bob" <bob@donotspam> wrote in message
> HI there,
>
> I read your answer and I am very curious, I am a relatively new user.  Why
> do you say not to use importing, I am new so I try to read the help and
they
> say import.  The method you suggest sounds better but what are the
details.
> How do you do what you suggest- I mean step by step.  I think there are a
> lot of people like my self who read you post and want to do it your way,
but
> lack the experience to actually execute without causing all kinds of
> problems.  Are you suggesting to just open from a pst???

0
DL
3/7/2005 1:18:50 AM
okay, that sounds great but could you give step by step directions,

sorry but I am really trying to take the advice and I want it to be
executable

0
bob
3/7/2005 2:05:10 AM
You've already seen one reason: importing an entire PST file into an
existing Outlook profile will often corrupt the profile and leave you with
two sets of Personal Folders, and no way to delete the extra.
Here are the other reasons. Importing PST's will lose:
1.  Custom Forms
2.  Custom Views
3.  Connections between contacts and activities
4.  Received dates on mail
5.  Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
6.  Journal connections
7.  Distribution Lists

That is why we do not advise people to import a native file into Outlook.
Instructions on the correct way to migrate data are here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"bob" <bob@donotspam> wrote in message
> HI there,
>
> I read your answer and I am very curious, I am a relatively new user.  Why
> do you say not to use importing, I am new so I try to read the help and
> they
> say import.  The method you suggest sounds better but what are the
> details.
> How do you do what you suggest- I mean step by step.  I think there are a
> lot of people like my self who read you post and want to do it your way,
> but
> lack the experience to actually execute without causing all kinds of
> problems.  Are you suggesting to just open from a pst???

0
russval (3097)

Bulk import of documents
Hi, i am still in the customisation phase but is there a facility to import documents to contacts? the current system is an accountants software package that stores the documents but basically every contact has there own folder which is named by their customer number. thanks there is nothing like this unless you develop or buy such a solution. These documents would have to be added to notes ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft "jjbrisbane" <jjbrisbane@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ukJick$yGHA.12...

Re-import Published Web
I was curious about Publisher 2003 functionality. So I started fooling around with it. I created a website (kind of) in a few hours time that I will be constantly updating since the text in it are things I was blurting out at the time. It is http://drohr.000k.net So, as you can see I have a Publisher 2003 web site. Now, my desktop systems motherboard screwed up (bad ASIC chip) and I need a new one. OK. I am on my laptop for a while. My Publisher file (.pub) is on a SCSI hard drive that I cannot acces now or for a while. I "published" my site, which create an 'index.htm&#...

importing from express to outlook
i have imported messages from outlook express to outlook 2007 all of the folders have appeared and some of the emails however there are a lot of the emails that are not there. can anyone help please thank you Ideally you should export from OE to OL in order to mainatin the modified dates. If you had OE msgs stored in differing folders these would not neccessarily be exported I believe its neccessary to place all the msgs in the root OE folder "jm" <jm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAED6E62-CFEA-4637-B715-071E159F2248@microsoft.com... >i have impo...

Problem importing data form textfile
Hi, We are migrating our database from Access 97 to Access 2003. In our 97 version this line worked fine: DoCmd.TransferText acImportFixed, "HDMARTPC", "tbl3031_HDMARTPCDAT", "C:\HdbDatabase2003\hdmartpc.dat" But in the 2003 version I am getting error 31519 (translated): You can't import this file. It seems that in Access 2003 it is no longer possible to read from a textfile with a suffix .dat, because when I rename my sourcefile to hdmartpc.txt, I can import this file with no problem. I only want to use the option to rename this file as a last resort, bec...

Hard Drive Crash---Import pst file
I have a back-up file (~ 3.3 GB) of Outlook 2007 from crashed hard drive . When I try to import PST file I get the following message: "Errors have been detected in the file" Tried Scanpst.exe to no avail. When I try to open directly from the recovered file using Outlook I get a message that the "attachment size exceeds the allowable limit" Suggestions on how to import/repair PST file would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jimmy Is this backup a copy of a pst file or was it created with some backup software? Is this file located on the current hd? Are...

Import .EXP
Ok, this one's really simple. I want to import .exp files from my Day-Timer. There is an ASCII option but that seems difficult. Anyone got a link/FAQ? Day-Timer Inc. isn't much help. ...

Import Trouble
I had imported a spreadsheet (done by a previous employee) into Access. However, I was informed that the table structure in Access was not functional. The spreadsheet looked like this (but the months go back for two years): GGP Customer Name July Revenue July GP August Revenue August GP So I adjusted my table to be as follows: GGP Customer Date Revenue GP However, now I have two years worth of data that I need to get into the new table structure. So importing doesn't work. I've played around with an Append Query but the only thing I got to populate was GGP,...

import data for user define entity
hi guys How i can import data for user define entity? Regards Hi, The Data Migration Framework only allows to import to the system defined entities. You could either create your own import application based on the SDK (which is fairly simple if you have programming skills), or you could use a third party like Scribe Software. Kind regards, -- Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP Avanade Netherlands http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/ "abboushi" wrote: > hi guys > How i can import data for user define entity? > Regards > ...

importing primary contacts using the bulk import
Hello all, I have successfully imported a csv file of all our accounts i exported the accountid to the contacts import excel sheet and did a vloolkup in excel and imported and matched the contacts to the accounts. Now i want to make one of the contacts a primary user, we did import into the dept a hidden field a Y if the user was going to be a primary user. I have exported out all the contactid and accountid from contactbase for users who have Y in the dept field using SQL ent manager How do i import into the accounts table matching on accountid, and update the primary contactid wi...

Can I import my excel worksheet to my address book
Probably. Will you address book import CSV. Is the excel worksheet setup like you address book. What does it say in the help file? -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "joelcelyn" <joelcelyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD972561-C08E-447E-A56C-647FAC19CBD3@microsoft.com... > This is how I do it. The basics........Your layout may differ. Instructions here are for Name and Email address only, but adjust to suit for more columns. First have the names and email addresses in Excel in two columns. I set up also a third column with the names duplicated so when ...

Import table into database Access 2007
I use code: DoCmd.TransferDatabase acLink, "Microsoft Access", _ stSourceFullPath, acTable, stSourceTable, stNewTable, False but this only works when the source database is .mdb. What would be the codes when the source database is .accbd? On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:43:02 -0700, Manuelauch <Manuelauch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: I just tried and it works fine for me. Are you getting any errors? -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I use code: DoCmd.TransferDatabase acLink, "Microsoft Access", _ > stSourceFullPath, acTable, stSourceTable, stNe...

Imported Money file has corrupt "ghost" bills
I own Microsoft Money 2004 and imported my file into the latest trial version. The problem: I have NO bills in my bills category since I erased them all but for some odd reason the bills (and their alerts) still show up in my main home page. When I click on each bill it goes to the Bills Summary page where there are no bills listed. I have this with 4 bills and it's pretty annoying since I can't erase them or shut them off and they are reoccuring every month. Any ideas for a fixbesides taking hours to make a new money file from scratch?? John Can we be sure that you do mean...

Grabbing the 'node depth' when importing XML as a dataset?
I've decided that instead of doing an XSLT transformation on a file, I might be better off bringing it in as a dataset and having a bit more direct control over it at that point. The question I have is if one can determine the node depth as they import the XML. I could, obviously, just put the node depth in as another xml element at the time of creation, which really isn't a big deal, but thought I'd see if I could do it on the import side first. -Darrel -- ================================================================= Win prizes searching google: http://www.blingo.com...

Import Pipe Delimited File, Parse out certian Fields, create new f
In Excel 2000, how do I take a pipe delimited file, strip out column(field) 6, 10, 11, 21. Then take that data, create a new pipe delimited file, and put the stripped 4 fields in columns 4,5,6,7 of a 15 column(field) new pipe delimited file? I want to do this automatically on a file that contains 1000+ records. What goes in columns 1-3 and 8-15 of the new file? In article <4696CAA0-1DD3-45E3-9627-3FE001611AD2@microsoft.com>, "StarBoy2000" <StarBoy2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In Excel 2000, how do I take a pipe delimited file, strip out column(fiel...

Wrong week number
Hi, (Access 2007) I have a query with an expression in a field like: WEEK: Format$([Table1].[Date1];'ww') Above expression is always giving next week's week number if the day is Sunday. What can it be the problem. Any idea? Best Regards. Art, No, this is not wrong. The date formats use Sunday as the first day of the week by default. If you want it to use another day, you need to specify. Also, drop the $. To start the week on Monday, try it like this: WEEK: Format([Table1].[Date1];'ww';2) -- Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP Art Vandaley wrote: > Hi...

importing schedule into outlook calendar
How do you import a schedule generated in Microsoft Project into your Microsoft Outlook Calendar? and is it a question of importing the schedule or importing the tasks? Hello Project Manager, There is no built-in method from within Project to copy tasks to a user's calendar. If you are using Project 2007, you can send a reminder to the resource a task on their task list, but there is no dynamic link -- if the task changes, you'd need to send another reminder. You can certainly import information manually into Outlook or automate it using code. See the following l...

Wrong appointment times when Entourage syncs with iCal
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap Hello, <br> Whenever I create or accept an appointment in Entourage, when it syncs with iCal, the appointments are always 5 hours later in iCal (the correct time is retained in Entourage). The time zones in both programs are the same, and I can't think of anything else I'm doing that's causing it. Help! <br> Thanks, <br> M This happened to me when I first upgraded to Snow Leopard last year. I tried many, many, many different things (via Applecare support AN...

Createmailbox error C1032227 "Object is of the wrong class"
Attempting to create an Exchange 2003 mailbox using ASP, with domain admin account, I've got this error message : "The object is of the wrong class error id=3Dc1032227 Microsoft CDO for Exchange Management -2147024809" Technical environment: Exchange 2003 v6.5.7226.0 Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition SP1 IIS 6 Native 2003 Active Directory environment This is my code: Set objuser =3D GetObject("LDAP://xx.yy.com/CN=3Dusername,CN=3DUsers,DC=3Dxx,DC=3Dyy,DC=3Dc= om") Set objMailbox =3D objUser 'IMailboxStore interface objMailbox.CreateMailbox "LDAP://CN=3DBanq...

Budget import issue
We are using the Budget Wizard to import a budget from an Excel workbook. At the point of browsing to and locating the existing workbook the worksheets do not populate in the window for selection so we are unable to move forward and import the budget. We have done this successfully in the past - no issues whatsoever. We haven't made any changes to the version of Excel we're using. I have tried copying the workbook and even tried using one that we have successfully imported in the past, same issue. We can select the file but none of the worksheets show for selecti...

What's wrong with VS.NET/2005
At the upcoming MVP Summit, we get a chance to give feedback directly to Microsoft about VS. I have my own list of all the problems of VS.NET/2005, but if you have your own favorite issues (bugs, poor interfaces, etc.) post your comments in this thread, and I'll do my best to see that the comments are presented. I will probably summarize them but I will also collect the original postings and present those as well. So here's a chance to be heard! I'll do what I can to convey all your concerns. joe Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flound...

Problem importing Eudora mail files
System is running XP Pro / Outlook 2002 SP-2. Trying to import mail files from Eudora lite 5.2. The address book info came over fine, but Outlook 2002 cannot seem to read the Eudora mail files. Keep getting an error message "Cannot access application files. Please check to be sure that program is not being accessed by other applications." ...

Importing data without losing calulations or formate
Sorry if reposted, didn't seem to go the first time. Hi, I am wonder if it is possible to have a worksheet setup so that an calculations and formatting are maintained if new or additional data i imported. IE Name Cost x 1 y 2 TOTAL 3 (Sum formula) But if added another row the sum updates. Name Cost x 1 y 2 z 1 TOTAL 4 (Sum formula) I would be cool with doing it via VBA if neccessary. TIA -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, in nearly all cases you won't need VBA. For your example...

CRM 3.0
Hello... I have problem with synchronization MS CR 3.0 server and Outlook client after assign opportunity to new owner. In CRM server everything looks good - it's mean that if I assigned opportunity to new owner, every records (opportunity, tasks, contacts with relationship to opportunity) has new owner. It's good, but... When old owner and new owner of opportunity synchronized theirs Outlook clients and they are looking for a tasks from opportunity in theirs outlook - calendars, they found a problem - old owner has still tasks in his outlook-calendar and new owner didn't f...

Outlook 2002: Sent Mail Stored in Wrong Folder
Hallo, I have just set up an email account (IMAP) and a hotmail account on Outlook. When I send mail, whether it is from Hotmail or the email account that I set up it does not store the sent item in the account from which I sent it - rather it stores it in the Personal Folders - Sent Items folder. How can I set up Outlook so the sent items get stored in the Sent Items folder of the account from which I send it. Thanks. Faz <afazeel@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have just set up an email account (IMAP) and a hotmail account on > Outlook. > > When I send mail, whether it is fr...

importing .xml
How can you import a .xml file into Excel 2002 such that it will make use of the corresponding .xsd? If you simply open the .xml, the data, column headers, etc are not properly formatted for strings that appear to be numbers, dates, etc. Tx for any help. Bernie Yaeger To make Excel use your XSD, you must first attach it to the spreadsheet as an XML Map. You can do this through Data > XML > XML Source..., then click XML Maps... and select the XSD file that corresponds to your XML. For a good example of how do this, see the Office Online article "Turn around expense reports ...